Which Perk is the most useless one to you?

Sal

Which Perk is the most usless to you, and why?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Choose "Other" if a perk is not listed according to your play style

• Lock Picking
    • The Infliltrator
    • Animal Tracker
    • The Penetrator
    • Treasure Hunter
    • Pack Mule
    • Master Chef
    • The Brawler
    • The Huntsman
    • Well Insulated
    • Iron Gut
    • Rule 1: Cardio
    • Deep Cuts
    • Hidden Strike
    • From The Shadows
    • Daring Adventure
    • Charismatic Nature
    • Other (Specify)

16 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well this is exploit - i will wrote this as simple  as possible - trades bases are rectagles, military bases are rectagles , in mgs base is rectagle etc. "Forcing" zombie AI to go from one heavy defenced side is exploit.  in older alphas zombie were more... "typical" zombies you know caming from diffrent sides  and jumping zombies were for me not problem because.... world war z had this same solution.

This is an example (top down view) of one of my kill corridor bases (late game after upgrading).  Note that the Z;s have 4 ways to approach the base, but all sides are defended and setup to force the zombies down a path (grey squares are concrete or steel blocks).  My base is underground, but this is what the zombies see when they approach.  SMG turrets on top of the bunkers pointed outwards (to try and trigger demos from afar) with Shotgun turrets inside to shoot zombies in the back.  I would defend it from either the roof of the middle building or inside of the middle building when the turrets run out of ammo.  The only thing missing is a kill counter for each of my trap to see how well they are doing  😁

The Zs outnumber you (I play with the maximum zombies), they know where you are at (Z GPS), and they won't stop until you kill them completely.  So yeah, going to do everything I can to force them into a smaller area where I can concentrate my resources.

image.png.21ac6c4da7c261d76e9244122c33927c.png

But killing corridor is this same exploit like in mount and blade you could 100 soldiers if  you have tons of arrows in box . in bordelands you can fast  exp if you have a lot of ammo and you are fighting againt high level maruder or zombies in dlc.  So kill corridor is a type of exploit

So by this logic:

• I saved up my ammo during the week
  • I use that ammo in turrets I crafted
  • They kill a lot of zombies for me
  • I am exploiting the game???  🤔  🤷‍♂️

• Animal Tracker - tried it once, just to see what it was like, have never put points in it since. I don't even remember why, I guess I just didn't care for it?
  • Master Chef - I almost always break down and spend a point on this just to unlock Grilled Meat and the Tea recipes because I find myself wanting them long before I find  the schematics
  • The Huntsman / Living off the Land - I generally have no trouble keeping my food chest stocked just through looting and butchering any wolf that crosses my path, so I don't spend points on these
  • Well Insulated - I'll sink points into this if I'm playing a Fort build anyway, but otherwise won't bother
  • Charismatic Nature - hands down my "deadest" perk, since I only play solo

My top 3 useless perks:

3 - Animal Tracker - I'm not blind.  The lowest level at least makes spotting small stuff easier but the upper levels are even less useful.

2 - Lockpicking - It takes between 0-5 picks unperked and it still takes between 0-5 with all 3 levels.  Thus a virtually useless skill.

1 - Charismatic Nature - This co-op only skill has no purpose to me.  Thus winner for the skill I will find least useful.

Edited by Red Eagle LXIX (see edit history)

On 2/9/2022 at 5:06 PM, Red Eagle LXIX said:

My top 3 useless perks:

3 - Animal Tracker - I'm not blind.  The lowest level at least makes spotting small stuff easier but the upper levels are even less useful.

2 - Lockpicking - It takes between 0-5 picks unperked and it still takes between 0-5 with all 3 levels.  Thus a virtually useless skill.

1 - Charismatic Nature - This co-op only skill has no purpose to me.  Thus winner for the skill I will find least useful.

2 - I opt to instead carry a pickaxe at all times. When used against safes and other locked containers, it's called the "universal pick" or the "big lockpick" :D

Plus you only need one to open anything without the chance to break it.

My top list would be:

1)  Deep Cuts  -  I don't use blades on zombies, just requires too many hits for that close of distance.  I personally tend to use sledgehammers or arrows, although I'm interested in trying the unkillable fist weapon build.
2)  Javelin Master  -  Really don't like spears, mostly because the only power attack can result in you losing your weapon.  If I need mele range, sledgehammer it is.
3)  Treasure Hunter  -  No real need or desire, I don't like how A20 changed these quests due to our harder setting game.  I tend to avoid buried quests now, since we have the zeds set on sprint and they are on top of you in like 3 seconds.
4)  Charismatic Nature  -  Not entirely useless, but only one person really needs.  
5)  Animal Tracker  -  Less useful in A20 now, there are rabbits and chickens EVERYWHERE.  Not to mention once you get better weapons, you have unlimited and easily found food in the snow biome.  (Bears, Wolves and Cougars!)

Edited by Tohskrad (see edit history)

On 2/7/2022 at 4:56 PM, BFT2020 said:

I am exploiting the game???

Absolutely. Clearly the only non-exploitative way is to stand in the middle of a large open area with no obstacles, naked, no weapons and fight off the horde with nothing more than a stiff upper lip and colourful language.

I think alot more people would take pack pule if it actually increased your inventory space.

Currently its always 9x5

what if you could add another 5-15 inventory slots by going into packmule?

10x5 for 5 more
11X5 for 10
10x6 for 15 more

I am also not sure how cargo pocket mods will fit into the new A21 armor system and if we will still be able to overcome encumberance that way, or if each piece  of armor in A21 will naturally add pockets to your bag  making it take longer to become encumbered.

15 might be to much?? I would be glad for 5 and 10 would be nice. I can dream though right

I feel like lucky looter, treasure hunter and lockpicking could all be combined into the same perk. They all do the same thing in different ways which is loot faster and better. 

Spacing out points for each one feels bad. I also feel like loot is something sacred in the game that should be dictated by gameplay and effort not perk investment, so the best gear should be from doing T5 POIs not from looting chests with perks.

I also think having specific weapon perks increase chance to loot those specific weapon parts would be a good direction and QoL change, lower the initial chance if necessary or make it modify your native chance, but a marksman finding more rifle parts would aid their gameplay so much more than random luck looting a dozen shotguns before a single hunting rifle.

Treasure hunter is far too niche to be a perk, its a nice QOL perk and the loot you can get is fantastic but its not a gameplay that you can really aim for. You cant just be a treasure hunter its entirely luck based whether you find a map or not. Maybe if maps were common quest rewards or something but i dont like that idea much either. 

Lockpicking is also a little awkward imo. you dont really find any safes or locked chests early game and you cant really take on high tier POIs that early where lockpicking is needed, also your loot at early stages is garbage, its better to save those chests till you level up your lootstage. 
When you start finding chests you will generally have iron tools so you can fairly easily break them open. Saving a minute opening chests isnt really a great investment in perks...

Combining treasure hunter, lucky looter and lockpicking (with demo charges as an unlock at T4) would be a great perk that focuses entirely on looting faster with some loot bonuses for chests.

On 2/5/2022 at 9:20 AM, ElCabong said:

Your question kind of implies that the developers are creating perks that we don't need. What they're doing is creating perks that let you create the kind of character you want. They'll be plenty of them you want and don't.

I agree with this. Just because I may not use a perk doesn't mean it's useless. In every game I've played that utilizes a skill tree there are numerous skills/perks I don't use. Always has been and no doubt always will be. 

10 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

you dont really find any safes or locked chests early game

I beg to differ. There are plenty of T1 poi's with safes in them. Plus you have the wonderful glorious new atm's.

With T3 and higher quests now having locked end chests, lockpicks can be handy dandy, especially if you're not into beating the thing to death with a pickaxe. I've had a few playthroughs where finding lockpicks was nigh impossible and spending 300 dukes per is not ever happening. (ok, maybe I did once, but I was desperate and it was a true treasure map chest. Don't judge.) It's rare, but I have used that perk so I could make my own lockpicks and thank god it was available so I could. 

On 2/5/2022 at 7:22 PM, ElDudorino said:

I've been getting exp from zombies bleeding out so it looks like that's not an issue.  Unless there's an issue that only occurs some of the time?

I believe switching to a different weapon before the zed bleeds out can cause you to not receive the kill exp. I've seen this happen a few times on vids I've watched and one even semi tested this and didn't receive exp.  

On 2/6/2022 at 5:46 PM, Matt115 said:

Well this is exploit - i will wrote this as simple  as possible - trades bases are rectagles, military bases are rectagles , in mgs base is rectagle etc. "Forcing" zombie AI to go from one heavy defenced side is exploit.  in older alphas zombie were more... "typical" zombies you know caming from diffrent sides  and jumping zombies were for me not problem because.... world war z had this same solution. But killing corridor is this same exploit like in mount and blade you could 100 soldiers if  you have tons of arrows in box . in bordelands you can fast  exp if you have a lot of ammo and you are fighting againt high level maruder or zombies in dlc.  So kill corridor is a type of exploit

How do you fight the zombies? From the responses you made I can only assume you fight them in an open area, face to face with no player or poi designed pathing? 

4 hours ago, Jinx_DG said:

How do you fight the zombies? From the responses you made I can only assume you fight them in an open area, face to face with no player or poi designed pathing? 

i'm making a fort - typical squere in starship troopers style and tons of spikes everywhere

On 2/10/2022 at 6:17 PM, Blasphemous said:

2 - I opt to instead carry a pickaxe at all times. When used against safes and other locked containers, it's called the "universal pick" or the "big lockpick" :D

Plus you only need one to open anything without the chance to break it.

Thank you for that tip.

9 hours ago, Jinx_DG said:

I agree with this. Just because I may not use a perk doesn't mean it's useless. In every game I've played that utilizes a skill tree there are numerous skills/perks I don't use. Always has been and no doubt always will be. 

I beg to differ. There are plenty of T1 poi's with safes in them. Plus you have the wonderful glorious new atm's.

With T3 and higher quests now having locked end chests, lockpicks can be handy dandy, especially if you're not into beating the thing to death with a pickaxe. I've had a few playthroughs where finding lockpicks was nigh impossible and spending 300 dukes per is not ever happening. (ok, maybe I did once, but I was desperate and it was a true treasure map chest. Don't judge.) It's rare, but I have used that perk so I could make my own lockpicks and thank god it was available so I could. 

Yes it happens but I rarely encounter them on the first day or two. It might be because I'm not looking for them.

18 hours ago, Jinx_DG said:

They are qol but not mandatory. By the time you can craft them you can craft iron tools which can generally deal with safes easy enough. They are nice for ATMs that's true, but overall I find that they are still far too niche just like treasure hunter so I still think they should be combined

Not only is the lock-picking perk useless, the entire ability (as currently implemented) is useless.  I always carry my pick-axe with me to bust down doors, or hack through walls/barriers, so carrying lock-picks, too, is just wasted inventory space.  Add to that the fact that if you fail to pick a lock after several attempts and you're now out of lock picks, you're in exactly the same state you would have been had you just started hacking the lock with your pick-axe in the first place.

On 2/13/2022 at 2:14 PM, Matt115 said:

i'm making a fort - typical squere in starship troopers style and tons of spikes everywhere

Sounds to me like an exploit base. The only true way is to have your horde base styled after medieval castles with a narrow access way where soldiers could send tar or arrows into the closely packed attackers running through that funnel.  😁

8 hours ago, Velvet Jones said:

Not only is the lock-picking perk useless, the entire ability (as currently implemented) is useless.  I always carry my pick-axe with me to bust down doors, or hack through walls/barriers, so carrying lock-picks, too, is just wasted inventory space.  Add to that the fact that if you fail to pick a lock after several attempts and you're now out of lock picks, you're in exactly the same state you would have been had you just started hacking the lock with your pick-axe in the first place.

Please tell us how high you usually have your miner69er perk?

If I don't perk into strength MY miner69er is somewhere around 1 and hacking a reinforced loot chest is testing my patience.

Hint: If you perk into lockpicks you usually never are out of lockpicks again.

57 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Sounds to me like an exploit base. The only true way is to have your horde base styled after medieval castles with a narrow access way where soldiers could send tar or arrows into the closely packed attackers running through that funnel.  😁

Well  traders bases are similiar  😂 damn... medieval castles were so complexed XD it would be hell to make something like that in 7dtd XD and.... no boiling oil no fun ;/

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

Please tell us how high you usually have your miner69er perk?

If I don't perk into strength MY miner69er is somewhere around 1 and hacking a reinforced loot chest is testing my patience.

Hint: If you perk into lockpicks you usually never are out of lockpicks again.

It's a rare game that I don't max out miner 69er.  While I sometimes play with friends, I more often play solo, so mining becomes a necessity.  Given that, and the fact that I always have my pick-axe with me, lockpicks become a waste of inventory space and thus, the perk becomes a waste of points.  The only reason I could ever see speccing into lockpicking is if you a) don't want to do any mining, AND b) have someone else to do the mining for you.  Yes, there are alternative means to obtain cobblestone and cement, but no efficient alternatives present themselves for the acquisition of nitrate, coal, oil shale or lead, which is why both A and B must be true to pass on miner69er.

Also, you'll note that I originally said the entire skill needs a re-work.  Were it possible to open locked doors with lockpicks, I might change my opinion.  Unlikely, but conceivable.  The fact that bashing locked doors is the only way to open them means that my pick-axe (I hate the sledge hammer) is always with me, negating any value that might be had from lockpicks.

Edited by Velvet Jones (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Velvet Jones said:

It's a rare game that I don't max out miner 69er.  While I sometimes play with friends, I more often play solo, so mining becomes a necessity.  Given that, and the fact that I always have my pick-axe with me, lockpicks become a waste of inventory space and thus, the perk becomes a waste of points.  The only reason I could ever see speccing into lockpicking is if you a) don't want to do any mining, AND b) have someone else to do the mining for you.  Yes, there are alternative means to obtain cobblestone and cement, but no efficient alternatives present themselves for the acquisition of nitrate, coal, oil shale or lead, which is why both A and B must be true to pass on miner69er.

Nitrate, coal and lead? A single player can get all the ammo he needs from the trader and quests (at least in A20). Even oil shale is now available from chemist sets in many POIs.

So I would agree if you had used "OR" above.

1 hour ago, Velvet Jones said:

Also, you'll note that I originally said the entire skill needs a re-work.  Were it possible to open locked doors with lockpicks, I might change my opinion.  Unlikely, but conceivable.  The fact that bashing locked doors is the only way to open them means that my pick-axe (I hate the sledge hammer) is always with me, negating any value that might be had from lockpicks.

All the pois have a way through them that is bashing-free. The few times I need a pickaxe can very well be inefficient without losing me much time.

I guess technically Charismatic Nature would be my most useless skill since I only play solo. But because I only play solo I didn't vote for it, since I've never used that skill I really can't judge it.

Animal tracker came in at the #1 useless skill for me. Yay! I now know the location of an animal I can already see ....

#2 would be Javelin Master. I used spears when they first came out, and while nothing is really wrong with them I just found them boring to fight with. They do just what they should, which is allow you to attack while the zombie is far enough away that it can not hit you back. But *poke poke poke* was just a boring way to fight in my opinion. And throwing my weapon away each time I wanted to power attack was unnerving at best.

#3 would be Infiltrator. For the most part, everything that skill does can be done by simply paying attention to your surroundings. Maybe on a pvp server picking up mines and placing them somewhere else that a player would step on might be useful? I still wouldn't take it though. And a single skill book makes all mines a non issue anyway.

Controversially (at least from this tread and several YouTube videos I've watched), I actually don't have a problem with Pack Mule, in fact I like it. On one of my heavy armor strength/fort playthroughs I liked having it maxed out as that meant I could use other mods in place of armor pocket mods. That said, I do rarely take Pack Mule as there are so many other skills I want, especially in early to mid game.

EDIT: Come to think of it, is Treasure Hunter even worth it? Seems like the last few times I've done the buried supplies quests they've been nerfed so hard that picking through random trash on the streets yields just as much. And 30% more treasure from almost nothing is still nothing. Maybe I just had bad rng on the ones I've tried, dunno.

Edited by Fenris (see edit history)

Another thing to note about the Lockpick skill is that if you play on 25% loot, you won't find any so being able to produce 'em isn't so bad.

I do agree that I see to break more picks with the skill than without. Probably my imagination.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc