Im literally getting a pc just for this game lol! (specs advice)

Ttocs

A precaution concerning Ryzen. No clue how it compares to Spectre or Meltdown but it looks bad.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/a-raft-of-flaws-in-amd-chips-make-bad-hacks-much-much-worse/

I think there's no way to win these days.

So... when is the Raspberrry Pi version of 7DTD coming out? :p

Read it... laughed at it... would still buy and recommend again.

Everything has vulnerabilities. And it's like winning the lottery when it comes to someone finding them and using them against you. I bet no one here has ever gotten their computer "hacked" before. Everyone's gotten viruses and stuff like that... but hacked? Cmon, that's 1 in a million chance no matter how "vulnerable" something is.

Also, I would imagine they're already working on a Bios update to fix that dinky little vulnerability by now.

Read it... laughed at it... would still buy and recommend again.

Everything has vulnerabilities. And it's like winning the lottery when it comes to someone finding them and using them against you. I bet no one here has ever gotten their computer "hacked" before. Everyone's gotten viruses and stuff like that... but hacked? Cmon, that's 1 in a million chance no matter how "vulnerable" something is.

Also, I would imagine they're already working on a Bios update to fix that dinky little vulnerability by now.

A mild dose of reality: Getting hacked doesn't mean a person sitting at a terminal somewhere running scripts trying to break into your computer. Hackers these days ARE the viruses you get through email or downloading apps and web sites you go to. People don't hack computers anymore, programs do.

A mild dose of reality: Getting hacked doesn't mean a person sitting at a terminal somewhere running scripts trying to break into your computer. Hackers these days ARE the viruses you get through email or downloading apps and web sites you go to. People don't hack computers anymore, programs do.

Yes, but when was the last time you heard of anyone's computer being completely bricked because of a virus? I personally haven't seen it happen since 14-15 years ago when a client got a bios virus which was easily swapped out at the time. These days, sure, viruses happen requiring a format and re-installation of the OS which is no big deal. But the thing is, viruses only happen when you jump into risky stuff. If you're going on risky websites or download risky stuff with your very important business computer filled with very important information, then you deserve to receive viruses that ruin it all for you. There's a reason why most ppl have multiple computers. There's your important computer which you keep offline for the most part, and there's the throw-away computer which does all the risky stuff and don't care about.

You can have the best hardware with no known vulnerabilities and still get owned by viruses. So what's the point in worrying about it in a CPU, especially when it's likely just going to get fixed in an update long before anyone ever get compromised by it?

Just wondering why he didn't go with the 6 core Ryzen 5 1600... Later on you'll want those 2 extra cores...

Cuz it doesn't come with the onboard graphics. I specifically bought my 1600x because it didn't come with onboard graphics. I don't know why anyone would purposely buy APUs aside from mobile stuff and laptops.

If you just want a simple inexpensive rig, just look at the budget cpus with the highest clock speeds and then look at the GeForce 1050ti. Should be less than or around $150 for the gpu. With a modest cpu and memory (4-8 gb) you can easily build for less than $600. Just to remember though, modern games don't significantly benefit from more than 4 cores, but some don't run well on less than 4 physical cores. Onboard graphics have improved immensely but will not run many games at high detail efficiently. A game like 7d2d on low to mid settings will play but I wouldn't expect insane fps. If you plan on doing collapses I'd recommend at least 16gb of ram, less if you aren't ever going to be doing that. This game is really more taxing on cpu and memory. I am currently running the 1050ti and get between 45 - 60 fps at 1080p.

But the thing is, viruses only happen when you jump into risky stuff.

That's not true anymore, if it ever was. There have been a lot of high profile sites hijacked that wouldn't otherwise be considered "risky" to visit. There have been updates of well known, previously considered secure software that have been hijacked, infecting many for doing nothing more than getting "security" updates for their software.

But, ignoring updates or thinking nothing is to be done is irresponsible. Thinking your platform of choice (CPU/GPU/OS/whatever) is somehow exempt is also risky.

That's not true anymore, if it ever was. There have been a lot of high profile sites hijacked that wouldn't otherwise be considered "risky" to visit. There have been updates of well known, previously considered secure software that have been hijacked, infecting many for doing nothing more than getting "security" updates for their software.

This is why you never turn off AdBlock, and if anything in your browser looks "wrong" or ESPECIALLY like a Windows folder, task manager > End Program. Yes, the thing that gives you a confirmation dialog specifically stating data will not be saved. And then run your anti-virus, anti-malware, Kaspersky, Housecall, and anything else you have for it.

This is why you never turn off AdBlock, and if anything in your browser looks "wrong" or ESPECIALLY like a Windows folder, task manager > End Program. Yes, the thing that gives you a confirmation dialog specifically stating data will not be saved. And then run your anti-virus, anti-malware, Kaspersky, Housecall, and anything else you have for it.

Ya, Adblock is definitely a must have addon for your browser(s). I use both Adblock and Adblock Plus on all of my machines. Don't know if having both is excessive, but frankly, I couldn't care less. It doesn't affect my browsing performance and together, they work great, especially against Youtube ads which I keep forgetting exists.

But ya, I've never been worried about getting hacked or getting viruses cuz I keep backups of everything and formatting / re-installing windows doesn't take long. By the end of the day, you wouldn't even be capable of telling the difference of before and after the format aside from my browsing history being empty. And my gaming rig doesn't use the internet much at all so it's never seen a virus. So why would I worry?

Hey guys i read your advice and plus my own bias against shared memory onboard gpu and went for an overhaul on the rig.

Heres what i settled with in the end for a decent price was only 50£ more than the one from my OP

CPU i7 6700k 4GHz

GPU Evga GTX 960 2GB GDDR5

RAM 8gb Hynix DDR4

SSD 60BG Sandisk

HD 1TB Seagate 7000rpm

MB Asrock Z170 PRO4 Motherboard (for overclocking)

Evga PSU

Cooler Master Hyper TX3i cpu cooler

Watercooling system

Getting another 8GB RAM probably be my first upgrade and ill stick with that after for a while should be more than enough for

this game and a few others I wanna try (LoL, AoE3[can finally play 8 player 40min treaty yay])

Also chose to stick with Win7 over 10 since 7D2D is my main goal to run atm so i didnt think the Directx11 support was needed and i prefer 7 anyway =P thoughts on this?

Will be DLing 7days tommorow on it and finally get my hands on all the extra content is has over PS4.

As for using my ps4 pad ive learned about the new electricity on off mechans and not sure if its feasable, will look more into this or maybe someone knows a nice tool/program I can use to save me looking would be great d^.^b

cheers again for you lots help, much appreciated

You might want to go with a higher memory video card (960 is fine, but 2GB of video RAM will likely leave you wanting). And, seriously, go with 16GB of main RAM if you can afford it. It's like adding a second monitor... once you've done it you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. :p

EDIT: Windows 7 ends support in January of 2020. If you will be keeping this rig longer than that then you might just want to go with Windows 10. I didn't but then I'm one of those Linux nerds.

Kool thats good to know i think ill stick with win7 for a while then, as for the ram and gpu this is the most i can afford atm. Might order another 8gb RAM at end of the month but if all goes well before then I might just save my moneys if i dont think i need it =D

60GB SSD will fill near instantly even if all you want on there is the OS. Besides, this game runs far better on an SSD, so you'll at least want to install this game on it.

GTX 1050 is probably a lot cheaper and not that much worse than the GTX 960... and easier to find as well. This game can use up to 3GB of video memory on full texture size, so just something to consider. 2GB video memory would likely be fine on half texture size though.

EVGA PSU, while a very nice option as I plan on buying one for myself someday, you do pay a lot extra for that level of shiny. You also didn't mention the wattage which is kind of important.

Water cooling is a waste of money in my opinion, and far too risky and requires maintenance. There's plenty of aftermarket fan coolers out there that can perform nearly as well for a lot less money.

I agree with the others on the 16GB (2x8GB) sticks of ram, leaving 2 empty slots for future upgrades if ever needed.

Windows 7 for the win! :) DirectX 12 is a joke in my opinion, totally not worth getting Win10 just for that.

Windows 7 ends support in January of 2020. If you will be keeping this rig longer than that then you might just want to go with Windows 10. I didn't but then I'm one of those Linux nerds.

I thought the support ended years ago? Or are you referring to the Driver support? If that's the case, we'll see about that. As long as the popularity with Windows 7 remains high, hardware manufacturers will have no choice but to continue supporting it. Besides, Windows 8 drivers are pretty much the same.

Windows 7 for the win! :) DirectX 12 is a joke in my opinion, totally not worth getting Win10 just for that.

I thought the support ended years ago? Or are you referring to the Driver support? If that's the case, we'll see about that. As long as the popularity with Windows 7 remains high, hardware manufacturers will have no choice but to continue supporting it. Besides, Windows 8 drivers are pretty much the same.

in 2020 microsoft stop supporting w7, same as windows xp in 2014

Yes, but when was the last time you heard of anyone's computer being completely bricked because of a virus? I personally haven't seen it happen since 14-15 years ago when a client got a bios virus which was easily swapped out at the time. These days, sure, viruses happen requiring a format and re-installation of the OS which is no big deal. But the thing is, viruses only happen when you jump into risky stuff. If you're going on risky websites or download risky stuff with your very important business computer filled with very important information, then you deserve to receive viruses that ruin it all for you. There's a reason why most ppl have multiple computers. There's your important computer which you keep offline for the most part, and there's the throw-away computer which does all the risky stuff and don't care about.

You can have the best hardware with no known vulnerabilities and still get owned by viruses. So what's the point in worrying about it in a CPU, especially when it's likely just going to get fixed in an update long before anyone ever get compromised by it?

I don't disagree with your general sentiment, and being able to exploit this vulnerability seems to require root access anyway, but the money isn't in bricking someone's PC, it's in being able to run it as part of a bot net that you rent out, or use for crypto mining. Or to threaten to brick in a ransomware scheme. Or for blackmail if they were able to find some embarrassing pictures or get lucky with taking over the webcam. Or to scrape your banking id and password.

I'd feel a lot better if the threat was only bricking the PC like the good old days.

I'm running an older system and get great performance out of 7 Days, even with some of the heavy stuff like the Starvation mod. Of course, I get stutters and the like now and again but when you're looking for a PC for 7 Days you gotta remember that this game is nowhere near optimised, so even a beast system may have some issues still.

All my stuff apart from case, cooling and PSU:

- ASUS Maximus VII Hero Mobo

- Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz

- EVGA GeForce GTX 970

- Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR3 16GB @ 1866 MHz

- Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD (main OS and games drive)

- Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB @ 7200 RPM (for recorded stuff and rendered stuff)

For normal 7 Days vanilla gameplay I get well above 60 on high settings, usually around 90-100. I turn off reflected shadows as that did cause a bit of a dip in performance especially after I built up my base a bit near the water. Horde nights I tend to do well with at 32 max alive as well, it dips to about 30-40 but still very much playable.

I will be buying a new system soon but it will be more for rendering rather than getting better performance out of 7 Days (though I still plan to play and record 7 days on my new system). Don't overlook older gear, as it can perform really well with good setup so maybe look at that if you're looking to get a good rig for less.

For your processor and RAM, you have the right idea. Ryzen 5 and 16GB in 2x8 config so you can expand later. 7 Days does fine with 16GB and even Starvation will run with that, for comparison of heavy mods if that takes your fancy.

For GPU later on - if you don't plan to game in 4K, no need to go above a 1060 IMO. The 1070 is a little better, but price to performance ratio is worse on a 1070 so if you're looking for bang for buck, 1060 all the way. The 1080/1080Ti will be overkill and expensive as hell as well.

Lots of good advice here... Not really a lot I can add...

One thing though: Don't get Win7! You should deff upgrade to win10.

Yeah yeah I know... It's not as stable, and this and that annoys you, but Win7 is on its way out, so your gonna have to upgrade eventually anyway... Might aswell get used to it now...

OP tip:

Dualboot your favorit Linux OS and Win10.

This way you have a great operating system for all your computer needs!

And the crappy, bloted and slow one for your gaming...

SSD is going to contain your OS, and your local save folder for the game. RWG maps could take up as much as 30GB of space. That's half your SSD. You can get a 120GB for $60, and a 250GB for $75. I personally would not go below the 250GB, but have been able to do builds with the 120. (Plus, the 250GB model has 3D NAND which will both make it faster, and last longer.)

Also it should be noted that the GPU needs to have more than 2GB RAM. That's a standard that is outdated by several years. If you're going to go with an older card like the 960, at least get the 4GB model.

Extended support ends in 2020, which means no more security updates. After that date I'd expect there will be a lot of programs ending support for the platform.

Yes. But 99% of the attacks out there are social hacking stuff, i.e. getting people to open and execute attachements from spam mails or executing programs from websites. Most viruses will use their access to the user account to do fun stuff, only a subset will even try to get admin/root access.

And those who will try to get admin access and succeed already have admin access, it can't get much worse.

As far as anyone knows at the moment, these vulnerabilities are only usable if you *already* have admin/root access. The only *additional* thing possible with themmight be that the hacker could be able to make the virus survive a reinstall of the BS. But IMHO to do that an attacker probably would need special versions for different hardware so only government level hackers would likely have the money, expertise and drive to do that as machines with a vulnerable Ryzen in them will always be vastly outnumbered by intel machines in the forseeable future.

Also the newest info right now is that some of the vulnerabilities are located in the asmedia usb controllers which are also on lots of intel motherboards, so it could possibly be an intel vulnerability as well. It even might be a deliberate backdoor installed by the taiwan company asmedia, but we will see.

The company who released the vulnerabilities also made everything to hype up the leak. They didn't give AMD any time to examine the vulnerabilities (as was done with Spectre and Meltdown for example), they also seem to have given the info to a company that specializes in stock market manipulation. There is a smell here.

Lots of good advice here... Not really a lot I can add...

One thing though: Don't get Win7! You should deff upgrade to win10.

Yeah yeah I know... It's not as stable, and this and that annoys you, but Win7 is on its way out, so your gonna have to upgrade eventually anyway... Might aswell get used to it now...

OP tip:

Dualboot your favorit Linux OS and Win10.

This way you have a great operating system for all your computer needs!

And the crappy, bloted and slow one for your gaming...

I play 7DTD on Linux and it works great for gaming. :p Granted, there are a lot of big titles that still don't support Linux (I'm looking at you Bethesda!). :(

You can connect a PS4 controller to a PC if you install some software that fools the PC into thinking you've got an XBox controller. I'd looked into that a few years ago for my son, but never implemented it. That said, I don't know how well that will work. There's an option under controls to "allow controller", but everything seems keyboard/mouse oriented. I'd see if anyone has actually done that (maybe search the forums here.)

If you're in a real cash crunch you can try using the onboard graphics first, but I'd expect to be disappointed.

DS4windows is the program ColdSteelRain is talking about.

Once you install the drivers, you don't even need to have it running. Steam recognizes PS4 controllers, and so does this game. I just go into Manage game -> controller options and set 'Use Steam configuration for non-steam controllers' to off. ( I have it set globally to be on.) and all the button icons will correspond to the PS4 controller. If you don't set it to off, it will still work, it just shows xbox controller button icons instead.

The controls end up being exactly same as the console version.

Also, if you don't start the game when Steam is in big picture mode, the onscreen keyboard won't pop up. That's not really a huge deal since you can still use the mouse and keyboard while you're using the controller if you don't like steam big picture.

I've found that you need to hold down the O button to get to the secondary menu items like setting advanced rotation when you're holding a block like a ramp, or the paint brush options when you're holding the paint brush.

Cuz it doesn't come with the onboard graphics. I specifically bought my 1600x because it didn't come with onboard graphics. I don't know why anyone would purposely buy APUs aside from mobile stuff and laptops.

Well, gamers are not the world. Except for gaming and CAD practically everyone would be fine with onbard graphics, especially office PCs.

And even casual level gaming or gaming with mostly indie games will have no problems with a good onboard graphics unit.

Archived