Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

7 hours ago, neryandres20 said:

Navezgane is a walking simulator. It has aged badly even when compared with PREGEN let alone modern RWG. The problem are Jen, Joel and Bob locations and the east side of the map having no traders. Jen new location is awful, she's literaly in the middle of the map, closer to Bob and Joel than she's of Diersville. same with Bob, he's closer to Jen and Joel than he is of Departure. WTF!. POIs are completely separated off from Joel, which sends you mostly to the annoying as all hell burnt forest where Jen is at 800m away on foot, the burnt forest is honestly annoying as all hell and shouldn't be most of the early game experience. F that place.

I prefer Navezgane as a map over pregen and rwg. POI and trader duplication kills the vibe a little for me.

But I do agree that Joel starts offering too many quests 1+kms away too early, when there's plenty of closer POIs that can be used to fulfill Tier 1 requirements. That whole neighborhood containing Bob's Boars could be used up before having to go long distance. I'm also not necessarily mad at having to go to the burnt forest for Tier 1 quests but I can see having to do them too early being an issue.  

Once I get the bike then I have no problem doing 1+km away missions. 

And I think it could be nice to move some of the traders more east. I think that's how it originally was, right? 

And what ever happened to Trader Jimmy? Can't we have 5 more traders on rwg and pregen maps to remove duplicates? 

Posted (edited)

Apart from using Random Gen as usual for every playthrough in every new alpha I always do a new one in Navez, and every time in different part of the map, which adds different kind of challenge.

And this is the best part, learning the map with the time and knowing which thing is where is one thing, but surviving on another location in there is really good. 

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Arez said:

And what ever happened to Trader Jimmy? Can't we have 5 more traders on rwg and pregen maps to remove duplicates? 

I might be wrong but, Trader Jimmy might have been based on Joel and Richard's uncle Jim, who passed away suddenly on August 6 2020. It would make sense that they removed Jimmy for that reason; not wanting a painful reminder in game.

And if I'm wrong, then I apologize.

Edited by Space4Ace (see edit history)

Curious what happened to the project to make a Trader Thick.

Regardless, I know TFP have said nothing will come anytime soon, but we really do need another couple traders. Hitting 3+ of the same trader on large maps is asinine.

3 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Hitting 3+ of the same trader on large maps is asinine.

Maybe they can initiate the same sort of variations they're using on zombies...
"That's obviously not Trader Rekt, he's wearing pink overalls and a black cap."

3 hours ago, FramFramson said:

I don't think that was ever a TFP project, I seen players making the request - but I don't think anyone from TFP stated that they were going to do this.

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I don't think that was ever a TFP project, I seen players making the request - but I don't think anyone from TFP stated that they were going to do this.

Correct, it was a fan project. I just couldn't remember who was doing it (thanks bdub).

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Teteria said:

Does this mean that beta branch will be out in June or will beta branch come very very soon and 1.0 in June?

We don't have exact dates but there will be a short experimental beta released on PC soon. It will go live for us on one of the upcoming Mondays following Memorial Day so possibly: June 3, June 10, or June 17 as the most likely candidates if they want to launch 1.0 for console before the end of June. Whatever Monday it launches there will be a streamer weekend during the 2-3 days before the beta launch.

So as long as they are still on schedule with their plans there will be a beta branch sometime during the first part of June and then 1.0 will release for both console and PC at the end of June. If they are behind schedule then the beta branch will hopefully release before the end of June with 1.0 for console and Steam launching in July. I don't think it would slip any later than that. The announcement wasn't an off-hand comment during an interview or wishful thinking by the owners. It was an intentional press release as part of their ongoing roadmap. So hopefully it is right on time with the caveat that sometimes stuff happens to delay slightly.

EDIT: I just read the blurb with the Hops pic and it says June for Steam and July for Console so it sounds like things slipped a bit. That means you can probably add June 24 as a possible Monday for the experimental launch.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

I'd almost rule out the weekend of June 7th to 9th as there are a bunch of big gaming events on that weekend (Summer Games Fest, Xbox Showcase, Ubisoft forward etc). I would imagine it would be a good idea to avoid that weekend so release hype doesn't get overshadowed by other big gaming news

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Regardless, I know TFP have said nothing will come anytime soon, but we really do need another couple traders. Hitting 3+ of the same trader on large maps is asinine.

Agree. But even if they didn’t make any new traders, but added other “friendly” poi’s such as a bar where you can purchase various drinks and “awesome sauce” like consumables and candies I’d be happy.

i would love to see like an ice cream truck mobile trader using a converted armored truck (or mo’power, or some other asset already in the game) that sells ammo and other weapons. It could use the new bypass roads around major cities that fataal added to RWG.

Or just have a repair quest to fix a broken down vehicle and defend it from a wave of zombies and a demolisher. This game really needs a defend quest. 

Edited by XCOUNTRY (see edit history)

36 минут назад, XCOUNTRY сказал:

Соглашаться. Но даже если бы они не сделали новых торговцев, а добавили других «дружеских» по типу бара, где можно было бы получить различные напитки и «обалденный соус» в виде расходных материалов и конфет, я был бы рад.

Я бы увидел здесь настоящего торговца грузовиком с мороженым, использующего переоборудованный бронированный грузовик (или mo'power, или какой-то другой актив, который уже присутствует в игре), продает боеприпасы и другое оружие. Он мог бы использовать новые объездные дороги вокруг крупных городов, которые фатально были добавлены в RWG.

Или просто выполнить квест по ремонту, чтобы починить сломанную машину и защитить ее от волн зомби и разрушителя. Эта игра действительно нуждается в защитном квесте. 

I really liked this idea, it would be nice if the developer added such a merchant when bandits appeared, in principle, there is nothing difficult to make such a merchant, yes, it would be nice if he traveled around the map and stopped at certain places, but you can make it so that he just it appears in a certain place and is marked on the map as loot from an airplane so that it can be easily found, so that it stands at one point for a day or two, and then moves to another part of the map - this idea is very good

8 hours ago, XCOUNTRY said:

Agree. But even if they didn’t make any new traders, but added other “friendly” poi’s such as a bar where you can purchase various drinks and “awesome sauce” like consumables and candies I’d be happy.

i would love to see like an ice cream truck mobile trader using a converted armored truck (or mo’power, or some other asset already in the game) that sells ammo and other weapons. It could use the new bypass roads around major cities that fataal added to RWG.

Or just have a repair quest to fix a broken down vehicle and defend it from a wave of zombies and a demolisher. This game really needs a defend quest. 

I love these ideas, lmao.

POI defence quests are confirmed as planned for the future, IIRC.