Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Do you know the kind of progress happening, ie tangibles or coding, or a mix of both?

mix plus fixing things whenever something new added breaks something else or causes a memory leak or spams the console with null reference errors.

mix plus fixing things whenever something new added breaks something else or causes a memory leak or spams the console with null reference errors.

NRE's are my favorite, you only need to eat 1 a day, oh wait, that's MRE's...

- - - Updated - - -

yes

Caution. This attracts Guppy to your windows.

It takes much less than that to attract Guppy. Actually you just need to say his name 3 x's like Beetlejuice.

Guys if the red bar signifies anything it signifies "It's done when it's done" There is no way to use the bar to predict when A17 is coming out. Trying to do so is an exercise in futility.

So why have it? Because I think everyone should get out there and exercise their futility muscles more.

Well of course it is done when it is done but having a idea of when the devs expect it might be done is nice too. I thought it was an actual countdown when it was implemented. Meaning devs had everything they wanted done done but were just doing some internal testing and bug fixing before releasing the experimental to the general public. That expectation was quickly proven my own fantasy and therefore broken, obviously.

Now it is just fun to try to guess when the release date is. My guess is for Mid-July to Mid-August at the current rate. Big window but I don't watch the bar enough to get a good estimate nor do I know if the bar actually changes on a regular schedule to even attempt to predict anything. Fun to stretch those futility muscles! :p

Passengers will probably not be in A17. It is still buggy and Pathing/AI and other bug fixing is higher priority.

i'm truly, truly dissapointed since trips with friends would've been actually amazing. Though maybe it'll make it to 17.1 or modders'l get that in before the pimps do

Are we there yet? :)

Hell no ;)

- - - Updated - - -

i'm truly, truly dissapointed since trips with friends would've been actually amazing. Though maybe it'll make it to 17.1 or modders'l get that in before the pimps do

It is a matter of time to be done. Who says 4 guys with 4 vehicles can't have fun ?

Guys if the red bar signifies anything it signifies "It's done when it's done" There is no way to use the bar to predict when A17 is coming out. Trying to do so is an exercise in futility.

So why have it? Because I think everyone should get out there and exercise their futility muscles more.

So tell me, what will you do when you run out of the health bar, but Alpha 17 is still not released?

What's the best exercise to build your futility muscles? I tried to verify the first few pages of Googling "moral corporate lawyers" and that helped. But I need something more.

OK, do what I do and try to think of differences between clowns at the circus and political debates.

The only difference I've found were clowns hold my attention 1.75 seconds longer.

So tell me, what will you do when you run out of the health bar, but Alpha 17 is still not released?

Three possibilities:

The estimated time is roughly correct: Nothing needs to be changed.

Things go faster: The HP bar takes a critical hit or two.

Things go slower: The XP bar fills slower and slower...

I took Roland's hint to be before September/October; he just used someone else's prediction and said there may or may not be a planned critical hit that would put it sooner than that. I'm willing to bet that whatever feature that needs a breakthrough, will have said breakthrough and we shall have our critical hit. A17-E release: July 23 at 9:17 CST. It will be a sunny day with a slight breeze and be a comfortable 75 degrees...somewhere.

hahahahaha!

It is moving quite well and they said it would not be out this summer unless there was a break through and yet people still want the bar to move 2 inches every time it moves.

I don’t recall anyone saying that...

Well of course it is done when it is done but having a idea of when the devs expect it might be done is nice too. I thought it was an actual countdown when it was implemented. Meaning devs had everything they wanted done done but were just doing some internal testing and bug fixing before releasing the experimental to the general public. That expectation was quickly proven my own fantasy and therefore broken, obviously.

Now it is just fun to try to guess when the release date is. My guess is for Mid-July to Mid-August at the current rate. Big window but I don't watch the bar enough to get a good estimate nor do I know if the bar actually changes on a regular schedule to even attempt to predict anything. Fun to stretch those futility muscles! :p

It’s not like that. It’s like Roland is watching a group of people play bingo. He knows what the beginning and end states look like. He knows that progress will be made over time until the end, as long as the bingo caller and the players keep going. He can quantify how close to the end the players are at a given time by watching their cards. But, even though he can provide a snapshot of progress that’s based on real data (we are 3/5ths of the way to a bingo), that data can’t be used to extrapolate when more progress will be made.

Oh man, I love this game and I can't wait for A17.

Since I play on dedicated servers that I host and play with friends a lot, one fix I am hoping takes place is the delay of zombie hits. Making it seem like they have godly reach. Either way, I won't stop playing dedicated because of this, but man what a huge relief it would be :)

Keep up the amazing work you guys are doing!!

Guest Rassilon

Since I play on dedicated servers that I host and play with friends a lot, one fix I am hoping takes place is the delay of zombie hits. Making it seem like they have godly reach. Either way, I won't stop playing dedicated because of this, but man what a huge relief it would be :)

+1. Observing huge Ranges due to lags/delays too, sometimes up to 10 Meters distance or in complete dysinc with their animations too.

36% REMAINING UNTIL A17 DROPS!!!

That's a 3% completion in about 10 days. If August is their deadline, they are right on target!

Or 120 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At T-Minus how many days is the Hype Train warmed up? I forgotten everything! :)

giphy.gif

The devs probably already know this but the way I handle this is to have each ai measure its origin offset from the last frame (use that to figure the actual velocity by dividing the offset by frametime), send that offset to the client if it has a different value than the previous value, along with the current actual origin. Then on the client set that actual velocity as the velocity, and find the offset from the client's current ai origin to the actual origin that was sent. Use that offset to add a secondary velocity to the movement each frame to catch up to where the ai should be, at any designated speed. This should keep your ai very close to where they actually are on the server.

Edit: Also if the actual velocity on the server becomes '0 0 0', you then tell the client the ai is stopping, and where it is stopping, then lerp to that point on the client.

Do you know the kind of progress happening, ie tangibles or coding, or a mix of both?

A lot of stuff, code and content wise is being worked on. Large code bases always have plenty of bugs or less than optimal features, which will get worked on right up to any kind of patch or release day.

Guys my futility muscles are killing me!! If only i was capable of ignoring this forum for a year... but no, by then we'll have just started A18 and starting a game in A17 would also feel like a waste of time. ... should I play A16 now? would i get burnt out by the time a17 came?

Archived