Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

And since I'm a single player type I am a bit concerned about how I'll be able to effectively be a jack of all trades in the new system.

Last bit from me on this (for now :) ) is that I was mulling over how 7dtd offers many different ways to play. I tend to longer, 100+ hour playthroughs, but part of what keeps them interesting that long is mixing things up. Building a new design for a horde base, then doing a loot run with a pistol instead of a sniper.

This isn't D&D. You can use a knife even if you are a priest :smile-new:, and more to the point a pistol even if you are the sniper guy. Naturally you will miss out on a few fancy features the pistol perks might give you (Fanning? Two-handed? Higher critical at point-blank? One can dream :fat:), but the feel of shooting a pistol still will be there.

If some recipes will have to be bought by perks again, this has to be taken into account by their balancing. Co-op will always be easier in this regard, after all specialization is one incentive of co-op play.

PS: "jack of all trades" continues with ", master of none". ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_of_all_trades,_master_of_none ). I'm sure 7D2D won't be as radical in normal difficulty settings, if they overdo it, nobody will play unmodded single-player.

"A17 will be released when the bugs are fixed"

That means never, because you will never catch all bugs.

Because the last patch was on 26.10.17 (A16.4), i dont't think it will be released this month, but hopefully next.

I guess it has ~B170-180.

Question about Joel's video.

If I put on a jersey or shorts in a winter biome, I’ll freeze more slowly if I’m without them. But if I wear a warm jacket in a hot desert, will I also heat up more slowly than without a jacket? Or in the jacket, I will heat up faster?

If I put on a jersey or shorts in a winter biome, I’ll freeze more slowly if I’m without them. But if I wear a warm jacket in a hot desert, will I also heat up more slowly than without a jacket? Or in the jacket, I will heat up faster?

Yep. From what I saw, going in the nude is objectively the worst option in every scenario.

I would say more slowly, but maybe the jacket doesn't have any heat protection whatsoever so maybe you will be heating up like you were naked and NOT because of said jacket. That's what he meant about "now temperature isn't oscillating as fast". It might appear as less realistic for some, but gameplay wise is simpler and less tedious.

Yep. From what I saw, going in the nude is objectively the worst option in every scenario.

In the winter biome without clothes will be worse, any clothes - good. And in the desert should be worse in warm clothes, it is good to be naked and much better shorts, T-shirt and hat.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say more slowly, but maybe the jacket doesn't have any heat protection whatsoever so maybe you will be heating up like you were naked and NOT because of said jacket. That's what he meant about "now temperature isn't oscillating as fast". It might appear as less realistic for some, but gameplay wise is simpler and less tedious.

It will be already good if in the winter biome the naked character will not heat up)))

Will killing a zombie with weak weapons give the same exp as killing a zombie with strong weapons? For example, would there be any difference between punching a zombie to death, spraying it with SMG bullets from 2m away, or running over it in the 4x4?

Also, I thought Roland may have said small animals would be more common and large less common. Though, especially in brush, they can be incredibly hard to see or approach and far too quick to catch. Has there been any changes that make these smaller creatures a little easier to see and maybe not so fast? Another consideration towards starting characters.

We need traps!

Nobody hunts rabbits with a club... :)

"Inventory split into free and encumbered slots. Items in encumbered slots slow movement. 10/13/18" So does this mean you can use all the inventory slots from the getgo? But if its in one of the slots with the icon it slows you down unless you have the perk to "unlock" those slots so it turns into a normal slot and it doesn't cause the movespeed slowdown anymore?

"Inventory split into free and encumbered slots. Items in encumbered slots slow movement. 10/13/18" So does this mean you can use all the inventory slots from the getgo? But if its in one of the slots with the icon it slows you down unless you have the perk to "unlock" those slots so it turns into a normal slot and it doesn't cause the movespeed slowdown anymore?

That's what I make of it.

Bear in mind some perks aren't even coded in yet so therefore no balancing either. If stuff is too OP we'll have to make some adjustments. Should know soon though Gazz is rolling through the perk trees pretty fast, the new buff and perk framework is so awesome and powerful.

Are they tall with fluffy white leaves? How far along are you with the art on that?

;)

B

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of people are feeling frustrated, unfortunately not everyone knows how to deal with such feelings well.

You've missed some quite epic rants where people swear that they're going to delete the game, wipe their hard drive, hammer nails into their motherboard, burn their house down and ruin TFP with an epic anti-marketing campaign. Usually they just leave a bad review on steam and that's it.

Mk thx. But...thats not really new is it? I might have to look back, musta been something special.

Yes, that's exactly what he showed in the video. He used all the slots then took the perks afterwards to lose the encumbrance effect.

So since I like to gather, ranged, and craft, looks like strength for mining/lumber jack/pack mule (25), perception for bows/rifles (20), and intelligence for crafting (40+). And that's just what little I know. Still seems like other things I'd want to grab from other trees, too. Not much of a melee fighter, so doubt I'd do much there other than skinning? Just need to see all trees. What's max level? I remember hearing 5 skill points (possibly) for finishing intro quests, too. And I'm guessing general quests won't give skill points either now, else it could be "unlimited" which is not intended currently. So still seems like players will be able to go fully what they typically like doing, just none of the rest which are "extras". I rarely rarely ever melee or need to, so I wouldn't "need" to go much strength combat-wise. I rarely use pistols, smgs, etc other than rifles, so wouldn't "need" the other gun perks. It's nice currently being able to, just cause, but not really needed since I don't do it on any kind of regular basis.

Why you need a traps??? You have a shotgun )))

If the game is balanced well, the chance of me getting shotgun right away is slim and I would have to actually survive before I thrive.

I have never struggled for food in 7 days to die. I'd welcome it if it was harder to find food. But to balance it there should be ways that are more time consuming, but allow you to survive even when RNG gives you hard time. Setting up rabbit traps makes sense in 7d2d context. Also, fishing should definitely be added to the game.

Archived