Very bad Random Gen

custom_hero

I wouldn't know, because I did both.

My server is completely vanilla. We chose to do so, so we can decide WHAT to mod.

...but that hasn't stopped me from modding.

So you play vanilla to mod?

What is your overall issue with people providing feedback? I mean, "it can be modded" is a valuable information, particularly when it's being shared how it's actually done. But still it's not just fine and normal that after the release of a new alpha people will applaud and complain about new features, it is valuable information that I understand as requested by the devs. To see how we like what they did, why we like and dislike it, so the game can be further improved.

Is there anything wrong with that, and if so, what exactly?

I've zero problem with feedback.

I've lots of problems with "it sucks, your game is failing, tfp will go bankrupt if you don't fix it exactly the way I say, and i speak for everyone! Oh, and you shouldn't have released an opt-in experimental that's unfinished!".

...but nice attempt to rewrite the narrative here with your feeble straw man argument, kub.

That's why I'm not talking about it. I'm talking about talking about it. And so are you.

Actually talking about it is, however, perfectly fine, at least up to the point where you get developer feedback. Isn't it? Should we not talk about RWG and it's flaws, because there's a rumour floating around that someone might have fixed something?

You quoted the post from the dev who made the system who said directly that he will fix it, so you are either fishing for a debate like you always do, or you are being deliberately obtuse by using the term "rumor". My money is on the former.

Everybody knows the current iteration of RWG is broken, and it's been acknowledged that it will be addressed. What more do you want? A retroactive fix? A written apology in blood?

And the best part is they all but removed ANY way for modders to bring any of it back in a meaningful way. So you ask me to trust but I have to respond with a "not this time" because all Im seeing so far is streamlining.

I beg to differ.

There are more ways than ever to mod the game, and if you really must cling to the old systems then it can be done.

Sure not with just an xml mod or a few sdx mods chucked together, but the sole reason I still play and mod this game is because you can essentially do ANYTHING with it.

I mean just look at medieval for a16. Many parts of that would have been considered impossible by most modders. You just need to know what you are doing :p

I am looking forward to the restart.

Have been happy to be able to play and test A17e, many changes and reworked structural framework, that should bring a way better experience when more content gets added to the framework.

Upgrade random gen would be icing if that comes with the next build.

The RWG is really buggy right now. I'd say give them some time to fix it before making judgement calls, such as 'new RWG is terrible'.

On that note, I've seen some wicked cool seeds in the official Discord server. Just gotta get lucky, I guess.

Just wait until the experimental update comes that isn’t compatible with the past ones and everyone must restart. The weeping hasn’t begun. Oh and guess what fix in particular always requires a full clean and restart? (Look at the thread title).

Technically, that shouldn't be the case anymore though right? Because the map is already generated and saved like Navezgane.

However.. I will gladly restart if RWG is even slightly better than this current iteration.

Technically, that shouldn't be the case anymore though right? Because the map is already generated and saved like Navezgane.

However.. I will gladly restart if RWG is even slightly better than this current iteration.

its not that the current saves will break, its that you wont get the improvements unless you make a new save :p

Y'know, i can forgive just about every point of contention with the RWG, but I cannot STAND walking blindly into invisible radiation zones and losing half of my precious health. Especially if there is an airdrop or miraculously radiation-immune game to hunt, tantalizingly right out of my reach.......also i'm having trouble finding traders (but this may be just bad luck so far).

Y'know, i can forgive just about every point of contention with the RWG, but I cannot STAND walking blindly into invisible radiation zones and losing half of my precious health. Especially if there is an airdrop or miraculously radiation-immune game to hunt, tantalizingly right out of my reach.......also i'm having trouble finding traders (but this may be just bad luck so far).

I would expect the invisi-radiation zones would be on the Pimps "Must Fix Before Stable" list.

Dude.

BUT THE LIGHTING.

What lightning? I haven't had any heavy rain yet in forest areas, just the normal rain with no lightning. I WANT LIGHTNING, TOO :(

(seriously that was something amazing in a16 and I have noticed no heavy rain storms yet... I might have to look at the Forest biome settings in xml to see what the % is and maybe mod that up a few dozen %)

I beg to differ.

There are more ways than ever to mod the game, and if you really must cling to the old systems then it can be done.

Sure not with just an xml mod or a few sdx mods chucked together, but the sole reason I still play and mod this game is because you can essentially do ANYTHING with it.

I mean just look at medieval for a16. Many parts of that would have been considered impossible by most modders. You just need to know what you are doing :p

Haha, those fools, right?, who don't just become professional programmers, like you are one. Getting upset when dozens of hours of their work is just deleted, jeez, don't they know it's just an alpha?

Some people, eh?

I definately have been enjoying messing around with the tga file. My only issue now is the smoothening of the roads and the small (christmas trees) float in the air (like they just don't care). Aside from that the new map editing is pretty BAMF.

Suggest downloading Krita to edit the PNG files. For some reason (im sure its just a setting on my end) transparent PNGs i create in Photoshop causes the world to be layered in asphalt.

Here's a Biome.png I created for an 8k map (reduced in size for the forums and needs more work to make it look more natural)

testbiome.jpg.cc1a8d5bda1dd5a264de4064bd07b63f.jpg

Make sure you use a Pixel Brush, otherwise you will get dither and that causes holes in the landscape. (at least it does for me)

Here is a height map I created using basic shapes and the Difference Clouds render option in Photoshop then Gaussian Blur to smooth things out a bit. (again smaller and saved as a png file for forum post)

testheightmap.jpg.82ad599a79dda9028b809d7a77c1e239.jpg

last bits I need to do for this: Increasing the exposure to increase the darker areas and make the lighter areas pop out and smooth out the paths for the roads is all I would need to do to make this heightmap perfect (for me)

testsplat3.jpg.c01fbeb788fecf4f0929bf05f3745125.jpg

the roads and initial city layout I'm attempting

Thanks to Guppy for showing me where to look. Great Vid btw.

Suggest downloading Krita to edit the PNG files. For some reason (im sure its just a setting on my end) transparent PNGs i create in Photoshop causes the world to be layered in asphalt.

Here's a Biome.png I created for an 8k map (reduced in size for the forums and needs more work to make it look more natural)

Great explanation, I got it working now (with Krita and the pixel brush).

Now all we (at least I) need is

- more biomes

- bigger worlds

Another neat feature would be if you could paint roads with different colors and then have them made out of different materials (like asphalt, hard sod, destroyed stone, etc.) and with different decorations (blocks on the road's surface).

1) i'm generated 10 random worlds from size 8х8. all generated world not contains, big cities, sky scrapers. Then i generated 10 random worlds from size 16х16, world really big, but 50% space is empty (empty landscape). I hope devs fix this

2) 17a RWG square world 8х8 have real size 7.6х7.6=57.76

16a RWG round world R=10 have real size 3.14*10х10=314

314/57.76=5.43

New world 5.43 times smaller, not 2 not 3times, 5.43!!!

last nail for coffin cap a17

even if everything works fine in a17, anyway i will play a16. Because of the large size of the world. it was always very interesting to generate a new, big world and explore it.

a17 - 5.43 times no more interesting

question: do you want to live 15 years or 80? Want to die in 15 years?

80 / 5.5 = 15)))

this is scary. A terrible change in the game.

folks what dou you think about that the RGW has become 5.5 times smaller

folks what dou you think about that the RGW has become 5.5 times smaller

It sucks bad, but look on the bright side you can paint a Biome /sigh

- - - Updated - - -

I have just downloaded 17a 208. created several RWG. explored all the worlds, no big city, no downtown, no skyscrapers. not yet fixed

one-story america

I haven't seen anyone from TFP side even acknowledge this is a problem. Not even my bug report got acknowledged. So yea... good luck.

Archived