Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

22 hours ago, TheRealKrash said:

I think in my opinion that the dev's or people actually working on this game should be the one's posting in this section and answering their customer's ?'s, not the moderator's who have no work into the game physically. Makes no sense to me, might aswell let pee-wee herman be a moderator and post about this topic, it means the same, does it not? It does kind of seem 50/50 when the moderator's speak here?

The moderators generally have at least a little inside information about the game as they will talk more with the devs than the rest of us.  So they can provide very useful information at times without the devs having to stop programming just to talk to people.  And if they don't know the answer, they'll say so.  Besides, the devs do talk here occasionally.  But if you wanted the devs to spend as much time answering questions and helping people as the moderators do, then the game would never be finished and we'd probably still be on Alpha 7.  The moderators taking time to respond to people here is a good thing.

Personally I don't mind waiting but we should have a face off between alpha 17 and alpha 21 on who took longer to make if I remember correctly alpha 17 was 18 months and overhauled a ton of things I feel 21 is in the same boat of things so the time frame does make sense.

Releasing the stable before the the summer sale does seem plausible but if anything bad crops up bug wise that could tamper with stuff.

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, warmer said:

This isn't a big deal to anybody but TFP.

I would disagree on that.

It's also a big deal for the streamers who can participate in Streamer Weekend. They have to make preparations for that and they can't plan anything else for that time period. I have seen streamers who were accepted for the Streamer Weekend not being able to stream because they were unfortunately out of town. So at least for the streamers in the green room it would be quite handy if they knew 2-3 weeks in advance when the streamer weekend will take place.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:23 PM, NekoPawtato said:

Out of curiosity, what types of bugs don't require programmers? Is that something like POI designs and art?

I was working on a system to do audio analysis of the sounds heavy haul railway cars made, to check the health of the bearings (to prevent derailments like the one in East Palestine Ohio in Feb 2023).

During the day everything was working as expected, but at night we kept getting a buzzing sound in one microphone.

I flew nearly 2,000 Kms to find a large wasp had built its nest in the mic enclosure.

No programmer needed to squash that bug...

13 hours ago, CyberHellKen said:

"Hype" broke down again. Nothing was promised, at best, hoped for.

I was thinking Summer Sale time in late June, so if it's before that, I'd consider it a win.

Well they said they aim for mid may, so it is not just a hype of the gamers. Normally when i would say "my project will be finished in mid may hopefully", then i would give updates as soon as mid may is off the table. Otherwise people get confused..

42 minutes ago, Lostyouthkhat said:

Well they said they aim for mid may, so it is not just a hype of the gamers. Normally when i would say "my project will be finished in mid may hopefully", then i would give updates as soon as mid may is off the table. Otherwise people get confused..

Yet they have given some updates.  Around 30 MF bugs to fix at last note.  They've said before that some MF bugs may be left until after experimental is released if they feel they aren't too critical but there's no guarantee of that, so I'd just assume that all will need to be fixed before experimental and if not, then that's a bonus.

Honestly having caves back in a way that doesn't eat performance would be awesome it always spruced up adventuring into the wilderness I always loved seeing the random places it goes I made my base in the bottom of one before and themed it like a survivors rat hole.

One day maybe...one day.

3 hours ago, Lostyouthkhat said:

I saw updates saying June is more likely. Now.  What is so confusing?  Its obviously not done yet.  

20 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I saw updates saying June is more likely. Now.  What is so confusing?  Its obviously not done yet.  

I am talking about official updates of course and not just "i guess june is more likely" by the forum moderator. I guess you didnt got my point and thats okay for me. 

1 hour ago, Lostyouthkhat said:

I am talking about official updates of course and not just "i guess june is more likely" by the forum moderator. I guess you didnt got my point and thats okay for me. 

Roland and now Crator Creator have regular communications with the dev team so their estimates are pretty good.

With that said, It is most likely not happening this coming Monday.

Will see how things go for the following week.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed...

28 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I would have been surprised if it would have been the next Monday. May 29th is Memorial Day as far as I know and the employees in the US will probably have the day off.

55 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Roland and now Crator Creator have regular communications with the dev team so their estimates are pretty good.

Will see how things go for the following week.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed...

Is it bad that I'm hoping it misses another week and slips til the 10th-12th weekend? 😝 Purely selfish reasons of course

20 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Is it bad that I'm hoping it misses another week and slips til the 10th-12th weekend? 😝 Purely selfish reasons of course

Let me guess. Diablo 4 ? 😉

EDIT: By the way I also hope for the 10th-12th weekend. Has nothing to do with Diablo but my favorite streamer is out of town during the first weekend in june.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Let me guess. Diablo 4 ? 😉

EDIT: By the way I also hope for the 10th-12th weekend. Has nothing to do with Diablo but my favorite streamer is out of town during the first weekend in june.

Actually same as you, the streamer I'd watch isn't available that weekend and I'm not available the weekend after the 10th-12th so it's the only one that works for me

3 hours ago, Lostyouthkhat said:

Yeah the Fun Pimps have room for improvement when it comes to communicating. I hope they hire a community manager for the next game who will take care of such things.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Yeah the Fun Pimps have room for improvement when it comes to communicating. I hope they hire a community manager for the next game who will take care of such things.

I am pretty sure that Roland gave us all the info he was allowed to share when he was super mod. So a community manager could only change frequency of posting the same stuff again and again or style. Is it frequency or style that should be improved in your opinion?

Or is it a cleaner presentation of the facts you are after?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I am pretty sure that Roland gave us all the info he was allowed to share when he was super mod. So a community manager could only change frequency of posting the same stuff again and again or style. Is it frequency or style that should be improved in your opinion?

A News Update on Steam I think would go a long way with the community.

Most players don't even know there's an official forum.

1 minute ago, Jost Amman said:

A News Update on Steam I think would go a long way with the community.

Most players don't even know there's an official forum.

That, and maybe some kind of updates via twitter? First we have 4 weeks of regular updates regarding the dev streams and stuff and then suddenly nothing… it seems weird 

31 minutes ago, meganoth said:

A clean presentation of the facts would be a good thing.

For example, when it was announced here in the forum that there will be no more empty jars in A21, it was a post with only one or two sentences. Only by asking questions did we learn more. A community manager usually prepares the information in a way that many questions are answered in advance.

Yeah these are some agreeable points some facts about changes like ripclaw said are said on a single post then it won't be updated on the main page for a few weeks or a month it would help a lot of us to have a nice and consistent list of features presented so we don't have to look through 20 pages to see a minor/major change people have said to me before they don't often check thr forums as information is scattered around sometimes making it difficult to check up on some of the talk of features.

11 hours ago, RipClaw said:

I would disagree on that.

It's also a big deal for the streamers who can participate in Streamer Weekend. They have to make preparations for that and they can't plan anything else for that time period. I have seen streamers who were accepted for the Streamer Weekend not being able to stream because they were unfortunately out of town. So at least for the streamers in the green room it would be quite handy if they knew 2-3 weeks in advance when the streamer weekend will take place.

They are getting direct updates and information through the event Discord straight from Prime and Crater Creator as soon as it is available. The streamers aren't looking for news in the dev diary thread or twitter.