A17 Encumbrance

kidmo31

Why are TFP trying to act like they are reinventing the wheel on a basic system. 1. Encumbrance should not be based on item slots it should be a value placed on the individual item like every modern game the past 10 years. You can keep the inventory management but equating a bag full of feathers to the same encumbrance as a sack of rocks is insane and illogical.

Could not disagree more.

I noticed you didn't complain about being able to carry all those rocks and all that lumber.

If TFP made it your way, we'd never build a damn thing.

It would take to day 100 just to make a tiny shack.

Sorry buddy.... don't agree with you at all.

It's a game mechanic and it's working just the way it should...

... and I'm loving it.

You can always mod it of you don't like it.

I somehow doubt you'll be making stones weigh what they really do

or cement mix

or forges

or workbenches

or anvils

or clay

or scrap iron

or armor

or water

or anything that doesn't benefit you.

My issue isn't with encumbrance. Doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other.

My issue is that there was talk, for months, about having the ability to make larger backpacks at some point.

So much talk about it that it sounded like a sure thing. "We're working on a system that will allow you to make larger backpacks. So you start off with one smaller than the current starter backpack. Then you can make one later on, when you learn the skill, to have the same size you start with now. Then once you have enough points or skill or whatever, you can make one that's about 40% larger than the one you start with."

That's a rough estimation of the conversation, not exact words.

And, obviously, that idea was scrapped, like the other 30+ ideas that were talked about at length over the last 5 years of development. Sad thing is that some of the ideas discussed were actually conceptualized and even shown in videos as working prototypes. Remember the zipline? And the wolf harness pack for extra carrying capacity? And taming? And bathing? The list goes on.

It's just sad that in order to get a lot of the concepts discussed, you have to use a mod, because a modder can figure it out, but the actual game developers can't, or can't be bothered, or just give up because it's too hard.

The new system it's ok but i can't understand why you didn't add a backpack system.. for example a military backpack can provide you with 10 more slots and a school backpack with 5 more slots.. Right now the only thing that you can't customize is your backpack. From the start of the game till the end of it, you are with the same backpack... why?

Gonna be critically honest here without trying to sound like a ♥♥♥♥, but of all the great things I like about A17, encumbrance is something I absolutely loathe. Not specifically the way TFPs did it, just in general in games. It feels like punishing players for looting in a heavily loot based game. You can say it's a choice, but it's like having a ramp for handicap people and telling them it's their choice to use it but if they do they have to carry an extra 80lb all the way up.

I would MUCH rather the slots be locked altogether than to get punished for using them when I inevitably will have to anyway. Ideally, imo, we should start with at least one more full row, if not two, by default. Then have the other rows locked completely and smaller segments of the other rows (like 3 or 4 slots at a time) be unlocked with the perks.

Gonna be critically honest here without trying to sound like a ♥♥♥♥, but of all the great things I like about A17, encumbrance is something I absolutely loathe. Not specifically the way TFPs did it, just in general in games. It feels like punishing players for looting in a heavily loot based game. You can say it's a choice, but it's like having a ramp for handicap people and telling them it's their choice to use it but if they do they have to carry an extra 80lb all the way up.

I would MUCH rather the slots be locked altogether than to get punished for using them when I inevitably will have to anyway. Ideally, imo, we should start with at least one more full row, if not two, by default and smaller segments of the other rows (like 3 or 4 slots at a time) be unlocked with the pack mule perks.

Its also be nice if you didn't get encumbered by using slots that your not supposed to. I bug reported it, but unlocked slots were also effecting movement speed when they shoukdn't be. The deathdebuff also needs to be toned down, its way to severe and bascally turns you useless for an hour. If it lowers stats fine, but not perks too.

It's about the total number of slots in your inventory. Which specific slots you use is irrelevant.

Well thats extremly stupid, whats the point to the encumbrance slots then if every slot causes it? Only the locked slots should be causing it, not my entire inventory. I hope this gets fixed, because its pretty stupid if every slot causes encumbrance in the inventory. Speaking of that, imo the armor skills should also reduce the encumbrance armor causes as well.

My issue isn't with encumbrance. Doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other.

My issue is that there was talk, for months, about having the ability to make larger backpacks at some point.

Game’s not done yet. This could still be done in conjunction to the new system. Doesn’t mean they will do it but this encumbrance system doesn’t preclude it from happening.

So much talk about it that it sounded like a sure thing. "We're working on a system that will allow you to make larger backpacks. So you start off with one smaller than the current starter backpack. Then you can make one later on, when you learn the skill, to have the same size you start with now. Then once you have enough points or skill or whatever, you can make one that's about 40% larger than the one you start with."

Not scrapped completely...there are 40% more slots in A17 than there were in A16. Having all of them being available from the start but at a sacrifice for speed is different than what was talked about but the idea of progressively making those slots turn into more and more free slots fits the idea and as was mentioned doesn’t preclude the other idea from happening eventually.

And, obviously, that idea was scrapped, like the other 30+ ideas that were talked about at length over the last 5 years of development. Sad thing is that some of the ideas discussed were actually conceptualized and even shown in videos as working prototypes. Remember the zipline? And the wolf harness pack for extra carrying capacity? And taming? And bathing? The list goes on.

If you’re simply lamenting about the obvious disappointment that can happen during the editing part of development then I’m sure the devs themselves agree that it’s disappointing when things get cut. Probably many directors, composers, artists, and event planners would also know how you feel. But if you’re displaying an ignorance about how development works and never expected cuts then I’m a bit surprised that paragraph came from you.

Maybe you’ll be glad to know that at least some of the ideas discussed at length haven’t been abandoned completely and have instead been pushed to the next game so that this one can be finished.

It's just sad that in order to get a lot of the concepts discussed, you have to use a mod,

Sad? The fact that modders are able and permitted to do what they do is because of the way the developers approached this game. Cool to be able to get new content using a mod I get but not sad. Sad are all the games out there that can’t be modified at all...

because a modder can figure it out, but the actual game developers can't, or can't be bothered, or just give up because it's too hard.

So the ONLY reasons you can come up with are two that imply incompetence and one that assumes indifference? Were all your preceding paragraphs just an excuse to be able to deliver this last insulting paragraph? Why not add laziness and greed to make it a complete set?

Its also be nice if you didn't get encumbered by using slots that your not supposed to. I bug reported it, but unlocked slots were also effecting movement speed when they shoukdn't be. The deathdebuff also needs to be toned down, its way to severe and bascally turns you useless for an hour. If it lowers stats fine, but not perks too.

I believe it's just a consequence of how they had to do it without overhauling the inventory. I'm not worried about it because I can just use auto-sort.

Regarding the death penalty, I'm fine with temporary attribute debuffs but it's the whole mechanic of losing perks when your attributes go down that I don't like. I died last night about 500m away from my bed and had to go retrieve my stuff and get back to base. I had both of my pack mule perk levels nullified by the death penalty and cold from a blizzard combined. It took forever to get back and was extremely frustrating, and all I was trying to do was get my stuff back and get home after failing a quest.

I don't like encumbrance period. (in any game), However, changing to use a weight system, would be a major change, moreso than the current one.

Of the 2 types, I do prefer this, if we have to have one.

Heavy armor causing a movement penalty though, that's fine. It should move slower than a stealth ninja type.

That's the price for being able to stand there as the tank, while the dps stand back and blastaway. :)

I STILL want more backpack space, buuuttt.... gonna have to try out a few things I spotted in the creative mode.

Early on, when yer grabbing everything in sight, it is a bit more of a pain. Oh well, that's what we get for sitting on the couch alla time

eating cheetos. :p

I believe it's just a consequence of how they had to do it without overhauling the inventory. I'm not worried about it because I can just use auto-sort.

Regarding the death penalty, I'm fine with temporary attribute debuffs but it's the whole mechanic of losing perks when your attributes go down that I don't like. I died last night about 500m away from my bed and had to go retrieve my stuff and get back to base. I had both of my pack mule perk levels nullified by the death penalty and cold from a blizzard combined. It took forever to get back and was extremely frustrating, and all I was trying to do was get my stuff back and get home after failing a quest.

If thats the case i'd have rather the system not exist at all. Its stupid that my unlocked slots also cause encumbrance, its slow enough getting around as it is, I don't need every damn slot slowing me down now too. You can't tell me it can't be coded to check the perk level, and if anything is in those slots cause the slowdown, and to ignore the first 2 rows (before any perks). The encumbrance system would be fine if it worked properly, but the fact it causes me move speed debuffs even using unlocked slots/base slots, shows me the system is not done.

I mean I am not coder, but looking at the xml's there is no way it can't be setup to check what perk level you have, then only apply the speed debuff if a item is in the slots you do not have unlocked.

If thats the case i'd have rather the system not exist at all. Its stupid that my unlocked slots also cause encumbrance, its slow enough getting around as it is, I don't need every damn slot slowing me down now too.

Ah my mistake, I misunderstood you. Yeah that just sounds like a bug that'll get fixed.

I thought I was going to hate this although surprisingly I don't. Was a little disappointed that armor mods don't stack with maxed skill (you can't get more inventory than what is there) but it is what it is.

Did Gazz misspeak as usual? You can have all the top slots empty and stuff in the bottom and you are going to get penalty from what I've seen, Prior to reading this I was assuming it was working as intended.

Personally since this is experimental and still an incomplete game I wait to see what they are going to further do with this. I mean come on the start of the game pre 17 was brain dead easy. You could hold massive amounts of things and that needed to be fixed. This is a good way to do it. Sure you may not like it but well some things we can not control I think this system is much much better than the old but true improvements could be helpful. Keep in mind it is a game not reality and not all games are based on reality. lol

So, by your own admission, TFP is not only marketing but also developing for their next game, before this one is even done.

Didn't this entire community scream outrage when Ark released a DLC mere months before their base game went gold?

That’s what you understood from my post? In what possible way did I admit that TFP is actively marketing and developing their next game? In what universe does saying “Feature A and B that we’ve talked about for this game are not going to make the cut but we like the ideas and will revisit them when we do our next game” = marketing and developing for their next game before finishing this one? Are you saying that if TFP even mentions that something might get pushed back to some future “next game” that that simple statement by itself constitutes reprehensible marketing and since they spent time talking about those features that they ended up possibly postponing that this constitutes unforgivable development?

Please explain what you are talking about because it makes no sense to me.

Maybe you’ll be glad to know that at least some of the ideas discussed at length haven’t been abandoned completely and have instead been pushed to the next game so that this one can be finished.

Is this one of those features? That was during A16 development, BTW, as you can see by the video title and date.

I thought I was going to hate this although surprisingly I don't. Was a little disappointed that armor mods don't stack with maxed skill (you can't get more inventory than what is there) but it is what it is.

Did Gazz misspeak as usual? You can have all the top slots empty and stuff in the bottom and you are going to get penalty from what I've seen, Prior to reading this I was assuming it was working as intended.

Gazz spoke perfectly. The specific slot does not matter. The NUMBER of slots you use determine encumbrance. So yes, you can have ALL the "open" slots empty but that means you can use more of the "closed" slots before being slowed.

So, by your own admission, TFP is not only marketing but also developing for their next game, before this one is even done.

Didn't this entire community scream outrage when Ark released a DLC mere months before their base game went gold?

I think by "Next Game" he meant next Alpha.

Gazz spoke perfectly. The specific slot does not matter. The NUMBER of slots you use determine encumbrance. So yes, you can have ALL the "open" slots empty but that means you can use more of the "closed" slots before being slowed.

Not what I've experienced. Top can have open slots but an item in the encumbered slot brings the penalty.

Archived