Very bad Random Gen

custom_hero

Damn that first one is nice... mountains... and water... almost forgot what they looked like after playing A17

Thanks! All I'm doing is showing what the new stuff they added can do. Like I said before, I'm pretty sure it's nothing but a test world. OFC I'm not a 100% sure, but everything in the past tells me it's going to get better.

That's how road painting works, red is asphalt, green is dirt or gravel (can't recall, I think dirt). I'm not sure where they're assigned, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more colors to use.
That would be nice. It would be ideal if you could actually set that up yourself. Set up a road, with color for the pic, material, surface decoration and width.

That would be nice. It would be ideal if you could actually set that up yourself. Set up a road, with color for the pic, material, surface decoration and width.

That's probably an internal, yet to be exposed xml. I'll muck around with uabe or the other extractor when I get ready to start medieval book 2, and see what's new.

To be honest, the terrain generation itself is quite good. Could use some more height difference sometimes though (more mountains).

The road generation is quite decent. Would like to see less often all the roads crossing the map converging into the central part of the map.

ya'll bout to make me lose my mind.

up. in. here

Here is something to take the edge off:

Yesterday I tried to make a 16k map, it did finish the generation (75 minutes; two previoius attempts led to crashes). I even managed to get into a game once, but it took, I think 15 minutes to load (after generation). I hope that gets fixed as well. Has anybody less problems with that size? I think I heard someone mentioning a 16k map on a server. Should I try to generate another one or wait for top men's further work on the system?

Things that have been made clear by the devs:

16k is temporarily disabled until they improve it

RWG will be at it's former glory under the new system

...so, why is this thread still busy?

I'm running a 12k map right now. Took half an hour to generate, and takes clients about 3-5 minutes just to connect. When a new person logs in, it's a pretty big data pull sending them the map data.

The devs are aware of this, and are working hard to make it better.

I'm running a 12k map right now. Took half an hour to generate, and takes clients about 3-5 minutes just to connect. When a new person logs in, it's a pretty big data pull sending them the map data.

The devs are aware of this, and are working hard to make it better.

Then maybe I need to give it another try, and the 15 mins to start a game are "normal" in this state.

16k world generation is not really disabled, just click "Advanced Generation" on the "New Random World" screen and select the 16k. The world-folder is 1.5 GB, mostly the dtm-files.

I'd wait, but that's me. I wanna play, not watch a load screen for 30min to an hour (which is what the last couple 16k maps took for me, haha)

8k is big enough for now for the Experimental to experiment on. My opinions of course

Tried it again and currently spending the first night on top of ranger station, while a friendly wolf is taking care of zombies downstairs. Works mostly fine, the loading time is obviously terrible and twice there was a freeze of two seconds, that I did not have in smaller world. Of course I'm not sitting in front of the monitor waiting for the game to start. But it's good to know that this works, and time to think about designing a map. Spawnpoint placement is finally possible, zones can be place freely. Future's looking bright, y'all better keep your fingers crossed that we get more biomes to play with. I mean - that can't be the final state, can it? Top men won't settle for five lousy biomes, right? Gais? You over there, I'm not seeing your fingers crossed, get in line, *swings whip*

T...y'all better keep your fingers crossed that we get more biomes to play with. I mean - that can't be the final state, can it? Top men won't settle for five lousy biomes, right?

Well, when one of your lead designers is an artist, things like more than three textures blending together not looking right is a problem, even though literally no player has ever said boo about it. That was the worst change IMO, and I hope that we can find a way to work around the biome limitations.

Here is something to take the edge off:

Yesterday I tried to make a 16k map, it did finish the generation (75 minutes; two previoius attempts led to crashes). I even managed to get into a game once, but it took, I think 15 minutes to load (after generation). I hope that gets fixed as well. Has anybody less problems with that size? I think I heard someone mentioning a 16k map on a server. Should I try to generate another one or wait for top men's further work on the system?

I did a 16k map the day the alpha got released. 75 minutes is about right. Had no problems whatsoever but wouldn´t do it again, because the maps look meh imho no matter the seed. There is no point in wasting time to generate a bigger map right now.

Rest assured RWG will get back to it's previous glory. I own most of the gameplay systems so I've had to give that more attention. Don't worry, it'll get to a much better spot once I can get around to it. It's not a matter of ability it's a matter of time, try not to get those two things confused guys. :)

You're my hero. RWG has always been my favorite part of the game (after four years I still haven't played Navezgane) and I was sad to see a world so flat and monotonous, but I know it's a work in progress and with your skill I have no doubt it will be worth the wait. Cheers! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I kind of feel bad for the Pimps sometimes.

Every single update brings a tsunami of tears from the legions of cry babies.

If you don't like the game, go away, don't play. Nobody will miss you. At all.

You probably already have 1000 hours in an alpha game that cost you well below AAA costs. Call it done and just...go...away.

IMO the map gen is fine. It's not great. It's not bad. It's fine. Same as it always is. It gets different from update to update is about all.

My main complaints about map gen at this point are not that it changes from update to update, but that we have so little ease of control over it considering how many options the game has in general. There are some basic map criteria that should be easily configurable for US to decide how OUR maps end up, and it would alleviate most of the crying. Ok, probably not. Some of you are clearly born to whine.

Whether cities are connected by roads, road density/degredation, city size and quantity, trader quanity and proximity to towns, number of biomes and percent of biome types - all should be readily controlled options - and hopefully will be some day (game didn't even have random gen originally, for those so clueless they don't even know that, now it has some pretty sophisticated random gen for this kind of game trapped in Unity and all they get is crying).

Main reason the do not do this is because 9 out of 10 people in this thread would explode their diapers pissing out tears when their game/server ground to a shrieking halt when they try to make 16x16 maps that are ALL SKYSCRAPERS and other incredibly stupid things, then cry about it on forums when it doesn't work.

More realistic complains are that roads often lead to nothing and/or "big cities" aren't linked by roads like they would be in reality, meaning you may need to explore randomly off into the wilderness and boom, hey, there's a city, with no roads in or out - trippy dude! Same could be said for trading posts, which are often out in the middle of nowhere and/or not where you'd expect them - near SOMETHING. I've literally had TP's 2km away from anything resembling a small town. Cuz the clampets need their personal trader out in BFE.

I'm not a fan of the striped biome thing either, but I wasn't a fan of the patchwork quilt biome thing or any of the other seemingly randomly put together ideas for making unnatural looking maps. Like I said, different is about all we see - not better or worse.

I like the part in this thread where someone argues against cold being to the north and desert to the south. Maybe that person is from south of the equator? Because generally speaking...and this is a game with random map gen that is going to have to work in general terms? Too logical or common sensical?

Archived