Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The entire point of the game is to "get to the top," where "top" means "I can be safe from zombies and not die." That is what drives the perception of progression in a game without a storyline.

And for others the point is to have fun doing so. Or something entirely different.

I respect your opinion, but there is a big flaw in it.

The entire point of the game is to "get to the top," where "top" means "I can be safe from zombies and not die." That is what drives the perception of progression in a game without a storyline.

This is not accurate at all. The game means different things to different people. I may argue passionately for what I want to see, but even I understand that all I can do is project MY opinion. The game means so many things to so many people.

If that indeed was the point, then Dead is Dead wouldn't be a thing. On our earliest servers we had a plan in place to wipe our map every 60 days, take what we can in our backpack and rebuild somewhere new as a community. Think Walking Dead Season 5 I believe. We are wanderers, we build a place and then on day 59 we unleash a hellish horde in the center of our town and run.

There is no one right way to play or to tell anyone else to play. All you can do is do what makes it fun for YOU. As a modder all i can do is share my vision of what I find fun for me and hope people enjoy it as well. But at no point should anyone say "This is what this game is and that's it". It's a zombie survival crafting game. And even then you can turn zombies off and build in peace. It's a "kitchen sink" game.

Not everyone treats the game like it's the final game of varsity season.

To those going on about RWG right now, have patience. I work on gameplay systems too so I can't just spend hours upon hours on RWG right now. It's functional, the biome generator is running from xml again, now I need the time to clean it up. It's not a matter of not knowing what to do or what would look best. It never is. It's a matter of having the time to do it.

With the way RWG was created this release I'll be able to work on it without breaking worlds that players already have. With that though do realize, if there is a crafting bug, I have to work on it, not RWG. If there is a problem with buffs or effects or animations or progression, I have to work on those, not RWG. See where I'm going here? My time is at a premium and RWG will get it's love, just not right at this exact moment. There are bigger fish to fry than tweaking RWG to "perfection" right now.

When it comes to RWG, have faith. I have things in the fire, I just don't have time to finish them up prior to the holidays so I put in what I had ready to go and put the biome stuff back to the old a16 version until I get the new cellular automata (self sorting) biome code in place. Then snow and desert will never touch

and it's output looks very similar to that blobby image above that someone posted (already tested in a test project).

You can't do it all at once, right when we want it, the exact way that we want it, hmmm that's odd. LOL but seriously, thanks for your hard work. just finished streaming it with the 233 patch, having a ball! 16 was my first but this is by far my fav game ever and I'm really old. good luck and may the bug gremlins find others to harasss

==================

This is not accurate at all. The game means different things to different people. I may argue passionately for what I want to see, but even I understand that all I can do is project MY opinion. The game means so many things to so many people.

If that indeed was the point, then Dead is Dead wouldn't be a thing. On our earliest servers we had a plan in place to wipe our map every 60 days, take what we can in our backpack and rebuild somewhere new as a community. Think Walking Dead Season 5 I believe. We are wanderers, we build a place and then on day 59 we unleash a hellish horde in the center of our town and run.

There is no one right way to play or to tell anyone else to play. All you can do is do what makes it fun for YOU. As a modder all i can do is share my vision of what I find fun for me and hope people enjoy it as well. But at no point should anyone say "This is what this game is and that's it". It's a zombie survival crafting game. And even then you can turn zombies off and build in peace. It's a "kitchen sink" game.

Not everyone treats the game like it's the final game of varsity season.

============================

well said

better than zombie bears, maybe? lol. and yeah, I've never farmed screamers. usually end up killing them before they scream. though I feel like they are easier to get rid of now. many times i've had one at my door, i open it, smash her in the head, and no scream. other times i've rounded a corner, ran by her, freaked out, fumbled a moment, killed her, and still no scream. was surprised to say the least.

Screamers now have a small delay between seeing you and screaming, so you can surprise them.

Lemme fix that for you...

"The entire point of the game for me is to "get to the top," where "top" means "I can be safe from zombies and not die."

It really can't be otherwise in a zombie survival game. Don't get me wrong, players (including me) enjoy the farming and crafting aspects, but of necessity they have to be done in the context of surviving zombies.

Because without that goal, there's no motivation to craft steel/iron tools, or make a concrete base, or get better food, or start a farm, or whatever. You might as well just mod out all skill points and leveling.

(EDIT: Or only play in creative mode :).)

My only point: Roland shouldn't criticize players for doing what the game, itself, is motivating the player to do. If "rush[ing] to get to the top" causes the game to be less enjoyable, that's not a problem with the player, that's a problem with the game.

...But having said all that, I don't think it causes the game to be less enjoyable. Even if you rush to get a forge, you're so deficient in other areas that you aren't closer to reaching the "top" than you would have been otherwise.

Or close enough, anyways, and TFP are still balancing things.

Hello. Do you know that since the b233, the bears took power in 7 days? They appear in place of POI sleepers. We find them by tens.

only when you don't start a new game as explained everywhere. please delete your world and start a fresh game with every new patch to avoid unneeded and unwanted bugs.

Hi, my a13 save doesn't work and your company sucks because you devs are too lazy to fix it, and that's why no one buys your game anymore; I've seen the steam reviews so I know, so I'm leaving and never returning. If you listened to me, you'd all be profit sharing millionaires because I took some gwbasic classes back in the 80's so I have a VERY good understanding of how to make games!

gorilla.bas for life!

Dear Sir,

a13 was deemed an unlucky number, so we can't support anything using that number. Based on your awesome feedback, we have decided to rewrite the game in gwbasic. Estimated completion date is December 2023. Please never return then and provide us with more incredible insight. Disclaimer: due to expected performance issues with gwbasic the game is scheduled to be rereleased December 2028 after being rewritten in assembly code.

Dear Sir,

a13 was deemed an unlucky number, so we can't support anything using that number. Based on your awesome feedback, we have decided to rewrite the game in gwbasic. Estimated completion date is December 2023. Please never return then and provide us with more incredible insight. Disclaimer: due to expected performance issues with gwbasic the game is scheduled to be rereleased December 2028 after being rewritten in assembly code.

Nooo! gwbasic is so not hip. Please rewrite the game in either SQL or Java. I would say Python but that's a very very hardcore complicated language, I suspect you guys don't have programmers knowledgeable in it.

Is nightmare supposed to be faster than human running speed? Cause it's way slower..

Nightmare is an "experimental" speed meant to be faster than sprint. Unfortunately it is capped by the run anim speed, so does not do much at the moment. There are ways to make it faster but they need careful testing to not break the other speeds. Careful takes time and I don't like breaking stuff.

I rarely post, but I have to say something here. Overall I like this game, but for the love of casual gamers please STOP level locking content. gyrocopter locked until lvl 120 is ridiculous. Locking it behind anything other than a point system is ridiculous. level locking isn't fun please stop this nonsense. It is one of the reasons I couldn't give the game a fully-positive score in the poll. let players pursue their own character nitches using the points they earn in a way that reflects the type of game they want to focus on. The game is hard enough having to walk over 1k minimum just to get to a quest and realistically any APEX is going to have vehicles abandoned that a person can just hotwire and claim. I hate that I have to work so hard just to be able to drive around in this game and now I have to wait until I have been playing for several weeks to even buy the perk. I was so excited last build when the level caps were removed. Please stop level locking (but keep up all the other good work you guys are doing great!). Thank you.

Yah, that would be a pretty short game.... Day 3 max you win. Get to the top of any of the tallest buildings and you are safe from zombies...

Sorry to keep harping on about this, but this statement is actually a good example of what I was talking about.

The game doesn't let you do "win" this way. That's where the survival aspect comes in. You could go to the top of the tallest building, and even assuming you're totally safe from zombies, you'd still starve and get dehydrated and die.

So, the survival aspect provides an in-game motivation to put yourself at risk by going out among the zombies, thus providing a motivation for getting a farm going, building a base, leveling up, etc.

If the game actually did let you do this, then it would be a problem with the game, not the player. Roland could say "this is only a problem for players that sit at the top of the tallest building" - but with the motivation given to you by the game, players would be crazy not to do that.

...And that's the last I'll say about it.

Regarding Pritch, I think they SHOULD be level locked, but I also think it would be nice to have some functionable or some missing some parts around. Such as a chopper on a helipad uptop a hospital skyscraper, maybe a random chance outside a bar or something for a minibike or hog that requires hell to get + need repairs. Maybe a busted engine that you need to swap out or something.

My only point: Roland shouldn't criticize players for doing what the game, itself, is motivating the player to do. If "rush[ing] to get to the top" causes the game to be less enjoyable, that's not a problem with the player, that's a problem with the game.

Oh yes he should!

Because the whole key to this is speed. I don't disagree with you or deny that the purpose of the game is to survive. I play dead is dead myself and survive just fine by reaching level 10 by day seven. See? Surviving zombies and working my way through the progression but not focused on doing it as quickly as possible.

What is absolutely ridiculous is to do everything in your power to rush through the progression and reach the end by day 5 (as one poster claimed) and.....complain about it. There is nothing in the game forcing anyone to hunt down every zombie (A17) make pointless tunnels to nowhere (A16) or hundreds of never to be used stone axes (A15) for the sole purpose of leveling up as quickly and efficiently as possible. Not only is there no forcing but as I just proved in my first paragraph it isn't even needed for survival. You can play the game pursuing other goals besides leveling up and still survive just fine.

Now you just said you like to play efficient and fast and you like it and have no complaints. That's great. You should play how you enjoy playing and that is exactly what I want for all those who race to the end of the game but then cry about how boring it is by day 10. Don't play that way if you admit it isn't fun. Guess what I'm doing for 30+ days after you've called it quits? Still having fun and still finding things to do and surviving.

It really is so easy.

Let me ask you this: What if the game dropped all xp gaining from killing zombies and all other activities so that nothing earned xp and instead you just increased a level at the end of each day that you survived. This would mean that no matter what you did or how efficiently you did it you would always level up once per day. What activities would you do? Where would the fun of the game reside for you? Would you still hunt and kill every zombie in your path since it wouldn't matter or would you ignore some? Would you use the trader more or less? Would you build more? What goals would drive you in the game if the ability to speed up the progression was removed from your control and the only actions that mattered were those that would help you survive and that were of interest to you?

Now try playing that way even though you can gain xp. You'll still be able to survive. I played for 800+ hours before xp was even added to the game and I pretty much play the same way now as I did then.

Hello everyone,

can someone help me understand one of the changes in the latest patch notes?

"Sleeper volume padding of .9 in xz for when passive is disabled"

I have no idea what this means:upset:

Sleepers are inside of rectangles. .9 meters of extra horizontal size was added to those rectangles when it checks how close a player is. When the player is close it activates the sleepers, so they can hear noise and see light. Otherwise you could walk next to a POI, shoot a gun and every sleeper would wake up and try to find you. We don't want that ruining our traps and performance would be bad.

Nightmare is an "experimental" speed meant to be faster than sprint. Unfortunately it is capped by the run anim speed, so does not do much at the moment. There are ways to make it faster but they need careful testing to not break the other speeds. Careful takes time and I don't like breaking stuff.

Understandable.

I just heard it was supposed to be faster than player running speed so you can't outrun them.

Sleepers are inside of rectangles. .9 meters of extra horizontal size was added to those rectangles when it checks how close a player is. When the player is close it activates the sleepers, so they can hear noise and see light. Otherwise you could walk next to a POI, shoot a gun and every sleeper would wake up and try to find you. We don't want that ruining our traps and performance would be bad.

Thank you for the reply.

I understand that this is for the editor now.

I feel like this game is leaning more and more towards a full-on horror game with all the jumpscares and player-designated traps, which is not a good thing for me but maybe good for others...

I kinda wanted to start drawing more or all the sleepers out of a POI to clear it, like in any zombie tvshow where they knock on the doors/windows to draw them out.

Hate the fact that EVERY POI is a dungeon instead of 50% or just larger ones.. but gotta cope with it.

keep up the good work nonetheless.

Hope Passive XP is fixed/being fixed. it should be a priority imo.

Archived