What have u modded to make the game harder

SnowDog1942

Just curious, through XML Ive done several things to make the game more interesting to me and was wondering what others have tried. Im not looking for a massive overhaul, just xml tweaks i can put in myself

Here are things Ive done.

--Gave crawler steve a different walk type so he no longer crawls, this seems to help horde night especially

--made cop explosion radius twice as big

--made cop explosion do about 4x damage to blocks.. maybe 5 times for feral..i forget

--cop and hawaiian shirt zombie more melee damage to blocks (they use same hand i think)

--upped horde numbers in gamestages.xml

-- double cost of all kinds of wood/iron spikes... 25 cost wooden spikes seems esoecially low

--added 1 more game stage consisting of higher cop ratio.. more ferals...less easier zombies

--upped HP of some zeds like the huge biker

May be a few more but i cant think of them.

Anyone else have some other tweaks to try?

I don't currently use all of these:

non-mod:

* 25% loot

* No loot respawn

mod:

* Remove traders and Duke coins (so no use of vending machines)

* Remove combine function of the workbench

* Remove guns -- or -- make gunpowder a lot more expensive to produce (5 each of coal and nitrates, for instance)

* Double all non-POI hostile mob spawn counts (wilderness, for instance, all biomes except snow)

* Remove food/drink from zombie loot

* Remove med kits or halve their heal amount

I'll add more as I remember them. :p

Remove all conditions that remove debuffs. Debuff = death.

find code for health nut perk, change to set wellness to 30 and don't put points into it.

Reduce all harvest counts to 0.

Make all blocks indestructible.

Set all Z's to take x0.001 damage unless headshot, headshot damage x0.1.

Remove all weapons from game.

Create a perk with <effect name="BreathHoldDuration">

<multiply perk_level="0" value="0"/> so you instantly start drowning in water.

I don't currently use all of these:

non-mod:

* 25% loot

* No loot respawn

mod:

* Remove traders and Duke coins (so no use of vending machines)

* Remove combine function of the workbench

* Remove guns -- or -- make gunpowder a lot more expensive to produce (5 each of coal and nitrates, for instance)

* Double all non-POI hostile mob spawn counts (wilderness, for instance, all biomes except snow)

* Remove food/drink from zombie loot

* Remove med kits or halve their heal amount

I'll add more as I remember them. :p

And what weapon is your primary and what is the secondary?

• In my game, Infection kills you in 3 days and antibiotics only delay its effect. The only way to cure it is by using a test vaccine very rarely found in hazmat and soldier zombies only, although it has side effects.

• In order to clean murky water, you first need to find chlorine and filters, which are non-craftable and very rare. Best chances to find them are in hospitals and pharmacies, but only in small amounts. Dirty water also gives you 3 new severe diseases each with an individual cure, so drinking it has actual consequences. Also, to top it off, Goldenrod and Chrysanthemum are rare to find too, and yucca juice requires clean water.

Water and food drops overall are also so scarce, a single bottle of water is a godsend every time. This is great, cause with all these changes looting markets or buying groceries from traders or vending machines is actually very useful, unlike in vanilla.

• Zombie bears and dogs have no give up timer, and can spread diseases other than infection. Zombies also have overall increased damage and buff chances.

• Ferals (now called Feral Wights) always run, and are as hard to take down as they were before. I know bullet sponges are kinda lame, but I also made most decent quality weapons kill most zombies in one headshot for realism.

These are my favorite changes, and I can't imagine playing the game without them anymore due to how much fun and challenge they bring to it.

And what weapon is your primary and what is the secondary?

Spiked club and a crossbow assuming I can find the books otherwise barbed club and bow. You get to be pretty good with head shots after a while and to take fewer chances. :p I've also been playing for months with dead is dead as a rule.

• In my game, Infection kills you in 3 days and antibiotics only delay its effect. The only way to cure it is by using a test vaccine very rarely found in hazmat and soldier zombies only, although it has side effects.

How long is the delay when you take an antibiotic pill and are they slightly more common? This sounds interesting but not so much if I have to either eat pills too often or if the chances of finding the cure before I run out of mess is close to zilch.

• In order to clean murky water, you first need to find chlorine and filters, which are non-craftable and very rare. Best chances to find them are in hospitals and pharmacies, but only in small amounts. Dirty water also gives you 3 new severe diseases each with an individual cure, so drinking it has actual consequences. Also, to top it off, Goldenrod and Chrysanthemum are rare to find too, and yucca juice requires clean water.

So boiling does nothing or does it at least lower the chance of getting a disease?

Water and food drops overall are also so scarce, a single bottle of water is a godsend every time. This is great, cause with all these changes looting markets or buying groceries from traders or vending machines is actually very useful, unlike in vanilla.

I think scarcity and spoilage are important ways to make the game harder in a non-bullet sponge way.

Do you have a thread in the modding section where you’ve shared the changes you made? I’d be interested in trying it out.

1)Bandits with all kinds of weapons

2)Insane difficulty + 2x zombies health

3)Radiation zone populated with extremely tough enemies(like 10-40k hp, always run, and one-hit kill)

P.S. I do not mod it by myself, I found server with all this stuff. And I dint like making game harder with cutting your capabilities, Only with making world conditions harder.

P.P.S But if you like cutting, you may try "200-400% loot ambudance and CRAFTING DISABLED".

How long is the delay when you take an antibiotic pill and are they slightly more common? This sounds interesting but not so much if I have to either eat pills too often or if the chances of finding the cure before I run out of mess is close to zilch.

Pills give you 3 more days, but are more rare than they are in vanilla. If you get infected early, you're somewhat in big trouble, cause you're gonna want to find a hospital or pharmacy if you want good chances of finding them.

So boiling does nothing or does it at least lower the chance of getting a disease?

Yeah, actually. If you don't clean or boil water, you have "contamined water", which is nasty; but if you at least boil it, you get murky water, which is less severe.

I think scarcity and spoilage are important ways to make the game harder in a non-bullet sponge way.

100% agreed, and you'd be surprised how much the gameplay changes when food and water are your first priorities. Finding food such as stews or a pack of cans, which is very rare in my game, feels more rewarding sometimes than finding a good weapon.

Do you have a thread in the modding section where you’ve shared the changes you made? I’d be interested in trying it out.

I have one with the infection mod, but it's outdated. I wanted to release one with the water mod, but I'd rather wait for Alpha 17 first to release and update all my mods, so my work doesn't go to waste :D.

Here you have the infection one, if you want to check it out.

I have one with the infection mod, but it's outdated. I wanted to release one with the water mod, but I'd rather wait for Alpha 17 first to release and update all my mods, so my work doesn't go to waste :D.

Here you have the infection one, if you want to check it out.

Will you create new page for your mod when A17 release and your mod wiil update for last alpha?

A number of changes in ComSenMod make the game harder, even though it's not an explicit goal. Here I've cherry picked the major ones to offer some more ideas.

• Making a campfire requires a torch or candle (do you want to see or eat on your first night? :))
  • All water you find that isn't in a fridge, cooler, or crate is murky.
  • Bedrolls require cloth & cotton.
  • Most female zombies carry basic loot instead of fat zombie loot, which reduces canned food.
  • Storage chests are 'only' as big as a backpack (giving you an incentive to upgrade to storage boxes).
  • Player temperature rises alarmingly when on fire.
  • Loot containers like bookcases and filing cabinets take significantly longer to loot.
  • There are fewer surface rocks, tree stumps, snowberries, pistols in toilets, mining helmets in cars, & medical supplies in air drops.
  • Cacti drop wood instead of yucca fruit.
  • Some food in backpacks is rotten.

I don't find it necessary to mod the game, I choose to restrict myself to change things up. Some of the rules I've chosen:

1. Bows only
  2. Melee only
  3. Unarmed only (tends to mean I only use traps to fight zombies)
  4. No farming
  5. Reinforced prefab base only until day XX
  6. No blocks above concrete even though its day 50
  7. Pistol only
  8. No armor
  9. No traders (Being an older player, I tend to neglect them anyway)
  10. No underground building (Most of my games have this unwritten rule, as it is not fun hiding all the time)

The above restrictions, once chosen, are binding for the entirety of that game. I play Insane Always Run exclusively, as I believe anything less is for new players only. (To avoid adding more grind than real difficulty, I generally won't flip the settings to Insane Always Run until Day 14 or so)

Great idea for a thread.

1. No loot respawns

2. No airdrops

3. Drop everything on death...AND...Don't go back to get my backpack...This Should be put into option menu

4. Birdnests destroyed after opened

5. Oil shale 1000 for 100 petrol/gas

6. Upped the petrol consumption on the bike

7. Lowered by 3/4 of petrol found when taking a car to bits

8. Lowered by 3/4 the amount of cars on the map

9. Removed blocks on roads

10. Cost of gunpowder doubled

11. Cost of bullet tips,bullet casing's,buckshot doubled

12. Can't make paper you have to find it..(But thinking about making a harder recipe)

13. Can't make antibiotics..you have to find it

14. Added that you can unload any weapon...But cant dismantle it unless you have the schematic

15. AloeCream costs 10 aloePlant for 1 aloeCream

Done a few more but can't remember them at such time.

Really some great ideas here hoping to see more.

3. Drop everything on death...AND...Don't go back to get my backpack...This Should be put into option menu

You could always choose "delete everything on death" which does not create a backpack to go back to get. That is an option.

Great idea for a thread.

Really some great ideas here hoping to see more.

Is this because birdnests respawn feathers? I always play with loot respawn off and I honestly don't know. I play with loot respawn off not just to make it harder but I just hate the fact that loot magically re-appears when no one has been there recently. If I needed to make something easier.. turning loot respawn on would be my very dead last resort.

Thanks for the great ideas, Gamer, and everyone.

@ Maharin..Wow i didn't know that thanks..(over 800+ hours)

No problem. I usually dig around in game options when I first start playing them... you never know what you'll find.

And with this game you have to do that with every release. :p

Is this because birdnests respawn feathers?

No they don't respawn eggs and feathers.

It's so i don't keep returning to the same empty bird nests.

Knowing there destroyed,Means every bird nest i see has a chance of eggs or feathers.

I also destroy the rubbish bags you find in biomes and outside buildings for the same reason.

I:

- remove the traders and replace them with a Z (I prefer the last people on earth style of play)

- turn up the number of Zs spawned in the biomes (my cities tend to crawl with Zs)

- generally prefer 64 Zs on 7-days

- turn off loot respawns

- turn up animal spawns

- add vicious versions of all animals that don't have them (chickens, rabbits, boars, and deer MAY attack)

- add all the walk variations to all the Zs so there is more variety to how to kill them (see Zombie Waltz in mods section, though the SDX thing others did is better than what I did)

- Don't use underground bases (I may build them for fun, but I don't use them as a base)

- Usually do 7 days in the open around my base rather than from my base.

I DON"T tend to turn on running all the time because I prefer hordes of weaker Zs over a few harder ones, but I like the idea of night being dangerous so I leave them running at night. I also don't play dead is dead because I like combat engineering and no way am I going to start something and restart it because I happened to make a mistake or a glitch got me.

Great idea for a thread.

1. No loot respawns

2. No airdrops

5. Oil shale 1000 for 100 petrol/gas

6. Upped the petrol consumption on the bike

7. Lowered by 3/4 of petrol found when taking a car to bits

8. Lowered by 3/4 the amount of cars on the map

9. Removed blocks on roads

10. Cost of gunpowder doubled

11. Cost of bullet tips,bullet casing's,buckshot doubled

12. Can't make paper you have to find it..(But thinking about making a harder recipe)

13. Can't make antibiotics..you have to find it

14. Added that you can unload any weapon...But cant dismantle it unless you have the schematic

15. AloeCream costs 10 aloePlant for 1 aloeCream

Harder, no. More grindy, bigtime.

Archived