How did the russian T72B3 tank end up among the photos to be posted at Trader Hugh's base?

Survager

Just one small question: how did the russian T72B3 tank end up among the photos to be posted at Trader Hugh's base? (screenshot taken on the second stream of developers)
I understand that the designer may not understand military equipment, but when searching on Google, there is usually a description of what is shown in the picture.
And it is not entirely clear whether the trader Hugh was a naval pilot or a tanker. And if he is a tanker, then why is he serving on a russian tank?
And, I just want to remind you about what is happening in the world and what role this technique plays in what is happening now in Ukraine.
Thank you for understanding.

https://www.deviantart.com/oscerf/art/T-72B3-867162139

image.thumb.png.307f9f197a5d2f6cc5d03a655e576233.png

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

You make a good point regarding the world today and how things like this can become a sore point for people.  Probably not the best choice, but I'm sure they just picked a tank they liked the looks of and used it without thinking about where the tank came from.  As far as Hugh having various military pictures, I don't see a problem with him having a variety even if he was from a specific military branch.  You can simply like military vehicles regardless of military branch.

Or maybe Rekt is one of those survivalists who keeps it around so he knows when Russia invades, what their tanks look like?

And would this really be an issue if Russia had not invaded Ukraine?  Not as if TFP are supporting Russia by putting a picture of a Russian tank in a poster in the game.......

Also, if he was formerly a tanker in the army, they would want to know what tanks the enemies they are fighting against so they know their strengths and weaknesses, so it would make sense to have pictures of them so you can quickly recognize them in battle......

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Also, if he was formerly a tanker in the army, they would want to know what tanks the enemies they are fighting against so they know their strengths and weaknesses, so it would make sense to have pictures of them so you can quickly recognize them in battle......

That might be a bit of a stretch.  You might have specs and images in a drawer or something if the enemy weapons, but you normally have posters of things you actually are interested in and like.  That usually won't be the enemy.  But it is a good reason anyhow.

Still, if we are in Arizona, it would probably be better to have American military equipment displayed just for immersion.  But I don't really care as I wouldn't know most of it just by looking at it anyhow.  If no one says this was Russian, I wouldn't have had any idea or even wondered about it.

There is no bigger logic : there is no law stuff behind this photo so they used it as random modern tank photo. Nothing more nothing less. Guys TFP is not focused on lore so there in bigger sense here - modern tank as tank.  It's like when moviemakers show in budget movie incorrect weapons, vehicles etc. just  because it was cheaper

I think that was probably understood.  But even when you go for cheaper, it doesn't hurt to have some consideration for what is happening in the world at the time and how your choice may be viewed.  Even a perception that TFP supports Russia invading Ukraine would be bad for them even though i can't imagine that being the situation.  Sometimes it is better to avoid that possible misperception.  Of course, I am also not one who thinks always trying to avoid hot topics for fear of what people think is good either.  If they want to use it, I think that is fine.  I just hope they do understand the reaction some may have before making that decision.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

I think that was probably understood.  But even when you go for cheaper, it doesn't hurt to have some consideration for what is happening in the world at the time and how your choice may be viewed.  Even a perception that TFP supports Russia invading Ukraine would be bad for them even though i can't imagine that being the situation.  Sometimes it is better to avoid that possible misperception.  Of course, I am also not one who thinks always trying to avoid hot topics for fear of what people think is good either.  If they want to use it, I think that is fine.  I just hope they do understand the reaction some may have before making that decision.

Most people doesn't know too much about tanks - someone just was looking for tank and found one for free/cheap. Probably this person doesn't even check what is a tank. You know - this game doesn't have lore so they just care if something looks cool or not

Aren't pictures of military stuff sort of the pinups pictures for military fans? This would be likely a picture ripped out of "Jane's" or some other publication. Just like some people have models of military airplanes hanging from the ceiling without ever having flewn one themselves or even been in the military. So I don't see a problem explaining it.

Naturally the choice is not a good one at the moment for world politics reasons even though only very very few people will actually recognize it.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

aturally the choice is not a good one at the moment for world politics reasons even though only very very few people will actually recognize it.

Wasn't Ukraine also using T-72s? Still this entire topic really is moot. One can admire  craftmanship and lines of something made while despising the ideology of those who made it. It's a tank, some people like tanks allot and slap pics of those that hit the right aesthetic cord up on their walls regardless of where the vehicle was designed.

50 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Wasn't Ukraine also using T-72s? Still this entire topic really is moot. One can admire  craftmanship and lines of something made while despising the ideology of those who made it. It's a tank, some people like tanks allot and slap pics of those that hit the right aesthetic cord up on their walls regardless of where the vehicle was designed.

Sure, "some people" don't need to concern themselves with politics. A game developer that distributes worldwide can't entirely ignore that topic though

3 minutes ago, Survager said:

AK47 is a weapon from the times of the USSR, and the tank in the picture is the T72 model, which was upgraded to T72B3 only in russia. 

Well, you can always imagine that this is a captured tank... :)

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

I think they were showing vodka in the dev stream also. Wondering if some are going to ask for it to be removed.

I have never heard of a war in which vodka was used as a weapon.

7 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

Well, you can always imagine that this is a captured tank... :)

Trophy tank has a different color, such as "pixel" )

18 minutes ago, Roland said:

They just picked the one with the most sex appeal…

You know, a swastika without context is also nothing special, and for some it may even look sexy ) But the context changes everything.

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Survager said:

Molotov cocktails as an offensive weapon? It's very hard for me to imagine. )

I think you are trolling me or I don't get your sarcasm but will add this anyway.

Russian tanks have long been the targets of Molotov cocktails. Right-wing nationalist rebels in the Spanish Civil War first used petrol bombs in 1937 against Soviet tanks supplied to the Republican government. In one encounter witnessed by an astonished British brigadier general, the homemade bombs managed to destroy nine tanks. Soon the Republican Army and the international brigades fighting by its side were using them too.

But the people of Finland were the ones who came up with the name. When Soviet forces attacked Finland in 1939, Vyacheslav Mikhaylovich Molotov, Stalin’s foreign minister, claimed the warplanes were airlifting food to the country, not dropping bombs. The Finns responded by dubbing the bombs “Molotov’s bread baskets” and offered to provide drinks—or cocktails—to go with them. State liquor factories had already switched from making vodka to preparing bulk quantities of the improvised incendiary devices, which Finnish troops used with great effect against Soviet armour. The name “Molotov cocktail” stuck and quickly spread around the world.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/history-and-civilisation/2022/03/the-history-of-the-molotov-cocktail-an-iconic-weapon-of-underdogs