Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

3 hours ago, Thaledwyn said:

Am I the only one, that feels that RWG starter towns now all have the same buildings somehow?

- No more small Pass'n'Gas, just Jerry's Fill over and over

- Always Butcher Pete

- Always a Police station

And regarding map randomness:

1.) Could you add a "classic" RWG mode:

- Without the given circle/line forms? Just random layout like in A21?

- With being able to do a (for example) snow only map again?

- If trader routes will not work there: It's ok. Just give a warning.

2.) Could you add an option for "Mega City" or maybe "Cities per biome" and "City size?

You're not the only one but some of it may be intentional due to the story progression.  Not all of the current RWG layouts make sense without the story, and we don't have the story, so we have a map layout that is not what some people desire.  At some point, TFP have to start aiming the map and other things towards the storyline so they can work on future things that tie them together, and they chose 1.0 to be that time.  Supporting the upcoming map needs and the legacy options too may not be feasible.

Now if we find out in the future that supporting both was entirely possible, you will have justification for a rant.  😁

14 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Not even the ghostly Boo Bees?

I've been a big fan of ghostly pale Boo Bees since...well, forever.

I also miss the old 7D2D bees.

We're good with other mutations, so why not the bees? I know the vultures sort of took their place, but there's nothing wrong with two air menaces!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

4 hours ago, Thaledwyn said:

Am I the only one, that feels that RWG starter towns now all have the same buildings somehow?

- Always Butcher Pete

If you got time, you could: Find all POIs of the same type as butchers pete, i.e. same tier, size and flags ("commercial","rural",...). Then count how many of them are in maybe 10 maps in the starting town (don't count them on the map, count them in the GeneratedWorlds files). Those numbers could tell you as a fact whether something is wrong.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

20 hours ago, dcsobral said:

So, I was in this tier 2 building in the forest, tier 2 being my current tier, doing a Fetch & Clear quest. I looted some random stuff and I got a quality 1 pipe rifle. Uh, ok. Then I get to the loot room and there's an irradiated wight in it. Let's just say the opposition and the weapons I've been provided to fight it are a bit mismatched. Being in an Intellect build I guess I could have crafted a robotic sledge and hoped the wight would die laughing at it.

I'm guessing you have a xp set to a higher rating.  That is a bit unbalanced right now.  it is better to just do standard xp rate.  Your level will outstrip your loot drastically, and the higher your level the more likely you'll get nasty zombies showing up in pois.

29 minutes ago, Javabean867 said:

I'm guessing you have a xp set to a higher rating.  That is a bit unbalanced right now.  it is better to just do standard xp rate.  Your level will outstrip your loot drastically, and the higher your level the more likely you'll get nasty zombies showing up in pois.

Tier 2 quests definitely start the joy:

Solo play on insane with standard 100% XP:

Tier 1 quests: not a single feral

Tier 2 quests: Feral wight, Feral mutated

When playing in a group it's getting even better (worse?):

Tier 1 quests: Chill & grill

First tier 2 quest: 3 ferals and 2 greens in one POI 😲

7 minutes ago, Thaledwyn said:

First tier 2 quest: 3 ferals and 2 greens in one POI

That seems a bit overly nasty?

Even the feral wight in your solo T2 would be rough. What level are you?

4 hours ago, Morloc said:

I've been a big fan of ghostly pale Boo Bees since...well, forever.

I also miss the old 7D2D bees.

We're good with other mutations, so why not the bees? I know the vultures sort of took their place, but there's nothing wrong with two air menaces!

That would make it 3. Me in a gyrocopter. That would count as an air menace also.

There's Plate Wedge and Slope Plate blocks, left and right, but there's no Ramp Plate (or Plate Ramp -- that your pick 😁). There's a Ramp Plate Cap, which combines what would be a ramp plate with an incline. Can we get ramp plate shapes, please?

@faatal grats on the improvements- performance wise i've seen so far 1.0- alot of them are making a nice impact for multiplayer.

Right now the biggest issue i am seeing is the server browser.. its a complete rekt, maybe worse than it ever has been.

A. players can not find the server most of time 

B. connecting direct ip doesn't always work for them

C. most players that are able to connect for the first time have had to connect by steam friend list to join game from player profile

D. this whole alpha i have had many players that could only join server from steam friend list "join game"

please do something about this because its prob one of the most important fixs the pimps could do right now imo

thanks and again grats on the improvement that have been made.

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

US Army Post #7 as a T6 is absolutely ludicrous

I love that POI but haven't tried infestation yet.  I completed it as tier 5 using my trusty Q6 steel spear that I made.  No guns at all.  Fun stuff.

5 hours ago, DocRussel said:

You're not the only one but some of it may be intentional due to the story progression.  Not all of the current RWG layouts make sense without the story, and we don't have the story, so we have a map layout that is not what some people desire.  At some point, TFP have to start aiming the map and other things towards the storyline so they can work on future things that tie them together, and they chose 1.0 to be that time.  Supporting the upcoming map needs and the legacy options too may not be feasible.

Now if we find out in the future that supporting both was entirely possible, you will have justification for a rant.  😁

True, but there should still be options for RWG.  They don't need the story or story progression in a random map, or it should at last be optional.  How many times do you want to run the same story over and over again?  At some point, for me only a couple games, it will be too repetitive and you'll want to just play the game without a story again.

13 hours ago, faatal said:

If you set the volume to Wander mode.

And then they appear to start to wander when somebody enters the zombie volume, not before. Or at least that was my observation when playing around with wander volumes. They didn't start to wander when the volume spawned the zombies, so if you have a small volume such as you might find in a tight house, a zombie this is on the ground may stand up and start to wander when you were close because the volume was small -- basically ending up with an Attack volume that way.

I believe it was @Riamus who observed it worked better with larger zombie volumes. That was my conclusion after testing as well. I thought a Wander volume worked best when there could be generous zombie volume borders between the zombies and the player to start.

2 hours ago, Gamida said:

That would make it 3. Me in a gyrocopter. That would count as an air menace also.

Let`s make club.

Anyone that lives long enough to build one is in :)

24 minutes ago, zztong said:

And then they appear to start to wander when somebody enters the zombie volume, not before. Or at least that was my observation when playing around with wander volumes. They didn't start to wander when the volume spawned the zombies, so if you have a small volume such as you might find in a tight house, a zombie this is on the ground may stand up and start to wander when you were close because the volume was small -- basically ending up with an Attack volume that way.

I believe it was @Riamus who observed it worked better with larger zombie volumes. That was my conclusion after testing as well. I thought a Wander volume worked best when there could be generous zombie volume borders between the zombies and the player to start.

Yeah, it would be great if you could set it to have either an outer ring around the volume that triggers it but where zombies can't spawn so you can start the wandering from another room without the zombies spawning in that other room.  Or even a volume setting to choose how many meters horizontal or how many meters vertical away from the volume to spawn the zombies (and make them wander if set to wander) so you can have them spawn when you aren't yet in the volume. 

Something like that would let zombies be wandering before you enter the volume and make it look alive when you first see the zombies when in a small space.

10 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I perfectly understand, and it wasn't an attack on him at all, it was a comment made in jest between fellow "fanboys".

You're probably one of the few who didn't understand this and felt the need to come to his defense... for nothing.

He might have misunderstood your joke as English is not his first language (it's French, I think... Nothing wrong with that).

52 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, it would be great if you could set it to have either an outer ring around the volume that triggers it but where zombies can't spawn so you can start the wandering from another room without the zombies spawning in that other room.  Or even a volume setting to choose how many meters horizontal or how many meters vertical away from the volume to spawn the zombies (and make them wander if set to wander) so you can have them spawn when you aren't yet in the volume. 

Something like that would let zombies be wandering before you enter the volume and make it look alive when you first see the zombies when in a small space.

Yes, and with the stealth game you might see them ahead wandering, rather than standing up and starting to wander when you step around the corner, which basically translates into the player waking up the sleeper even though the player was not perceived.

IIRC, a zombie volume doesn't place it's zombies until you're within 4 blocks horizontally and 0 blocks vertically. Perhaps that code needs an exception for Wandering zombie volumes?

3 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Looks like you cannot wrench anymore without attracting screamers. It's insane. 

Strangely we don't see many screamers. I wrenched a lot and haven't seen even one while doing that.

How can that be? I am not aware of any setting or mode that would influence frequency.

3 hours ago, dcsobral said:

There's Plate Wedge and Slope Plate blocks, left and right, but there's no Ramp Plate (or Plate Ramp -- that your pick 😁). There's a Ramp Plate Cap, which combines what would be a ramp plate with an incline. Can we get ramp plate shapes, please?

I recently built a base using Ramp Plates, Ramp Plate Fillers and Plates. I'm not sure what you mean.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

IIRC, a zombie volume doesn't place it's zombies until you're within 4 blocks horizontally and 0 blocks vertically. Perhaps that code needs an exception for Wandering zombie volumes?

When I tested this, it was on a sleeper volume in a POI I had made that goes right up to the edge of the room where an open "doorway" into the other room is located.  The zombies spawned before I could see them (probably that 4 block thing) but didn't activate until I entered the volume.  If they also activate when they spawn for wanderer volumes, that would work will, I think.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Thaledwyn said:

- Always Butcher Pete

You're not the only one but shhhh about Jerry's Fill, that's my go-to base!!

Speaking of, and to keep on topic, how easy would it be to add more POIs to RWG towns in the forest, without creating cities or new districts/completely screwing up RWG? It's a personal preference, but I do like it when the smaller towns have at least one big-name store in them, it feels more accurate (for instance, my town has a Big Name Brand that shares the same color scheme as Vault-Tec, within walking distance of my house, but my town is very small). Is it as simply as appending the POI list with a different district or like, tag or what it is they're called?

I've also found, especially in my current save, there are more Tier 2 and 3 POIs in the town I'm in than Tier 1, which leads me to having to go go 1-2km away just to find even a wilderness POI that's a first-tier; it makes it very.... tedious to do quests, to be polite about it, since you don't get the bicycle until the end of the quest (for free) or unless you perk into vehicles (sucks for people who only play one-attribute runs, like full agility or full fortitude, etc). My question is, are there really so little Tier 1's as of current?

Maybe to off-set it, since there are a lot of remnants in forest towns, maybe add in an Infested Remnant quest type? Clear it out but the reward is worse than a fetch quest, because there's only like 4 zombies total (or sometimes none at all). That way all the remnant POIs (Tier 0, I think) could be in the random pool for quests... or would that make it too easy to complete the first tier of trader quests?

Just wanted to stop by and say how much I love the 1.0 update.

The progression changes are massive IMO

I'm on day 40 of my first playthrough and it just feels perfect. Its a constant struggle (in a good way) to find books/loot to progress.

POIs & Blood Moons remain challenging. 

I'm just flat out having a great time playing the game.
Its not the case where I hit day 20 and feel "done" because I'm overpowered, horde base is impenetrable, everything is unlocked, etc

Cherry on top is how great the game looks and feels now.
Others can and will disagree, but I'm 100% aligned with how the team approached rolling out 1.0. I've been playing since Alpha 15 and this is what I envisioned a 1.0 update would look, feel, and play like. 

Thanks Devs for creating what will go down as my favorite game of all time.