A17 Encumbrance

kidmo31

Why are TFP trying to act like they are reinventing the wheel on a basic system. 1. Encumbrance should not be based on item slots it should be a value placed on the individual item like every modern game the past 10 years. You can keep the inventory management but equating a bag full of feathers to the same encumbrance as a sack of rocks is insane and illogical.

I am just saying its a weird development decision. It seems like the team is looking to streamline the system but this is a problem long figured out even by Bethesda if they can sort out their heavy bobby pins. Like pre A17 food. I would die if I ate that much in one sitting to get "Full"

It's basic 'give something at a cost' logic - you're getting more space at the cost of being slowed down a bit. Instead of not being able to take the items at all you can make one trip back to base or a nearby vehicle with storage. Also it's illogical to assume one 7D2D unit of feathers is equivalent in weight, mass, or volume to one unit of rocks - or one minibike, jeep, or gyrocopter for that matter, all of which will only take up one inventory slot - that's the inventory system, it's fine. Giving every item it's own volume, mass, and encumbrance value would be a logistical nightmare and a gamplay PITA. Putting a jeep in your pocket in that case would totally ruin those pants! I'm not even gonna think about the copter - that's the stuff of nightmares. :miserable:

I am a total packrat. The first thing I do in EVERY Bethesda game is open the command console and type "player.modav carryweight 9000" I play them as RPGs, not survival inventory management mini-games. The vast majority of loot in those games is just vendor trash.

I have no doubt even with the slight increase I'll eventually be modding in bigger backpack capacity if I feel I want it - still I get what TFP has done and see it as a genuine improvement. Albeit said before I fill my pockets and get my slow behind eaten by zombies...

Why are TFP trying to act like they are reinventing the wheel on a basic system. 1. Encumbrance should not be based on item slots it should be a value placed on the individual item like every modern game the past 10 years. You can keep the inventory management but equating a bag full of feathers to the same encumbrance as a sack of rocks is insane and illogical.

Games that allow players to build large structures usually eliminate encumbrance as a game mechanic. Fallout 4 has complete weightlessness within build areas once you put components into workbench. Empyrion has no block weights. Neither does Minecraft, Mist Survival or Subnautica. And those are just the games I played recently.

You either a) allow players to build bridges or b) add encumbrance, but not both.

Good luck with that, being encumbered and unable to move after taking ONE concrete block into your inventory.

You do realize its voxel game? With 1x1m building blocks? How many of these made out of literally anything you'd be able to pick and carry?

You wouldn't be able to build anything or dig anything.

This isn't encumbrance, this is "you can get a bigger backpack by spending precious points that you've earned over hours of playing instead of spending those points on other things we've point-gated".

It's basically their version of crafting bigger backpacks, except that you can't actually craft bigger backpacks, you can only earn a backpack equivalent to what you started with in A16 on day 1. Eventually. Or suffer penalties by trying to use the backpack like you did in A16.

Makes perfect sense.

This isn't encumbrance, this is "you can get a bigger backpack by spending precious points that you've earned over hours of playing instead of spending those points on other things we've point-gated".

It's basically their version of crafting bigger backpacks, except that you can't actually craft bigger backpacks, you can only earn a backpack equivalent to what you started with in A16 on day 1. Eventually. Or suffer penalties by trying to use the backpack like you did in A16.

Makes perfect sense.

This is wrong at every point. It does encumber you by slowing you down slightly more with each slot filled. So you can use the entire backpack at any time, but your not strong enough to carry all of that extra stuff and move at full speed is all.

As the OP, its brilliant and everyone of the team and testers loves it. Much better than Skyrim where you can move full speed up until one more feather brings you to a snail walk pace.

This is wrong at every point. It does encumber you by slowing you down slightly more with each slot filled. So you can use the entire backpack at any time, but your not strong enough to carry all of that extra stuff and move at full speed is all.

As the OP, its brilliant and everyone of the team and testers loves it. Much better than Skyrim where you can move full speed up until one more feather brings you to a snail walk pace.

I love it, too! I won't have time until later on, but does the sort function move up items out of the encumbered area? I noticed I had to drag things out of there when I rearranged, would get kinda annoying if I had to keep doing that lol. But, much love; in fact, I am loving everything even with only about 20 minutes of playing.

Hated Bethesda inventory management. Always having to worry about numbers and don't get me started about going through the pages of lists just to find something. Look at FO76, look at how long it takes to pinpoint an item compared to a grid inventory system, it's Bethesda system that's old and dated. Please no weight management.

I much prefer 7dtd system, clean, simple, no scrolling endlessly, search bar....honestly what is the problem, you bring in weight and numbers I think only accountants would find inventory fun.

I like it too. So many people seem to play only to find every minute difference, then scream THIS IS GAME BREAKING!!!

Ummm. This is still alpha. The game is going to change. If that triggers you, move on to something else. Good grief Joel, I have no idea how you can deal with this nonsense.

I like it too. So many people seem to play only to find every minute difference, then scream THIS IS GAME BREAKING!!!

Ummm. This is still alpha. The game is going to change. If that triggers you, move on to something else. Good grief Joel, I have no idea how you can deal with this nonsense.

It's a facet of humanity that people are much more vocal when they don't like something than when they do. For my part I have no problems with the encumbrance system.

More inventory management is the last thing I ever wanted.

what spot they are in does not matter, it's the number of slots filled that matters. Prime laid it out in his streams

It was a bit weird to move things onto the toolbar to prevent you from being encumbered. So the game views toolbelt and backpack as different

Inventory management is an ongoing series of tactical choices. I like that very much as it makes you think.

It is my most profound hope that TFP never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever do this.

Love the new system. Makes the player customize their character to add more backpack space than was ever in vanilla before. That and we found a schematic to add to armor pieces to remove some of the encumbrance slots. That would be cool to have when you have that “death” penalty everyone’s been talking about, since it isn’t tied to level.

Archived