Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

1. Does a dev or anyone know does increasing your game difficulty (nomad insane etc) increase the rate of your gamestage or just the damage zombies do to blocks, you and the amount of damage they can take?

2. Cause I was wondering, if increasing the difficulty didn't increase gamestage rate would increasing this number do that or would it be the same thing as above, or are these two things completely different?

scavengerGameDifficultyBonus="1.0"

adventurerGameDifficultyBonus="1.2"

nomadGameDifficultyBonus="1.5"

warriorGameDifficultyBonus="1.7"

survivalistGameDifficultyBonus="2.0"

insaneGameDifficultyBonus="2.5"

Say changing nomad from 1.5 to like 3 would that mean the zombies would be tougher, as in the hit points they take and absorb be the same as insane in the regular main menu, or does increasing that number only increase the rate of your gamestage?

I don't think it changes GS, but I'm guessing.

Yeah faatal is that possible... I would hope there would be a mode that has a rng (random) walk, jog, run, sprint and nightmare all in one setting, for day and/or night. So you just don't know what you're coming up against. i'd love that!

Yes it could be done.

I disable air drops because they feel too cheap and make the game too easy. There is so much loot anyway if you get out of your bunker and open your eyes. The loot rooms of POIs are insane.

My preferred style of play is: No air drops, no loot respawn, but it admittedly only works well when it's a solo game or just the wife and I playing.

It wasn't needed for solo play so much IMO, but with team EXP bonuses people were unlocking INT10 features on day 5, which gives their group end game tech, so we had to put level gates in. I have no problem with level gates on super powerful perks, I just didn't like them on attributes. There are still plenty of good perks to enjoy at attribute level 10 so specialization is rewarding.

The only other option was to make rare ingredients in the crafts, or make recipes super grindy, and noone wants to go there.

There are certainly more options than that. Perfect may be the enemy of best and all, but I feel like we have barely scratched the surface of ideas. That said, my builder appreciated that she didn't have to go out and kill a dozen more levels worth of zombies to be able to make a forge for us. I made the fighter (and tank), she made the crafter (and shooter). I build, she makes the blocks. We explore, she makes the gear. I tank, she spanks. It's supposed to be easier with two us, not equally hard as if we're both soloing.

Run speed = random? That could be cool. I mean per zombie too, not global.

Please, make it so! :-)

I think all of us would like as much zombie variety as you can give us alongside the voxel world.

Then you would join a server and can't find one to break down because someone else broke them all down. Then we'd need to put more in everywhere and that would look silly. Its literally the same as "forge ahead" which noone liked.

You all added in POIs that can reset, you HAVE the technology in place to make it happen, even on multiplayer servers.

IMO that would be ideal, each zombie would have a range of speed... (min and max) or a factor of "up to bonus %".

+1 to +5% variance would add a lot of randomness to their movement changing timings and making us on edge often rather then swing-power-step back-swing-swing routine every time.

Speed variations for zombies when spawned has been on my todo list for a while. Low priority.

• Boiled eggs do not need master chef cook to make

Thank you!!

Actually I believe it should.

1. "Master Chef" is a perk progression TITLE. It does not mean that in order to boil eggs you have to be a master chef.

2. #BolingEggsGate. This has been brought up a few times. That EVERYONE knows how to boil eggs. That is patently false. I actually have been a chef (low grade - not master), been involved in and taught cooking classes. Boiling eggs is a typical early lesson. You don't think anything can wrong?

a. Underboiled. In my experience, almost no one eats runny under boiled eggs.

b. Overboiled. Yep. You can. Usually not as bad as under boiled.

c. Preparation: How many people can cleanly remove the shell?

There are 'tricks' to make that easier - but they are not something EVERYONE knows.

This is true for fried eggs as well. Beginners have a tendency to introduce a LOT of shell into fried eggs. And, you could even make an argument that with 'experience' a person might become more accepting of ways things are cooked. (shells/dirt in the eggs, etc.)

-------

Why does it seem that MOST (rofl) people cannot seem to find ways to justify things that are different - or that they don't like?

It's the first thing I do when I experience something new TFP has done. Try to figure out reasons why they might have done so. Or even reasons they might not have thought of. Kind of a mini-game in itself. (And why you don't see tons of posts from me.)

I like this change. And they lowered the attribute costs.

People say no level gates. But you need some kind of gate. Level gates, rng gates, or skill point gates. Something has to be there to tell the player "no, you cant have that now, work twords it"

Without that there's no progression.

The conflict over level gates amuses me, because people act like that is the only gate in the game.

Travel gate: Why do I have to walk to get places?

Loot gate: Why do I have to find and open containers to get stuff?

Combat gate: Why do I have to kill zombies so they stop attacking me?

XP gate: Why do I have to do things to get experience?

Night gate: Why do I have to wait for the sun to come up?

Ammo gate: Why do weapons need ammo and why do I have to reload then?

Food gate: Why do I find food and eat to not be hungry?

Farm gate: Why do I have to wait for food to grow?

Hunting gate: Why do I have to find, kill and harvest animals to get their meat?

Anything gate: Why do I have to...?

There is a solution to all these gates. Debug menu and creative mode. Do whatever you want.

#NoEndGameGate and #TheGamePushesYouToKillZombiesExclusivelyGate

(faatal forgot these...)

Umm. No. Please stop speaking for me. (especially when you use words/phrases like 'most', or don't use words/phrases like 'for me', etc.

I have my own end game. I'd like to think I'm a positive kind of person, wanting to help others, and make things better. So, I beautify 7D2D homes and towns. That's my 'job'. I don't consider myself a builder - I'm not that creative.

I pick up all the trash (blocks, whatever), fix things (get rid of opened cupboards, replace them with nice closed ones, etc.) While I will usually start a new game if I die (although I don't do dead is dead) almost nothing gets me more worked up than spending time refurbishing a place, just to have it crumble - because I forgot a brace while doing something. (I have 4400 hours in and have a pretty good understanding of 'SI'.)

The funny thing is - I used to get a little bothered when a wandering horde would trash something I fixed. (What a noob.) BUT, then I learned to 'sense' when a wandering horde might appear soon, and take 'precautions'; for when it does happen! (dogs, bears, wolves, too)

I have nicknamed myself "LawnMower Man" because I will even usually clean up all of the 'grass' around buildings. (OCD you know) (Man, what I wouldn't do for a lawnmower, or a grass sickle from Jax's Ravenhearst.)

And, yes, I do kill zombies. And, sometimes when I need a break from cleaning, I might go zombie hunting for a little. Usually when I am hunting for meat. But, it's not my 'game'.

And, btw, TFP (THIS IS FOR TFP DEVS ONLY!!! (rofl)) - please feel free to start me in ANY biome but just with the following caveats:

1. Please not buried so many layers down in the ground. Especially without a tool to get out.

2. Please not 200 blocks in the air, without some way to arrive on the ground not dead. (Hurt is fine. Just not dead.)

3. Please not at the bottom of a really deep lake without some way to arrive at the surface not dead.

4. Please not in the 'middle' of a radiation zone, without some (probable) way of getting out without dying.

BTW, TFP, I don't believe I have ever asked for anything, but it sure would be nice if you would LISTEN TO ME for a change.

(BTW2 - I really would vote 7D2D best game, or TFP best developer on the Steam Awards, but, alas...)

; - )

My preferred style of play is: No air drops, no loot respawn, but it admittedly only works well when it's a solo game or just the wife and I playing.

Same here (except for playing with your wife).

I think the option for respawning loot should be off by default. Playing solo with respawning loot is missing something. I'm pretty sure lot of players just don't set "no respawn" because they don't think about it.

I agree with you regarding real life difficulty in cooking, and it is surprising how many people can't boil an egg, or cook toast without it burning.

A solution to having the perk system simulate this better, would be to have 3 variants of each cooked item:-

Undercooked - Medium nutrition, high food poisoning chance

Overcooked - Low nutrition, low food poisoning chance

Cooked - High nutrition, no food poisoning chance

Every person is able to cook every recipe at any level, but if they don't have the skill (perk) to cook that recipe correctly, they have a very high chance of undercooked/overcooked item as the result of the recipe, and a really small chance of getting properly cooked.

Once the skill has been learnt, undercooked/overcooked chances fall to almost 0% chance.

To add to the jeopardy, there would be no way of knowing which type you have without eating it.

Not sure how this last part could work regarding stacking of items, because I don't think it would work having it as a risk calculated upon eating, as this would mean you couldn't buy food from the trader without it being affected by your own skill level (makes no sense), or people would cheese it, and cook the stuff when they don't have the skill, and save it in a chest until they have the skill to make it safe for eating.

This combined with a spoilage system (I know it has been discussed, and not sure if it will ever make it into the game or not at some point down the line), would add a significant layer of realism, complexity and difficulty, that would also add much more importance to the chef perks.

Just a thought.

you could even make an argument that with 'experience' a person might become more accepting of ways things are cooked. (shells/dirt in the eggs, etc.)

They could introduce an Iron Gut perk. Eating stuff that is dodgy doesn't hurt you, or at least not as much. Food Poisoning, to you, means Alternate Nutrients.

The conflict over level gates amuses me, because people act like that is the only gate in the game.

Hunting gate: Why do I have to find, kill and harvest animals to get their meat?

There is a solution to all these gates. Debug menu and creative mode. Do whatever you want.

This is great...LOL...

1) Removes zombie loot from zombies, since 'you don't want to receive crap from zombies', 'you will get good loot once it drops', 'zombies aren't providing you with crap all the time'.

2) Kills a zombie, said zombie drops a loot bag.

3) Loot bag contains 1 corn meal.

Can someone explain to me why zombie loot is A) not completely removed, or B) zombie loot actually drops useful/valueable stuff.

(Does NL stand for "Not Likey"? ok, now something nice - hey! Know any blue rocks? (I happen to be a musician...))

DV - I doubt that this is all the time. Sometimes I get crap, and sometimes I get gold. And most of the time I get a LOT of guns. Trader won't even buy em from me anymore...

I took on a feral wight recently (I was maybe level 10 - seriously) and a hunting rifle with about 8 rounds. Yeah. I know. Silly. I chickened out and ran into a nearby 'lake' and very carefully maneauvered near the edge where I was finally able to defeat him using my candy cane. It seriously took a while (seriously), and I got really close to dead, (stamina was like 30, max health 30 from 120) but I beat him! And he dropped some loot! Nice! (I had to dive to get - but still...)

Shamwich.

I kind of like it like this. Sometimes makes for really interesting decisions. Dang, I'm, almost dead, there's still a few zombies, but there's a loot drop! What do I do?

; - )

"Fixed : F7 mode kills UI interaction"

You're awesome.

Edit : Since it's a mini patch, can the actual game be continued on a random map (without posting bug-reports, of course ^^) ?

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

RWG WILL be an on going tuning process when Kenyajuu gets time... he is aware of most issues. (if you find pois colapsing, that is needed info because that can bring down servers if not caught)

But for those who still persist and its in RED print... Please use new game seeds and not saves.

oh, and YW about the F7

I'm sorry, but that's just patently false. NO ONE here acts like level gates are the only gates in the game.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?71414-All-the-gates&highlight=gates

You all are a victim of your own success. We all think you are good enough to solve all of them. Yes, even the ones that directly contradict one another.

:smile-new:

I'm sorry, but that's just patently false. NO ONE here acts like level gates are the only gates in the game.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?71414-All-the-gates&highlight=gates

Seems like that to me. If the only gate I see a person post about is level gating, then to me they are acting like it is the only gate.

Interesting post that I have never seen. Roland made that a month before I started working at TFP.

You all are a victim of your own success. We all think you are good enough to solve all of them. Yes, even the ones that directly contradict one another.

:smile-new:

But I did provide the solution. Debug menu and creative mode.

It wasn't needed for solo play so much IMO, but with team EXP bonuses people were unlocking INT10 features on day 5, which gives their group end game tech, so we had to put level gates in.

That explanation makes a lot of sense, I just didn't consider it because I'm not a multiplayer kind of guy. I'm significantly less sad about the level gates now. :)

Archived