This game is emergency lacking in QoL changes (List)

Posted (edited)

My feedback

• Can't open the whole map in world settings (visitmap doesn't work)
  • Most of iron sights is weird and unlogical
  • Sight does not hide when aiming
  • The scope covers the entire screen with black area like a game from 2003
  • You can't see a damn thing indoors even in the daytime
  • Night/early morning sounds and enemy spawning sound cannot be switched off
  • You cannot select the update level of the unit (instead of a building block to a cobblestone or concrete or metal)
  • You can't take away blocks, or change their shape
  • Many items cannot be removed after placing
  • The lamps are unbalanced and shine like the sun.
  • You can't put a merchant's hours of working in world settings
  • The map does not automatically cognize locations and their names except for merchants
  • When creating labels, you can't hide them from the map so that they are visible only in the list
  • Once a label has been created, you cannot change its name
  • A chainsaw is useless in battle, it doesn't stun any damn enemies.
  • Characters always have the same animation and food item

• Read and unread magazines should be marked with more than just an icon. But also a color
  • Modification journal are not obviously indicated by another icon other than a small book in the corner.
  • The game does not allow you to throw things away except by dragging things outside the inventory border, instead of pressing RMB and the conditional Shift/Ctrl

• If you "trace" the item's crafting, it closes the merchant's active target. And doesn't track more items. For example, I want to craft two pieces of transportation. And to craft it, I have to focus on one part, then track and craft the other. What prevents to make a slideshow where the player can track up to 5 crafts at the same time. At the same time not to close the main goal, again a task from the trader?

• Can't hide difficulty of POI/Biome in settings

• Can't pick up quality of items in creative menu

• Some door frames have strange values to repair

• Spikes hitboxes is janky, same goes with window glass

• Zombies could attack you through door, melee are not able to hit though hole in door

• Fast-healing have unmentioned downsides

• Inventory locking is unintuitive

• The game should have full-fledged settings via GUI which could always be changed in XML files. But now players have to do it manually through a text editor or save the settings in the "mods" folder.

• Many blocks have strange hitboxes when you can't shoot/use melee in the hole so you hit block itself. But in movement they are right
  • Craft menu does not show all the crafts, you have to use the search
  • The electrical system needs a little tweaking
  • The game gives players level 6 items by loot/from a merchant. While items that can be crafted by a player up to Max 5 LVL makes collecting magazines pointless. Since the player may accidentally find a weapon that will be more effective than basic crafting. And will be infinitely repaired regardless of its number of repairs.
  • Vehicles should not be operated while in the water.
  • Mini Bike, Motorcycle, Truck, Gyroplane should not be able to take into inventory after first landing on the ground
  • Plants should not collapse when harvested. Plus a 50% chance of getting seeds reduces progress if you make a large field.

• You can't collect muddy water from the shells
  • Sinks placed by the player cannot be connected to the dew collector, although we have a wrench available.
  • You can't put blocks on the bush that gives the wood. Although grass can be easily jammed. Unlike the other various resources, bushes spawn more often and interfere with construction.
  • The icons in the corner should have different colors for easy resource management

New

• The search filter should have suggested names + ignore misspellings

Innovations to mechanics

• Can't fast-travel from trader to trader
  • Can't skip the night before 4:00 am
  • Can't find maps that opened the main map
  • Getting water was made complicated for some reason, just because.
  • Artificially limited skill tree
  • Awful Learning by Reading
  • The game should kill the last zombie that delays the quest.
  • Add normal 3D sound positioning
  • Can't craft dye, you have to scavenge it from random clothes
  • Stealth is janky and useless in most cases

Feedback from Reddit

• When you hit a zombie and it stumbles toward you. - TheGreatMrHaad
  • The “crouch-run” right when you try to melee them. - Vurt__Konnegut
  • As much as I enjoy the dungeon POIs, it can get annoying when somehow in small family-sized houses that would fit 4 people, every zombie that hides inside closets, above ceiling panels, behind walls they somehow plastered themselves in. And somehow, they will magically know when a human just breathed across the building and know the exact path to get you. - NoIdea4GoodName
  • The 2 steps forward, 2 steps sideways, 2 steps backwards development.

Constantly reworking and removing things that worked, adding features no one asked for, not giving endgame any love, forced looting, the move away from crafting to questing, Fun Pimps trying to turn this into an RPG instead of a survival game. For every quality of life addition there is a sacrifice on gameplay, feature or items. - Karmakiller3003

• Kinda miss the old loot table that wasn’t gamestage based. Really just miss finding good guns in guns safes. Maybe my luck is just rotten. Better off looking for toilet pistols. - Ani-Thighs

• Trigger points. it is @%$# design. it @%$#s on many core gameplay loops & isn't fixable even with dev commands. its 100% what lead to me quitting playing even tho i liked 90% of the updates to that alpha. - TheMinisterOfGaming

• I really hate how prevalent they are and how they make stealth into the ONLY playstyle that you cannot use throughout the whole game. I can be more understanding of why blood moons aren't stealthable, but at least then you can also try going into traps and/or using all the extra ammo and loud guns you pick up just for those nights.

Every other build type can be used to clear every POI. Stealth is basically the only one where the game says "sorry, you have to completely change how you play once you enter that room". Trigger zombies should either be way less common, or actually be effected by stealth to some extent. - Bathroom_Humor

• Zombies need to move around more in Poi's. Them being static until stumbled upon is lame and boring - FAZE_PIRACY

• Locks on doors/switches only being activatible once. Like why can't I used the button again to close a garage door in a POI? Once I have the key to the door why can't I close it again? - ControlRod

• Trying to kill the screaming jumper things with a shotgun, how do they crawl past the shots? and vulture hit box is bit off too. - BeerStop

• The drop rate of seeds when harvesting them. - Axel_Aquarius

• That zombies always know the most efficient way to get you rather than just blindly trying to get to you. i.e. they immediately identify and try to exploit your defenses weak spot - NebulaSpecial3009

• PVP remains broken because cheaters use clipping to locate bases - othergallow

I would like to point out that this section will not be updated. The comments are taken 9 hours after the post was published on reddit. The title of this section is clickable for real-time information.

Edited by Unamelable
add (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Unamelable said:

You cannot select the update level of the unit (instead of a building block to a cobblestone or concrete or metal)

You can craft straight up concrete blocks, from concrete mix; and I think steel blocks as well.

27 minutes ago, Unamelable said:

When creating labels, you can't hide them from the map so that they are visible only in the list

If you click on a map icon, it will hide from compass at least, but not from the map. You may know this, but worth mentioning.

19 minutes ago, theFlu said:

You can craft straight up concrete blocks, from concrete mix; and I think steel blocks as well.

If you click on a map icon, it will hide from compass at least, but not from the map. You may know this, but worth mentioning.

Wow, this solves everything I listed above.

30 minutes ago, Unamelable said:

Wow, this solves everything I listed above.

Welcome to the forums, new guy! I offer help where I can, the rest of that list is between you and TFP ;)

2 hours ago, Unamelable said:
  • You can't put a merchant's hours of working
  • The game does not mark magazines that have already been read
  • The game does not mark magazines gray that have already opened the entire progress thread

I mean, if you want to skip Horde Night that badly, just turn them off.

Not sure what you mean by "Put a merchant's hours of working." They're always open from 6:05 to 21:50. Different traders don't have different open hours.

Magazines and books ARE marked. The little book icon. That's your indicator. Closed book - unread/unfinished. Open book - You're done with that one.

5 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

I mean, if you want to skip Horde Night that badly, just turn them off.

Not sure what you mean by "Put a merchant's hours of working." They're always open from 6:05 to 21:50. Different traders don't have different open hours.

Magazines and books ARE marked. The little book icon. That's your indicator. Closed book - unread/unfinished. Open book - You're done with that one.

I mean when im finishing quest after merchant is closed, its became an issue when you have nothing to do in your base.

Merchant hours of working is about making them work immediately after they closed, we have already text file that do that. So why not add it on world creation screen?

That so intuitive jeez, that i had to type it so people could tell me about it. Idk make different color of icons ffs

3 hours ago, Unamelable said:
  • You cannot select the update level of the unit (instead of a building block to a cobblestone or concrete or metal)
  • The map does not automatically cognize locations and their names except for merchants
  • When creating labels, you can't hide them from the map so that they are visible only in the list
  • The game should kill the last zombie that delays the quest. Or add normal 3D sound positioning
  • Characters cannot craft an industrial generator

• The game does not mark magazines gray that have already opened the entire progress thread
  • Modification journal are not obviously indicated by another icon other than a small book in the corner
  • The game does not allow you to throw things away except by dragging things outside the inventory border, instead of pressing RMB and the conditional Shift/Ctrl
  • Not stopping horde night before 4am is odd, but not exactly much of an issue.  Other than the early horde nights, they usually last the full time anyhow.
  • The issue with sights is something many people complain about, while many others don't care.  It could get changed but probably won't.
  • Water isn't complicated.  It's just different.
  • Skill trees are fine.
  • LBR can use some TLC but isn't going anywhere.
  • I can see fine inside if there are windows, so check your graphics settings.  If there aren't any windows and you don't use a light, then it makes sense that it would be very hard to see.  If it was easy to see without a light source, then there'd be no reason to have torches or helmet light mods in the game.
  • Sound options and other settings have been said would be added as part of the  UI update.  What exactly they'll add is unknown.
  • Some things not being able to be picked up seems intentional, so unlikely to get changed.  If there is something specific you feel really needs to be allowed to pick up after placing it, you should say what it is and why it is necessary to be able to pick it up.  The game isn't a casual building game where you place things and then move them all over the place afterwards and that's not a bad thing.
  • Some lights are bright and some are dim.  I would agree that having the option to adjust the brightness /intensity of lights (as well as color) would be great.  But if they don't offer that, then it's just a matter of using lights that aren't so bright if that bothers you. Lighting has a big impact on FPS and is why POI designers often have pretty strict guidelines for how they do the lights if they care about not lagging out the players, so it's possible they won't allow changing light settings.
  • It would be really bad if the map added labels to every single POI.  Traders are useful because they have value.  Nothing else has any real value to know it on the map.  Quests are marked and you can mark anything you want if there's something you care about.  But what you care about and what others do aren't going to be the same, so the game shouldn't be marking anything other than traders.
  • Changing labels instead of deleting and replacing them would be nice.
  • The game should *not* kill a zombie just so you can complete a quest.  That's not a very good idea.  Quests are easy to complete.  If you're down to only a few zombies, they'll be shown on your compass anyhow.  If you don't want to follow the intended path through a POI, you'll probably miss stuff and spend a long time trying to find the last zombies.  It's better to go through the intended way at least once to learn where the zombies are.  Then you can bash your way through and you'll know where to go to kill the zombies.  The only issue right now is that some buttons don't work and unless you break them so they trigger the zombies, any zombies attached to the button trigger will never spawn.  That's a known issue that I'd assume will be corrected for 1.0.
  • They intentionally made tools weak against zombies and strong against resources.  Otherwise, people would mostly only use things that work both as tool and weapon and ignore everything else so they can save space.
  • Player animations are being updated.  Whether that includes different eating animations for different food items is unknown but it's not really that big of a problem.
  • Why should you need to be allowed to craft an industrial generator?  Lol!
  • Magazines and Books *are* marked when read/completed as was mentioned by someone else.  It just isn't as clear as it could be for new players.  Once you know it's there, it is fine.

22 minutes ago, Riamus said:
  • Not stopping horde night before 4am is odd, but not exactly much of an issue.  Other than the early horde nights, they usually last the full time anyhow.
  • The issue with sights is something many people complain about, while many others don't care.  It could get changed but probably won't.
  • Water isn't complicated.  It's just different.
  • Skill trees are fine.
  • LBR can use some TLC but isn't going anywhere.
  • I can see fine inside if there are windows, so check your graphics settings.  If there aren't any windows and you don't use a light, then it makes sense that it would be very hard to see.  If it was easy to see without a light source, then there'd be no reason to have torches or helmet light mods in the game.
  • Sound options and other settings have been said would be added as part of the  UI update.  What exactly they'll add is unknown.
  • Some things not being able to be picked up seems intentional, so unlikely to get changed.  If there is something specific you feel really needs to be allowed to pick up after placing it, you should say what it is and why it is necessary to be able to pick it up.  The game isn't a casual building game where you place things and then move them all over the place afterwards and that's not a bad thing.
  • Some lights are bright and some are dim.  I would agree that having the option to adjust the brightness /intensity of lights (as well as color) would be great.  But if they don't offer that, then it's just a matter of using lights that aren't so bright if that bothers you. Lighting has a big impact on FPS and is why POI designers often have pretty strict guidelines for how they do the lights if they care about not lagging out the players, so it's possible they won't allow changing light settings.
  • It would be really bad if the map added labels to every single POI.  Traders are useful because they have value.  Nothing else has any real value to know it on the map.  Quests are marked and you can mark anything you want if there's something you care about.  But what you care about and what others do aren't going to be the same, so the game shouldn't be marking anything other than traders.
  • Changing labels instead of deleting and replacing them would be nice.
  • The game should *not* kill a zombie just so you can complete a quest.  That's not a very good idea.  Quests are easy to complete.  If you're down to only a few zombies, they'll be shown on your compass anyhow.  If you don't want to follow the intended path through a POI, you'll probably miss stuff and spend a long time trying to find the last zombies.  It's better to go through the intended way at least once to learn where the zombies are.  Then you can bash your way through and you'll know where to go to kill the zombies.  The only issue right now is that some buttons don't work and unless you break them so they trigger the zombies, any zombies attached to the button trigger will never spawn.  That's a known issue that I'd assume will be corrected for 1.0.
  • They intentionally made tools weak against zombies and strong against resources.  Otherwise, people would mostly only use things that work both as tool and weapon and ignore everything else so they can save space.
  • Player animations are being updated.  Whether that includes different eating animations for different food items is unknown but it's not really that big of a problem.
  • Why should you need to be allowed to craft an industrial generator?  Lol!
  • Magazines and Books *are* marked when read/completed as was mentioned by someone else.  It just isn't as clear as it could be for new players.  Once you know it's there, it is fine.
  • When inside I have multiple windows in my house. I can't see a damn thing. Even at 100% brightness some parts are just ridiculous, making it look like a horrible early game when you don't have a flashlight or flashlight modifier it becomes (Go into the building; Go into graphics settings; Turn brightness to 100%; Go on). Of course I disabled goddamn dimming in the config but seriously, who thought that was a good idea!?

• Don't forget that the developers can add a second category for the urban map so that the player can just know what is where. In fact, the map is useless except for personal markers and task directions. The map menu looks advanced but in fact is less functional
  • If im not care about "intentional" way and i wanna just speedrun whole quest because you do this thing in bagilion time. Tasks with supplies is fair because you have only to pick up them. But later on LVL3-4-5 you have to clear the area that becomes an a pain in the a## when another couple of zombies fall down somethere and you have no idea on what floor is in. That why i wanna hear exact 3D sound where that god damn time consuming piece of rotting pile of garbage located. I have 0 idea why developers didn't make icons of floor locations on zombies because if you seen supply package - it actually can show it. So why it isn't showing zombie height on compass is unknown to me.
  • Chainsaw is still worse than steel axe that does not consume gasoline so what the point of dangerous killing machine if its useless against pile of hordes that coming to you like a snake? Ofc i can use grenades but what the point if i have such an potentially effective melee?
  • Regarding things that can't be lifted, in my opinion you can still lift the block that is on top and not destroy it because you for example missclicked, drawers that don't have the possibility to be lifted, fittings that are also drawers. Ladders and other.
  • I guess they didn't update the animations because my character still eats the same meat even if it's a whole pot, chili dog, or boiled egg.
  • I play single-player save where I have access to up to 300W of house wiring very much both inside and outside (its only lightning). I have to constantly play with switches when I could just put an industrial generator that actually exists in this game. Plus the wiring range is pretty small
  • Again, I wrote to have them designate these icons with different colors so there's no confusion about it. Readed in blue, unread in yellow.

6 hours ago, Unamelable said:

its became an issue when you have nothing to do in your base.

There is a whole lot more to the game than just doing stuff in your base. Find something else to do.

Many items on the list are of arguable value, which make them good Mods. For instance...

9 hours ago, Unamelable said:

Sight does not hide when aiming

... I think this is referring to the targeting reticle that changes its size based on factors like player movement. If so, then there's a mod that does this and I really hated playing on a server that had it. I would beg TFP to please NOT remove the option of having the targeting reticle in favor of only having iron sights. I don't say this because of anyone's perceived quality (or lack there of) of the iron sights -- which could be an issue. I say this because the accuracy indicator role of the targeting reticle is giving me information I would have in real life but cannot experience without actually holding the weapon.

24 minutes ago, Unamelable said:

If you say so, bring it up.

Looting POI's, gathering resources (mining mainly), and so on.   I mean if you have already cranked your brightness up to 100% there is no reason to be afraid of the "dark" because the deadest of night will look like noon with normal brightness. It isn't like you can't play the game at night just like you do during the day with that and the other cheats you're using.

18 minutes ago, zztong said:

Many items on the list are of arguable value, which make them good Mods. For instance...

... I think this is referring to the targeting reticle that changes its size based on factors like player movement. If so, then there's a mod that does this and I really hated playing on a server that had it. I would beg TFP to please NOT remove the option of having the targeting reticle in favor of only having iron sights. I don't say this because of anyone's perceived quality (or lack there of) of the iron sights -- which could be an issue. I say this because the accuracy indicator role of the targeting reticle is giving me information I would have in real life but cannot experience without actually holding the weapon.

IMHO, this should be a toggleable item in the default settings.

Posted (edited)

I do agree that there is a general lack of qol. I woudn't say its as agregious as some games, but it could use some work.

The windows issue happens to me on occasion, it seems to be mostly due to the extreme darkness on the interior of buildings making everything appear dark until one goes outside. This is better/worse in certain pois, but hopefully recieves improvements, as it can be extremely jarring. The darkness in interiors is another aspect they are working on.

Here's a few examples of things I've found:

You can only have one craft item tracked on screen. This also hides any trader quests that may be active. I'm very surprised this wasn't fixed/tweaked quickly after A21.

You can't hide the popups, or the hud elements of the poi/biome difficulty indicators. This will likely only come after the HUD rework, so sadly it seems we'll have to wait for a fairly long time for this.

Drinking water from a water source is unintuitive. I was unable to figure out how to drink, as you have to stand by the water, stand still and stare at it for a few seconds until it prompts you. This waiting period is not explained anywhere in a journal entry, and is just weirdly implemented. You can call me dumb (true), but this should be explained, or more obvious, due to how important it can be earlygame before you find a source of clean water.

You can't select the quality for equipment in the creative menu.

Some door frames remain at 1hp when doors are destroyed, and are repaired with seemingly random materials. This also repairs the door, in some cases taking a very high amount of random materials, like 50 brass to repair a 250hp wooden door, while a standard 1000hp wooden door only takes a small amount of wood. Some doors have this problem, some don't.

Some spike hitboxes can be completely unhittable. I remember going to a survivor site poi surrounded by spikes, and no matter what angle I tried to hit them at, the attacks wouldn't register. This also applies to repairing placed spikes. It can get annoying. The same thing applies for the repair hitbox for window glass.

Doors can now be attacked through, but the hitboxes for these can be iffy, espescially with melee weapons. You could hit through the hole, but damage the door instead.

Some perks such as fast healing have unmentioned or unclear downsides.

The inventory lock system is a bit unintuitive. Better than nothing, but it could be improved drastically.

And finally, stealth can be really janky. I've had trigger zombies spawn directly behind me, as in, nearly touching my player. Funny thing is, this guy didn't notice me, while zombies spawned by me pressing a button while I'm hidding in a dark corner somehow immediately lock on. Not saying you need to be able to stealth everything, but the system can be a bit funny

Edited by User (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Unamelable said:
  • When inside I have multiple windows in my house. I can't see a damn thing. Even at 100% brightness some parts are just ridiculous, making it look like a horrible early game when you don't have a flashlight or flashlight modifier it becomes (Go into the building; Go into graphics settings; Turn brightness to 100%; Go on). Of course I disabled goddamn dimming in the config but seriously, who thought that was a good idea!?

• Don't forget that the developers can add a second category for the urban map so that the player can just know what is where. In fact, the map is useless except for personal markers and task directions. The map menu looks advanced but in fact is less functional
  • If im not care about "intentional" way and i wanna just speedrun whole quest because you do this thing in bagilion time. Tasks with supplies is fair because you have only to pick up them. But later on LVL3-4-5 you have to clear the area that becomes an a pain in the a## when another couple of zombies fall down somethere and you have no idea on what floor is in. That why i wanna hear exact 3D sound where that god damn time consuming piece of rotting pile of garbage located. I have 0 idea why developers didn't make icons of floor locations on zombies because if you seen supply package - it actually can show it. So why it isn't showing zombie height on compass is unknown to me.
  • Chainsaw is still worse than steel axe that does not consume gasoline so what the point of dangerous killing machine if its useless against pile of hordes that coming to you like a snake? Ofc i can use grenades but what the point if i have such an potentially effective melee?
  • Regarding things that can't be lifted, in my opinion you can still lift the block that is on top and not destroy it because you for example missclicked, drawers that don't have the possibility to be lifted, fittings that are also drawers. Ladders and other.
  • I guess they didn't update the animations because my character still eats the same meat even if it's a whole pot, chili dog, or boiled egg.
  • I play single-player save where I have access to up to 300W of house wiring very much both inside and outside (its only lightning). I have to constantly play with switches when I could just put an industrial generator that actually exists in this game. Plus the wiring range is pretty small
  • Again, I wrote to have them designate these icons with different colors so there's no confusion about it. Readed in blue, unread in yellow.
  • As I said, if they made it bright everywhere with no lights, there'd be no reason to use lights.  That's intentional.  There are some lighting/shadow improvements that are being done but the main idea of dark interiors when you have no light is intentional.  Besides, if it's a big problem, you do have a torch when you start.
  • Again, what you want isn't what others want.  Seeing a map that is filled with tons of names of POI would be pointless, imo.  That's something with little enough value that it would be something for a mod, not for vanilla.
  • The compass shows you if the last zombies are above or below you.  Maybe not what floor, but up or down.  That's enough.  The game shouldn't need to hold your hand.  I would agree that some POI could have the number of remaining zombies that trigger the compass display adjusted as some larger POI don't show the remaining zombie locations as soon as I think would make sense.  As far as a speed run goes, if your intention is to speed through a POI and still kill every zombie, then you'll probably be faster by following the intended path.  Breaking through is when you want to skip stuff more than if you want to kill everything faster.  At least in most POI.
  • They don't want the chainsaw to be a weapon of choice.  It's there as a tool and just for fun with zombies but not as a main weapon.  They aren't likely to change that.  However, changing damage on a weapon/tool is very easy if you want to mod it.
  • The only thing I'd say about picking up misplaced blocks is that I think there should be a timer that lets you do so for maybe 5 seconds.  But after that, it shouldn't be possible to pick it back up.  I don't build with steel often because of this... at least, not until I have a weapon that can one-shot a misplaced block to remove it.  But you get far more experience upgrading blocks anyhow, so it isn't a big deal.  Just a pain if you misplace a steel block without a good weapon to break it.
  • Why not just use more than one generator?  I use a ton of lighting, as well as sensors and powered doors, and I don't use switches... ever.

16 hours ago, Unamelable said:
  • The game should kill the last zombie that delays the quest. Or add normal 3D sound positioning

• Modification journal are not obviously indicated by another icon other than a small book in the corner

Thanks for your feedback!

7 hours ago, warmer said:

I sounds like you don't want to be playing this game. Most of your asks are contrary to how the game was designed to be played.

I like the game in many concepts, but many parts of it are unfinished. And the fact that it's been making so much progress since 2013 is sad. I really like its graphics, but its optimization wishes to have better. I like the location progression, but I hate that the last zombie is stuck and dragging my time. I like the flexibility of building, but hate it when I can't find a block or pick up hardware. I love the variability of weapons, and I love the variability of biomes. I'd even like the learning by reading system if I didn't have to find 100 magazines to fully level up, because I can find random quality 6 weapons that kill the idea of leveling completely.

I would say the same thing about Project Zomboid. But this game is going 7 mile steps, and I can criticize it for its semi-working skills or the Build 42 delay that absolutely everyone is expecting. So I went to 7 Days To Die to keep myself busy. And I was half disappointed. But I can't say it's trash either.

Posted (edited)

I think the expectation of the devs is that players will use mods to adjust things to their liking.  If you like most of the game and there are just specific things you would like to be different that not everyone would want, there are probably mods for those things.

If you host a game or someone else does, it is easy to use any mods you want.  If you want to play on servers, then it is a matter of finding one that offers at least most of the mods you want and maybe try to talk them into adding the others.  You can also start your own server for not much money and run any mods you want on it.

As a side note, they are trying to extend the gameplay so people don't reset the game as quickly, so something that will shorten the time to end game such as faster maxing out on skills isn't going to happen.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

They could make chainsaws lose durability significantly faster when attacking zombies but have them actually deal a decent amount of damage to zombies.

or they could make it so they have a jamming mechanic where they get clogged with flesh and it takes several seconds to un-jam them. So they do a lot of damage but randomly get jammed for like 5 or so seconds making them a bit risky to use.

Also, I agree that the gear crafting system is mostly useless since you will receive/find gear that is better than what you can make most of the time. They probably should lower the quality level of the rewards traders offer and they should add unique bonuses that can only be found on gear that you craft. For example you could craft a spear with a built in attack speed bonus. Or a higher chance to dismember a zombie, or knockdown, or knock back, etc.

Edited by Maxley (see edit history)

On 5/5/2024 at 10:03 PM, Unamelable said:

• Read and unread magazines should be marked with more than just an icon. But also a color
  • Modification journal are not obviously indicated by another icon other than a small book in the corner.

• If you "trace" the item's crafting, it closes the merchant's active target. And doesn't track more items. For example, I want to craft two pieces of transportation. And to craft it, I have to focus on one part, then track and craft the other. What prevents to make a slideshow where the player can track up to 5 crafts at the same time. At the same time not to close the main goal, again a task from the trader?

• Can't hide difficulty of POI/Biome in settings

• Can't pick up quality of items in creative menu

• Some door frames have strange values to repair

• Spikes hitboxes is janky, same goes with window glass

• Zombies could attack you through door, melee are not able to hit though hole in door

• Fast-healing have unmentioned downsides

• Inventory locking is unintuitive

• Stealth is janky and useless in most cases.

• Many blocks have strange hitboxes when you can't shoot/use melee in the hole so you hit block itself. But in movement they are right
  • Craft menu does not show all the crafts, you have to use the search
  • The electrical system needs a little tweaking
  • The game gives players level 6 items by loot/from a merchant. While items that can be crafted by a player up to Max 5 LVL makes collecting magazines pointless. Since the player may accidentally find a weapon that will be more effective than basic crafting. And will be infinitely repaired regardless of its number of repairs.

Been on the forums for awhile, ill bite and try to be as truthful/unbiased as i can about what i think the answers/reasons are. And i believe from other posts ypu have sent, you are wanting to keep it "vanilla no mods" for answers. Some questions/complaints i dont understand so ill leave them out.

- cant skip the night before 4 AM: sleeping and other things have been talked about and nixed. I believe the game is supposed to be about "time management" but also "making you sit there waiting is a thing if you have nothing to do" as a way to have you plan specific nighttime tasks... or get bored and venture outside when its more dangerous. But yeah "skipping time" is not a planned thing.

- iron sights weird: lots of complaints about this, for those that notice it

- cannot fast travel between traders: this has been sort of hinted at being a possibility, i believe. The new helipads at the  traders may be part of it.

- aight does not hide while aiming: people have complained. No plans to change i know of

- getting water was made complicated: personally i wish it were harder to get, but yeah they felt it was too easy before. Lots of posts about the reasons. The change seems to have made a 50/50 split of forum users hating/liking it.

- awful learning by reading: the "learning by doing" was nixed a long time ago, for several reasons. The reading i feel is to make the progression slower. Lots of love/hate for it, but its extended my "early game" by a lot of days.

- cant see a damn thing indoors: the vanilla game settings isn't very dark, but yeah they dont want you having great indoor/outdoor visibility. I believe this is why the night vision goggles are still in the game. 
- cant select the update level of the unit: yeah, and i cannot see this changing as in the game there is only 1 block upgrade and downgrade path. So its hardcoded to be block A upgrades to block B i believe. The "fix" for this (kinda) are the recipes to just craft the block you want vs upgrading. Of course that assumes you are building vs upgrading an existing building.

- cant take away blocks or change their shape: i believe they want you to be "time management punished" for having to build/destroy so if you don't plan ahead (for a horde) suffer more. You shouldn't be able to jump in a building and reinforce/rebuild super fast. You should plan ahead days/hours before horde nights. This is also probably why picking things up (like the forge, workbench) have timers: you cannot go fast when there is a time crunch, actions have some consequences.

- lamps are too bright: yeah i agree the lighting is weird. Many people have wished to be able to change the lighting. 
- cant put merchants hours of working: i think because merchants area is indestructible/safe, they don't want you hiding put there at night.

- read and unread magazine color: yeah, tons of people complaining about this. It wouldn't surprise me if this is fixed when they do the UI update (which i heard was planned). This also applies to several UI / map things you said: valid concerns/complaints about labels and such, but they haven't messed with the UI in a long time.

- game does not allow you to throw things away...: there is a "drop" on most things? Like the "d" button when the item is selected? Anyway: if its not always there: some of the buttons/actions for items in inventory (drop/wear/scrap/eat?) are different for some items. If this is not a "we will fix it with ui update/final polish" i feel its on purpose to mess with you. Like the "oops i ate glass" issue has been around for awhile and i feel kinda left there on purpose to make you pay attention and also to trip everyone up a few times for ha ha factor. The game is quirky like that, and im not sure if its on purpose or not "for funsies"

- cant craft dye: yeah that is weird.it does make you work a lot harder to get all the colors you want, like finding a color is a little present. Scavenging from clothes IS weird. Its possible they havent changed it because its part of the "character armor updates" 

- spike hitboxes is janky...: i have seen several posts about janky hotboxes, and the fix for it is to olen a bug report anout it. The devs seem to eventually get to fixing the hitbox if they agree. The spikes are bery... full of holes so maybe its more performant (less triangles?) to not have the hitboxes be more perfect for these. BecUse players can put down hundreds of these blocks

- zombies can attack through door: yeah, i feel this is an issue because of the voxels, and i feel they aren't going to fix it... but maybe they will?

- stealth is janky and useless: lots of complaints. Not sure of any status but they seem to eventually get around to fixing stuff like this in some manner.

- electrical system issues: yeah, its weird. But my best guess is that they have built it to be "easy/low overhead to calculate electrical loads and stuff to get some electrical goijg", so we get the oddities we see. in the old console versions i believe electrical was nerfed, and in online games they seems to often have rules about electrical/solar usage because of the computational load it puts on the game. For whatever reason its in the state its in. I haven't heard of any plans to change/update it.

long story short: i can never tell what quirks are "on purpose" or "ha ha we like it this way" or "its  functional enough for now". Obviously we have to wait for gold, but its always good to post annoyances so hopefully the devs will add it to their list. But 7 days is (imho) its own beast and not run by a normal game studio catering to the standard demographics, so they kinda do whatever they want. The "rule" TFP seems to have is "fun is priority over realism or other things" but: fun for whom? TFP ultimately gets that decision and sometimes i think they like "fun" to be "you get some punishment because the fun is in the struggle or surprise elements". But they are also working on a voxel based game (with stability calculations) and many times i have read this is a limitation to the game that they have to work around. So i feel a lot of QOL have been "neglected" until the end as they consider that "polish but if left put oh well".

additionally: i also feel that, because they allow modding to be done so easily, they are less focused on all the "little things" and just figure modders will fix them if its annoying enough to enough people. Like the "unintuitive inventory locking": they had to make a choice (locked or unlocked) and they figure the community will "fix" it with mods of they disagree with the defaults as likely there is no right way that pleases everyone.

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

Been on the forums for awhile, ill bite and try to be as truthful/unbiased as i can about what i think the answers/reasons are. And i believe from other posts ypu have sent, you are wanting to keep it "vanilla no mods" for answers. Some questions/complaints i dont understand so ill leave them out.

- cant skip the night before 4 AM: sleeping and other things have been talked about and nixed. I believe the game is supposed to be about "time management" but also "making you sit there waiting is a thing if you have nothing to do" as a way to have you plan specific nighttime tasks... or get bored and venture outside when its more dangerous. But yeah "skipping time" is not a planned thing.

- iron sights weird: lots of complaints about this, for those that notice it

- cannot fast travel between traders: this has been sort of hinted at being a possibility, i believe. The new helipads at the  traders may be part of it.

- aight does not hide while aiming: people have complained. No plans to change i know of

- getting water was made complicated: personally i wish it were harder to get, but yeah they felt it was too easy before. Lots of posts about the reasons. The change seems to have made a 50/50 split of forum users hating/liking it.

- awful learning by reading: the "learning by doing" was nixed a long time ago, for several reasons. The reading i feel is to make the progression slower. Lots of love/hate for it, but its extended my "early game" by a lot of days.

- cant see a damn thing indoors: the vanilla game settings isn't very dark, but yeah they dont want you having great indoor/outdoor visibility. I believe this is why the night vision goggles are still in the game. 
- cant select the update level of the unit: yeah, and i cannot see this changing as in the game there is only 1 block upgrade and downgrade path. So its hardcoded to be block A upgrades to block B i believe. The "fix" for this (kinda) are the recipes to just craft the block you want vs upgrading. Of course that assumes you are building vs upgrading an existing building.

- cant take away blocks or change their shape: i believe they want you to be "time management punished" for having to build/destroy so if you don't plan ahead (for a horde) suffer more. You shouldn't be able to jump in a building and reinforce/rebuild super fast. You should plan ahead days/hours before horde nights. This is also probably why picking things up (like the forge, workbench) have timers: you cannot go fast when there is a time crunch, actions have some consequences.

- lamps are too bright: yeah i agree the lighting is weird. Many people have wished to be able to change the lighting. 
- cant put merchants hours of working: i think because merchants area is indestructible/safe, they don't want you hiding put there at night.

- read and unread magazine color: yeah, tons of people complaining about this. It wouldn't surprise me if this is fixed when they do the UI update (which i heard was planned). This also applies to several UI / map things you said: valid concerns/complaints about labels and such, but they haven't messed with the UI in a long time.

- game does not allow you to throw things away...: there is a "drop" on most things? Like the "d" button when the item is selected? Anyway: if its not always there: some of the buttons/actions for items in inventory (drop/wear/scrap/eat?) are different for some items. If this is not a "we will fix it with ui update/final polish" i feel its on purpose to mess with you. Like the "oops i ate glass" issue has been around for awhile and i feel kinda left there on purpose to make you pay attention and also to trip everyone up a few times for ha ha factor. The game is quirky like that, and im not sure if its on purpose or not "for funsies"

- cant craft dye: yeah that is weird.it does make you work a lot harder to get all the colors you want, like finding a color is a little present. Scavenging from clothes IS weird. Its possible they havent changed it because its part of the "character armor updates" 

- spike hitboxes is janky...: i have seen several posts about janky hotboxes, and the fix for it is to olen a bug report anout it. The devs seem to eventually get to fixing the hitbox if they agree. The spikes are bery... full of holes so maybe its more performant (less triangles?) to not have the hitboxes be more perfect for these. BecUse players can put down hundreds of these blocks

- zombies can attack through door: yeah, i feel this is an issue because of the voxels, and i feel they aren't going to fix it... but maybe they will?

- stealth is janky and useless: lots of complaints. Not sure of any status but they seem to eventually get around to fixing stuff like this in some manner.

- electrical system issues: yeah, its weird. But my best guess is that they have built it to be "easy/low overhead to calculate electrical loads and stuff to get some electrical goijg", so we get the oddities we see. in the old console versions i believe electrical was nerfed, and in online games they seems to often have rules about electrical/solar usage because of the computational load it puts on the game. For whatever reason its in the state its in. I haven't heard of any plans to change/update it.

long story short: i can never tell what quirks are "on purpose" or "ha ha we like it this way" or "its  functional enough for now". Obviously we have to wait for gold, but its always good to post annoyances so hopefully the devs will add it to their list. But 7 days is (imho) its own beast and not run by a normal game studio catering to the standard demographics, so they kinda do whatever they want. The "rule" TFP seems to have is "fun is priority over realism or other things" but: fun for whom? TFP ultimately gets that decision and sometimes i think they like "fun" to be "you get some punishment because the fun is in the struggle or surprise elements". But they are also working on a voxel based game (with stability calculations) and many times i have read this is a limitation to the game that they have to work around. So i feel a lot of QOL have been "neglected" until the end as they consider that "polish but if left put oh well".

additionally: i also feel that, because they allow modding to be done so easily, they are less focused on all the "little things" and just figure modders will fix them if its annoying enough to enough people. Like the "unintuitive inventory locking": they had to make a choice (locked or unlocked) and they figure the community will "fix" it with mods of they disagree with the defaults as likely there is no right way that pleases everyone.

Such a W for community to just saying to mod the game instead of fixing problems. Its not a freaking panacea people

1 hour ago, Unamelable said:

Such a W for community to just saying to mod the game instead of fixing problems. Its not a freaking panacea people

Yes its a broad brush response at times, but when the request is for changes related to personal preference in niche applications, vice integral game play mechanics its appropriate.

Exactly.  Just because one person likes something doesn't mean everyone else does.  Because this game combines many genres, you are going to see a very wide ranging view of where this game should go.  The easy ability to mod this game makes it a great option for people who want to play they have "their way" instead of the way the devs designed it. 

If there is a mechanic or preference that seems very popular, then it would be something the devs might consider.  But if it is niche or controversial or something they aren't interested in, you are going to look to mods.  If that isn't something you want to do, then you either need to accept the game the way the devs choose to design it or move onto a game more suited to your tastes.

We are also far too close to gold to expect any significant changes to the game beyond what is already on their list.  Maybe some ideas will be considered for after gold.  And I don't mean 1.0 because that apparently isn't gold to them and is just to appease Sony or Microsoft.