Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Know it isn't going to be A17 but the thought of reworking water adding boats can anyone say piranhas? Lol 😆

Some days I feel like I’m the only one out here who wants 7d2d to be a semi-accurate mirror of our world. I want to be able to accept the wildlife as “natural” and I cannot come up with a believable storyline that explains why piranha are infesting the lakes and rivers of this Navezgane. Likewise I am glad the Behemoth was cut since it move too far into sci fi realms for my tastes. And as awesome as Starvation Mod looks, rhinos and jackals are immersion breaking for me. Yes I can believe some animals escaped from a zoo, but not as many as I’ve seen in LetsPlays.

Keep it straightforward and believable Pimps

-Pip

Some days I feel like I’m the only one out here who wants 7d2d to be a semi-accurate mirror of our world. I want to be able to accept the wildlife as “natural” and I cannot come up with a believable storyline that explains why piranha are infesting the lakes and rivers of this Navezgane. Likewise I am glad the Behemoth was cut since it move too far into sci fi realms for my tastes. And as awesome as Starvation Mod looks, rhinos and jackals are immersion breaking for me. Yes I can believe some animals escaped from a zoo, but not as many as I’ve seen in LetsPlays.

-Pip

You are far from alone, professor.

-Pip

Agree but at the same time a water threat would be nice and this would be better then a zombie shark in a lake lol. How they end up here would be a question but a piranha is in a way like a zombie they we will eat and attack you any chance they get lol.

-Pip

There are significant limitations to this way of thinking.

Navezgane is in Arizona while random gen may not be (it could be whatever your imagination accepts). Also, crafting imposes many suspensions of disbelief to be able to manage resources in a way that doesn't require YEARS to build a base (realistic, sure, but not all fun). And there are countless other examples of situations that might be realistic but certainly are not fun. Breaking a leg, a real possibility in many situations, would mean a long-suffering death for most people in this apocalyptic setting. Running around in bare feet to start (or even cloth slippers) would certainly mean getting cuts and bruises that could lead to infections. Getting an infection could itself be certain death in this environment.

It's not at all realistic that your average person could make a forge and then use scrap bits of brass to make usable bullet casings, combine them with lead chunks and gunpowder and make a bullet that won't explode in their face when used in a gun. Maybe 0.001% of people on the planet could pull it off.

Net result is that there has to be careful consideration on how you balance realism with "fun to play". I don't really find changing diapers enjoyable but when my kids were young I had to do it anyway. Just because it's based on reality doesn't make it fun to do or simulate. Compromises have to be made. :p

It's not at all realistic that your average person could make a forge and then use scrap bits of brass to make usable bullet casings, combine them with lead chunks and gunpowder and make a bullet that won't explode in their face when used in a gun. Maybe 0.001% of people on the planet could pull it off.

We're already the 0.001% in that we're not zombies, so maybe freehand bullet making and surviving whatever zombified everyone else go hand-in-hand. /shrug

There are significant limitations to this way of thinking.

Navezgane is in Arizona while random gen may not be (it could be whatever your imagination accepts). Also, crafting imposes many suspensions of disbelief to be able to manage resources in a way that doesn't require YEARS to build a base (realistic, sure, but not all fun). And there are countless other examples of situations that might be realistic but certainly are not fun. Breaking a leg, a real possibility in many situations, would mean a long-suffering death for most people in this apocalyptic setting. Running around in bare feet to start (or even cloth slippers) would certainly mean getting cuts and bruises that could lead to infections. Getting an infection could itself be certain death in this environment.

Net result is that there has to be careful consideration on how you balance realism with "fun to play". I don't really find changing diapers enjoyable but when my kids were young I had to do it anyway. Just because it's based on reality doesn't make it fun to do or simulate. Compromises have to be made. :p

"significant limitations to this way of thinking" vs "careful consideration on how you balance realism with "fun to play""? Prof did say 'semi-accurate'. (and semi probably doesn't necessarily mean exactly 50%)

"It's not at all realistic that your average person could make a forge..." It seems plausible a game like this could totally abstract a SURVIVOR, after x amount of time, visiting and raiding bookstores and finding info on forges, gathering necessary items - could actually make a some kind of forge.

(It also seems ok to have a backpack hold 6000 stone as an abstraction to having to make 5000 boring trips...)

For me, if Fun Pimps can come up with 'reasonable' reasons or stories as to why something is the way it is - great. (Maybe prof was kind of hinting at that.) If not, I'll weigh the un-realism for whatever vs the fun aspects of everything else and either keep playing or quit. (I am not too worried...)

I think better movement and more options for climbing up ontop of things then nerdpoleling would be nice, maybe a parkour or movement skill that you can unlock things like faster run speed and faster climbing with? you could maybe only use it with fists to keep people from climbing with a ak47 and to sacrifice a tool slot for freeruning.

power and weapons

i was thinking air powered traps like dart box and or blade traps variants or make traps specifically for pneumatic system. have a generator or battery bank power an air compressor and use short pipes to connect to the traps, the traps would have high consumption of air but have high damage. when the air tank or tanks are full the power to them turns off until it gets low. this could also be used with the new vehicle system. an impact tool connected to an air compressor could repair faster and with less resources used then standard repair kits. i was thinking it would be cool to have a paintball gun in the game that could shoot rocks or darts or even use gas to make it a flamethrower. the same air tanks used for the compressor could be used to power the paintball gun.

That's fair enough I respect that. As I said it definitely could come down a bit. When i'm augering I run with the game sounds at 6% so i can hear folks on discord :-)

I do play PVP though and if they start to provide independent volume controls for tools and vehicles in the game we could end up with some players having an advantage over others and you would just end up with everybody turning off the sound of the auger / car.

I guess the best way around it would just be to make the auger and vehicles significantly quieter for everyone.

Does it actually mute it for the other people in the game if you turn your sounds down? I didn't think it did for them. I thought they still heard them even if you turned them all the way off.

Does it actually mute it for the other people in the game if you turn your sounds down? I didn't think it did for them. I thought they still heard them even if you turned them all the way off.

You have it correct. The volume settings affect the level of noise coming out of your speakers not anyone else's. Crouching while doing things might make it quieter for others as well but that's the only way I see it happening currently.

-Pip

As far as the piranhas.....maybe one of the Duke's men put them in the river to make life hard on someone that annoyed them. Or they were at a local aquarium that got destroyed during the apocalypse and spilled them out into the river near it and spread to all the water areas after they mutated from the fallout. LOL

Agree but at the same time a water threat would be nice and this would be better then a zombie shark in a lake lol. How they end up here would be a question but a piranha is in a way like a zombie they we will eat and attack you any chance they get lol.

barracuda would be more believable than piranha.

Then there's the issue that piranha tend to be afraid of people not act aggressively toward them.

-Pip

Quite pheasable really. They escaped from the zoo and bred like crazy due to no natural predators.

A good imagination and many reasons can be given as to why or how they got there. Piranhas swim yeh...... rivers sometimes connect to other river systems etc etc you get my point.

Starvation animals are awesome and certainly can be reasoned as to why they are there. But the main reason you seeso many isdue to the games limitations of being able to specify exactly how many spawn. You can lower the probs but then they wont spawn.

One should be happy people have donated their own time and their own money to gift you great game playcand use more thoughysbas to how they would be there also.

I am even sure tfp should look at those animals found in a zoo also. I be even happier tho to come across a zoo thats been abandoned in the game and you could set up base and care for these animals and all.

Power attack, whoop!

With new vehicles coming, i hope the head turning, while driving, gets fixed. If you're wearing mining helmet, it's super useful if the head turns where you looking with the mouse to shine light on the side of the minibike. I have found it to be buggy many times.

Hey Roland. While your talking to him. Why don't you ask him to clarify what flying machines he plans to put in the game.

Up until the last video it was all about gyrocopters. But now he is talking about putting in helicopters.

There's a big difference between them. So which is it?

Thanks. :)

Gyrocopter. The model is already there and there is no helicopter model. When he said helicopter he meant the flying machine they already have a model for which is the gyrocopter.

I hope the issue with the player's head clipping thru the roof of the car gets fixed before it is released.

Will we be able to get more than one dude in a car? Will cars have heat & AC?

Madmole got back to me and said that the cars that are currently in the game will not be drivable. The video that he shot was not even an ingame video. It was shot in the developer editor and they are using the car models to start working on things like animations, physics, collision, player positioning, and having a passenger, etc. There is no plan to extend all of that to the cars that are in the game right now.

Hey MM or Roland are we going to be able to paint the Hog and Bike the color we want?

Are We There Yet!! :)

Back in A16 they were looking into tinting for vehicles and Madmole speculated that it might allow players to color the vehicles but I haven't heard or seen anything since.

Quite pheasable really. They escaped from the zoo and bred like crazy due to no natural predators.

A good imagination and many reasons can be given as to why or how they got there. Piranhas swim yeh...... rivers sometimes connect to other river systems etc etc you get my point.

Starvation animals are awesome and certainly can be reasoned as to why they are there. But the main reason you seeso many isdue to the games limitations of being able to specify exactly how many spawn. You can lower the probs but then they wont spawn.

One should be happy people have donated their own time and their own money to gift you great game playcand use more thoughysbas to how they would be there also.

I am even sure tfp should look at those animals found in a zoo also. I be even happier tho to come across a zoo thats been abandoned in the game and you could set up base and care for these animals and all.

Please don’t imply that I don’t appreciate the Modders, because I do. But just like any other group of people I may at times disagree with their decisions. Escaped zoo animals would explain a handful of exotic animals, to my mind, but with the rarity of captive wild births, I don’t see those numbers skyrocketing just because they are now free. Very few animals would actually be ably fill a niche in an alien(to them) ecosystem. Likewise, I don’t believe it’s reasonable to believe that piranha swam up from the Amazon or that the relatively small numbers that could be released into the wild would populate every waterway to the extent of becoming a threat.

Give us a water moccasin or something similar instead. I find it more reasonable that they might have encroached westward than exotic animals have bred to the extent that lakes and rivers are full of piranha.

No, i just had no idea how the damn thing works. I thought you had to flip it again on the same position insead of the straight way up, and that's why it took me ages to figure it out. Laugh all you want or call me silly, i got it now finally lol

Welcome to the forum!

Instead of aquatic threats everywhere I'd rather there be an occasional threat anywhere and I'm thinking larger than piranha....

zombie-croc-3.jpg

or

1523350-bigthumbnail.jpg

A rare shark or a gator that is zombified wouldn't care if it is fresh water or salt water and just knowing their COULD be something that spawns in the river or lake with you is enough to keep people freaked out every time they risk a swim.

Please don’t imply that I don’t appreciate the Modders, because I do. But just like any other group of people I may at times disagree with their decisions. Escaped zoo animals would explain a handful of exotic animals, to my mind, but with the rarity of captive wild births, I don’t see those numbers skyrocketing just because they are now free. Very few animals would actually be ably fill a niche in an alien(to them) ecosystem. Likewise, I don’t believe it’s reasonable to believe that piranha swam up from the Amazon or that the relatively small numbers that could be released into the wild would populate every waterway to the extent of becoming a threat.

Give us a water moccasin or something similar instead. I find it more reasonable that they might have encroached westward than exotic animals have bred to the extent that lakes and rivers are full of piranha.

An animal with no predators can quite easily repopulate quicker then in captivity in the wild. I don't see why you think its impossible for piranhas to swim to other lake systems and again refer to if a animal has no predators and a piranha is released into the wild it will repopulate it's nature. But you can always mod those animals out if you so wish.

Archived