Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

What shall we do to celebrate the 10-month anniversary since A16 came out in a few days? Shall we have a nice discussion? What about any of the following topics?

* Child-zombies

* Food spoilage

* Guppy's toilet behavior

* Geology

That is part of the problem for those of us that have been here a while and posted a lot. I think I've already been a part of just about every discussion topic seen on these boards... or at least all the ones I'd care to be a part of. And I've done this repeatedly. After a while it gets very difficult to keep reading the same arguments paired with the same counter arguments, no matter which side you take on any given issue.

Some day when the game is stabilized I will get more into mod building, especially when the mod tools are exposed from within the game. When a POI editor becomes available I will make POIs. When a quest system is stable enough to use I will be making quests. Et cetera. Until then I don't see any point in repeating my desires for game changes or updates more than a few dozen times each. :p

The final game will not likely be everything I want it to be... but it will allow me to change it into the game I want it to be. That's enough for me.

I NEED to say something NOW...

Hi all,

I am new to forums but have read this Dev diary since the beginning.

(Full list of at least 100 things which must be fixed now! Or I will just hang around here constantly saying I quit all the time even though it cost me £7 and I have played over 680 hours, so far)

Notes about how not having a flying dinosaur to ride out of my base on is immersion breaking and how can TFP even call this a game with that one thing missing. I have done a full scientific study and EVERY one of my 3 friends agree and I can back this up by a quote I found on a forum about another game as proof that every other player of 7dtd agrees as well.

I am also aware of the full business plan of every company including TFP, so I can say that their plan is massively floored to delay me for even one minute in getting every single feature I want right now before I rage quit. Also, I will moan about how I think I once saw this feature on Minecraft over my niece’s shoulder and I can tell that that one single feature and no other caused them to be simultaneously catapulted to massive sales and instantly be *needed* by every 7 year old in the world and also tanked their whole business so badly that nobody who ever even worked near them could ever work in again.

But all joking aside I love the game, the forums, the rants, the disagreements and the memes.

Best game I’ve played in a long time and even if nothing at all changes I would be happy with what we have, but it looks like some stuff is, so renewed interest from whenever a17/b1 gets here.

TL;DR: Thumbs up, In TFP we trust #b1

Welcome to the 'forums' ConfusedSquirrel. Any relation to Rocky?

I too have read all dev forum posts. Since A15. (Late start I know). And all bugs posts since A15. And, now, almost all mod posts. (Getting itchy...). And I only have 3000+ hours in the Aplha TEST. (And, War of the Walkers, Undead Legacy, Ravenheasrt (both - doing 3-0 currently (no dots!). And, yet, very little posts.

Total agreement with your post. (And thank you for saying for me!)

And, like Royal I took a little break to try 27 other things, and nothing else cuts it anymore. (Ok, I'm doing Baldur's Gate Enhanced AND Ravenhearst currently just waiting for A17 to drop....)

Problem is simple (Counts for all games)

Many people asking to make a game easyer

* play not on lowest difficulty

* stop playing a few days later if you do so because they have reached everything they want.

* Start to demand "Endgamecontent" because they have nothing to do

Many people who ask to make the game harder

* Are so experienced that there is no way to adapt the Difficulty to them

* play not on highest Difficuty with "Death is Death"

* Use mods or Cheats but dont confess that (Means 5-20% of the players that ask for harder difficulty and nearly no one of the really experienced. Say that clear at this point here because some new player dont undertand how easy some things are)

* Forget that bloody beginners must be able to play the game too.

Finally you are completly right, if you ask the mass you get a complete different meaning. Because the mass has no clue how the gamemechanics work. So instead of asking for better informations that Beer, Grain alcohol and Painpills can deny Stunlocks they ask to remove stunlocks. What would make the game far far easyer, And as long as we have no Bandits in my opinion too easy.

How do you come to the conclusion that much experience in the game is a bad thing when it comes to Balance decisions ?

Play a few hundret hours a character with Death is Death and then understand that the Balance is really really good. You can survive with a char for hundrets to thousands of hours if you know how to play this game. And after you did this i think you have a far better understanding how and where the difficulty can be adjusted to more or less Difficulty.

At least we all want the same, making 7D2D the best game existing.

Been meaning to say something - nice to have you back Royal! I missed ya. (Just ask Roland. I was whining to him privately that you left. I need your Royal Blue background...)

And, curious about how many hours you have in? Was kind of surprised to learn how many Guppy had. # of posts, and hours of game time do not seem to be proportional...

The metahporic wall my friend and I hit in A15 and A16 in regards to content was: after establishing yourself with guns, ammo crafting and building a formidable base, planting trees and growing food, etc... Horde Night became only a minor concern because of wooden spikes. Crafting wooden spikes meant Zed's couldn't even reach the concrete walls of the base.

At that point, there was nothing left to do. I know you guys are including quests. But I think that will do what quests in a AAA games like Sea of Theives does, adds only a minor if monotonous purpose to an otherwise still veey much shallow rpg experience.

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. I can think about it some more. I'm just wondering if TFP have a solution.

The metahporic wall my friend and I hit in A15 and A16 in regards to content was: after establishing yourself with guns, ammo crafting and building a formidable base, planting trees and growing food, etc... Horde Night became only a minor concern because of wooden spikes. Crafting wooden spikes meant Zed's couldn't even reach the concrete walls of the base.

At that point, there was nothing left to do. I know you guys are including quests. But I think that will do what quests in a AAA games like Sea of Theives does, adds only a minor if monotonous purpose to an otherwise still veey much shallow rpg experience.

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. I can think about it some more. I'm just wondering if TFP have a solution.

If only you read first post, first. Welcome in forums and read a lot. :)

Quest System

+Cool new group quests

+Dynamically spawns a boss to guard quest objective

+Dialogue system that is fully moddable 3/5/18

+Trader initiated quests 3/5/18

I think adding "boos lairs" similar to what other have suggested could add more play value. But this would need to be done well. I think if you included many (as much as 10) different "lairs" with varying difficulties - lairs that you could wonder in mistakenly day 1 and die immediately, (similar to Diablo 2 lvl 1 dropping in on the final boss of Act 5), it would be awesome. What do other people think?

As I understand it, we will be able to unite weapons without modifications and other items on the workbench to get the best quality, since this is happening now at 16 Alpha.

Joel, Gazz, Roland and all peoples who read this, what do you think about adding a chance to break an item on workbench, a chance to improve an item on workbench, and some other chances that will depend on the level of the character's special skills?

Thanks.

No thanks.

The final game will not likely be everything I want it to be... but it will allow me to change it into the game I want it to be. That's enough for me.

Mmh, I would guess that for most players even the mod system will not be enough to handle everything they want. But to get closer to that goal? Sure.

I wanted to bring zombie-throwing zombies as a negative example, but that could possibly be feasible in A17. If explosions are a buff in A17 a special zombie could create explosions with no damage around him and provide surrounding zombies with a buff that prevents fall damage for a few seconds. The throwing would be in all directions, but some zombies would "jump" in the right direction.

Mmh, I would guess that for most players even the mod system will not be enough to handle everything they want. But to get closer to that goal? Sure.

I wanted to bring zombie-throwing zombies as a negative example, but that could possibly be feasible in A17. If explosions are a buff in A17 a special zombie could create explosions with no damage around him and provide surrounding zombies with a buff that prevents fall damage for a few seconds. The throwing would be in all directions, but some zombies would "jump" in the right direction.

Yeah, well, I probably don't have as high of expectations as some, for sure. I'm not expecting miracles but I am expecting a sequel. :p

Welcome to the 'forums' ConfusedSquirrel. Any relation to Rocky?

I too have read all dev forum posts. Since A15. (Late start I know). And all bugs posts since A15. And, now, almost all mod posts. (Getting itchy...). And I only have 3000+ hours in the Aplha TEST. (And, War of the Walkers, Undead Legacy, Ravenheasrt (both - doing 3-0 currently (no dots!). And, yet, very little posts.

Total agreement with your post. (And thank you for saying for me!)

And, like Royal I took a little break to try 27 other things, and nothing else cuts it anymore. (Ok, I'm doing Baldur's Gate Enhanced AND Ravenhearst currently just waiting for A17 to drop....)

Sorry no relation to Rocky. Am happy to keep playing until A17 drops. I do want to try Ravenhearst but not sure how easy it will be/weather it will be possible to do on Steam. I mostly play with 2 others PVE and don't really want to rent a server.

And, curious about how many hours you have in? Was kind of surprised to learn how many Guppy had. # of posts, and hours of game time do not seem to be proportional...

...but they were quality hours. =)

Kidding aside, even half of THOSE hours are likely from modding and testing said modding. I can very easily meta beat the vanilla game and am incapable of stopping myself from doing so... But I'm patiently waiting for gold, and play the game vicariously through you guys, from your posted experiences.

maybe this new AI thing they are working on will fix alot of the bugs..but i swear if i seea Spinning zombie in the Next Alpha...i give up....

That is mostly fixed now.

Zombie pathing, moving, climbing, jumping and breaking have gone through a lot of changes so far for A17, with more to come.

At that point, there was nothing left to do...

You might be missing the point of an open world sandbox game.

Set the difficulty to Insane, enable Always Run. Explore the world, building as you go. Build many different types of bases, and test how well they respond to the zombie hordes. I wonder if you played long enough to max your GS yet - the hordes at the upper end can do major damage to most bases.

In the future, bandits can potentially bring some real threat endgame and set up more interesting situations where you have to survive intense combat.

Ultimately though, looking for "content" to extend your playtime is a futile gesture because every game will run out of "content" eventually. The reason for playing then tends to be either social or personal. I understand that won't appeal to every type of player, but 7DTD was never intended to be for a mass audience.

I mean you could keep it AND add the attachement system. This would make much more sense the crafting Weapons from a forge. Its just not realistic to do that. But finding and assembling parts is...

I am guessing that TFP's want to move away from just finding (gun parts) and just finding guns.

But on the other hand, TFP's could still allow players to take said guns and break them down to gun parts as needed.

that would be even better than the system we have now. :)

That is mostly fixed now.

Zombie pathing, moving, climbing, jumping and breaking have gone through a lot of changes so far for A17, with more to come.

That is great news to hear.

Zombie pathing, Bandits, NPCs, AI capable of fulfilling your wildest dreams, and Skynet all confirmed for A17!!!!

I understand that won't appeal to every type of player, but 7DTD was never intended to be for a mass audience.

Whenever the small gathering of worldwide 7D2D players meets in a small pub on the first Saturday of each month they look at the empty seats around them and toast to their rather exlusive hobby. It's almost like a secret society with their numbers countable on one hand... IF that hand had one million fingers that is. :smile-new:

Zombie survival isn't really niche.

Totally just watched that episode with a friend last night. He said there was no point to watching it after the first season and I finally convinced him otherwise. Love that show.

*gasp* blasphemous! GOT is like 7DTD, so worth playing more than once =)

Archived