A17 Encumbrance

kidmo31

Coding wise, math calculations based on slot instead of per item is soo much easier.

Just imagine the pain in mining if started calculating slowdown/restrictions based on weight per coal ore. Currently, we get the nice ability to carry huge stacks of heavy coal. This makes the game more fun than simply hauling items back and forth because coal is heavy.

The OP does have a good point, but I would prefer fun the way it is. Changing the code would require massive amounts of re-work in not only coding weight calculations, but game play balances such as the example of hauling coal from mining.

IMO, making the game more realistic for hauling using item weight calculations would be less fun.

• 1 month later...
It's basic 'give something at a cost' logic - you're getting more space at the cost of being slowed down a bit. Instead of not being able to take the items at all you can make one trip back to base or a nearby vehicle with storage. Also it's illogical to assume one 7D2D unit of feathers is equivalent in weight, mass, or volume to one unit of rocks - or one minibike, jeep, or gyrocopter for that matter, all of which will only take up one inventory slot - that's the inventory system, it's fine. Giving every item it's own volume, mass, and encumbrance value would be a logistical nightmare and a gamplay PITA. Putting a jeep in your pocket in that case would totally ruin those pants! I'm not even gonna think about the copter - that's the stuff of nightmares. :miserable:

I am a total packrat. The first thing I do in EVERY Bethesda game is open the command console and type "player.modav carryweight 9000" I play them as RPGs, not survival inventory management mini-games. The vast majority of loot in those games is just vendor trash.

I have no doubt even with the slight increase I'll eventually be modding in bigger backpack capacity if I feel I want it - still I get what TFP has done and see it as a genuine improvement. Albeit said before I fill my pockets and get my slow behind eaten by zombies...

I'm 100% in agreement with this guy. I can't play Skyrim without an inventory mod. Encumbrance is the dumbest thing anyone has ever tried to put into a video game. If you want loot to be realistic and challenging, then just limit bag space until you can upgrade your bags. I could stomach that over forcing me to move slow because I filled up the bags with the space you gave me. I mean, there is NO logic, same with Skyrim: I'm carrying two stacks of 200 coal, and two stacks of 1000 Iron, among ALL of the guns and Ammo that fill up my normal bag, but WAIT, this blade of grass and feather just put me over my limit. Now I have to walk / can't move!

Get the heck outta here. Bad call fun pimps, bad call.

I am just saying its a weird development decision. It seems like the team is looking to streamline the system but this is a problem long figured out even by Bethesda if they can sort out their heavy bobby pins. Like pre A17 food. I would die if I ate that much in one sitting to get "Full"

Changing to a weight-based system would absolutely kill this game. In Bethesda games, you are carrying the loot from a dungeon, so weight encumbrance is fine. 7DtD is a building/crafting game where the player needs to regularly haul large amounts of heavy resource over great distances. Weight-based encumbrance would simply not work here.

Much as I was not a fan of encumbrance when A17 dropped, I have grown to love it. I think it is one of the better design choices in A17.

Well thats extremly stupid, whats the point to the encumbrance slots then if every slot causes it? Only the locked slots should be causing it, not my entire inventory. I hope this gets fixed, because its pretty stupid if every slot causes encumbrance in the inventory. Speaking of that, imo the armor skills should also reduce the encumbrance armor causes as well.

If you were forced to continually juggle your inventory so that the items in it were always occupying the unlocked slots, it would be a total PITA. Just counting total slots is a far superior way to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

The new system it's ok but i can't understand why you didn't add a backpack system.. for example a military backpack can provide you with 10 more slots and a school backpack with 5 more slots.. Right now the only thing that you can't customize is your backpack. From the start of the game till the end of it, you are with the same backpack... why?

Armour mods like Extra Pockets exist

Archived