What will your build progression be when A17 comes out?

Manly

I used to always start with Sexual Tyrannosaurus and work my way into Miner 69'er to be able to mine and chop for more than a few swings before collapsing from exhaustion. With the new perk system coming in I think I still might go that route but there are a LOT of new things that looked pretty darn good.

Has anyone given any thought to how they plan to build their survivor after watching Joel's awesome vids?

We are getting close friends....I can feel it in my nethers!!!

I max out scavenging as fast as I can. That directly effects the quality of loot, and with higher levels of scavenging you can loot some seriously good stuff. The problem is staying alive while you do that, which can be a bit of a challenge. I once looted a level 400 or so spiked club - on hit kills, baby! That got me through the next blood moon.

My pal does the looting thing for the first few days and always has good gear and recipes early on. I tend to be super conservative and find a brick building or something and use that as a base and then do the farming thing. I completely agree with you, ravend, Joel said that he was having a hard time with food while testing so I think that I will continue to start up a farm as fast as possible to avoid dying from starvation.

I was kinda hoping someone way smarter than me had a plan on how they were going to spend their perk points with A17 though.

One thing interesting is Joel said that he thinks Sexual Tyran and the new perk Cardio stack. That might be pretty good to start on with my first perk points. Nothing is worse than losing stam super fast.

The other thing I found very interesting is the Living off the Land perk. You gather more resources from animals and farming. That fits in well with the get a farm started early philosophy.

Last but certainly not least for me - the Hammer and forge perk. You aren't going to get much progress on tools and building without a forge. Heck...that might be the first thing I get.

I am pretty excited with the new system. I personally liked sitting around the first night making a bunch of stuff to power up my crafting and it took my attention away from biting my fingernails and jumping at every noise as a newbie level 1 survivor :)

This could be some tough decisions. Usually I'd start with some stamina and then tool/weapon skills. Now tho with needing 6 levels just to get the points for a forge that may be my first thing to save up for. I guess that would depend whether I find a wild forge too but kinda doubt I'll spend any points at all til I know for sure how the forge is going to come into being. Maybe 1 initial point for some stamina and the forge save? Idk, possible.

I'll play it for one week with an open mind. I'll quickly assess what we have seen in videos and come to despise 90% of what people have already vocalized as bad for the fun department. I'll get disgusted with the extremely slow progression/playstyle concentration, lose complete interest and then wait 3-6 months while 17.2, 17.3, 17.4, and 17.5 come out and modders have time to make it an enjoyable, stable, 30-40 person multiplayer supported, competitive, balanced experience.

I'll play it for one week with an open mind. I'll...come to despise 90% of what people have already vocalized as bad for the fun department. I'll get disgusted...lose complete interest...

There's nothing like when someone says that they'll have an open mind, then they completely belie that claim in the next couple sentences.

@JCrook, I believe Roland said that the forge perk only would need 1-2 points to obtain.

My universal tactics for every new Alpha - First I will assess my own abilities when I start a new game to see how good am I at combat and survival to figure out which skills should I add to compensate everything that seems to lack in that regard. Then I will start investing into standard progression skills.

I’m going to start with intellect because then I can make the crafting stations and vehicles. So it makes sense to start there. Combat ways I am a fan of the knife but will start with a club then max out knife perks. I don’t really focus on medication or endurance in A16, but it looks like I will have to in A17

I'm going to start by modifying config files to give me the option of learning all the skills. The specialization they keep pushing may work well for some people, especially in MP, but I want to experience every single skill in a single game.

I also sincerely hope that they've added pause to SP, so we can finally read the in game manual without being jumped by dogs.

There's nothing like when someone says that they'll have an open mind, then they completely belie that claim in the next couple sentences.

@JCrook, I believe Roland said that the forge perk only would need 1-2 points to obtain.

Well...that's exactly what has happened for A15 and A16 for me, so think of it as more of a prediction.

yea, Ok this is gonna sound kinda bad, but the first thing I would do....

...go into the xmls and edit it so I get a few more skill points a level. Yea, I know I should play the version first before I do any edits, but I play mostly SP, so them telling us that it would be almost impossible to max out EVERY perk for a single character, yea I wont let that slide.

Based on what i have seen from the videos on the stats, it is very much like the fallout special. So i will treat it as such. I will do the "super science" build, and go for as intelligence and crafting perks. Then after that i will go with the perception and guns, followed by strength and fortitude.

Fallout has always been broken with intelligence. From 1 to 4, including tactics, the super science build dominates because of fast leveling and tons of skill points. Now fallout 4 actually balanced this out a bit, so it was not too op.

Reth and LawofJohn - Thank you for reminding me of that. It made the game more fun when I pumped up the points you get very slightly on the server my friends and I rent. I think I will feel slightly guilty if I do it right when the new alpha comes out though. Maybe I will wait for awhile to see if they changed the advancement at all. It felt slightly too slow to me in the most recent versions. I don't mind a grind but the skills seemed to always be behind where they should be as I progressed.

Based on what i have seen from the videos on the stats, it is very much like the fallout special. So i will treat it as such. I will do the "super science" build, and go for as intelligence and crafting perks. Then after that i will go with the perception and guns, followed by strength and fortitude.

Fallout has always been broken with intelligence. From 1 to 4, including tactics, the super science build dominates because of fast leveling and tons of skill points. Now fallout 4 actually balanced this out a bit, so it was not too op.

I never would have thought to try that but it makes sense...

All I can say is I am starting to see why people were whining and complaining about how long it is taking. I am usually SUPER patient when it comes to new iterations of games but even I am chomping at the bit!!! :)

I already feel like this alpha will just be borring for me, hence one of the reasons I will pump up the skill points.

Removing the "grind" aspect of the game is a huge deal breaker. This game is def gonna become something like ark, only ark does almost everything better. I LOVED the fact that I could sit there, and raise skills to unlock certin points. I am a HUGE runescape nerd, and leveling skills was one of the reasons I even bought the game to begin with.

I will pump up the skill points, but if there is a mod that will come out that will make the progression like previous alphas, I would prob pick up that mod right away. Just killing zombies and magicaly knowing stuff is a huge turn off for me.

I already feel like this alpha will just be borring for me, hence one of the reasons I will pump up the skill points.

Removing the "grind" aspect of the game is a huge deal breaker. This game is def gonna become something like ark, only ark does almost everything better. I LOVED the fact that I could sit there, and raise skills to unlock certin points. I am a HUGE runescape nerd, and leveling skills was one of the reasons I even bought the game to begin with.

I will pump up the skill points, but if there is a mod that will come out that will make the progression like previous alphas, I would prob pick up that mod right away. Just killing zombies and magicaly knowing stuff is a huge turn off for me.

So lemme understand here. You want a harder grind so you're going to pump up the points and lessen the grind? m I missing something here?

not really. They are already gutting the game I love to dumb it down to "make it less grindy". I am just gonna speed the process up to past a point where I willbe bored of it and can continue on to other games.

I know I can stay on A16, but since A17 will overhaul the entire game, it seems kind of stupid to stay behind. Some people LOVE the grind, to grind skills up to unlock perks. Not to spend points to up str to be able to SPEND MORE POINTS to unlock other stuff. Its a dumb game design.

My priorities:

1. Forge (Need hammer/pickaxe/shovel/metal doors ASAP)

2. Cobblestone

3. Cardio/Stamina

4. Mining (Gotta get tons of stone/iron/coal/nitrate)

5. Blunderbuss & Ammo (Modded mine to have 2 shots, massive spread, and super short range. I'll probably do it again.)

After that I just will see how it goes and work on my base for the first horde night.

yea, Ok this is gonna sound kinda bad, but the first thing I would do....

...go into the xmls and edit it so I get a few more skill points a level. Yea, I know I should play the version first before I do any edits, but I play mostly SP, so them telling us that it would be almost impossible to max out EVERY perk for a single character, yea I wont let that slide.

I'm with you on this, I think they should softcap the max level, bascally you can go to 200 normally, but every level after that takes 2-3x as much exp, and only gives 1 skill point (As opposed to 2 per level in the skill vids Madmole made recently). This way level 200 is more of a softcap, but if you keep playing you can eventually max everything.

I also dislike the removal of books for stuff like auger/chainsaw. It was so nice finding a random auger, then getting luck enough to come across the book so I could repair and upgrade it. Now? we have to heavily invest in a stat then a perk tree to get to it. I kinda prefer the old way tbh.

I also didn't see any indication of what was said about how you get better at stuff by doing, from what I seen in the skill videos, it was all gain exp spend skill points. For example: Pistol, Rifle, Medicine skills to name 3.

As for progression: I usually get Sexual T-Rex asap, as you can't do much if your always out of it fast, and it takes forever to regen, then tool smithing. I generally try to have a forge going on day 1 for iron tools Bit of luck needed here as I may not find enough animals, or enough leather chairs to destroy for leather. If that happens, I usually hope the trader has a working forge or I find one of the few poi's that have a forge spawned in them (like that house with the stone stairs going up outside to the 2nd floor) that works.

In A16 I played more nomadic, my Base was a hole deep in the ground I mainly used as storage and to have forges etc going 24/7, but I would rarely actually be in it. This will work in A17 as well, with the exception that on Horde night, you need to get out of there. From what I get from reading the devs posts, the AI won't dig unless they detect the player, so if there are forges running deep underground they'll still just walk around above them. Only time they would detect you for sure is horde night as they GPS to you bascally.

I've never once built an actual base above ground, I usually use random poi's on horde night, as building a base takes way to long and too many resources for me to bother with, I'd rather be out exploring and looting stuff than mining rocks all day.. At least until I get an auger, once I get an Auger rocks die enmasse. I try to avoid doing much hardcore mining till I get steel tools, or a Auger, whichever comes first, as the amount you get out of stuff is best with steel or a auger.

I also dislike the removal of books for stuff like auger/chainsaw. It was so nice finding a random auger, then getting luck enough to come across the book so I could repair and upgrade it. Now? we have to heavily invest in a stat then a perk tree to get to it. I kinda prefer the old way tbh.

I have always enjoyed that randomness. In the first place, that gives the game more replayability (imo); but in the second place, that seems more appropriate to an apocalypse. I've dreamed up what I would do in an apocalypse, but the places I would go to look for supplies might not have what I expect, thus making me have to try new ideas.

I think it was mentioned that the books still play a role in crafting, even though it isn't to get the recipe. In that way, they might have preserved the feel that we have had.

I have always enjoyed that randomness. In the first place, that gives the game more replayability (imo); but in the second place, that seems more appropriate to an apocalypse. I've dreamed up what I would do in an apocalypse, but the places I would go to look for supplies might not have what I expect, thus making me have to try new ideas.

I think it was mentioned that the books still play a role in crafting, even though it isn't to get the recipe. In that way, they might have preserved the feel that we have had.

I agree on the re-playability and being forced to adapt due to varying luck with the RNGesus.

I get the sense that rewards for scavenging play styles are going to be significantly diminished here by removal of a lot of the books. That was a primary driving factor for searching POI's in the first place. Combine that with the fact that the zombie loot is seriously nerfed, I don't see much reason to even go into a house or kill zombies.

The incentive to do anything in the game is apparently to get experience and magically you get to unlock more items/skills. Everyone is on the same track and forced to play the game, gimp to buff, slowly, and painstakingly as TFP intended. It's a real drag to think about.

Archived