Drones have made the 4x4 irrelevant

PinkLed5

Since the 4x4 has the same speed as the motorcycle but consumes more gas and is less maneuverable, the only real reason to even craft it was the extra inventory space.  However, now that we have drones (which I love!) I think 4x4s need some kind of buff to remain relevant.

37 minutes ago, Maharin said:

Can't you still use a drone with the 4x4?

Between myself, the motorcycle, and the drone, I have all the inventory space I need.  Since the 4x4 has a lot of drawbacks and only 1 benefit (more inventory space), why would I ever use the 4x4 and the drone?

I haven't tried the drones yet since I haven't made it that far in game, but I stopped using the gyrocopter and 4x4 back in A17. The motorcycle is all I need. It has less space than the 4x4 but it's easier to maneuver and I hate the gyro controls.

Both the 4x4 and Gyro need to revamped IMO.  I always use bdub's MD-500 and UH-60 mods as replacements for the gyro (which is much much better). I like the controls of both of them, and unlike the gyro and 4x4, each one has something to offer that make them both worth crafting (which is expensive--in a good way). MD is smaller and has less storage, but is faster than the UH. The UH's storage is great for large POIs.

I also never understood why the Motorcycle isn't faster than the 4x4 either. 

4x4 has more torque while the motorcycle has better acceleration but both have the same speed.  This could be a limitation issue that I'm not privvy too as well though.

<vehicle name="vehicle4x4Truck">

<property name="cameraDistance" value="5.5, 7"/>
        <property name="cameraTurnRate" value=".2, .35"/>
        <property name="motorTorqueMinQ" value="5000"/>
        <property name="motorTorqueMaxQ" value="5000"/>

<property name="brakeTorque" value="5000"/>
        <property name="upAngleMax" value="70"/>
        <property name="upForce" value="1"/>
        <property name="steerRate" value="130"/>
        <property name="steerCenteringRate" value="90"/>
        <property name="tiltAngleMax" value="80"/>
        <property name="tiltThreshold" value="3"/>
        <property name="tiltDampening" value=".22"/>
        <property name="tiltDampenThreshold" value="8"/>
        <property name="tiltUpForce" value="0"/>
        <property name="unstickForce" value="1"/>
        <property name="velocityMax" value="9, 14"/>
        <property name="waterDrag_y_velScale_velMaxScale" value="1.8, .9, .1"/>
        <property name="wheelPtlScale" value="1"/>

<vehicle name="vehicleMotorcycle">

<property name="cameraDistance" value="3.5, 5"/>
        <property name="cameraTurnRate" value=".2, .35"/>
        <property name="motorTorqueMinQ" value="3000"/>
        <property name="motorTorqueMaxQ" value="3000"/>

<property name="brakeTorque" value="4000"/>
        <property name="upAngleMax" value="70"/>
        <property name="upForce" value="1"/>
        <property name="steerRate" value="130"/>
        <property name="steerCenteringRate" value="90"/>
        <property name="tiltAngleMax" value="20"/>
        <property name="tiltThreshold" value="3"/>
        <property name="tiltDampening" value=".22"/>
        <property name="tiltDampenThreshold" value="8"/>
        <property name="tiltUpForce" value="5"/>
        <property name="hopForce" value="1, .8"/>
        <property name="unstickForce" value="1"/>
        <property name="velocityMax" value="9, 14"/>
        <property name="waterDrag_y_velScale_velMaxScale" value="1.7, .9, .1"/>
        <property name="wheelPtlScale" value="1"/>

I'm currently using the 4x4 and the drone and don't see a problem with it.  I personally find the 4x4 to be better than the motorcycle so maybe I'm just biased.  The 4x4 has better handling because it is far less likely to spin out randomly or flip.  The extra storage is nice because I can go out on longer loot runs.  The drone's storage is just for me to help carry loot back to the 4x4 to empty out.  

I personally prefer moto and the drone, I go on a lvl 5 mission with a drone as I will surely lack inventory space while clearing it out, but as soon as I'll get out of the quest, I'll just unload all I can into the moto and drive away as speed is crucial especially if you've got 2 hours until dusk and the blood moon coming.

7 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

The 4x4 has better handling because it is far less likely to spin out randomly or flip.

Sure, if you're in an open area.  If you're driving through an area with a lot of obstacles, e.g. buildings, trees, etc., it's a pain in the proverbial donkey.  A20 cities have a lot of alleyways and construction zones that just aren't traversable in the 4x4.  It's advantages are extremely limited and not worth the cost in resources, namely, gasoline.  It's a gas guzzler!

9 hours ago, Sal said:

Both the 4x4 and Gyro need to revamped IMO.

The gyro copter is a godsend.  I respect your opinion, but it doesn't belong in this conversation.  It's advantages far outweigh any disadvantages.  For example, it can go anywhere quickly because it's not terrain dependent.  Ground vehicles suck on mountains and I'll find myself driving around mountains instead of over them, which is a time waster.  I use the motorcycle for local transportation and the gyro for longer trips.  Love my gyro!

been using the 4x4 and a drone in my current play-though!!!

Having the drone just means i need to visit the 4x4 less times in mid poi so its still of a great benefit time/storage wise.
And the 4x4 with mods extra gas tank and fuel efficient mod makes gas go a long way even on full tit.
Have both on my gyro and will now fly 3 or 4 Km on a quarter tank of gas.
Really have to that the devs for these a20 additives. Thxs dev's.

So I have to disagree with OP statement.... and consider all rides got the upgrades they needed in A20.

Edited by Fightingchook
add upgraded gyro profomance. (see edit history)

3 hours ago, PinkLed5 said:

I use the motorcycle for local transportation and the gyro for longer trips.  Love my gyro!

Preach it, brother! Weekly map-wide trader circuits require the gyro. Takes a fraction of the time to fly between 7 traders vs. driving roads or taking your chances off-road.

13 hours ago, Darthjake said:

Larger hit box for gathering Z's?  I do wish the vehicles would do more damage, especially based on size.  I can see the motorcycle killing chickens and rabbits, but it'd be too risky to hit a Z on one, the 4x4 on the other hand....

Good idea!   You could have speed related stuff going on, lower speed less damage to you/minibike.  Going full speed and you have X % chance of wiping out, flipping end over end and broken legs lol.  And if you are one of those those guys that packs extra gas in your trunk(me),  an X% chance of blowing up in a huge fireballl on a wipeout 🙂

Edited by ChickenWings (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Vampirenostra said:

Yeah, but your love ends with "new fog" so you have more chances to crush a mountain or a building than to complete your journey to the place of interest.)))

Is this actually a thing?  I have never hit a mountain or building, regardless of fog conditions.

3 hours ago, PinkLed5 said:

Sure, if you're in an open area.  If you're driving through an area with a lot of obstacles, e.g. buildings, trees, etc., it's a pain in the proverbial donkey.  A20 cities have a lot of alleyways and construction zones that just aren't traversable in the 4x4.  It's advantages are extremely limited and not worth the cost in resources, namely, gasoline.  It's a gas guzzler!

The only problem I've found navigating the 4x4 through cities is when I want to cut through a fenced area, and it's quick and easy to just chop out the fence in areas you regularly traverse.  The only other time I've had a problem was when I needed to chop out some trees in an area I regularly traversed because the foliage filled the whole area between building so I couldn't see what the heck was in front of me.

As for gas...I regularly have tens of thousands sitting in a box (and I almost never mine shale), so...not an issue for me.

What it sounds like is the the 4x4 still is relevant in its usage, and every other Motored transportation have a nich they fill.......almost like the drone is not even a part of balancing inventory space with your mode of transportation......in fact its seems the intent of the drone was to just increase YOUR inventory as you go around.
I feel you misinterpreting the intent of the drone.....it was an extension of you the player, not another boost to vehicles  or such.
So this topic is irrelevant to the general balance of the game, then again, This is just my Opinion too. (though bias's and more logical in my argument)

Also I carry my motor cycle in the 4x4 (it takes one slot) to then use to rush to my horde base if i had a Gyro same thing, heck carry both then? right?
Fuel is never an issue, especially if you mine it, (talking normal loot % here too NOT 300% or more %)  Heck funny enough most motors could burn several types of grown food oils/alcohols with little to not change to them (yes this is a thing already proven). Gas mileage may vary but it is a thing.  Yet you cant grow your gas in the game, but you dont need too.

where is my farm animal stuff? I want chicken tamed, eggs man, I want more eggs!

15 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

Yeah, but your love ends with "new fog" so you have more chances to crush a mountain or a building than to complete your journey to the place of interest.)))

Have you tried flying higher? I've never once hit a mountain or a tree, even when I can see only 2ft in front of me. You have a compass, quick waypoints, and a ceiling in the world, use them for navigation!

Well at least the 4x4 doesn't position itself in front of my face all the time. 

Drone is a bit of a fail for me for that reason.  I've used it a fair bit and too many times it has flown in my face at just the wrong time.  One wasted swing is not a big deal when chopping trees or digging etc but when it flies in my face as I'm shooting, the bullets just seem to vanish.  It hasn't killed me yet but I figure it's only a matter of time.

If it's hover altitude was raised to be just over my head instead of at eye level, I would use it all the time.  Probably I can adjust this in a cfg file but I haven't gone looking for it yet.

Anyway...4x4 still very much relevant for this survivor.

10 hours ago, Enlonwhite said:

Heck funny enough most motors could burn several types of grown food oils/alcohols with little to not change to them (yes this is a thing already proven). Gas mileage may vary but it is a thing.  Yet you cant grow your gas in the game, but you dont need too.

We used to be able to make Gas from...grain alchohol that was made from corn, I think?  It's been a long time and it was never something that was really necessary, so I don't recall exactly how it was made, but I remember it being a thing (Google seems to say grain alcohol and animal fat,)

sighs....   Must be nice having a drone.   its still a unicorn in My game,  just a Myth    *red-faced*  YOU"RE ALL LIEING,  THERE IS NO DRONE !!!  *breaks down into muffled sobs*    LOL   Seriously though,    been trying all sorts of things,  forays into Wasteland for a Day or Two of "Loot and Sneak"  through some POI's.  chomping eye kandy before opening any sizeable stash,  and always wearing loot goggles.   My loot stage has been boosted at times to  260-ish range,  and still no drone yet.  I have EVERY SINGLE drone schematic purchased;  but feels mostly like coins thrown into a fountain, cause ....THERE IS NO DRONE!!!!!!!

*chuckles*  One day....one day !!!

OH!...I forgot to add.   Motorcycle for Me as transport.  I have Mine now equipped in  Passion Purple,  with Fog Lights,  Vehicle speed mod, and the vehicle Fuel saver mod. --- dah dah dat dah da...Lovin It. 

But it would be cool if they made a "saddlebags" mod for it,  to add a small bit of extra storage.

*slides goggles on, and slips in the soundtrack  for "Born to be Wild"  -- kicks the peg up and roars off*

7 minutes ago, PoppaSmirk said:

sighs....   Must be nice having a drone.   its still a unicorn in My game,  just a Myth    *red-faced*  YOU"RE ALL LIEING,  THERE IS NO DRONE !!!  *breaks down into muffled sobs*    LOL   Seriously though,    been trying all sorts of things,  forays into Wasteland for a Day or Two of "Loot and Sneak"  through some POI's.  chomping eye kandy before opening any sizeable stash,  and always wearing loot goggles.   My loot stage has been boosted at times to  260-ish range,  and still no drone yet.  I have EVERY SINGLE drone schematic purchased;  but feels mostly like coins thrown into a fountain, cause ....THERE IS NO DRONE!!!!!!!

*chuckles*  One day....one day !!!

Have you been taking robotic parts and the robotic turrets as you've been finding them? It strikes me as a bit of a wistful juju thing, but some of the Streamers I've been watching have been mentioning that passing over related items seems to make the rng for what they want worse where as when they actually do take the related item what they're looking for starts popping up after not too long.

2 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Have you been taking robotic parts and the robotic turrets as you've been finding them? It strikes me as a bit of a wistful juju thing, but some of the Streamers I've been watching have been mentioning that passing over related items seems to make the rng for what they want worse where as when they actually do take the related item what they're looking for starts popping up after not too long.

I have 29 robotic parts currently stored in My "tech stuff'  box in My base.  I hoard those things like....  umm...like....  a squirrel hoards his nuts   *eyebrow and grin*  I also have stored a level 1 robo turret, and two sledge turrets.   I keep "quentin turretino" My level 4 Robo turret with Me at all times,  so I always have that source of cover fire if I need to make a run to the bathroom during a MP game session.  *grin*

I feel compelled to retract my previous statement in regards to the motorcycle and 4X4.  I had, in my two previous worlds, spent little time in "downtown" areas because the only large cities in the maps I had generated were in the desert, and honestly?  Screw vultures.

The 4X4 works in big cities, but you often have to go around, whereas the motorcycle can sneak through.  Still use the 4X4 though, but I loot everything and hate scrapping anything that can be smelted.

1 hour ago, PoppaSmirk said:

I have 29 robotic parts currently stored in My "tech stuff'  box in My base.  I hoard those things like....  umm...like....  a squirrel hoards his nuts   *eyebrow and grin*  I also have stored a level 1 robo turret, and two sledge turrets.   I keep "quentin turretino" My level 4 Robo turret with Me at all times,  so I always have that source of cover fire if I need to make a run to the bathroom during a MP game session.  *grin*

And you have the schematic per:

1 hour ago, PoppaSmirk said:

I have EVERY SINGLE drone schematic purchased;

Why not craft one?