Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

2 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

Would it be picky if I was to ask if we could simply be able to close doors and hatches again once they get unlocked.

20240907203209-1.jpg

It has an annoying illogical element of function or in this case the lack of function a hinged door simply not closing again..  

Some actually can be (ones on buttons), so I don't see any reason others can't do that as well.

7 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

Would it be picky if I was to ask if we could simply be able to close doors and hatches again once they get unlocked.

It is an option on the key rack or switch to unlock the door when it opens it. Personally, I always turn that on as I think a door locked open is kind of... unusual.

With the voxel world of blocks physics I assume is always being calculated and processed on the fly right ?

20240909225224-1.jpg

Why is some blocks, ie this torch above still able to float in mid air even though its not connected with any block 360 around its own axis ?

Or is it just an engine bug... 

With the voxel world of blocks physics I assume is always being calculated and processed on the fly right ?

20240909225224-1.jpg

Why is some blocks, ie this torch above still able to float in mid air even though its not connected with any block 360 around its own axis ?

It is hard to tell in that image.  Is the light close to the wall?  The light does not take up a full block, so it can appear to float while still technically attached to wall or ceiling, though the ceiling is definitely too high for that in that image.  I just can't tell from the wall.  There are occasional issues where stuff doesn't fall and that has been known for a long time, though it's usually related to a collapse of many blocks (like a building).  But it is normal that things that don't visually connect to a wall or ceiling can still be supported by them if they block that they are part of connects (even if it's just air).  There is the option to remove the "glue" on a side of an item like that light so it can't attach to a wall or ceiling surface since it's not visually touching those, but they don't do that too much because it greatly limits what you can do.

20240909225224-1.jpg

Essentially every block in the game is the size of the standard cube block (or multiples of the cube for bigger single shapes). You just can't see the bounds of all smaller blocks, such as that light. The bounds of that light is flush with the wall which is why it's floating.

And there are some blocks that allow themselves to intersect with other blocks, such as the edge of window frames. 

On 9/8/2024 at 10:32 AM, Jay_ombie said:

20240907203209-1.jpg

It has an annoying illogical element of function or in this case the lack of function a hinged door simply not closing again..  

It's very likely that things that get locked open is made like that on purpose. It's so you can't prevent enemies from getting to you most of the time. 

It's also not an unrealistic notion. Hinges get rusty or damaged. Doors get misaligned causing them to get stuck open.

16 hours ago, Riamus said:

It is hard to tell in that image.  Is the light close to the wall? 

Thats the puzzling thing as its well away from the wall, well I thought so at the time...

Hey ho, its the quirk of the system I guess....

1 hour ago, Jay_ombie said:

Thats the puzzling thing as its well away from the wall, well I thought so at the time...

Hey ho, its the quirk of the system I guess....

For me it looks very much like the next block from the wall. And that means it will have support from the wall.

It could be even farther away if the wall block were a half block with its empty half in the direction of the lamp.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

The floor could me made of half blocks?

Possible, but it is unlikely the light was just sitting in the air like that and was probably on a box, which was likely a full block.  But not necessarily.

On 9/8/2024 at 8:21 AM, Immhotep said:

Have the controller issues been fixed yet? Gave up on game cos of them and I miss it.

i use the controller and find it playable. just.

for me, when out and about and combat is fine. its just in the menus it is still a bit janky

but then again my first video game was moria from berkley university, so my expectations arent that high.

btw, anyone who knows how i can get that will get a like for sure. and not rogue, that sucked

Edited by NukemDed
double post, half brain cells (see edit history)

On 9/10/2024 at 10:58 PM, NukemDed said:

i use the controller and find it playable. just.

for me, when out and about and combat is fine. its just in the menus it is still a bit janky

but then again my first video game was moria from berkley university, so my expectations arent that high.

The one I always go back to is Angband.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

On 9/7/2024 at 4:47 PM, Jost Amman said:

That's normal. It's balanced by the fact that you can slot-in more mods in the purple.

But I agree they should make it a little less DP (I created a new word "Down-Powered" :nerd:).

Not to get gross (don't wanna get yelled at by Roland) but you might wanna be careful with saying some is DP'd......I assure you this is already a "thing" 😂

57 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Not to get gross (don't wanna get yelled at by Roland) but you might wanna be careful with saying some is DP'd......I assure you this is already a "thing" 😂

I'm sure @SnowDog1942 could explain that to you, if you need a clearer picture. 😂

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Mainly because it has a graphical overlay rather than being text. 

Yeah there was some tile set modification thingy I had to do. I like the goofy little pics too :)

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

16 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

15 hours ago, outhous said:

I'm sure @SnowDog1942 could explain that to you, if you need a clearer picture. 😂

And here that I thought that @SnowDog1942 was the only forum perv... :heh:

6 minutes ago, beerfly said:

I know it is just part of their work, but according to steamdb, The Pimps are cooking hard and an update should be released when it's done. 

They didn't put points into master chef, so it is taking longer to cook.  😁