Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

5 hours ago, rateds2k said:

Triggers make it so you can't just stealth everything. Makes it more exciting.  IMO, When you stealth a zombie next to another one. the undead one should hear the body drop and wake up.

Good point. 👍 For me, it's more the explicit spawn triggers that I dislike, espescially when going through a poi in an unorthodox way, stealth or not. If you do so, zombies will often spawn in empty, cleared rooms (or even right in front of you) when crossing certain points. Generally, I find the zombies do wake up upon killing nearby zombies, at least without super significant stealth investment, almost to a critical degree, where killing one sleeper can wake all of them. This causes everything nearby to aggro as well. I think a combination of sleepers and idle zombies would be a nice combination, as triggers can also occasionally disrupt quests. I do agree that stealth should never have a 100% success rate, nor be too abusable, but it (imo) shouldn't be completely nullified by certain triggers or rooms. It'd be cool if stealth had some more active components to maintaining sneak, but I don't know. I don't think I've ever done a full stealth build myself. 😀

5 minutes ago, Zombiepoptard said:

I think my legendary crafting idea made into the game!! 😃 The idea that you would have to get a rare item and have max or high level crafting ability to make the last tier!! 

Cuz your the best

Reminder about our holy overlord armor 😍 

Screenshot_20230918_000723_Chrome.jpg.973cd0099fa32f662dc22d2be4226d8a.jpg

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Teteria said:

QUICK 1.0 DEVSTREAM PART 2 RECAP

Updated world generation and you can now preview what you are generating:

FssLdHY.jpeg

63GDVwu.jpeg

More character presets preview:
Wu2rYCP.jpeg
Challenges system 2.0
iLeduQx.png

Vehicles can be dyed, and modifications are visible

sWm2XuI.jpeg

dhfGVwe.jpeg

Legendary crafts

1n4ci6c.png
Update includes over 75 new POIs (5 tier 5s, 6 tier 4s) School, Minotaur Theater, Bunker, Football Stadium remake, Skyscrapper... 

The game has a total of 750 aprox.

1nNp7Qg.jpeg

9niiHM2.png

ctPhNml.png

qmvKLC8.png

TVYXD2D.png

ounqGsH.png

We have been able to preview what we generated for a long, long time.

Not that there hasn't been significant improvements there. It is now doing many things I've been doing in my own 7d2d map preview generation, which in turn were inspired by the 2d previewer that came  before the current 3D previewer.

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Spuder said:

@Laz Man, the football stadium looks so good! Can't wait to play it.

Glad you liked it!  I know they didn't show much but perhaps that's a good thing so nothing is spoiled for you all...😁

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

We have been able to preview what we generated for a long, long time.

Yeah, but you had to wait a long long time to preview it. Generation is so much faster that previewing a generation actually feels like a movie instead of geological erosion.  

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Glad you liked it!  I know they didn't show much but perhaps that's a good thing so nothing is spoiled for you all...😁

It is very good! I want to know who designed that poi what is in my profile picture :D can you remember? 

Just now, Makaroni95 said:

It is very good! I want to know who designed that poi what is in my profile picture :D can you remember? 

Okay, I finished it, but remnants poi :D

2 minutes ago, Makaroni95 said:

Okay, I finished it, but remnants poi :D

This one. 

Screenshot_20240608_073938_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

9 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I think theses are going to be my favorite sets. I hope the athlete helmet is a football helmet! 

And I wonder what the hat is for the preacher

Screenshot_20240607_123108_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20240607_123118_YouTube.jpg

It probably won't be, but dear lord (lol) I hope it's one of these because it would be SO funny

Spoiler

CappelloRomano.thumb.JPG.a608a8ab8888661c3fb06356dff5c955.JPG

POIs are looking great, too. Y'all are knocking it out of the park with each new version. Every pass they're looking more and more realistic, and I'm sure the new blocks are helping! Hopefully all those lore notes that Lathan spoke about will make it into the story line update because having those tidbits of lore as notes would be pretty cool, like survivor notes and journals/warnings.

Performance is also doing pretty damn well, I remember Lathan saying that despite there being stutters in the stream itself, he wasn't having them in his game (understandable, streaming is never perfect 60fps 1080p because of internet and all, yknow?), even when he was in the new High School and all those zombies were on screen, the game was running really, really well.

Posted (edited)

At this point, if you really can manage 2-3 new block font sets (I know folks have concerns about too many blocks being added), the POIs are going to look bananas good. Right now that stuff is standing out REALLY REALLY hard, but even the slightest amount of variety would go an extremely long way towards fixing that.

Better yet, 2-5* Large Signboard blocks maybe? Just a bigger, more formal version of the writable signpost, with a choice of maybe a dozen fonts and pickable textures for both text and background? Absolutely would be more work but could revolutionize POI appearance across the game and actually lower block counts. Especially if you can decouple characters from being forced to always be 1 block in size.

*Okay, maybe more than 5. Would probably need 1x3-1x9, and maybe a 2x6, 2x9, and 2x12? Would be 10 blocks in total, maybe a couple more sizes for a dozen.

Even just a more modest implementation with only a handful of larger and more formal signposts would still have very broad use cases. And the game already has fancy signpost blocks in the traders. The difference here is so stark!

image.png.1f2b234019fea1a0910c1afd46b4c833.png

image.png.7118115b905cfbe638e9831dc8735928.png

Not expecting anything for 1.0, especially since a large number of POIs would need retrofitting (simple, but tedious). But the effect would be dramatic and very wide-ranging.

Edited by FramFramson (see edit history)

8 hours ago, LowfDog said:

Is it too late to request a trader that sounds like Falco?  O.o

Darnit, I was sure that would summon Hated.  Maybe if I said his name three times? :D

8 hours ago, FramFramson said:

At this point, if you really can manage 2-3 new block font sets (I know folks have concerns about too many blocks being added), the POIs are going to look bananas good. Right now that stuff is standing out REALLY REALLY hard, but even the slightest amount of variety would go an extremely long way towards fixing that.

Better yet, 2-5* Large Signboard blocks maybe? Just a bigger, more formal version of the writable signpost, with a choice of maybe a dozen fonts and pickable textures for both text and background? Absolutely would be more work but could revolutionize POI appearance across the game and actually lower block counts. Especially if you can decouple characters from being forced to always be 1 block in size.

*Okay, maybe more than 5. Would probably need 1x3-1x9, and maybe a 2x6, 2x9, and 2x12? Would be 10 blocks in total, maybe a couple more sizes for a dozen.

Even just a more modest implementation with only a handful of larger and more formal signposts would still have very broad use cases. And the game already has fancy signpost blocks in the traders. The difference here is so stark!

Not expecting anything for 1.0, especially since a large number of POIs would need retrofitting (simple, but tedious). But the effect would be dramatic and very wide-ranging.

We have some plans for "sign" tech.  But not for 1.0.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Zombiepoptard said:

Did you influence the armor idea? 

How i feel right now! definitely not going to my head.

Naa i wish! But it's my favorite bandit model. I would rock that armor 

The model was made by Brett Briley. I know the Pimps have no interest in making the bandit armor wearable. I think that's a shame. More armor the better

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

We have some plans for "sign" tech.  But not for 1.0.

Any plans for updating the store sighs like working stiff 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

New place to find those party girls! 

"Get your boogie on in this new downtown Business strip complete with a Disco Dance Floor. One of hundreds of new POIS coming to the 1.0 PC launch in June and PS5 and Xbox X/S series launch in July.

You can still pick up 7 Days on Steam now for the early access price of $24.99 before the price goes up to $44.99 with the launch of 1.0."

Also I spot a new cargo truck!!! I hope one day we get army jeeps! 

20240608_123018.jpg

20240608_123026.jpg

20240608_123053.jpg

12 hours ago, Roland said:

Yeah, but you had to wait a long long time to preview it. Generation is so much faster that previewing a generation actually feels like a movie instead of geological erosion.  

shhhhhh. you know words like geological erosion summons DavegaNL

12 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Perhaps they could add neon light letters like the ones many businesses use on their store fronts.

On 6/7/2024 at 1:30 PM, SnowDog1942 said:

Any chance in a post 1.0 update there could be multiple elevations in a city/towm?  

There might be something related to this on camera at one point of the 2nd dev stream for those who have a good eye.  Happy hunting / theory crafting. 😎

17 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

There might be something related to this on camera at one point of the 2nd dev stream for those who have a good eye.  Happy hunting / theory crafting. 😎

Is that the tall blue boxes at the POI entries in the editor? That's the first thing that popped into my head as seeming odd (though I don't use the POI editor so maybe it's a normal thing)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

The one thing I saw was the "city circles" in the preview, which led me to believe that's a no. Of course, POIs and tiles can be terrain elevation differences, and they already do. On the video we can see Am I Gone is at a higher level, and it looks like it's a tile thing.

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)

On 6/6/2024 at 9:32 AM, Maxley said:

@faatal is the bug where when you collapse a building a lot of the furniture remains floating in the air on the list of bugs to fix?

There is an older bug ticket for it, but it was never a MF as does not happen that often and does not break games. We have much worse things to fix.

I've heard some perks will be updated/possibly changed in 1.0. Will this include rewording unchanged perks? Some, like Healing Factor and Light Armor have vague or even incorrect wording.

HEALING FACTOR

"Specialize in boosting your natural healing rates as long as you're not starving. Self-healing will not work when you are out of food or water."

While this one does explain that it doesn't work if your Hunger and Thirst meters are empty, it does NOT tell you that it makes you hungry and thirsty faster.

LIGHT ARMOR

"Specialize in light armor to increase armor rating and armor durability."

This is just plain WRONG. Your armor rating does NOT increase with this skill - Only the durability of said armor does.

On 6/7/2024 at 2:27 PM, Дмитрий said:

Hello @faatal, this is Dmitry, I also remember in the old version there were bees 7 days to die, they had honey!I have 7 days to die, 3000 hours have been played, I started playing with alpha 3-6 from a pirate, I was lagging on the computer, I bought 7 days in steam to die with alpha 8, I really like this game,I will continue to play it with pleasure!And I wanted to ask if hostile insects (bees) will be added again?Do you plan to add not only bandits in the game, but also allies, such as survivors, who need to be protected from zombies!Would it be fun to add zombie kids???Thank you in advance for reading my answer, thank you very much, let the game become popular for everyone)

Sorry, not planning to add bees or other insects. Bandits are planned, but while we are not doing followers, there could be friendly NPCs that attack bandits.

We will not be doing kids.

Thanks for playing!

On 6/7/2024 at 3:38 PM, Jost Amman said:

Watching the stream made me think about one question on future content after 1.0.

Has the idea of Bosses and mini-Bosses been completely discarded?

We still have only Grace as a unique boss, and she's not even a (human) zombie!

It would be great to see something like that added to the game at some point.

Imagine reaching the end of a T4 or T5 POI and having to fight an end-level boss (like in 90' games) and having it drop legendary parts! :hat:

Any news on that?

@faatal @madmole or anyone who can reply...

Boss ideas are not discarded. Those are simply things we are not thinking about right now. Bandits need to be in a good place before I concern myself with special ones.