Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

17 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

Trader quests use to change when a new day dawn, so if you didnt like the selection, you could choose different ones the next day. that is no longer the case. have had the same quests 3 days in a row.

That's odd.  I see new ones each day.  At least it seems like it since I don't really look that closely at what's there.  But it seems like different ones.  If it's not working, just take all of the ones you don't want to do and cancel them.  Then the next day, they have to be new since they aren't there anymore.  That, and file a bug report.

doing my challenges, one of them requires a bone knife, I quickly switch to craft one, my legendary part poofs 😄

I didn't think there, but it defaulting to highest tier available means you consume legendary parts when crafting a stone tool or bone knife, or even making a hammer to use as component for the workbench. I'm absolutely in favor of defaulting to the best quality, so I wonder if it could just be changed so not all tools/weapons use the same component, or maybe the very low tier doesn't require a special part at all.

EDIT: workbench doesn't take claw hammer as component in this version, so thats one less case. My bad.

Edited by danielspoa (see edit history)

Hi, so I created an account here on the forums just to give feedback on the armor sets for 1.0. Since we're still far from the stable release on July, I figured there should be a lot of time for a rebalance.

I find that a few armor piece benefits are too unbalanced for early game. A good example for this is the Rogue head piece which gives a 2/4/6/8/10/20% increase to loot stage. The problem with the tier 1 benefit is that 2% is useless early game to mid-game. To even get a boost at 2%, you'd need to be at level 50 (50 x 0.02 = 1, so a total of 50 + 1 = 51 loot stage). This essentially makes the early tiers useless.

My suggestion is that for the early tier levels, a flat loot stage bonus will be used instead, something like:

Tier 1: +3 loot stage (no percentage)

Tier 2: +5 loot stage (no percentage)

Tier 3: +10 loot stage (and 5% loot stage bonus)

Tier 4: +15 loot stage (and 7% loot stage bonus)

Tier 5: +20 loot stage (and 10% loot stage bonus)

Tier 6: +25 loot stage (and 15% loot stage bonus)

I think this scales well with player progression, the moment they reach tier 3, they should already be at a level where the percentage boost would yield an increase in loot stage.

There are also other armor set bonuses that don't make sense, for example the Raider set bonus is Crit Injury Resistance at 45%. Sounds nice but the Enforcer chest piece literally gives the same Crit Injury Resistance (but at 40%). My suggestion would be to remove the Crit Heal from the chest piece and move the Crit Injury Resistance there just like the Enforcer set. Faster Crit Heal isn't really useful anyway when you have Crit Resistance from the chest plus from food/med buffs. The set bonus should be something like Grandpa's Moonshine no longer giving blurry vision. For a set meant to be the end game melee build, I feel like not removing Grandpa's Moonshine blurry effect is wasted potential (the item itself is already expensive to buy on traders plus very tedious to craft requiring max Cooking skill books and materials are not renewable, why punish players for a late game craftable item?)

The Lumberjack boots stamina regen is kinda pointless too since it only works when running. Why not replace it with something like Increased Honey drop rate from harvesting trees 1/2/3/4/5/10% chance? A player that wears the lumberjack set won't be spending time running around too much so I think this was wasted potential. That on top of the book that gives increased honey drop rate (5% only) would stack it to 15%. 5% was very low anyways, averaging about 1 honey for 20 trees cut. Plus we need something more reliable to honey drop rates since a lot of the Grandpa recipes at the end of the Cooking skill books require honey to craft. Traders don't always sell them and they are rare in tree stumps (not to mention tree stumps spawn so little and only in the forest/snow biomes). The Farmer boots already provide Seed Harvest chance so we can do that for the Lumberjack too.

Other minor nitpicks:

• Scavenger head piece XP bonus is too little. Salvaging already provides meager XP plus in the early game, you'd be salvaging at most with a stone axe or wrench and it would take forever to salvage stuff. Probably something like 20/40/60/80/100/200. Increasing the XP to 3x the normal amount isn't really something big compared to mining late game or going at a Tier 5 POI so I don't see how this is an issue.
  • Preacher arms are too overpowered at 10/20/30/40/50/60% increased damage to zombies when majority of the enemies in game... are zombies. I know it will become relevant when Bandits will be added since those aren't categorized as zombies. The biggest threat right now are cougars and normal bears but you won't normally meet them in quests or horde nights. This effectively makes other damage bonuses obsolete like the melee/ranged damage bonuses. My suggestion would be to cut the bonus to half at 5/10/15/20/25/30% while keeping the other armor pieces the same.
  • The Rogue armor set bonus at max 30% more cash/dukes is way too little. You rarely ever find dukes in loot crates anyways, and even if you do find them, they are a small amount. The ATMs on average are like 500 cash, at 30% more, that is... 650. An armor set bonus for 150 more cash on an ATM that you rarely find on POIs... Maybe boost it to something like 30/60/90/120/150/300%? At 300% more, 500 then becomes 2000 cash which would make wearing the full armor set useful.
  • Miner and Nerd armor set bonus are pretty much useless. At max tier for 35% less tool degradation is too little for wearing the whole set. All this just to save 1 repair kit which costs like 1 mechanical part and 1 duct tape, resources that are really easy to acquire. I think this should be changed. The miner should be increased drop rates for silver/gold/diamond or make it so tools don't degrade at all. The Nerd set I can't think of anything else but it needs to be changed since it overlaps with the current Miner bonus.
  • Specific weapon damage boosts like Farmer arms (rifle damage), Ranger arms (revolver/lever damage), Nerd arms (baton damage), Enforcer set bonus (.44 damage and reload),and Nomad arms (radiated damage) should be buffed more since they are niche and overlap with the Raider arms (melee damage) and Commando arms (ranged damage). The Raider and Commando arms basically make the other arms obsolete. Plus the Farmer arms only max out at 20% for rifles while the Commando arms max out at 60% AND cover all ranged weapons. Too unbalanced if you ask me. Maybe something like 15/30/45/60/75/100%?
  • The Enforcer head piece obsoletes the other barter head pieces since it covers all items and both buy and sell. Everyone playing on a server keeps it always.
  • Assassin Tier 6 bonus is only a 10% boost to sneak damage at 10/20/30/40/50/60%. Why not just double it to 100% just like other benefits? The Hidden Strike perk already gives in increments of 50% plus the sneak candy on the vending machine also gives 50%. When zombies target you, you lose the stealth damage bonus anyway so I don't really see a point in trying to limit the damage bonus.
  • The Farmer set bonus at 40% more health from food is kind of pointless since it's not like you'll be short on food. Maybe make it double health AND have food buffs last twice as long to make it stack with Iron Gut in the Fortitude tree.

@faatal Hopefully this isn't coming off too critical. I just think a lot of the armor pieces need a rebalance or a change in perk.

There's a lot of wasted potential on the benefits for the armor pieces. The dev team could review the perks in the skill trees and perk books and try to see if they can be used on the armor pieces instead to make them stackable.

Edited by mouldy
Formatting fixes (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, danielspoa said:

doing my challenges, one of them requires a bone knife, I quickly switch to craft one, my legendary part poofs 😄

I didn't think there, but it defaulting to highest tier available means you consume legendary parts when crafting a stone tool or bone knife, or even making a hammer to use as component for the workbench. I'm absolutely in favor of defaulting to the best quality, so I wonder if it could just be changed so not all tools/weapons use the same component, or maybe the very low tier doesn't require a special part at all.

Probably best to just have it ask if you want to use a legendary part.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

The biggest issue here is how broken it makes things.  For Navesgane or even Pregen, that's one thing.  But when people play RWG, they're looking for a random experience.  The same for all the people who make or use custom maps, like DC.  This should either be optional in the game settings for the map or it should have fallback handlers for when something isn't set up exactly they way you "want".  For example, if it's set to go from Rekt in forest to Jen in burnt and Jen isn't in burnt, it will see that there isn't a Jen in burnt to go to, so will either send you to a different trader in burnt or to Jen in another biome (depending which you prefer).  If there's no burnt at all, it will send you to Jen in another biome.  If there's no Jen, it will send you to a different trader in burnt.  If no Jen or burnt, it will send you to a different trader in some other biome.  This prevents things from breaking regardless of the map and really should be done, imo.  Especially if you're going to tie more things to a specific progression.

Or just have that be an option like I said, where it works the new way when enabled or the old way when disabled.  Disabled and also disable the story if you feel that would be better.  After all, no story will be good enough for people to want to do dozens of times the way they play the game dozens of times.  So having an option to disable the story once you've done in a few times would probably be good anyhow.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this new setup except that it can't be disabled.  Just look at my first RWG game.  I had to travel 4km on a bike on day 3, through the wasteland, to get to Jen and then travel that far back because RWG set up the map that way.  That's not a good thing.  I could do it, even if I didn't enjoy the long ride, because I have played the game a long time.  But a new player is going to die, probably repeatedly, trying to do that.  That's a great way to lose players.

Did you change the map defaults?  There should be a higher chance of shorter distances from Rekt to Jen with the default map settings.  I was talking to Faatal about random gen and he may have found another improvement to further ensure a shorter travel distance from Rekt to Jen on default settings based on map size.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Hey, loving v1.0 so far, I was on always on the fence about the armor, but actually really like it, the balance of things does seem a lot better too.  Could probably still be slowed down a little though, I did craft a tier 6 melee item (stun baton) by day 18 in my current play through, and I have grabbed a couple decent guns from the wasteland too although mid tier but then again I did have to go there to get them.  Not sure day 70 would really be end game but it's definitely slower than before.

Main reason for my post, is really for some QOL additions if possible:

1. Could we possibly add a tab to the area where the item description is in the crafting window to show the stats of what you'd be crafting?  I've noticed I'm doing this a lot, and I've seen youtubers doing it too whereby we'd use the CM command so we can press 'U' and try to find the stats of items we'd be crafting.  I don't feel this is a cheat but gives the player more info to decide if they'd want to craft an item or not.  It should be in the main game not through a creative menu.

2. Another QOL thing I'd love to see is wireless crafting, maybe even as part of the upgrade system in the storage, there's so many items in the game that I just feel this would be a really nice thing to have.  Although if only one of these two things could be added I'd rather the first one so we can see the item stats.

3. Lockable inventory slots for vehicles and the drone would be amazing!

Edited by icehot (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Did you change the map defaults?  There should be a higher chance of shorter distances from Rekt to Jen with the default map settings.  I was talking to Faatal about random gen and he may have found another improvement to further ensure a shorter travel distance from Rekt to Jen on default settings based on map size.

I used the Circle option with many town, many rivers, many lakes, IIRC.  Here's the biome layout that was generated.  As you can see, the route to burnt isn't great and requires going through one or the other of the 2 highest difficulty biomes.  As a side note, the next route to Bob was 3.4km from Jen.  So 4km then 3.4km.  Not ideal at all.

image.thumb.png.c7ee6b94f94667576be5c49d3722ec45.png

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I used the Circle option with many town, many rivers, many lakes, IIRC.  Here's the biome layout that was generated.  As you can see, the route to burnt isn't great and requires going through one or the other of the 2 highest difficulty biomes.  As a side note, the next route to Bob was 3.4km from Jen.  So 4km then 3.4km.  Not ideal at all.

image.thumb.png.c7ee6b94f94667576be5c49d3722ec45.png

Yeah that is a harder map type for sure.  The default forest in the middle map is the ideal one for new players.

11 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Yeah that is a harder map type for sure.  The default forest in the middle map is the ideal one for new players.

Yeah, and as far as RWG goes, it's probably the only good one even for veterans if you like have a forest base for aesthetics so you can reach other biomes without a huge trek.  Which is very unfortunate because it means no real variety in your biomes if you want that.  I can't even begin to imagine the new Lines biome layout with this forced restriction on trader progression.  I mean, if you're going to force this on us, why offer a biome layout that would have you spending a TON of time going from biome to biome?  I mean, if forest is on one side of the map and burnt is on the other, you have to travel the width of the map through all other biomes just to go to the second trader that the progression wants you to use.  Unless maybe the Lines layout puts biomes in the "correct" order.  But if it does, that means you can't have a forest base and do stuff in the wasteland unless you want to do a ton of traveling.  This just isn't a great system.  I really hope it becomes optional.

31 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, and as far as RWG goes, it's probably the only good one even for veterans if you like have a forest base for aesthetics so you can reach other biomes without a huge trek.  Which is very unfortunate because it means no real variety in your biomes if you want that.  I can't even begin to imagine the new Lines biome layout with this forced restriction on trader progression.  I mean, if you're going to force this on us, why offer a biome layout that would have you spending a TON of time going from biome to biome?  I mean, if forest is on one side of the map and burnt is on the other, you have to travel the width of the map through all other biomes just to go to the second trader that the progression wants you to use.  Unless maybe the Lines layout puts biomes in the "correct" order.  But if it does, that means you can't have a forest base and do stuff in the wasteland unless you want to do a ton of traveling.  This just isn't a great system.  I really hope it becomes optional.

In that scenario, which is terrible, I would recommend doing 9 T2 jobs plus 1 T1 for Rekt, head all the way over to Jen and complete one T1 job, and continue from there. That's the strategy I had to use when I realized the burnt biome was on the opposite side of the map from my spawn town, about 4.5 km away.

5 hours ago, Riamus said:

That's odd.  I see new ones each day.  At least it seems like it since I don't really look that closely at what's there.  But it seems like different ones.  If it's not working, just take all of the ones you don't want to do and cancel them.  Then the next day, they have to be new since they aren't there anymore.  That, and file a bug report.

its only happens if you dont pick up a quest, which happened because I didnt want any of the 4 infested and 1 fetch/clear at 1.4 km

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

In that scenario, which is terrible, I would recommend doing 9 T2 jobs plus 1 T1 for Rekt, head all the way over to Jen and complete one T1 job, and continue from there. That's the strategy I had to use when I realized the burnt biome was on the opposite side of the map from my spawn town, about 4.5 km away.

Yeah, it basically forces you to either do quests in each biome or else do a back and forth each time you need to open trade routes.  Or just ignore open trade routes entirely, which might be the better option.  Those aren't required to complete and their reward is minor anyhow.

4 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

its only happens if you dont pick up a quest, which happened because I didnt want any of the 4 infested and 1 fetch/clear at 1.4 km

That sounds like a bug then.  If they don't reset when all 5 quests are there but do reset if any quest is removed, then that doesn't sound intentional.  Might be worth reporting.

I think I ecountered a bug of random death.

I killed a cougar with a crossbow and then a lumberjack that came eating the cougar. Then I harvested the cougar and continued to walk up the hill when all of a sudden the death animation played. I was full-health (or at least very close to full). There was no other NPCs that I could see or hear and I had no debuffs of any kind.

I spawned near my backpack and got my things but I haven't a slightest clue what caused the death...

5 minutes ago, toores said:

I think I ecountered a bug of random death.

I killed a cougar with a crossbow and then a lumberjack that came eating the cougar. Then I harvested the cougar and continued to walk up the hill when all of a sudden the death animation played. I was full-health (or at least very close to full). There was no other NPCs that I could see or hear and I had no debuffs of any kind.

I spawned near my backpack and got my things but I haven't a slightest clue what caused the death...

Take a look at the log and see if it shows anything.  You could also report it as a bug and see if anyone can sort it out.

8 hours ago, Riamus said:

I will check if this is a bug.  In the line layout, the biomes are set in the correct progression order.  I don't see why this would be intentionally different for circle.