Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

That last video didn't look very smooth and very playable. I expected them to be in better shape this far along. Quick question, when you kill a zombie I noticed the bag doesn't pop up right away to loot. Does this mean you have to keep hitting it until it goes "poof" then the bag will pop up? I really would love if the zombies stayed on the ground a little longer and you could loot each one. If they could optimize the game better they wouldn't have to make such silly compromises. I enjoined looting the bodies after defending my base and clearing out a building. Having a bunch of bags appear just doesn't seem right. imo

That last video didn't look very smooth and very playable. I expected them to be in better shape this far along. Quick question, when you kill a zombie I noticed the bag doesn't pop up right away to loot. Does this mean you have to keep hitting it until it goes "poof" then the bag will pop up? I really would love if the zombies stayed on the ground a little longer and you could loot each one. If they could optimize the game better they wouldn't have to make such silly compromises. I enjoined looting the bodies after defending my base and clearing out a building. Having a bunch of bags appear just doesn't seem right. imo

Didn't i read somewhere that zombies weren't going to be lootable anymore?

He’s probably playing in the editor. The testing builds are smoother. Zombie loot isn’t hooked up yet so it’s impossible to comment on it or show it at this time.

Didn't i read somewhere that zombies weren't going to be lootable anymore?

The bodies themselves are no longer lootable nor can you harvest bones and rotten flesh from them. We’ve been told that at some point there will be bags dropped by some zombies that will be loot for killing them. That isn’t implemented yet.

I will say that I don’t even think about zombie loot any more . I’m completely used to it and I still kill them and I still get encumbered by all the crap ton of loot I find and it is still fun.

Thank you for the video! Have a few questions for the dev team:

1. Regarding damaged attributes - Joel stated you'll lose perks temporarily until you fix the problem and then you'll regain those perks. Regaining those perks means we do not have to additionally repurchase them I hope?

2. Does #1 apply to the Pack Mule perk? Let's say my backpack is full and something negatively happens to directly impact that. Will I automatically (or unknowingly) lose slots and then my loot is rolling down a hill?

3. Regarding skillpoints - Is the game progression currently balanced enough to regularly buy some perks? I know we can't get them all, and that's fine, however I'm wondering if it will be a long haul between purchasing them.

Outta the gate I see I'll be starting off with Strength & Construction.

Thanks for your eyeball.

Perks STAY DOWN and HEAVY METAL is dublicate they effects. So one of this perks is redundant. For clubs, sledgehammer and other weapons one skill is enough, isn't it?

You might think they are redundant, but a player with Stay Down AND Heavy Metal will be more powerful than a man with only Stay down. He might expend those 5 points elsewhere. I think this design is good enough and solid enough in its adaptation to the player. The more choices, the more fun. In this case simpler is less. So he opted for at least one skill per weapon, which is perfect, but also spiced with more general skill sets to make it interesting. In the future, we might see more variety, but for me at least, they are good enough to call it an alpha.

The bodies themselves are no longer lootable nor can you harvest bones and rotten flesh from them. We’ve been told that at some point there will be bags dropped by some zombies that will be loot for killing them. That isn’t implemented yet.

I will say that I don’t even think about zombie loot any more . I’m completely used to it and I still kill them and I still get encumbered by all the crap ton of loot I find and it is still fun.

Well I hope someone mods this as soon as 17 comes out! Did anyone else enjoy that aspect? Sneaking around searching the dead zombies and making sure no zombies or players see you. Roland what was zombie looting back inn July when he said the alpha was almost ready? In the videos he always seem shocked by the bugs like its his first time trying the features.

Well I hope someone mods this as soon as 17 comes out! Did anyone else enjoy that aspect? Sneaking around searching the dead zombies and making sure no zombies or players see you. Roland what was zombie looting back inn July when he said the alpha was almost ready? In the videos he always seem shocked by the bugs like its his first time trying the features.

Hated that part of it, glad I will no longer have to clean up dead zombies

Thank you for the video! Have a few questions for the dev team:

1. Regarding damaged attributes - Joel stated you'll lose perks temporarily until you fix the problem and then you'll regain those perks. Regaining those perks means we do not have to additionally repurchase them I hope?

2. Does #1 apply to the Pack Mule perk? Let's say my backpack is full and something negatively happens to directly impact that. Will I automatically (or unknowingly) lose slots and then my loot is rolling down a hill?

3. Regarding skillpoints - Is the game progression currently balanced enough to regularly buy some perks? I know we can't get them all, and that's fine, however I'm wondering if it will be a long haul between purchasing them.

Outta the gate I see I'll be starting off with Strength & Construction.

Thanks for your eyeball.

1) no extra cost. It will be a temporary reduction that is restored once the debuff is resolved.

2) The encumbered slots are always usable so your stuff will never be dropped out of slots. Instead, previously free slots would become encumbered and you would move slower. Once the condition causing the temporary loss in strength was resolved those slots would return to being free again.

3) it’s pretty regular. I wouldn’t call it a long dry spell between leveling up. They are still tinkering with the progression speed, however.

July seems like a lifetime ago and there are painful memories of hopes and estimates seen as promises and guarantees. Maybe if you had a zombie dolly you could show me I could just point and feel less anxiety about what things were like in July.

bodybuilder shows MAJOR STRENGTH GAINS in minutes with no effort!

^ note ingenious clickbait title for future videos ;)

Check out our new strength perks!

• What's the feedback when you land a power attack, 'flurry of blows' attack, or otherwise do more than the normal amount of damage? Could there be a different sound effect on impact, or a more dramatic 'flecks of zombie guts' visual effect, or an extra little layered flinch animation? Honestly, I didn't think stun-locking one zombie was a big deal. It felt responsive seeing the zombie take each blow, and it didn't unbalance things since zombies arrive in numbers. I do think the reaction animations should be short, though, both for balance and to avoid it looking like the zombie is experiencing pain.

• I look forward to seeing what you guys are cooking up for diseases etc. that could damage your core attributes.

• Encumbrance looks good. Thumbs up.

• Thank you for fixing clothes with separate 'cold resistance' and 'heat resistance' values. I didn't agree with how you described it - wearing a winter coat in the desert should be worse than not wearing anything - but the 2 values should be what's needed for clothes to yield reasonable results in different environments.

1) no extra cost. It will be a temporary reduction that is restored once the debuff is resolved.

2) The encumbered slots are always usable so your stuff will never be dropped out of slots. Instead, previously free slots would become encumbered and you would move slower. Once the condition causing the temporary loss in strength was resolved those slots would return to being free again.

3) it’s pretty regular. I wouldn’t call it a long dry spell between leveling up. They are still tinkering with the progression speed, however.

Ahh, thanks!

Hopefully there will some incentive to kill zombies otherwise people will avoid them.

Edit: if the design is to make people avoid them, then it's a good change :).

Posted on Reddit, being sure to emphasize the estimate that it could potentially be out before the end of the year! :3

Also I totally missed the Changes and Fixes list update before about Vulkan being selectable in the menu, that's awesome! Although I hope if it ends up being better and just as stable that it'll be the default, if that's possible, but we'll see.

There is not a single change in 2018 in SVN that mentions Vulkan. I just checked in case I missed a commit by another programmer. When I last enabled Vulkan, most of the textures were pink. Where did this Vulkan info come from?

There is not a single change in 2018 in SVN that mentions Vulkan. I just checked in case I missed a commit by another programmer. When I last enabled Vulkan, most of the textures were pink. Where did this Vulkan info come from?

There is a change in the game launcher that allows you to select between Directx 11, Vulkan, or OpenGL. Madmole has mentioned Vulkan support a couple of times over the past year. So far the only support I have seen is that menu option in the launcher. I have no idea if it is hooked up to anything yet. But that is where it is coming from and just like everything else in flux fueled and etched into reality by the hopes of the fans who want it.

Reduced, yes.

Less useless crap, yes.

Removed, No

Removed presently for the internal builds, yes.

Restored by time A17e releases? maybe.

Restored by time A17 stable releases? probably.

People just need to remember that the intention of the developers is to have loot in some form associated with killing some zombies but it is a WIP and what we will be getting is not the finalized version.

I have a Question about the Perksystem.

In the Video MM posted today,

the bottom Perks under Construction went from 0/1 to 0/3 for every 2 Points he put into Strength... Is it because the Game only then counts your Level on how many Points you spent, or are different Perks prerequisit for other higher Level Perks?

Am I missing something? (Could be, just came home from Work)

I didn't see this answered, and I'm not sure if I quite understand the question. I think it probably has to do with prerequisite stuff, and it was showing how many levels of the given perk had become available. (Personally, I wish all of them would just say 0/5, but once you understand the notation, the method in the video probably is more helpful at a glance.)

I have a Question about the Perksystem.

In the Video MM posted today,

the bottom Perks under Construction went from 0/1 to 0/3 for every 2 Points he put into Strength... Is it because the Game only then counts your Level on how many Points you spent, or are different Perks prerequisit for other higher Level Perks?

Am I missing something? (Could be, just came home from Work)

Thank you so much for making this Game!

The perks are gated by the attribute level you have purchased but not other perks. To purchase the highest level of any perk you will have to have purchased the 10th tier of its governing attribute.

I didn't see this answered, and I'm not sure if I quite understand the question. I think it probably has to do with prerequisite stuff, and it was showing how many levels of the given perk had become available. (Personally, I wish all of them would just say 0/5, but once you understand the notation, the method in the video probably is more helpful at a glance.)

Thank you for giving me a second Chance on my Question!

I was just confused why it suddenly says 0/3 after puttig points into something else. I'd be happy with the Perks saying 0/whatever is max from the start.

I will adapt.

Archived