Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I also don't know why asking about what is coming is pointless discussion?

I mean the talk about balancing of the current system is pointless because they are going to change it drastically. For example, it was said that food will be new way of replenishing stamina and there will be no skills that affect stamina. By the time the game is released, details regarding these changes may be different to certain extent, so this may not apply then, but the system is definitely changing in Alpha 17.

I mean the talk about balancing of the current system is pointless because they are going to change it drastically. For example, it was said that food will be new way of replenishing stamina and there will be no skills that affect stamina. By the time the game is released, details regarding these changes may be different to certain extent, so this may not apply then, but the system is definitely changing in Alpha 17.

That is what has me curious. I'd love a sneak peak under the hood. :)

We are having hours long discussions in our game as to what the changes will be and how it will play out.

All the stuff from skills/perks to what the recipe will be for guns.

It's probably going to feel like a whole new game, which is of course cool AF.

We are having hours long discussions in our game as to what the changes will be and how it will play out.

Personally I'm not a fan of changes that change something that worked for me just fine, but they will change it anyway so it's not like we can do anything about it. We will see what they throw at us this time, maybe we will like it.

Maybe this is an A18+ if not a Part 2 most likely. But what if there is something more outside of our little "safe" box of sand?

For example, in fallout 4, the player had a little box of sand to play with. But some game designers made is so Fallout 4 became a war game!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24446[/ATTACH]

Looking at the world of FO4 from this scope, gives players, modders and the devs something more to think about! :)

Sorry I downloaded the wrong file initially. My German panzer division drove to the pacific in that game :)

What game is that anyway?

I don't know yet.

I'd really like to be able to open the map while on a vechicle without having to get off it to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Cockroaches in the jeeps Confirmed for A17!

If the bugs are just in the jeep we'd be lucky, those little buggers get into everything. Get the extra large fly swatter and can of bug spray ready cuz they going to have a bug killing party.

Without spoiling the reveal I'd like to know if the skills/perks system is getting a whole new do over or is it just being tweaked?

Also XP balancing? Currently there is a rather large mismatch on XP gain for doing different activities. ie Smashing surface boulders gives far more XP for time spent than pretty much anything else. So much so that two players starting at the same time and doing different things are soon so far apart in level its crazy.

Yeah.. I always felt those boulders gave way to much exp, you especally notice it when you go at them with steel tools or the auger. The exp bar even at lv 40 or 60 jumps each hit with steel tools. On the other hand, exp gain from crafting has for the most part been removed in a16, so I am guessing the boulders exp is to make up for it somewhat? Its sort of balanced in a sense when you think of it, your going to need, booze or coffee to keep at those rocks with steel tools, or your going to have to craft gas, or get it off cars to fuel a auger. Then again, assuming you get the same exp overall with iron tools, you can eventually, fairly early actually get to a point you can pretty much swing a iron pickaxe for days and never run out of stamina.

Man I hope this is not true, the stamina system already annoys the hell out of me in the game since I started in a10, I hope they don't make it even more of a pain in the arse in a17.

I am guessing guns will need: forged steel, plastic, mechanical parts, leather, and maybe some wood maybe also glue. Making them out of forged iron would be way to easy imo. Gun crafting imo should be a endgame thing, not something you can do day 1. Not that I care much about guns, I never use them, as the xbow seems more than sufficent for most situations. Only time I pull out a gun is usually: to kill wolves/bears/dogs/vultures, or the exploding cop zombies. Too noisy otherwise to use them. I do hope the shotgun gets a silencer mod. I'd love to clear poi's with shotgun's but in the current game, it just can't be done as it'll wake up the entire poi and the zombies will rip it to shreads. The zombies screeching also gets on my nerves, I really wish they wouldn't do that unless they actually see you.

- - - Updated - - -

That was actually shown in one of the videos. You will be able to open your map while driving/riding.

I must have missed that, glad to hear it, was always something that bothered me.

Given we have seen the various gun quality colours already I don't believe we will have to wait for "endgame" before we get to craft guns.

Even if you can only craft low quality guns, I'm guessing it will happen fairly early on and as with most other equipment increase in quality the further you progress in the game.

I can't see the reasoning behind waiting until level 80+ to be able to craft a brown pistol.

I get the feeling that guns are about to become a lot more popular with the new system.

Another thing I have been thinking about is quality tiers and repairs. Currently I make a green item at quality 300 and after first repair it goes yellow with a number in the 200. With the new system that removes the numbers, will this still occur? Will my green axe suddenly turn yellow after I repair it or does it just stay green for as long as I own it?

Which kind of leads into the next question.... Combining items in the workbench to increase quality? How does that work in A17?

So many juicy questions running through my head. I know my answers are most likely post release and that's cool but I thought I'd voice a couple of thoughts in the meantime.

Given we have seen the various gun quality colours already I don't believe we will have to wait for "endgame" before we get to craft guns.

Even if you can only craft low quality guns, I'm guessing it will happen fairly early on and as with most other equipment increase in quality the further you progress in the game.

I can't see the reasoning behind waiting until level 80+ to be able to craft a brown pistol.

I get the feeling that guns are about to become a lot more popular with the new system.

Another thing I have been thinking about is quality tiers and repairs. Currently I make a green item at quality 300 and after first repair it goes yellow with a number in the 200. With the new system that removes the numbers, will this still occur? Will my green axe suddenly turn yellow after I repair it or does it just stay green for as long as I own it?

Which kind of leads into the next question.... Combining items in the workbench to increase quality? How does that work in A17?

So many juicy questions running through my head. I know my answers are most likely post release and that's cool but I thought I'd voice a couple of thoughts in the meantime.

Are you inside my head? You continue to ask the questions I am hoping for answers to also! :)

Probably no more combines... Not like that, anyway... Probably manually swap out pieces.

I thought that too but didn't one of the videos say they had done away with parts now? Unless you just don't find parts as loot anymore but have to make them at the various machines?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you inside my head? You continue to ask the questions I am hoping for answers to also! :)

I am inside your head mate and I gotta say... you need to clean some of this mess up dude! Your mind is almost as bad as mine mate!

Probably no more combines... Not like that, anyway... Probably manually swap out pieces.

I hope combining goes away. Have seen it abused too many times.

- - - Updated - - -

I am inside your head mate and I gotta say... you need to clean some of this mess up dude! Your mind is almost as bad as mine mate!

LOL!! Too true.....too true.

Beer is yet another factor, but are you sure that people are supposed to use beer to get more XP and as many resources as possible and get them as soon as possible? That doesn't sound like a normal way of playing, unless you are willing to get some serious game advancement early (granted you have found enough jars of beer to get there).

Still, if you wanted to ask devs to make this process harder, you would have to ask them to drastically reduce availability of beer or even remove it entirely from the game, but would that kind of change be good? And what about other activities for which you would need the beer? What about those who don't want to abuse the beer early and want to use it really just for occasional stamina boost? They would lose that opportunity due to low availability of beer or getting no beer at all, so maybe the game would be more balanced for you personally, but less for other people.

Balancing isn't easy, not only you have to think of many different factors, but also many different play styles. Not all people rush to max out each and every skill and gain more XP early. What's good for you, may be bad for someone else.

But I think that this talk is actually pointless, because they want to make some major changes to the current system, so it may be totally different than what we have now. Some of that was discussed in the videos.

You're raising concerns about the words of a straw man. Gobarg didn’t ask to reduce the availability of beer. He didn’t even ask for smashing rocks to be made harder. He in effect asked if we should expect big or small changes in this area. We’re here to discuss Alpha 17, and balancing passes don't always keep pace with new features. So I don't think it's more pointless than anything else we talk about.

Well it's all about weapon mods, so my guess is there is a base piece, then you swap out the mods to make the gun. No clue if they have q levels.

Next time I'm peeking in Roland's window I'll try to pay better attention... I just wish he'd put some damn clothes on... Seeing him nekkid is a never-ending game of where's waldo, of you know what I mean...

Well it's all about weapon mods, so my guess is there is a base piece, then you swap out the mods to make the gun. No clue if they have q levels.

Next time I'm peeking in Roland's window I'll try to pay better attention... I just wish he'd put some damn clothes on... Seeing him nekkid is a never-ending game of where's waldo, of you know what I mean...

Ewww dude! I can't unsee that stuff!

My imaginings of the new system go something like this...

Find recipe/unlock skill/perk (I'm guessing that Gunsmithing skill is now a lot more important)

Gather required resources

Craft

Quality of weapon decides amount/quality of any mods added

Mods are found in loot only

Guns are arranged in a hierarchy with top tier guns requiring more skill/perks/resources to make?

Coloured bar decreases and is either replenished in full upon repair or loses some of it's max durability in the process?

Mods can't be removed?

Lot's of guesses there... ok ok the whole thing is just my imagination....

It's just a bit of fun trying to guess what they are going to do ;)

The jeep passenger can open fire or manage inventory or is limited to be "cargo"?

That is interesting question..

- - - Updated - - -

I'd really like to be able to open the map while on a vechicle without having to get off it to do it.

One of video shows that map can now be open while on ride. i.e. for A17 :).

vehicles should be first person. since the game is fps, not 3rd

I like the arcade style of driving (3rd person) in these kind of games.

But I find it likely that you will eventually be able to switch between the viewing modes...

I like the arcade style of driving (3rd person) in these kind of games.

But I find it likely that you will eventually be able to switch between the viewing modes...

I really hope they give the option to switch between third and first person for riding/driving.

vehicles should be first person. since the game is fps, not 3rd

With this uneven land and player digging hole all around.. there is a chance you get stuck somewhere and end up going reverse etc to get out. with 3rd person view it is easier to drive. And Yes all FPS provide 3rd person view. it is matter of perspective.

I take your point that it's a first person game, kamer1337. But driving in first person is cumbersome due to the limited field of view compared to real life, where you can be much more aware of your surroundings. I'd venture that this is why most games put you in third person view, at least as an option, even if the rest of the game is in first person.

Archived