My thoughts after playing alpha 17. Yes, I said 17.

zombo

Hi there, I am from the future. Before I wasn't, but this time I am. Don't ask, it gets weird.

So after extensive playtime with alpha 17, I am ready to give "THEE VERY FIRST" proper impressions and review of this yet to be released alpha... Talk about the ultimate FIRST post yo!

==ALPHA 17 THE REVIEW THE MOVIE THE GAME==

Initial impressions?

Well it was pretty fun. I can't believe how long we ended up waiting to get it. Being from the future n all, it was a long time ago, I think it came out in 2023, or something ridiculous like that. That ended up being a pretty sweet year though. We finally learned Andy Kaufman was indeed dead. Anyways, it had some major problems that the devs needed to rethink.

The JEEP.

Sure it was fun n all, as were all vehicles, but because they didn't rework the road systems, and get rid of frequent oversized ocean like lakes all over impeding travel, AND reduce the insane distance from town to town... driving for the most part remained a pretty boring affair.

The GRYO (yummy!). Again with such huge open landmasses with few interesting points, it just doesn't fly fast enough for me! Can I get a teleporter until you make this world more interesting? The higher up you go the slower it feels and hardly looks like you are moving. Fly low to keep it more interesting I say! Sadly the game can't keep up with faster movement speeds, so I understand this speed limit, a darn right shame.

WEAPON MODS--- This one bugged me the most. There is only a few weapon mods anyone is every really going to care to use, yet you find millions of these things... They are like, the most annoying addition ever. Can I please just loot 1 trash bag and NOT find 10 of these? Ironically fitting- most of which are indeed complete garbage, so I see why people were throwing them out with the trash. Oh but they sell for a good bit of dukes, so money isn't even hard to get now. Did they not test this before releasing this alpha? sheesh!?

They made the right step to get rid of gun parts, which used to be too plentiful, only to fudge it back up with weapon mods. I never knew every grandma on the suburban block, apparently, had 4 silencers and 10 laser attachments!

AI AND PATHING-- Ok great, mobs no longer spin around in place now. Tis a mighty right shame then that they get stuck in falling and landing animation when running at the player, or keep dropping agrro forgetting they were even after my brains a mere moment ago. Cat memory?

SLEEPERS 2.0--- Oh my gosh... It's too predictable... Every gun safe is a sure thing to have a boss or mini boss like zombie. It's like every home is a legend of zelda dungeon with a boss fight at the end for, you guessed it, 5 more laser attachments. And you still can't have hundreds of zombies on screen, so it mostly just ended up feeling like it did in alpha 16. Still fun but, yeah... Cheap spawning instead of actual hoards.

TOO MUCH FOOD!-- Gosh you turn loot abundance to the lowest setting and you still end up finding so much of everything, including food. These guys need to play long dark on hard mode, and make a setting for us who love to starve.

CARRY SPACE TROLL-- yep, they continue to troll us with tiny little bags, yet ever more loot. Things that should just auto scrap on pickup don't, so it just exhausting after 100 hours to loot yet another large structure. Of course if you don't loot everything from a container it won't ever respawn loot, which is annoying if you like to play with respawn on...

Vehicles let you haul big loads around but they don't help you to just hold more on your person. It just isn't fun to run up and down an apartment 50 times to get all the loot you want by later game. So I changed my settings to have larger bags again after a while- much more fun!

Containers showing visuals if they are empty was a huge plus though! Thank you for that!

Bandits- if I had known how lame this would be implemented, and overly scripted and not sandboxed in nature at all, I might have skipped playing this alpha... It's first pass I guess, but... yawn... I did like the occasional raid on my base, but it was not done in the sandbox nature I was hoping for. You don't find them actually looting buildings, and doing player stuff, because that would be very hard to code. So yeah, you find them just kinda... patrolling around, maybe fighting zombies, but otherwise they don't really do much else. Raiding their bases was the best part but, not enough reason to later on. And zombies don't spawn much with them around because the game can't handle large numbers of NPC's. Sad.

MELEE COMBAT OVER HAUL-- Powermoves... great... But on insane difficulty which is all I will play (and zombies always run), you still end up just having to abuse spike traps, or go home. There isn't really any other viable options for survival in the early goings on this mode.

SKILL SYSTEM OVERHAUL- Classes are fun, but I do miss parts of the old system. I'd say the bigger overall picture is the problem though, ultimately it's just too fast and easy to level up and run out of carrots to chase. Which has been my biggest issue with the game ever since I started in alpha 5.

EVENTS?-- Not enough different things that can happen in the world.- Bloodmoons and bandit raids are just not enough. Can we please get a more interesting world, with new interesting problems to overcome? At endgame of every alpha I end up sitting in my decked out base, wishing something more could happen in this world.. Severe drought? lakes drying up? Nuclear winters, I don't know get creative!

==CONCLUSION?==

I am just rambling too much, as my inner cynicism often gets the better of me I suppose. It was fun! As all the alphas were. Had a great time otherwise, and another 100 hours of solid play. I'll see you guys in alpha 18! Honestly, I don't know when that is either. I was far from the future, year battlefield 2042 to be exact (not a very good year), and we still didn't have alpha 18. It was set to be pretty epic from the sounds of it! You could burn entire cities down with the sweet new fire mechanic, and the JOEL MEMORIAL building (in honor of his recent retirement) was really sweet looking new raid dungeon. It was like... the marble palace of junktown, if you can call scrap metal marble anyways. The janky mail box for the place even had joel's beard, sunglasses, and hat on it. On the side in crude graffiti scrawlings it said- JOELBOX written on-top of what clearly used to say MAILBOX. Inside they planned to have feces in there, probably an inside joke by the team to say he was full of... well ya know =3! It was all in good humor though, they were sad to see him go.

and yes... there is still lots of pistols inside of toilets...

You're from the future...and stopped by the 7D2D forums? This is the best use of time travel?

I guess people from the future don't have much to worry about, which must mean we achieved world peace.

Tell us more about your (and our future) utopian society!

You're from the future...and stopped by the 7D2D forums? This is the best use of time travel?

I guess people from the future don't have much to worry about, which must mean we achieved world peace.

Tell us more about your (and our future) utopian society!

Fallout, super mutants everywhere.

Playing 24/7 7D2d

So...does the Type 66 Maser Cannon finally make it into the game?

I've instructed my doctors that they cannot unplug me until I see it.

My upkeep in Chapstick alone is staggering, so I really hope this doesn't take longer than necessary. :\

-Morloc

• 2 weeks later...
whew....can handle all that if my toilet pistols are still a thing....

I really wanna know what logic TFP had going that made them decide to put pistols in toilets in the first place. That has to be the weirdest place i've ever found a gun in a game, even in borderlands series you don't find guns in toilets, the port-a-potty's yes but they are big enough. Besides do you REALLY wanna stick your hand in toilet water thats been there for who knows how long before you happened to lift the lid to check (for some odd reason) for loot in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Brilliant !

To be honest the only ones I see people using are: Scopes, Clip size increases and silencers. Turning the pistol into a full auto gun is just stupid with the games recoil it has and the fact the pistols damage is so bad in the first place that you have to do headshots to get any use out of it. I do wish they'd change recoil to be like in most shooters though where the gun itself doesn't move but your crosshair widens.

Yeah, getting that 187 quality gun with 26 rounds really helps early on.

I have to know, was the JOEL MEMORIAL building filled with the sound of a mechanical keyboard clacking?

Early game I care more about feathers, the bow is my bread and butter, silent, has enough stopping power for most zombies, and ammo is abundant. I rarely even use the pistols like ever, damage is too low and its range is too short. x6 headshto mult is nice, but not when you have a crossbow with 3-4 times the damage and it also has a x4 or x5 headshot mult. My main use for guns, is currently animal hordes, or those fat cops that go all terrorist and suicide bomb. Anything else is usually down with a few shots from a decent xbow. I especally hate the wolfs, if I got the hunting rifle or sniper the bullets for that gun has wolfs/dogs/bears names on them. Can hit them from so far away the ai can't find you at all.

I'd have to agree about all the criticisms the OP mentioned. I've worried that this will be the outcome of a year of waiting.

They are programmers, artists, and gamers.

Game designers? They need to level up that skill a bit more. Know your limitations, know your time frame, know your budget. Any time estimate for feature X you come up with, double it.

I love the game. What I love even more is the IDEA of the game, the potential if you will. I just hope, at the end of the road the developers actually implement the best, most inclusive modding API and highly optimized systems. This game with those ingredients can live a very long vibrant life.

I'd have to agree about all the criticisms the OP mentioned. I've worried that this will be the outcome of a year of waiting.

They are programmers, artists, and gamers.

Game designers? They need to level up that skill a bit more. Know your limitations, know your time frame, know your budget. Any time estimate for feature X you come up with, double it.

I love the game. What I love even more is the IDEA of the game, the potential if you will. I just hope, at the end of the road the developers actually implement the best, most inclusive modding API and highly optimized systems. This game with those ingredients can live a very long vibrant life.

The devs provide the base game, the modders though end up adding so much content that it gets silly later on. Its why i'd never, ever buy a game like elderscrolls or fallout on a console, the lack of free modding ability really hampers the game. Yes I know they can get SOME mods now, but a large portion of them are cutoff because you need the extended script mod which the consoles won't support. Most of the good mods require said extended script support to even run.

If I wasn't modding 7dtd i'd have stopped playing it a while ago at least until something like a17 came along where it completly changes a large portion of the game. The thing I am most excited about? the fact that vechicles supposedly won't fall thru the world anymore, so I can stop taking it apart or taking the wheels off it everytime I get off it to prevent it from poofing. I play nomadic with just a hole in the ground to run a forge/workbench/chemlab 24/7. So my minibikes inventory is super useful for having to go back less.

The devs provide the base game, the modders though end up adding so much content that it gets silly later on. Its why i'd never, ever buy a game like elderscrolls or fallout on a console, the lack of free modding ability really hampers the game. Yes I know they can get SOME mods now, but a large portion of them are cutoff because you need the extended script mod which the consoles won't support. Most of the good mods require said extended script support to even run.

If I wasn't modding 7dtd i'd have stopped playing it a while ago at least until something like a17 came along where it completly changes a large portion of the game. The thing I am most excited about? the fact that vechicles supposedly won't fall thru the world anymore, so I can stop taking it apart or taking the wheels off it everytime I get off it to prevent it from poofing. I play nomadic with just a hole in the ground to run a forge/workbench/chemlab 24/7. So my minibikes inventory is super useful for having to go back less.

Even when they started allowing mods on console for Skyrim, it was a joke.

How many people can you carry on the jeep? It would be cool to carry up to 4. Making big travels on empty creepy roads is part of the zombie survival experience, but with 3 friends is better than just 1. I also hope friends can shoot from the jeep.

How many people can you carry on the jeep? It would be cool to carry up to 4. Making big travels on empty creepy roads is part of the zombie survival experience, but with 3 friends is better than just 1. I also hope friends can shoot from the jeep.

I highly doubt any of that will work. The game HATES multiple people moving at once, the network sync that has to happen seems to be beyond the dev team. Imagine riding in a jeep, only you are about 5 feet BEHIND the jeep. That is my prediction.

The jeep is being designed for a single passenger next to the driver. No word on whether the passenger will be free to shoot or not. As of now there is no getting in the back or even mounting a weapon on the back.

I've not been able to try out the jeep with a passenger or as a passenger so I have no idea if that part is working yet nor whether there are any network sync issues with it.

I'll put to rest the suspense: no, it's not working yet.

Most of the stuff IN the game doesn't work yet.

Are you suggesting that most features in the game are currently broken? That's a pretty sweeping and inaccurate statement.

I tend to agree more with Buggi: "I love the game. What I love even more is the IDEA of the game, the potential if you will."

Of course, unfulfilled potential or not, I cannot find another zombie/survival/crafting game that compares to 7D2D...but I am certainly open to equivalent game recommendations.

Archived