Im literally getting a pc just for this game lol! (specs advice)

Ttocs

Well, gamers are not the world. Except for gaming and CAD practically everyone would be fine with onbard graphics, especially office PCs.

And even casual level gaming or gaming with mostly indie games will have no problems with a good onboard graphics unit.

And to add to that, AMD on board graphics is a far cry better than the Intel on board graphics.

But in the same note, AMD on-board graphics are a far dry from a dedicated GPU.

True... but I have a daughter that plays 7DTD on a Intel chip with the "HD 4600" graphics (bought 4 years ago). It's not the best but it is playable. Just about everything AMD throws on their chips is better than that so it should be at least as playable.

I poked around your original build and wondered why you didn't go for the Ryzen 5 6 core... I just realized there was a price point at about $750 but that was an incomplete system.

With posted system that's at least $611.91 not including price for ram or GPU...

I'd suggest going to PCPartsPicker.com and look over the completed builds. Many are decent but some are outdated and the price points may not match because of one reason or another. Another thing with PCPartsPicker.com is that they'll post what their system sees as the price... Sometimes its wrong, but again that system chooses the lowest price so you'd be going here and there and almost everywhere but they don't and probably can't include shipping!

The best I can do with a limited time is:

Ryzen 5 1600

ASUS Prime B350-PLUS ATX

G.Skill - Aegis 16G DDR4-2133

SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB

Seagate - Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 1TB 7200 RPM

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1050 Ti AERO ITX 4G OC 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5

EVGA 450 BT 100-BT-0450-K1 450W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC

PCPartsPicker.com says 806.04 I'm sure that doesn't include shipping.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MZ24Cb

All at NewEgg.com says $855.16 and again I'm sure without shipping...

So what? Its a gaming PC, who cares about updates? I have win7 SP1, and first thing I tune after install is disable auto updates.

Exactly, same here. Only the sheep care about constant updates.

Extended support ends in 2020, which means no more security updates. After that date I'd expect there will be a lot of programs ending support for the platform.

Who cares about Windows updates. As for program support, again, that's a matter of demand. You can't just end support for an OS alienating half your customers, that's just bad business.

One thing though: Don't get Win7! You should deff upgrade to win10.

Yeah yeah I know... It's not as stable, and this and that annoys you, but Win7 is on its way out, so your gonna have to upgrade eventually anyway... Might aswell get used to it now...

You know, I hear this nonsense all the time with every new version of OS that comes out. It's annoying and always wrong. As long as there's driver support for an OS, then you're never forced into anything ever. My landlord still uses Windows XP on his music studio PC and has no issues with it at all. The only reason I can't use Windows XP anymore is because of the lack of stability in the X64 version and driver support, otherwise, I'd still be trying to figure out a way to make it work on some of my computers. But we don't have that problem anymore.

Just the fact that the statistics show that Windows 7 is still used as much as Windows 10 makes it pretty obvious on what ppl think of Windows 10 and how they'll force continued support for 7. http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-vs-windows-7-has-microsofts-newest-os-just-reached-a-turning-point/

The best I can do with a limited time is:

Ryzen 5 1600

ASUS Prime B350-PLUS ATX

G.Skill - Aegis 16G DDR4-2133

SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB

Seagate - Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 1TB 7200 RPM

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1050 Ti AERO ITX 4G OC 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5

EVGA 450 BT 100-BT-0450-K1 450W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC

Good build, aside from the PSU wattage being a little on the low side (I'm sure it would work fine... but the amount of constant stress on that PSU might kill it in just a few years), I usually recommend a minimum of 650 watts in any PSU, especially if it's only a Bronze level. Also, Ryzen is highly dependent on Ram performance, so 2133MHz ram would definitely hinder Ryzen's performance a bit. I'm not sure I would have recommended that ram. But aside from those 2 things, looks good.

Good build, aside from the PSU wattage being a little on the low side (I'm sure it would work fine... but the amount of constant stress on that PSU might kill it in just a few years), I usually recommend a minimum of 650 watts in any PSU, especially if it's only a Bronze level. Also, Ryzen is highly dependent on Ram performance, so 2133MHz ram would definitely hinder Ryzen's performance a bit. I'm not sure I would have recommended that ram. But aside from those 2 things, looks good.

Weird it said ColdGate lol

Yeah - Windows 7 is still good for many things and its definitely NOT necessary to upgrade unless you have no choice.

AHH! Didn't know that about the speed, since there seemed to be a limit at around $750 - I tried to keep it close as possible, but did go over. I kept "EVGA" since thats what he wanted for the PSU... Personally I trust Thermaltake PSU's on a personal and professional level. On a personal level for quite sometime and 'we've' never ever had any issues with them. Construction and components look very good. Also on a professional level since I work at a museum and we have systems (some of them with Thermaltake PSU's) running at least 10 hours a day, 7 days a week and 362 days a year since we're only closed 3 days of the year. One system has been running for about 2-3 years. Yes! 650W!! Especiallly for further expansion such as SLI, but with PartsPicker saying it only took 251 Watts as is - adding 150 Watts for another card (hopefully not more) keeps it 20% below its rated wattage; which should be good for sometime.

I would have preferred Samsung EVO or PRO SSD's with NAND since we have them in a server rack (8 PC's with them) that's also been running for at least 3 years without any issues.

Who cares about Windows updates. As for program support, again, that's a matter of demand. You can't just end support for an OS alienating half your customers, that's just bad business.

Why argue with me on this point? I didn't make the rule nor am I the one making the final decision. Check their website and you will see the same information I posted. If the way they handled XP is any indication there will be at most a handful of free updates after that time and any company that wants to continue to use it will have to pay for updates (like some STILL do with XP, believe it or not). It is a far better plan to upgrade or move away from Windows entirely than to stick with Windows 7 after January 2020.

Weird it said ColdGate lol

Wtf? How is that even possible? That's never happened before.

Now I'm going to have that on my mind for the next few hours... trying to figure it out.

Why argue with me on this point? I didn't make the rule nor am I the one making the final decision. Check their website and you will see the same information I posted. If the way they handled XP is any indication there will be at most a handful of free updates after that time and any company that wants to continue to use it will have to pay for updates (like some STILL do with XP, believe it or not). It is a far better plan to upgrade or move away from Windows entirely than to stick with Windows 7 after January 2020.

I think there's a miscommunication here. I agree, Microsoft will continue to do whatever they feel like doing because they don't care about their customers at all... never have. What I was referring to is things like gaming support, live streaming support, video editing support, photoshop support, etc... there will always be 100% support for the older OS so long as ppl are still using it. But as far as Windows updates go, I haven't updated mine in at least a year... couldn't care less. It runs extremely stable, has no errors or warnings in event logs at all and that's all that matters to me. As for driver support, well, that's where things could get a little sticky. The Windows 7 user base would need to still be pretty high for them to continue supporting us, which it likely will so long as Windows 10 continues to suck.

I think there's a miscommunication here. I agree, Microsoft will continue to do whatever they feel like doing because they don't care about their customers at all... never have. What I was referring to is things like gaming support, live streaming support, video editing support, photoshop support, etc... there will always be 100% support for the older OS so long as ppl are still using it. But as far as Windows updates go, I haven't updated mine in at least a year... couldn't care less. It runs extremely stable, has no errors or warnings in event logs at all and that's all that matters to me. As for driver support, well, that's where things could get a little sticky. The Windows 7 user base would need to still be pretty high for them to continue supporting us, which it likely will so long as Windows 10 continues to suck.

You realize that all of the same arguments were used for XP and 2000 years before, right?

Microsoft = treadmill

One of many reasons why I left it completely. :p

Thanks again all for replies but i have the pc now lol its running fine =D

edit: was a post about controllor issue, found answer posted by Alloc, needed to turn off the steam overlay now have my old ps4 button perfect, love it. great controllor support.

Turn to "Forced Off" "Use Steam Configuration for Non-Steam Controllers" and restart for anyone future searching wanting to replicate the ps4 buttons + icons. nice controller support

You realize that all of the same arguments were used for XP and 2000 years before, right?

XP had the x86 problem, that's the only reason anyone abandoned it. Otherwise, more ppl would still be using it today. No one cared about Windows 2000 at all. It's like Windows 8.1... that OS is already barely used at all anymore.

Well the main reason that most developers stopped support for XP was because of vulnerabilities. Newer techniques for security aren't able to function on the aging OS, or making allowances to run on it's kernel prevents them.

@ OP, good to hear you got your system set up.

Get 32 GB of ram. Currently my system + game uses over 16 GB of ram when playing this game with mods. So this would be the biggest price/performance boost if you intend to play mods or run with max settings IMO.

That's probably just because you have a lot of crap running in the background. Besides, Ram is expensive.

I have 16GB of ram in my gaming rig and I have yet to see any game use more than 8GB.

That's probably just because you have a lot of crap running in the background. Besides, Ram is expensive.

I have 16GB of ram in my gaming rig and I have yet to see any game use more than 8GB.

Ok now you made me double check :) My pc running with my normal apps takes 4.5 GB. I loaded the game up (with the WOTW mod which might be a hog), and I am now at 19.3 GB of memory used. So the game plus mods is 14.8 GB. Now, I suspect this is mainly because WOTW mod uses a lot of prefabs and such. Anyway, that's just my experience.

Yeah, my mods typically make the game get up to about 10GB. Standard fare for vanilla is between 7 and 8GB, but if you have a lot of activity requiring SI calculations it will go to 12+ very quickly.

My system, which isn't exactly stable atm (I've needed to wipe and re-install the OS for a couple of months, but keep putting it off), is currently using 8.7GB. Currently running Windows 10, Black Desert Online, 12 Chrome tabs, 5 FireFox tabs, Discord, Skype, Textpad, Internet Explorer is streaming video from my security cams, and Edge is open for some stupid reason. In the background I've got Steam, Origin, DS4, Teamviewer, Gyazo, BitDefender, MalwareBytes, PIA, DisplayFusion, Rainmeter, HW Info, OneDrive, Asus AI Suite, and probably a few other things.

If I close BDO, and open 7DTD I'll be sitting with about 1GB of free RAM. But I've got a hell of a lot of ♥♥♥♥ running on a optimized, but partially corrupted OS.

If I wanted to run Starvation with the things I normally have up, I'll probably need a minimum of 20GB RAM.

Also for those Win10 naysayers, memory management and overall system use/speed increased by 10-15% by upgrading. Once you get rid of the bloat and spyware that is. On newer hardware Win10 will run faster and better. On something older like an i3 or Core-2-Quad Intel CPU the difference isn't nearly as noticeable. If you've got an i5 or better equivalent 10 is a much smoother beast.

Games are needing increasing amounts of RAM for textures and pre-loading data though. So building a PC for gaming today should have a minimum of 32GB so you're future-proof for the next 3-7 years.

Ok now you made me double check :) My pc running with my normal apps takes 4.5 GB. I loaded the game up (with the WOTW mod which might be a hog), and I am now at 19.3 GB of memory used. So the game plus mods is 14.8 GB. Now, I suspect this is mainly because WOTW mod uses a lot of prefabs and such. Anyway, that's just my experience.

Wow, that mod must be a real pig on resources.

I guess it's a good thing I never play this game with mods.

A 1060 will still run most games out there but you may have to adjust a setting or two down. Realistically, most games at "max" settings are only slightly better than more sane settings. You mileage may vary but is it really worth an extra $300 - $800 to get a few extra frames and a little ego stroking?

Its more about future proofing, as a 1060 is barely better than the ageing 970. Where as a 1070 is quite a bit better its a more logical upgrade. 1060's are alright, but don't expect to get 60 fps steady in many games if they have decent graphics. My 1070 can't even hold 60 fps steady in 7dtd but I blame that more on how pisspoor unity is performance wise. 7dtd is not properly optimized yet at all, like if you have reflections on it literally applys to everything in the game, even surfaces that aren't reflective at all, which really eats into the gpu power pool. The shadows are poorly done as well, so many wasted gpu/cpu cycles rendering shadows on things that do not need them, like every blade of grass and such.

I only got 8gb of ram I really need to upgrade that. Might do it in april actually, pop another 8 gb in there for now.

Its more about future proofing, as a 1060 is barely better than the ageing 970. Where as a 1070 is quite a bit better its a more logical upgrade. 1060's are alright, but don't expect to get 60 fps steady in many games if they have decent graphics. My 1070 can't even hold 60 fps steady in 7dtd but I blame that more on how pisspoor unity is performance wise. 7dtd is not properly optimized yet at all, like if you have reflections on it literally applys to everything in the game, even surfaces that aren't reflective at all, which really eats into the gpu power pool. The shadows are poorly done as well, so many wasted gpu/cpu cycles rendering shadows on things that do not need them, like every blade of grass and such.

I only got 8gb of ram I really need to upgrade that. Might do it in april actually, pop another 8 gb in there for now.

I have a 1060 GB with 16GB RAM, and a 7-year-old i7-3930k.

I have zero issues keeping a steady 60 FPS with near max settings at 1080p in 7DTD, Empyrion, LiF, Ark, Black Desert Online, Subnautica, NFS Payback, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II, Prey, GTA V, Elex, Skyrim (heavily modded), any Witcher title, Rise of the Tomb Raider, or The Talos Principle. (Short list of everything I've played in the past 6 months.)

Your 1070 can't hold a steady FPS in 7 Days because you only have 8GB RAM. Reflections and Shadows have tanked FPS in 7DTD since they were introduced, though shadows haven't been as bad in a16. 6-8GB RAM in the min spec for this game, and it is very RAM intensive atm.

8GB has not been a desirable amount of RAM for gaming for over 5 years.

I have a 1060 GB with 16GB RAM, and a 7-year-old i7-3930k.

I have zero issues keeping a steady 60 FPS with near max settings at 1080p in 7DTD, Empyrion, LiF, Ark, Black Desert Online, Subnautica, NFS Payback, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II, Prey, GTA V, Elex, Skyrim (heavily modded), any Witcher title, Rise of the Tomb Raider, or The Talos Principle. (Short list of everything I've played in the past 6 months.)

Your 1070 can't hold a steady FPS in 7 Days because you only have 8GB RAM. Reflections and Shadows have tanked FPS in 7DTD since they were introduced, though shadows haven't been as bad in a16. 6-8GB RAM in the min spec for this game, and it is very RAM intensive atm.

8GB has not been a desirable amount of RAM for gaming for over 5 years.

Just to stir up the pot...

I use a local dedicated server with a 2.8 GHz I-7, 24GB of RAM, and a Samsung EVO SSD.

On my gaming rig, I have 36GB of RAM, a 3.6 Ghz I-7, 3 Samsung EVO SSD drives, and a 1070 Founders Edition and I still hit painful frame rates on occasion in 7 days to die. This is on a clean dedicated gaming system (no background, no anti-virus, etc). Technically, I should be able to crank everything up to Ultra but I always back down settings on Horde night.

We can all point fingers in every direction at what is "the issue". However, the fact that I'm running 4K resolution affects my system. The fact that someone else may have poor bandwidth to the server they're playing on, someone else has a virus or other background software, someone else has inappropriate settings for their video card, the game does need optimization, etc...all come into effect.

I can play Ark which is graphically "stunning" on Ultra crammed with graphics up the kazoo without a hiccup at 60FPS...but when I fly near my base, it comes lagging into view, block by block. Is that because of my RAM, processor, drive, my resolution or Unreal Engine, or ? I've tweaked to the nth degree, dropping my resolution, the extra effects, and no matter what settings I change, it simply happens. I've come to the conclusion that the way the game was coded in Unreal, It's a curse of the coding. I assume it can be fixed...but can it?

However, I have built enormous bases in 7 days to die and never had an issue...but if I use Valmod, I can drop frame rates simply by looking in the forge.

Not trying to start a fight, but just think the conversation can't be concluded by simply throwing a better video card or more memory at the issue.

That was partially my point. Just because he has a 1070 and cannot get a stable 60FPS is not a valid reason for getting a 1070 or better.

For 1080p gaming, you really don't need anything better than a 970 or 980. A 1060 is almost the same price as those however.

There's no such thing as future proofing. What is top of the line today is just garbage tomorrow. Stop worrying about trying to stay ahead of it all when in the end, it's only going to cost you a fortune. According to my math, a GTX 1070 is only 25% better performing than the GTX 1060 at twice the price. So, for example, let's say you were playing a game and was getting an average of 45fps with the GTX 1060, with a GTX 1070, you would get about 56fps in that game. That's 11fps difference in that scenario. How is that good value?

Also, you clearly have never owned a GTX 1060 and have little knowledge in it's performance cuz the 1060 isn't nearly as weak as you're making it seem. I have one and so far I've been able to run ALL games on max (or near max) graphics settings (at 1080p) with more than acceptable fps, including 7d2d, but 7d2d's fps is more tied to the CPU and ram than GPU.

Archived