Im literally getting a pc just for this game lol! (specs advice)

Ttocs

Hi All,

Firstly, first post ftw I have been around the forums a lot before getting info ect but this is the first post yay.

Anyway I have 7D2D on ps4, have had for about a year and love the game, its definitely one of my favs ever =)

Buuut I grew a little tired waiting for some content to come to the console version and am jealous of it all haha so screw it

im treating myself to a tower so I can play it all.

Im not the richest person in the world so unfortunately I cant quite buy the best but here is what a friend from work recommended me through a system builder website and I was wondering if you lot could have a look and see how well you think this game would run on it.

CPU or APU (w/e) AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz 4 core (onboard VEGA GPU)

MotherB Asus - PRIME B350- PLUS ATM AM4

RAM - Kingston - FURY 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2666

Samsun SSD 500gb (wasn't fussed on HD size)

EVGA Supernova psu fan

Wanna start ordering bits ASAP but getting the opinions of you peeps that are actually running the game seems like a good idea first.

ps not fussed on full on graphics but atleast smooth running on mid ish kinda settings. Also plan to edit the godawful "only 8 zombs at a time" on horde night, interested how you think it would hold up to 15-20 active though on ps4 with screamers summoned I get this many with no problem even if after a while the ps4 starts to sound like a hoover lol, damn my p.s is longer than my original message I always do this haha.

-Replies appreciated

-7D2D Fan =)

the cpu (or ASU) has one onboard, I need to find out if I can add one too or if it would be ok to run it since ive always steered clear of that sort of thing (non dedicated/ possible limited future upgrade possibilities) but it seems cheap so yeah need opinions first

ps my knowledge is limited on these kinds of things hence why I asked a workmate for help lol so forgive any ignorance if it isn't blaringly obvious that I need a gpu with this setup ha

edited first post so mention the onboard vega gpu

Separate gpu for a gaming rig. Always. Check out the Ars Technica System Guide and the associated comments to get a feel for good components and the tradeoffs.

GPUs are pretty expensive right now thanks to all the people mining bitcoin and other cryptocurrency, but if you dial back a bit you may be able to find something reasonable. I'm running an NVidia GTX 970 and it's fine.

I'd also recommend you don't get a monitor, mouse, or keyboard without seeing it in person first. You don't have to get the top of the line, but all three of those things need to feel right to you. You'll be spending a lot of time staring at the screen and using the mouse and keyboard, so make sure they're comfortable and feel solid.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies peeps

@ Guppy - so its possible for me to just pop in a separate GPU at a later date? wasn't sure if it would conflict with the onboard one or if they would complement each other / turn one off, not quite sure on the technicalities here

@ CSR - Thx for advice will check that thread out, have read a lot on the forums and from what I gathered this game seems to demand more on the CPU side of things rather than GPU due to the voxel which is why the onboard seemed appealing and maybe ok but ill defo have a rethink with my work buddy lol.

Also I plan not to buy a monitor and to just hdmi it into my tv atm, also wanted to ask if its possible to use my ps4 pad for playing as I prefer it over KB and mouse, I remember using it in the past for an old PS1 emulator but not sure if it could work for this game.

As Guppycur said, avoid APUs like a plague. They're more of a pain in the butt than they're worth. Just get one of the original releases of Ryzen 3 or 5 CPUs and get at least a GTX 1050 or 1060 if you can afford it and live the dream. Otherwise, you'll regret having a powerful system that can't do squat for gaming since that 2400G's onboard graphics will be lucky to run this game at low settings where as a GTX 1060 will run the game on high settings.

It's also very important that the ram you buy is listed in the QVL support list, otherwise, you might be disappointed in the performance which, in case you don't know, ram performance directly impacts Ryzen performance. So the slower the ram, the slower the CPU.

I'd also recommend you don't get a monitor, mouse, or keyboard without seeing it in person first. You don't have to get the top of the line, but all three of those things need to feel right to you. You'll be spending a lot of time staring at the screen and using the mouse and keyboard, so make sure they're comfortable and feel solid.

I agree. With LED screen technologies being all over the place lately, it's really difficult to make a satisfying choice. I almost wish they still made LCD screens as those were simpler and had less flaws (in my opinion).

Separate gpu for a gaming rig. Always. Check out the Ars Technica System Guide and the associated comments to get a feel for good components and the tradeoffs.

GPUs are pretty expensive right now thanks to all the people mining bitcoin and other cryptocurrency, but if you dial back a bit you may be able to find something reasonable. I'm running an NVidia GTX 970 and it's fine.

Good Luck!

Lets hope that they will become cheap, when the crypto-boom will end :)

The only use I have ever found for an onboard GPU was to run a 2nd monitor but that typically doesn't help with a gaming rig.

Nice for work if you use multiple applications, giant spreadsheets, or anything of the sort.

But onboard GPU for gaming? No! Never! No!

Having more CPU cores typically doesn't help at all with games. I tend to shoot for a quad core.

A few applications like rendering or other heavy number crunching can sometimes use more cores but if you do anything like that... you'd know.

First, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz 4 core (onboard VEGA GPU) - onboard GPU is more then enough for 7DTD!!! But for playing other games is not enough. Do not worry, your MBoard have PCI-E x16 slot, you may buy and install GPU later, anytime, without problems. But for first time exceptionally for 7DTD onboard GPU is enough, even more then enough, tested. This game more depends on CPU and RAM size.

Yeh You want to avoid the onboard ones like they're the plague. It might work in the short term but make sure you're prepared to get a separate one down the line.

I'd reccomend a minimum of a Geforce 1070 if you wanna be able to play anything released for a while, Stay away from Amd gpus and i'd say CPU's as well with what I been hearing lately. They are cheaper for a reason and you get what you pay for.

I have an APU system from 2012 with an AMD A8 APU. It would run 7 day to die at 18-35 FPS depending on where I was, with cities giving lower FPS. After putting in a GPU from the same time I was able to turn textures up to Half and run it at much higher FPS.

So APU is not absolutely crippling, but the fact that it uses your system RAM instead of having dedicated video RAM on a GPU can make a huge difference. Given that RAM and high-end GPU's are both overpriced currently due to crypto-currency, you might see if you can find even a low end, cheap GPU and go with less RAM to compensate for the price.

I'm sure they will, but there's some question if the used cards will be worn out from heavy use and/or overclocking. I'd be leery about it just based on the durability of the fan on the card, even if there isn't any issue with the actual silicon.

Thanks for the replies peeps

@ Guppy - so its possible for me to just pop in a separate GPU at a later date? wasn't sure if it would conflict with the onboard one or if they would complement each other / turn one off, not quite sure on the technicalities here

@ CSR - Thx for advice will check that thread out, have read a lot on the forums and from what I gathered this game seems to demand more on the CPU side of things rather than GPU due to the voxel which is why the onboard seemed appealing and maybe ok but ill defo have a rethink with my work buddy lol.

Also I plan not to buy a monitor and to just hdmi it into my tv atm, also wanted to ask if its possible to use my ps4 pad for playing as I prefer it over KB and mouse, I remember using it in the past for an old PS1 emulator but not sure if it could work for this game.

You can connect a PS4 controller to a PC if you install some software that fools the PC into thinking you've got an XBox controller. I'd looked into that a few years ago for my son, but never implemented it. That said, I don't know how well that will work. There's an option under controls to "allow controller", but everything seems keyboard/mouse oriented. I'd see if anyone has actually done that (maybe search the forums here.)

If you're in a real cash crunch you can try using the onboard graphics first, but I'd expect to be disappointed.

I'd reccomend a minimum of a Geforce 1070 if you wanna be able to play anything released for a while, Stay away from Amd gpus and i'd say CPU's as well with what I been hearing lately. They are cheaper for a reason and you get what you pay for.

A 1060 will still run most games out there but you may have to adjust a setting or two down. Realistically, most games at "max" settings are only slightly better than more sane settings. You mileage may vary but is it really worth an extra $300 - $800 to get a few extra frames and a little ego stroking?

IMHO, future-proof it by going to 32GB RAM.

@ Maharin, my OC'ed 1060 runs just about everything at full settings. Just be sure to get the 6GB version. Anything higher than a 1060 is really only needed for VR or heavy 4k gaming.

Mine is only mildly overclocked and I've come to same conclusion (also using 6GB version). At 1080p you don't need more than this card. I even run with two monitors and never have a significant issue. I have 32GB of RAM as well and could easily argue there is little point to having less if you game.

I'm sure they will, but there's some question if the used cards will be worn out from heavy use and/or overclocking. I'd be leery about it just based on the durability of the fan on the card, even if there isn't any issue with the actual silicon.

I took that as he was referring to the price of new cards going down in price when the demand dropped...

I expect it to take years for crypto stuff to slow down as more versions of it keep popping up giving ppl more options to make money from it.

First, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz 4 core (onboard VEGA GPU) - onboard GPU is more then enough for 7DTD!!! But for playing other games is not enough. Do not worry, your MBoard have PCI-E x16 slot, you may buy and install GPU later, anytime, without problems. But for first time exceptionally for 7DTD onboard GPU is enough, even more then enough, tested. This game more depends on CPU and RAM size.

While the 2400g will run this game on low settings, it's still not a smart way to go. It'd be like buying a sports car and installing dinky little spare tires on it... completely hindering it's performance. If you're going to build a powerful gaming computer, don't insult it with onboard graphics, plain and simple.

Wrong in every way possible.

GTX 1050 and GTX 1060 is still the best bang per dollar. GTX 1060 is more than capable of running any and all games on high+ settings @1080p 60 fps+ with any game currently out there right now and will continue to be powerful enough to run any game for several years to come. GTX 1070 might be a step up from that, but it's only a small step up and isn't a good value.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with AMD right now. AMD is kicking serious ass right now with their Ryzen CPUs and they have Intel sweating their balls off because of it. Intel was forced to lower their prices because of AMD's latest CPUs, but their overall market share still keeps them far ahead which is why they continue to charge more than they're worth. "You get what you pay for" does not apply to CPUs at all, I'm not sure it ever has. Also, you don't need the very best CPUs to feel dominant in gaming. Even a $100 CPU can still run the latest games on highest graphics settings with high FPS.

Maybe do some research next time before posting nonsense.

I'd say stay away from people telling you to stay away because of unspecified rumors.

"You get what you pay for" does not apply to CPUs at all, I'm not sure it ever has. Also, you don't need the very best CPUs to feel dominant in gaming. Even a $100 CPU can still run the latest games on highest graphics settings with high FPS.

Maybe do some research next time before posting nonsense.

I just wanted to quote this and emphasize it even more. I'm running an i7-3930k (circa 2011) with a Evo212 cooler. The chip overclocks stable at 4.2Ghz normal, and 4.8Ghz on turbo. With 6 cores pushing that (12 virtual), it currently clocks barely 10% slower than most of the latest/fastest CPU's. It's only 15% slower than AMD's most recent high-end CPU. I could push it to 4.5/5.0Ghz values as it sits right now, but tends to run a bit hot with the Evo 212 in those ranges. I know it will run a base stable 5.0 with a god liquid cooling system, and at that speed it will come damn close to the same speeds as CPU's that are 7 years newer than it is.

And really, you don't need much more power than that. Almost nothing currently available in regular PC gaming will push the limits of that system.

Archived