Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Levelled loot is dumb. Read pretty much any post I've written on the subject to see why, but in short it's a lazy mechanic that the pimps could be better than, and If the answer is "other games do it" then shame on them. 7days could be ground breaking in many more ways than just Rwg.

I don't think "other games do it" has anything do with it. But, short of "purely random", how would you suggest doing it? The game isn't designed for loot to be distributed based on difficulty of the area. Areas all have the same basic difficulty. So how else can it be done?

Levelled loot is dumb. Read pretty much any post I've written on the subject to see why, but in short it's a lazy mechanic that the pimps could be better than, and If the answer is "other games do it" then shame on them. 7days could be ground breaking in many more ways than just Rwg.

Truth

Absolutely.

I don't think "other games do it" has anything do with it. But, short of "purely random", how would you suggest doing it? The game isn't designed for loot to be distributed based on difficulty of the area. Areas all have the same basic difficulty. So how else can it be done?

Everything I see is that they are developing leveled area and poi's. They already artificially increase certain poi's to a minimum gamestage as well. Wastelands already have an increase of zed population as well. In fact all biomes can be tailored already to a certain degree. There's already sleeper loot volumes as well and most are set to 'false'.

Personally I set all my sleepers to runners 24/7 that alone increases the challenge. You can already make certain poi's and set specific areas to house different zed spawns. Insert a radiated zed here, a bandit group there.. you can even make poi's in biome that house sleepers.

I made some wolf and bear dens... Caves that house sleepers etc,..

Just saying, I think they are setting things up in the game to be more level based and they're putting the tools in place to do so already.

Well MM has continually made the "other games do it" references, so I stand by those statements...

...but for one, yes, "Real" random is better. Also, fewer loot drops. Also, remove the ability to craft above 200, so that loot actually means something. Also, yes harder loot can be in harder places.

People always mistake what can be done in the context of what the game is like now, but I like to envision things in how the game could be "if".

My review of this game (post gold) will likely be titled "The greatest game that ever could have been" and I will be harassing the pimps to supersede this game on their sequels forum too. =)

- - - Updated - - -

Everything I see is that they are developing leveled area and poi's. They already artificially increase certain poi's to a minimum gamestage as well. Wastelands already have an increase of zed population as well. In fact all biomes can be tailored already to a certain degree. There's already sleeper loot volumes as well and most are set to 'false'.

Personally I set all my sleepers to runners 24/7 that alone increases the challenge. You can already make certain poi's and set specific areas to house different zed spawns. Insert a radiated zed here, a bandit group there.. you can even make poi's in biome that house sleepers.

I made some wolf and bear dens... Caves that house sleepers etc,..

Just saying, I think they are setting things up in the game to be more level based and they're putting the tools in place to do so already.

Yeh, I mean as fun as it was to go through the tower pois, you (generic you) can't tell me you weren't disappointed when you finished and realized those crates got you leather couch pieces.

Well MM has continually made the "other games do it" references, so I stand by those statements...

...but for one, yes, "Real" random is better. Also, fewer loot drops. Also, remove the ability to craft above 200, so that loot actually means something. Also, yes harder loot can be in harder places.

People always mistake what can be done in the context of what the game is like now, but I like to envision things in how the game could be "if".

My review of this game (post gold) will likely be titled "The greatest game that ever could have been" and I will be harassing the pimps to supersede this game on their sequels forum too. =)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh, I mean as fun as it was to go through the tower pois, you (generic you) can't tell me you weren't disappointed when you finished and realized those crates got you leather couch pieces.

yup, just a wee bit lol. They did a really poor choice on the loot drops for those places.

Eh, 'IF' they don't change that, I will. I have the means if need be.

Oh, (imo) They should have made the 'goal' to access the basements not the top of the building. Make the entrance to access the basement half way up so players that scaled the outside need to travel down, and those the entered the ground floor needing to travel up to get access.

I agree

yup, just a wee bit lol. They did a really poor choice on the loot drops for those places.

Eh, 'IF' they don't change that, I will. I have the means if need be.

Oh, (imo) They should have made the 'goal' to access the basements not the top of the building. Make the entrance to access the basement half way up so players that scaled the outside need to travel down, and those the entered the ground floor needing to travel up to get access.

In my tower i work on i choose to place the good loot at Top, Middle and Basement

This way the player should want to explore the whole tower

This game doesn't utilize pure leveled loot.

This game has tiered probabilities that simply make the chance for getting better loot better as you level up. A high level character could still get trash and a low level character could still get a treasure but it just isn't very likely.

Regardless of whether the loot probabilities remain tiered or return to static as they once were it won't change the fact that ANYTIME you open a container the contents are rolled in that moment so you will NEVER get away from the idea that two people could open the same container and get different items. That argument is a non sequitur against leveled loot because the loot is not pregenerated for every container in the game anyway.

Static loot probability tables either make the end game very very very boring if you don't want the early game too OP because even when you are high level most of what you are finding is still going to be trash if the probabilities are static for the entire game.

The problem with making tiered difficulty on locations is you need to give some sort of clue as to the difficulty level of an area and once you've done that you have provided the means for players to skip and ignore whole areas of the world because they know those areas have crap loot.

The way it is now you can find a treasure anywhere so you have to search everywhere. As you progress in level and perks the probability that you will find treasures increases so that you still open everything and search everywhere but the ratio of treasure to trash is better so more of what you find is actually useful.

For single player the system we have now works perfectly with the only weird meta being that people will wait to open good containers until they are higher level and have bought the perks. But if that is how they want to play then more power to them and it is a SP game anyway.

MP gaming is where exploity and unfortunate dynamics can occur where the higher level player insists on being the container opener and things like that but then again with the vaunted "difficult areas" approach you would get the same thing where higher level characters would say, "This is my POI. You go loot that campsite over there." So you are never going to get away from stuff like that in MP no matter what system you choose.

@junkrolandpoopedout

Yeh. No. If you've played the game you know that a level 200 is getting purple every time. The small probability of getting a brown is the exception that proves the rule.

More importantly though, it's crap that a lvl1 opens a cabinet and finds a 4 wrench but a lvl200 finds a 600. It's dumb. Levelled loot /can/ work, as a piece of the balance puzzle, but as a system on its own it's dumb.

Leveled harvesting makes sense. On board with that. Levelled loot not so much.

Make it so loot is not overall OP in quality, but allow even first day survivors the rare chance to find blue/purple quality. For a much better chance at high quality I think quests would be the way to go. Trader quests, random notes, treasure maps, crazy quests found in airdrops....

I dont't mind finding average stuff because it can be useful, I just don't want to be required to max Quality Joe before I can get a purple item.

I have something that I believe we could implement, to add a new topic, the repairing skill, I keep thinking about it and I was wondering if it would be possible to change it to being like medicine, so instead of taking 5 perk levels we can level it up by repairing our items and bikes, i think it makes a little more sense than taking 5 ranks and now repairing is epic awesome, id rather be working on it slowly, kinda like how taking medicine in my mind lets you know proper doses and heals you better, switching it to a 100 skill i think would be cool.

Gazz, Roland, what are your takes on that?

This game doesn't utilize pure leveled loot.

This game has tiered probabilities that simply make the chance for getting better loot better as you level up. A high level character could still get trash and a low level character could still get a treasure but it just isn't very likely.

Regardless of whether the loot probabilities remain tiered or return to static as they once were it won't change the fact that ANYTIME you open a container the contents are rolled in that moment so you will NEVER get away from the idea that two people could open the same container and get different items. That argument is a non sequitur against leveled loot because the loot is not pregenerated for every container in the game anyway.

Static loot probability tables either make the end game very very very boring if you don't want the early game too OP because even when you are high level most of what you are finding is still going to be trash if the probabilities are static for the entire game.

The problem with making tiered difficulty on locations is you need to give some sort of clue as to the difficulty level of an area and once you've done that you have provided the means for players to skip and ignore whole areas of the world because they know those areas have crap loot.

The way it is now you can find a treasure anywhere so you have to search everywhere. As you progress in level and perks the probability that you will find treasures increases so that you still open everything and search everywhere but the ratio of treasure to trash is better so more of what you find is actually useful.

For single player the system we have now works perfectly with the only weird meta being that people will wait to open good containers until they are higher level and have bought the perks. But if that is how they want to play then more power to them and it is a SP game anyway.

MP gaming is where exploity and unfortunate dynamics can occur where the higher level player insists on being the container opener and things like that but then again with the vaunted "difficult areas" approach you would get the same thing where higher level characters would say, "This is my POI. You go loot that campsite over there." So you are never going to get away from stuff like that in MP no matter what system you choose.

Well I disagree on this in some way. "Wasteland" and "Burnt Forest" biomes, What incentive does anyone have to even go to them atm? None.. well other than too see if you can thrive in them. Especially when other biomes will provide you the same stuff like you're saying. Why even have them in the game then? Gotta give ppl something, a reason for even going in them. which is why I agree with MM about having "Legendary" items and whatnot. The greater the risk, The potential for greater rewards.

Has the physics been reworked. I ask because i was i dishong tower, and put a secure box above the info desk, then climbed up for Night 1. All good. Went back and put another at other pole and was pummeled by falling wood. Then I tried setting up frames between the poles 8 spaces.

Once again had 64 crates to the head. What did i do wrong?

I think for the better stuff the Trader work well.

I think for better stuff the trader would work well as a quest giver to get the better stuff. either to send you to high threat locations to get the better stuff or to get unique items and then turn it in to get access to specialty stuff.

Just imagine leveled loot in PvP. The fast you join the server the better chance to become the boss of the map. What happanes with us that join after day 45+. Just a theory. Bit sane I think.

Makes complete sense to me. It makes it even more difficult to start after a later point. It will discourage new players from joining servers. When will we get a video to show off features??

Make it so loot is not overall OP in quality, but allow even first day survivors the rare chance to find blue/purple quality. For a much better chance at high quality I think quests would be the way to go. Trader quests, random notes, treasure maps, crazy quests found in airdrops....

I dont't mind finding average stuff because it can be useful, I just don't want to be required to max Quality Joe before I can get a purple item.

Thats exactly the way it works. I got a 425 Sniper Rifle on the 2nd tree stump I looted in a SP game last week.

Archived