Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

For quicker crafting does that mean that we still have all four slots to begin with and we can craft multiple items at once? or we have to gain the old system back? (being that it just means we have to invest in queuing items up)

Where are you referencing quicker crafting?

There is a change in the game launcher that allows you to select between Directx 11, Vulkan, or OpenGL. Madmole has mentioned Vulkan support a couple of times over the past year. So far the only support I have seen is that menu option in the launcher. I have no idea if it is hooked up to anything yet. But that is where it is coming from and just like everything else in flux fueled and etched into reality by the hopes of the fans who want it.

Shipping a Vulkan graphics option in the menu that doesn't actually do anything would be a very odd choice and obviously broken options should be removed or disabled. I'm just going off the list that has been provided to us. Regardless, I hope Vulkan makes it through since Unity3D devs, some game devs, and some gamers have confirmed Unity3D's Vulkan renderer is faster than their OpenGL one.

Shipping....

Nothing is being shipped yet. You guys are just getting the next update of the still in development version of 7 Days to Die. They implement parts of features all the time. We had Dukes long before traders. Creating the menu option for it shows they intend to support it. Actually hooking up that support may or may not happen in time for the update. When the game actually ships I agree that having the menu option without the implementation would be weird and they should remove it as you suggest. But for an update in the midst of development its fine. They had a menu option for world building that went nowhere for years....

Meh. I liked the locked slots better.

+1 to A Nice Cup of Tea's comment.

Except when you lose your strength to a debuff and all locked stuff is ejected from your inventory or its locked in and you can't use it... so the new system wins 1000x better.

Thanks MM, That looks cool!!

One question, I saw the bladed weapon perk (Deep Cuts) also mentioned piercing weapons. I hope that means that the perk also affects arrows and their damage?

(Time stamp ~7:50 of the video)

No bows have their own perk tree under perception. I'll be showing new vids frequently covering each attribute.

Just watched the new video. Gotta say, I love the new perk and class system. This brings up many possibilities and game styles to try out. I especially liked the fact that buffs can affect the attributes you buy, thus bringing the potential of having many more diseases that do much more than just drain your stamina/health.

YES! I'm really excited to be reading threads about "whats your favorite character build and why". And the replay ability is awesome too, play a game as an archer knife stealth guy, next time be a heavy armor tank with sledge, specialize in explosives, light armor, sniper, etc.

Perks STAY DOWN and HEAVY METAL is dublicate they effects. So one of this perks is redundant. For clubs, sledgehammer and other weapons one skill is enough, isn't it?

No clubs stun, sledgehammers knockdown. But yeah you wouldn't bother with clubs if you go with heavy metal, and you wouldn't bother with heavy metal if you perk up in clubs. Its a choice to specialize. There are more perks than you'll have perk points so you have real choices and consequences in building a viable character.

YES! I'm really excited to be reading threads about "whats your favorite character build and why". And the replay ability is awesome too, play a game as an archer knife stealth guy, next time be a heavy armor tank with sledge, specialize in explosives, light armor, sniper, etc.

With this in mind. How would one go about Respecing on a multiplayer server? Would that require a willing server operator to manually perform a character wipe for someone that wanted to try a different build in this more specialized build system?

That last video didn't look very smooth and very playable. I expected them to be in better shape this far along. Quick question, when you kill a zombie I noticed the bag doesn't pop up right away to loot. Does this mean you have to keep hitting it until it goes "poof" then the bag will pop up? I really would love if the zombies stayed on the ground a little longer and you could loot each one. If they could optimize the game better they wouldn't have to make such silly compromises. I enjoined looting the bodies after defending my base and clearing out a building. Having a bunch of bags appear just doesn't seem right. imo

Zombies rarely drop loot now.

Thank you for the video! Have a few questions for the dev team:

1. Regarding damaged attributes - Joel stated you'll lose perks temporarily until you fix the problem and then you'll regain those perks. Regaining those perks means we do not have to additionally repurchase them I hope?

2. Does #1 apply to the Pack Mule perk? Let's say my backpack is full and something negatively happens to directly impact that. Will I automatically (or unknowingly) lose slots and then my loot is rolling down a hill?

3. Regarding skillpoints - Is the game progression currently balanced enough to regularly buy some perks? I know we can't get them all, and that's fine, however I'm wondering if it will be a long haul between purchasing them.

Outta the gate I see I'll be starting off with Strength & Construction.

Thanks for your eyeball.

1, no they are automatically regained when the attribute is back in shape.

2, you will just be encumbered, you won't drop loot.

3, We're still balancing stuff but I think its leveling too fast at the moment. But you will be buying perks frequently early game and slower as the game goes on. You get one point every time you level, and all attributes and perks have the same economy: 1 point per perk or attribute.

Well I hope someone mods this as soon as 17 comes out! Did anyone else enjoy that aspect? Sneaking around searching the dead zombies and making sure no zombies or players see you. Roland what was zombie looting back inn July when he said the alpha was almost ready? In the videos he always seem shocked by the bugs like its his first time trying the features.

Good loot comes from quests now. Very few people enjoyed looting 200 dead corpses after a horde. Its good for performance too not having all these decaying zeds that are loot containers, plus no more loot container duplication bug.

There is a change in the game launcher that allows you to select between Directx 11, Vulkan, or OpenGL. Madmole has mentioned Vulkan support a couple of times over the past year. So far the only support I have seen is that menu option in the launcher. I have no idea if it is hooked up to anything yet. But that is where it is coming from and just like everything else in flux fueled and etched into reality by the hopes of the fans who want it.

I did? I don't remember any mention of it so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

1, no they are automatically regained when the attribute is back in shape.

2, you will just be encumbered, you won't drop loot.

3, We're still balancing stuff but I think its leveling too fast at the moment. But you will be buying perks frequently early game and slower as the game goes on. You get one perk every time you level, and all attributes and perks have the same economy: 1 point per perk.

MM ,Regarding perks. Are there plans to make miscellaneous perks not directly related to any attribute that cost more than one point to upgrade?

Example:

Berserk rage:Costs 5 skill points to unlock, press F to use. Increases speed by 100% and halves stamina drain. Triples damage and speed with melee weapons for 20 seconds. Can be used only with full health and stamina and once used damages your total health/stamina by 20 points or something.

Now that I think of it... everything in life can be tied to those attributes.

With this in mind. How would one go about Respecing on a multiplayer server? Would that require a willing server operator to manually perform a character wipe for someone that wanted to try a different build in this more specialized build system?

Delete your profile and start at level 1. Its intended to be a choice with consequences.

The perks are gated by the attribute level you have purchased but not other perks. To purchase the highest level of any perk you will have to have purchased the 10th tier of its governing attribute.

Will the base attributes grant any bonus aside from unlocking perks?

Sorry if this has been answered, but does the main perk like "strength" upskill on its own like it used to while you play, or will you have to sink points into it? New perk system looks amazing btw can't wait to try it out.

There are no grindy skill gates any more. You level up and get points, raise and attribute or buy a perk with the point.

Will the base attributes grant any bonus aside from unlocking perks?

Yes if you watch the video, I explain how adding strength increases melee and block damage with each rank. Each attribute boosts stuff. Fortitude increases health, Agility stamina, etc, I'll do another vid the next 4 days and you'll get all the info.

Yes if you watch the video, I explain how adding strength increases melee and block damage with each rank. Each attribute boosts stuff. Fortitude increases health, Agility stamina, etc, I'll do another vid the next 4 days and you'll get all the info.

Awesome, interested to see how the other attributes work.

The option would also be there to have a package of started points' to create you initial character concept that has higher stats and perks eg. This guy was a police officer etc.

Nothing is being shipped yet. You guys are just getting the next update of the still in development version of 7 Days to Die. They implement parts of features all the time. We had Dukes long before traders. Creating the menu option for it shows they intend to support it. Actually hooking up that support may or may not happen in time for the update. When the game actually ships I agree that having the menu option without the implementation would be weird and they should remove it as you suggest. But for an update in the midst of development its fine. They had a menu option for world building that went nowhere for years....

Yes, and of course I know it's for A17 and not the actual release, but typically TFP do a great job in polishing up each alpha release so I'd think stuff like that might get polished out, either disabled or removed if it's just a broken option that doesn't do anything, but we'll find out once A17 drops! :3

Archived