Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hey faatal

I got another question. Your telling me that the zombies will attack weakest block. On many POI's the weakest point are the windows. Really the ones that are not boarded up, like the shop windows.

So if zombies follow the path of least resistance then are they more likely to come through the windows than doors?

Door heath is divided by 4, so if a window has 100 and a door 500 (125), then they will choose the window, but it looks at 2 blocks of height and most windows are up in the air, so the block below the window would be considered and the combination may be weaker than surrounding walls or doors.

Door heath is divided by 4, so if a window has 100 and a door 500 (125), then they will choose the window, but it looks at 2 blocks of height and most windows are up in the air, so the block below the window would be considered and the combination may be weaker than surrounding walls or doors.

What was the logic in prioritizing doors? Because they're multi-dim and it's a 2 for 1?

Because windows, and subsequently the block below it, would be the more logical choice I would think.

Just curious, sometimes I'd love to be a fly on the wall during y'alls crazy discussions. :)

I see. Thanks. :)

What was the logic in prioritizing doors? Because they're multi-dim and it's a 2 for 1?

Because windows, and subsequently the block below it, would be the more logical choice I would think.

Just curious, sometimes I'd love to be a fly on the wall during y'alls crazy discussions. :)

Just because? I don't know. A legacy decision I ported from the old code, which makes some sense to me, since zombie have a bit o consciousness left and people use doors in life.

I see, thanks. Tell me, are you going to keep it two passage or one?

Sometimes I see crawlers came though one block high openings.

That needs thought and work if we allow one high holes. There is some inflexibility in the path system that improves performance, so the pro/cons would need to be weighed.

@fataal Is there anyway to make them target different blocks, currently you can walk to one side of your base and they will all come to that side, I would rather they attacked all sides of the base trying to get in.

that would cause another tunneling problem like back in A6 or7 where they tore through mostly terrain instead of walking around it, Wouldn't it?

From @Faatal's message it seems like most of AI Work is done, new town is ready, new vehicle is ready. So what are we waiting for? Why A17 is not released yet ... so hyped man. I see it is going to be ready in next 1-2 months quite easily now.

Much AI/pathing work is done, but I have a fair bit more to do and bug fixing after that.

Just because? I don't know. A legacy decision I ported from the old code, which makes some sense to me, since zombie have a bit o consciousness left and people use doors in life.

...I'm okay with that. I would implore you to consider windows, switching zombies to the crawler walk type for 3 seconds allowing it to come in, then back to it's regular walk type after entry.

Make good use of mecanim and all. =)

Wouldn't it make more sense to divide the door by 2, as it takes 2 blocks?

Also i'm not so sure it makes too much sense to have them "use" the the door because old habits. I'd rather they just target the weakest point. It's more efficient and can't be exploited...

It would be freaking awesome if zombies could grab players and hold them. Having one bust through a window and grab you from the other side would add so much to the horror aspect of the game. :)

That would be scary, as mobility is my main defense late game, when out in the open. It should be a rare trait as once half of each screamer horde are runners you have to stay mobile. That or waste a bunch of ammo.

That's why I've started a "Pave the Planet" program around the base area. :)

Faatal what are your thoughts on zombies being able to jump over 2 block wide and 2 block plus deep gaps?

I'd like zombies with different jump strengths. They use a 3 part jump anim now, so any distance would look ok. Pathing would not know about it and the grid is pretty limited in where it thinks you can go, but it could happen. Would be game play ramifications to be considered.

...I'm okay with that. I would implore you to consider windows, switching zombies to the crawler walk type for 3 seconds allowing it to come in, then back to it's regular walk type after entry.

Make good use of mecanim and all. =)

I've thought about crawling through holes. It make sense for smaller/normal sized zombies. Not likely for A17.

If the character says what he wants, is it good or bad?

Probably. I hope so. I need them for invisible HUD play.

I think that thirst and hunger should be more tangible than just bars.

In the game The Long Dark, the character says what he wants.

In 7 Days To Die you could do this:

When he is a little hungry (50%): "I would have eaten something"

When the average is hungry (25%): "I could now eat an elephant"

When very hungry (5%): "If I do not eat now, then I will die"

When a little thirst (50%): "The throat is parched"

When the average thirst (25%): "I have a desert in my mouth"

When strong thirst (5%): "I will die if I do not drink water in the near future"

The same could be done when the character freezes or overheats.

Roland, what do you think about this?

Wouldn't it make more sense to divide the door by 2, as it takes 2 blocks?

Also i'm not so sure it makes too much sense to have them "use" the the door because old habits. I'd rather they just target the weakest point. It's more efficient and can't be exploited...

Doors are 2 blocks that share health. Technically they are stupid and would not know much about weak points. It really all comes down to game play and what is fun.

I think that thirst and hunger should be more tangible than just bars.

In the game The Long Dark, the character says what he wants.

In 7 Days To Die you could do this:

When he is a little hungry (50%): "I would have eaten something"

When the average is hungry (25%): "I could now eat an elephant"

When very hungry (5%): "If I do not eat now, then I will die"

When a little thirst (50%): "The throat is parched"

When the average thirst (25%): "I have a desert in my mouth"

When strong thirst (5%): "I will die if I do not drink water in the near future"

The same could be done when the character freezes or overheats.

Roland, what do you think about this?

i dont like it to get the informations of your status only from time to time.

I miss 99% of such popups

Specially sounds, because i play mostly without sound

But as option/additional feedback it would be ok (maybe with the option to disable the bars)

It would be cool if the zombies that run, sometimes accidentally stumble and fall. The cause may be garbage or stones. It can be fun)

- - - Updated - - -

i dont like it to get the informations of your status only from time to time.

I miss 99% of such popups

Specially sounds, because i play mostly without sound

NOT popups. I would like it to work simultaneously with bars of health and stamina.

Doors are 2 blocks that share health. Technically they are stupid and would not know much about weak points. It really all comes down to game play and what is fun.

Right, if you had a steel door with a little window that the zombies could see you from, and walls surrounding that door that were made of cardboard. The zombies should target the door because they can see you through it. I understand its hard to make AI behave the way "we think they would irl" though, thanks for your hard work and the updates!

Archived