Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Clothing doesn't have any negative values. In other words shorts keep you some warm, but keep you a lot cool. So in most cases you don't need to change clothing once you get enough good stuff.

I seen that but they do not cover the full range of each biome type talking mainly Desert and snow.

Not to mention added/subtracted weather values of having it be-day night shade wind cloud fog rain. or lack of these depending.

In previous alpha I was able to make the core temp of my character change gradually over time so that once I step into a different Biome it would take anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes before the first temperature debuff even hit me.

Now If i step back and forth between 2 blocks right next to each other it changes instantly.

Higher quality weapons have more mod slots. Each installed mod regardless of its type, add more damage. So higher tier weapons ultimately have more damage potential when fully modded out.

Despite the haters of this, I love it (along with I'm sure most). The highest anything I have is lvl 2 and no mods yet on Day 3. Just knowing I have a long time before I am OP makes me happy.

I would love to get working on a serious build but with the slow progression, I'm guessing I won't be ready to take on a horde at a base until at least day 21 horde. I have a love hate with that idea, but mostly love because it will feel AWESOME when I finally get there. The accomplished feeling will be much more real in A17.

Is there a way to make the old vehicle steering controls the default. The mouse steering is just not nearly as good

Hold down shift I believe. Then the mouse becomes look and you steer with wasd. It might also be holding down one of the mouse buttons. At any rate you hold something down and mouse shifts from steering to looking like before. I can’t check atm.

Of course that doesn’t make it default like you were asking.

@Fun pimps i have to say thank you, i am loving A17. the difficulty and penalty's for dying are awesome. finally back to it being a great challenge again!

so far everything is perfect.

i have only run into some minor terrain issues with pois, but i having found anything that would break the game for me :)

We added attributes that govern your perk choices. If your attribute gets damaged you lose the perks if you no longer meet the requirements. This allowed for us to make more interesting debuffs and death penalties than only having health and stamina to deal with.

Long story short, we had skills sandwiched between attributes and perks and all it did was confuse everyone and add clutter to the UI. So Attributes governed skills which governed perks? It was so confusing Everyone hated it.

I had considered making attributes gain through actions but at the end of the day its not that much fun to grind skills in order to buy perks. When it reaches 100 you cannot gain any skill doing what you love, like in Skyrim it suffered that problem. Once your skill is maxed you are leveling skills you hate just to raise your level. They later added the ledgendary reset thing, but I'm not a fan of it so much. You lose all your perks and started over at 15 skill. So suddenly you were a horrible swordsman after being the best of the best.

With this system you can play how you want to play and buy what you want. No spam crafting junk you don't need, no jumping off of bridges to raise your athletics (Oblivion), no sneaking in the corner of a bar to level your sneak (Oblivion/skyrim)... that stuff is bs. I can argue that skill grinding is even more unrealistic than what we have now because nobody learns how to chop off heads by punching grass. Think of it as reading a book and learning a new skill to go try out.

In real life you fundamentally walk through a new action in your brain before your body does it. Think of the perk as deciding to walk down a path and then doing it.

At the end of the day I'm playing the game how I want to play it. Crafting exactly what I need, specializing in the perks I want. Why have to jump 13,588 times to reach agility level 5? Is it fun bunny hopping? Nope. Sorry but this is the best system IMO.

Yeah the debuffs and losing skills although temporary remind me of the Old days in MMORPG's where you could lose enough exp to de-level.

The sandwiched perks attributes etc. and Gates where how you all made it. At that time you said it was the best system too.

A lot of us questioned it and gave suggestions to expand upon it.

Like why would/Do you gain points to spend when you could've just gave the perks outright for what the player was doing.

Also why would you need to stop gaining exp. just because you bought everything or mastered that particular branch? the Exp could've still been given out for doing the same thing.

Why if you say it is better this way and we have freedom to do what we want......Than why do we have to buy things we do not and wait for levels on things we do?

You still have sandwiched perks and skills and gates its just arranged differently than before.

It is still going to need a lot added and a ton of adjusting to get it right.

I'm not saying the old system was better I am just saying this is NO better than the old system.

My story so far, I found a poi with a work bench near a trader. I am killing every zombie I see. I try a quest from the trader and it takes me to the desert where my stamina went to ♥♥♥♥ and I died doing the quest. The creepiest poi I found was a house full of boars, I got a ton a meat tho so it was worth it.

Well.. To be fair; my FPS dropped by 40%. Two friends of mine just tested A17e, and found they had average FPS values of 11 and 15. So.. It's a valid complaint imho.

I doubt there will be some magic switch in the code which brings back that 40% after reaching stable.. ;-)

It must have to do something with different rigs. I'm getting about the same FPS as I was getting in A16 - same settings too. I didn't do a full wipe so all of my settings were the same. They might be a little lower, but I'm usually hanging between 28 and 32 FPS and I have a 3 year old gaming laptop GTX 960m... Nothing fancy, but still decent for it's age.

I did upgrade to a 1Tb SSD from a HDD but that didn't seem to help performance in A16. Maybe harddrive type has more of an influence with the new engine that balanced it out for me...?

I can "almost" say ditto to this entire post (except I purchased my 7dtd Mar 2015).

I hate FPS games in general BECAUSE of FOV issues.

I too can get migraines and feel nauseated by screen movement if FOV is not set correctly for my own personal comfort.

@Unholyjoe

Will changing the settings you mentioned only work if playing / hosting from my own computer? (aka local game w hubby only)

OR..

Can the settings be used on the dedicated server we play on with others without destroying their FOV?

Unfortunately for me I LOVE 7dtd too much to go play something else.. so pls, pls, pls bring back the FOV slider.

Ta muchly :)

---

p.s. Based on the multi-twitch I wached this weekend (30+ hours!):

The a17 changes look fantastic (even if it's harder and will scare the crud out of me even more).

Beautiful scenery and much smoother transitions not forgetting the wonderful new textures.

Thank you all so much for your hard work to bring us such an amazing game. :)

Ditto.

20k hours as of last year and I instantly get a headache with A17. Hard to focus; things seem blurry for me. I've messed with settings but if FoV is issue then meh.

Vote h0tr0d 2020

Its like in real life if you get hurt or sick you can't do the things you were planning to do. I still do them though, but have to go a little slower or sometimes change your plans like work on your base that day. THe debuff isn't any worse than day 1 when you spawned and you were out doing stuff then, so I don't see why you feel so debilitated. Your always stronger than a newly spawned character because your tier 1 perks never go away. So with this mentality do you go afk when you are level 1 and use cheats to level up? Its not worse than being level 1, so I don't understand comments like these. Ok you lost some of your SUPER POWERS but not all of them.

It would be realy good point it real life but ...

Well where should I start ..?

THIS IS A GAME, not real life ... Why people usually play games??? Because they want to get away from reality for some time! Its a fact, many of corse will deny it, but thats the way it is.

Okey if this game aims for the ''real survival simulation'' genre its all ok ..

Dying debuff, is it rly necessary?? We already get our hp and stamina nerfed to ground by dying .. and sometimes it just get you to point when you just place down your bedroll and start wacking stuff and die over and all over again despite all debuffs ..

My point is: this is just a game and its ment to be fun

A16 - Was abusing hell out of that game, exploiting zed AI, creating OP bases, building huge, mining was easy - got you alot of resorces and was excelent way of lvling up (even if skill was maxed sill got u exp), was using glitches in my advantage, every playthrogh i died around 200 times (wellness system was good but wasnt too motivating (maybe adding some wellness buffs for different wellness lvls would bin good idea, like bonus stamina/hp reg, faster attack speed, etc) And no matter how I did things I dint feel punished for it, I enjoyed every minute of it, even hiding underground and mining in horde night felt fun, and if I suddenly changed my mind I could go out and start defending myself from horde on some random house roof ..

I have like 1k+ hours on this game, and I have enjoyed hell out of it by NOT playing by ''real'' survival rules :)

And at the same time there was ppls who builded their wellness up, was responsible farmers, reinforced prefab buildings, in other words did all what real survivalist did.

Everyone got what they wanted and none felt punished :) Happy end ^^

Point of this story: Reward true survivalists but pls dont dont nerf and punish too hard other ppls who maybe enjoy this game a little different way and get killed a bit offten then others :D

Still a17 feels promising

Noise is the way they find you, when you can't be seen. Some player actions are loud, like shooting guns.

Any reasoning behind why I could be sitting in one place and my stealth goes from 3 and climbs up to 15-20ish without me moving a muscle? Just wondering if it is a balancing glitch or if there is something else going on with my character that is making a little noise. Should I post this in the bug reporting forum or is this known?

Not sure when but tests have shown 10 to 30% increases. I think older hardware is suffering more because of all the overdraw when inside a POI because they are more detailed you are drawing layer after layer. We are adding a culling system.

I have no FPS problems, but I also have a 1080TI, SSD, and a i7-8700K CPU. I do have a general question for anyone, because I don't really know...even with that GPU I get around 100% usage (at times) while inside even small structures. Is 100% usage even a bad thing? Could that mean problems for others without a 1500$ machine?

- even in this video is get like 140FPS with 100% usage.

Any reasoning behind why I could be sitting in one place and my stealth goes from 3 and climbs up to 15-20ish without me moving a muscle? Just wondering if it is a balancing glitch or if there is something else going on with my character that is making a little noise. Should I post this in the bug reporting forum or is this known?

This could be due to the changing lighting, maybe? I haven't tested it, but if the lights around you are changing it does make you more visible.

Not sure when but tests have shown 10 to 30% increases. I think older hardware is suffering more because of all the overdraw when inside a POI because they are more detailed you are drawing layer after layer. We are adding a culling system.

Awesome this is great to hear!

will you PLEASE move the musical elements in the ambient sounds to the music section so I can mute them without turning off all ambient sounds.

I want this to feel real and not like im in a b movie. they litterly dont add anything to the game except annoyance

There is a music xml in the config files you can try copying it to a document folder 1st than deleting that folder to begin with.

It may cause an error if it does your going to have to copy it back in and adjust each music manually changing them all to 0.

It appears you can't shoot through to another POI volume until you enter it. I could see a zombie head poking out around a corner. I tried multiple angles to shoot him and it didn't work until I was litterally right in front of him/passing the threshold of the room. Is this a bug or something related to volumes being seperate. It's worth noting, as soon as I passed the threshold it automatically woke up 2 other zombies (making me think it is a volume issue).

Ah this explains why the zombies were so overly alert then and the suppressor not working. POIs should be much better once you have this up and running. Had a feeling that wasn't working as intended. Love all the new and updated POIs visually though.

I understand that, but I just feel like making extra damage being down to exclusively mods a bit odd and could use some more balancing. A perfect quality compound bow fully modded (could only find 3 compatible mods for it) is only a bit over twice as powerful as a level 1 wooden bow.

Tools get hit to a much harder degree though, as a perfect steel pickaxe fully modded (only seems to be 2 mods for them) isn't even twice as powerful as a level 1 stone axe. Perfect steel pickaxe = 36 block damage (fully modded), level 1 stone axe = 26 block damage.

The sense of progression just feels near non-existant there considering how much time and effort it would take to get between the 2 beginning and end points I mentioned. I feel like certain chores like mining tunnels or opening safes should become less tedious after a sufficient amount of time and perk points has been put into your progression. But as it stands now it seems like even the best of the best weapons, mods and perks don't really lead to being a whole lot more efficient. Weapon and tool tiers really need to be more distinct instead of just being more durable in my opinion.

You can do over 150 damage with a steel pickaxe to blocks if not more, I'd have to double check. More mods are on the way.

Archived