Zombie Texture Replacement

Xtrakicking

hi, you might be able to make your mod compatible with the HDHQ mod. Since the mods use the same file I think that if I use your mod the HDHQ mod will not work properly anymore? Would be great if there was a compatible version. Is that possible ?

Sorry for my Bad English

Greetz

I already did the xpath for all the vanilla zeds, and you can copy that out of the wintermod xml to save you some time. Just replace the bundle and material names with your own.

Xyth - is there any easy way to extract the original zombie textures?

@xtra you no longer need to edit the asset files to change textures, FYI. You can do it all via XML now.

This is new to me. How would one do that?

Currently, every new update changes the id of the textures, which is why a new assets file needs to be created with the imported new textures.

hi, you might be able to make your mod compatible with the HDHQ mod. Since the mods use the same file I think that if I use your mod the HDHQ mod will not work properly anymore? Would be great if there was a compatible version. Is that possible ?

Sorry for my Bad English

Greetz

If that mod also messes with the assets file, then I'm afraid it would be incompatible.

That is, unless that mod doesn't mess with any of the zombie textures, in which case I'd need you to send me the mod's asset file so I could add in the textures of my mod to it and give it back to you.

Currently, every new update changes the id of the textures, which is why a new assets file needs to be created with the imported new textures.

I managed to make a basic zombie texture replacement mod using Xyths code and textures (just for experimenting). I followed Xyths xpath tutorial and used the "replace texture" code from the Wintermod. The files are in the Xyth WinterEntities - entityclasses.xlm has the code - and his textures that go with that code appear to be in the wintermats.unity3d file. (I'm new to modding so correct me if I'm wrong on any of this)

The problem I'm stuck on is I'm not sure how Xyth made the unity3d file which is where the textures are stored, so any tutorials or tips on that would be useful.

If that mod also messes with the assets file, then I'm afraid it would be incompatible.

That is, unless that mod doesn't mess with any of the zombie textures, in which case I'd need you to send me the mod's asset file so I could add in the textures of my mod to it and give it back to you.

Hi,

thanks for your offer, I got it by myself and inserted your textures into the other file. Thanks for your great work.

Basically create .unity3d files of the new textures and refer to them in XML. No .resource file editing necessary.

No updates per new build necessary either.

But then anyone wanting the textures would need both the .unity3d files and the edited xmls to get the mod working, wouldn't they?

But then anyone wanting the textures would need both the .unity3d files and the edited xmls to get the mod working, wouldn't they?

Well, we need the resources file now anyway dont we? And with other mods like the HD Texture pack things become incompatible quickly. With doing it this way as a modlet you never need to reupload the whole resources file, and you never have to redo them. You can always add to them, and include the unity file as part of the modlet. Everything gets auto installed when you run the modlet.

Also this way you can keep vanilla zombies as is, and make variants of all them and have them in as addition to not instead of. And you can recolor them or edit them and never touch a single vanilla file. Your mod will never be broken by any updates.

Well, we need the resources file now anyway dont we? And with other mods like the HD Texture pack things become incompatible quickly. With doing it this way as a modlet you never need to reupload the whole resources file, and you never have to redo them. You can always add to them, and include the unity file as part of the modlet. Everything gets auto installed when you run the modlet.

Also this way you can keep vanilla zombies as is, and make variants of all them and have them in as addition to not instead of. And you can recolor them or edit them and never touch a single vanilla file. Your mod will never be broken by any updates.

Sounds really interesting. Any place I could read more about this process?

Please share that info with Xtrakicking!!! I would love to see this process myself too!

I'm especially interested in this bit. Basically, is it possible to add multiple textures of the same zombie so that each time it spawns it has a random texture applied to it?

I'm especially interested in this bit. Basically, is it possible to add multiple textures of the same zombie so that each time it spawns it has a random texture applied to it?

Randomize it directly, not really. (not that Im aware of, if there is a way)

You can make multiple texture sets of the same zombie + materials, then via the xml you could put all your variations into the group for it to chose from, keeping most of it the same only changing the material line.

Guppy's Discord, you should join us.

Heya, I am trying to "merge" the zombie retextures from this mod into the HD Mod i have installed.

I tried to export the zombie textures into raw data via UABE, then i got the ressources.assets from DUST2DEATHs HD Mod and imported each raw data to each proper id zombie. but comparing before and after screenshots in my test game i see no difference... I am doing this wrong eh ? :o

Heya XtraKicking. Dust2Death asked me to come share how to change zombie skins without altering the assets. It's really very easy, since I know you know most of the steps needed, to get the skins and what not... This is all you should need to know.

How to add new zombie textures:

- In unity set up the texture how you see fit.

- Find the .mat file for the texture you just set up "materials/"

- Use the sdx exporter script to export just the .mat as a .unity3d package

- Add your new texture to a new zombie using this code as an example:

<!-- Angry hockey mom skin -->
<append xpath="/entity_classes">
<entity_class name="khelldonZombieScreamer" extends="zombieScreamer">
   <property name="ReplaceMaterial0" value="#@modfolder:Resources/khelldonZombieSkins.unity3d?AngryHockeyMom"/>
</entity_class>
</append>

If you'd like to know more, don't hesitate to message or if you want, I set up a pack with all the zombies models and textures when i figured this out. I don't feel comfortable sharing those on the forum, but it's pinned on guppy's discord. :-)

Heya XtraKicking. Dust2Death asked me to come share how to change zombie skins without altering the assets. It's really very easy, since I know you know most of the steps needed, to get the skins and what not... This is all you should need to know.

<property name="ReplaceMaterial0" value="#@modfolder:Resources/khelldonZombieSkins.unity3d?AngryHockeyMom"/>
</entity_class>
</append>

If you'd like to know more, don't hesitate to message or if you want, I set up a pack with all the zombies models and textures when i figured this out. I don't feel comfortable sharing those on the forum, but it's pinned on guppy's discord. :-)

WOW THAT'S IT??? Even I can do that! lol

Now as far as random, doesn

t the Sedan do that or use to? with the random colors or is that different or non-existent now?

WOW THAT'S IT??? Even I can do that! lol

Now as far as random, doesn

t the Sedan do that or use to? with the random colors or is that different or non-existent now?

Things like the cars get passed through a HSV shader. Different.

Fallout 4 uses this same technique on their procedurally generated buildings (every one you cant go into), to the point where if you break that mats, then you get mismatched building pieces

</entity_class>
</append>

Ah, so I see the Unity engine actually comes into play? Haven't messed around much with it, surprisingly.

Still, every new update you'd have to point each individual zombie to their corresponding material through XMLs, right? Also, to see more variations on one specific zombie you'd actually have to add in new copies of that zombie with just the different material, wouldn't that end up killing the framerate?

- - - Updated - - -

Heya, I am trying to "merge" the zombie retextures from this mod into the HD Mod i have installed.

I tried to export the zombie textures into raw data via UABE, then i got the ressources.assets from DUST2DEATHs HD Mod and imported each raw data to each proper id zombie. but comparing before and after screenshots in my test game i see no difference... I am doing this wrong eh ? :o

Don't export them in raw data. Export them in .tga files. That should do the trick.

Ah, so I see the Unity engine actually comes into play? Haven't messed around much with it, surprisingly.

Still, every new update you'd have to point each individual zombie to their corresponding material through XMLs, right? Also, to see more variations on one specific zombie you'd actually have to add in new copies of that zombie with just the different material, wouldn't that end up killing the framerate?

Yes you'd have to create xml for each of the new zombies, but it won't be affected by updates. You'd have to do a lot more updates doing it the old way as everytime they changed the resource.asset you'd have to rebuild and reupload. With xpath you wouldn't have to worry about that. I have not noticed any framerate loss by adding new textures. But you could always just rewrite the vanilla zombies using xpath to have your new textures if you think it's a concern, then it wouldn't be adding anything new, just doing the exact same thing you did in the past just without the resource editing. Personally I think adding new zombies with new skins is better, just to preserve the vanilla zombies, but it's up to you really. :-)

Archived