Idea to fix A20 farming

bloodmoth13

18 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

Yes, living off the land resolves this problem entirely, but it shouldnt be mandatory to engage in farming.

I disagree with this premise and therefore the whole idea that anything needs to be fixed. You can plant seeds and harvest crops without any perks. That shows a rudimentary knowledge of growing things. It is fair and with what you find and can purchase and are gifted from quests you will have enough seeds to do a lot of planting and harvesting over the course of the game without ever spending a single point in Living off the Land.

By spending one single point you can create self sustaining farms if that is what you want to do. That is a very easy and small investment: One Single Point.

Frankly, they should do the same thing with harvesting meat from animals and make what you cut from the animal have a 50% chance of being rotten flesh and then for every rank you buy in huntsman your chances of getting good meat go up.

I would love to see some improvements and depth returned to farming but they don't need to fix the current state where unperked individuals can plant seeds and grow crops and harvest fruit that they can then use in recipes while perked individuals can get self-sustaining farms established. All of it is engaging in farming but just the degree varies.

19 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Farming gets you the good stuff constantly. Looting/buying/hunting doesn´t do that. That´s why points are needed. For the good stuff that gives you a stamina bonus, lasts longer, heals more and even can give you an attribute bonus with the sham chowder. 

It just a few points. Fortitude is something where points should be put in anyways, no matter wich build you play.

It´s a good system, those few points you need really don´t hurt. Not at all. I do play survivalist and i don´t miss those points.

With fertilizer you would have a net gain of 4 guaranteed per seed. That´s infinite food with no skill invested. As we had in A19 and even more effective.  

Not gonna happen. TFP doesn´t want that. If you want to suggest a new method, it needs to be in a way that a guaranteed net gain needs skill points.  

Fertilizer isn't free though! You are turning one resource into another, if you can't farm fertilizer materials you are not getting bonuses, which means trading time and resources for food, which is exactly what the cost for food should be. There is still a cost that you seem to be intentionally ignoring, you can't grow bones, nitrate and rotten meat in a farm plot, you still need to loot or harvest them

I don´t ignore that. It´s still free food. All the things you need for fertilizer are things you would collect anyways. It´s not a real cost. Bones and rotten meat come from the same source.  And that is not an infinite source btw. Your method would bring up severe problems for multiplayer. Especially on servers with up to 50 people.

Nitrate is something you mine anyways, the part you need for fertilizer is small compared to what you need for gunpowder. 

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

I disagree with this premise and therefore the whole idea that anything needs to be fixed. You can plant seeds and harvest crops without any perks. That shows a rudimentary knowledge of growing things. It is fair and with what you find and can purchase and are gifted from quests you will have enough seeds to do a lot of planting and harvesting over the course of the game without ever spending a single point in Living off the Land.

By spending one single point you can create self sustaining farms if that is what you want to do. That is a very easy and small investment: One Single Point.

Frankly, they should do the same thing with harvesting meat from animals and make what you cut from the animal have a 50% chance of being rotten flesh and then for every rank you buy in huntsman your chances of getting good meat go up.

I would love to see some improvements and depth returned to farming but they don't need to fix the current state where unperked individuals can plant seeds and grow crops and harvest fruit that they can then use in recipes while perked individuals can get self-sustaining farms established. All of it is engaging in farming but just the degree varies.

So you think food should be more scarce but infinite free food from one point in living off the land is perfectly fine?

I just don't understand this mindset! Currently it's very easy to get infinite free food like everyone keeps reminding me with 1 point in living off the land. THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM

I am not advocating infinite free food with little investment, I want efficient farming to cost fertilizer which takes existing valuable materials and requires them to get decent returns. Living off the land gets you tons of food for no cost which just deletes food scarcity.

Fertilizer removes food scarcity at an ongoing cost that scales with your farm size.

Making seeds cost efficient off the bat might seem like I'm advocating free infinite food but if you really think getting 6 crops from 5 and 3 harvests over, what, 6 hours is going to remove all of your food problems I really don't think you understand what I am suggesting. That will almost never remove your food problems in the game, but it will make seeds profitable for desperate players.

Also wanna add that you not really have to invest any time on getting rotten meat/bones. You get that by questing wich we do anyways all the time. Once you reach T5 you have dogs and birds in every quest location. T4 already has a lot of them and in T2 and T3 you just need to know wich locations to take when questing.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Just now, pApA^LeGBa said:

I don´t ignore that. It´s still free food. All the things you need for fertilizer are things you would collect anyways. It´s not a real cost. Bones and rotten meat come from the same source.  And that is not an infinite source btw. Your method would bring up severe problems for multiplayer. Especially on servers with up to 50 people.

Nitrate is something you mine anyways, the part you need for fertilizer is small compared to what you need for gunpowder. 

Those resources are used elsewhere, you would be trading glue and gunpowder for fertilizer, and if you are already swimming in those materials I highly doubt that food scarcity is an issue in your game.

It's still not free, food needs to be available but not too abundant and the healthiest way to control that is to make it take time and or resources to create. It has a cost it's not free, you are trading one resource for another, it is a dishonest statement that is equivalent to saying that food is free at the traders because you are collecting dukes anyway.

1 minute ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Also wanna add that you not really have to invest any time on getting rotten meat/bones. You get that by questing wich we do anyways all the time. Once you reach T5 you have dogs and birds in every quest location. T4 already has a lot of them and in T2 and T3 you just need to know wich locations to take when questing.

Food scarcity shouldn't be an issue if you are doing t5s

Food scarcity is not an issue at all in this game. You don´t need farming. It´s basically a nice to have. Not a must have. There is more animals than ever before now. More farm POI`s than in any other alpha. That´s why i have no issues at all with a cost of skillpoints for a guaranteed net gain.

Also one point isn´t enough, you need lots of luck to get a self sustaining farm with one point in Lotl. 2 points is what you need for that. And 3 points can give you enough food to get rich with selling it at the trader. 

And the snow biome is always full of meat, you can go hunting there pretty early if you are cautios enough, no need to tough, there is enough in the other biomes.  

And again, they changed the system because you could get infinite food with no skill point. And you suggest a new method that doesn´t need skillpoints either. No matter what you think it costs in ressources changes that fact (that ressources are basically "free" not really but it´s not really an effort to get them, you don´t need to do any extra work for it). The whole point TFP wanted to achieve is gating it behind a perk.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Hi,

I seen no issues with farming in a20 after getting the 3X Living Off the Land perk.

Yes, different then other alphas but not broken.

I kinda enjoyed the randomness of crop harvesting in a20 now. Before a20, seemed like such a bore as constant 100% accurate prediction harvests was zzz.

If anything, would like to see farming removed in this game because once sustainable farming is achieved.. no more hunger pains.

IMHO, the "fix to farming" is to make farming harder and food storage difficult:

1. Harvests that rot if not harvested in time

2. Infestation to destroy crops

3. Bandits to steal stored food/water

4. Spoilage

"Fixing farming" is NOT going back to old alpha methods, IMHO.

$(7D2D)  != $(Stardew Valley)

Honestly adjusting the xml file to leave the seedling in the ground after harvest has been a sanity saver.  We frankly don't even care what they do to farming any more since its a meaningless part of the game for our group.  Sure we will happily go out and kill literally hundreds of animals weekly to feed 5 people to make stews, not for the meat.  Oh no.  But for the lopsided fat drop rate that is required for any food that is worth 2 spits.  We are tossing meat out the window half the time and just want the fat to make stuff.  And yes, harvesting skills are maxed.

So use a mod or just edit the xml file to adjust the game to something a bit closer to sanity, like keeping the crop in the ground.  Then the devs can do whatever they want with future patches and it won't matter to you.

7 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

Hi,

I seen no issues with farming in a20 after getting the 3X Living Off the Land perk.

Yes, different then other alphas but not broken.

I kinda enjoyed the randomness of crop harvesting in a20 now. Before a20, seemed like such a bore as constant 100% accurate prediction harvests was zzz.

If anything, would like to see farming removed in this game because once sustainable farming is achieved.. no more hunger pains.

IMHO, the "fix to farming" is to make farming harder and food storage difficult:

1. Harvests that rot if not harvested in time

2. Infestation to destroy crops

3. Bandits to steal stored food/water

4. Spoilage

"Fixing farming" is NOT going back to old alpha methods, IMHO.

$(7D2D)  != $(Stardew Valley)

You didn't read op did you?

I suggest you do because my solution was never reverting to old alphas.

Lotl3 is free infinite food that removes food economy, my suggestion fixed that by requiring a constant cost for farming that requires harvesting other materials

4 minutes ago, Orclover said:

Honestly adjusting the xml file to leave the seedling in the ground after harvest has been a sanity saver.  We frankly don't even care what they do to farming any more since its a meaningless part of the game for our group.  Sure we will happily go out and kill literally hundreds of animals weekly to feed 5 people to make stews, not for the meat.  Oh no.  But for the lopsided fat drop rate that is required for any food that is worth 2 spits.  We are tossing meat out the window half the time and just want the fat to make stuff.  And yes, harvesting skills are maxed.

So use a mod or just edit the xml file to adjust the game to something a bit closer to sanity, like keeping the crop in the ground.  Then the devs can do whatever they want with future patches and it won't matter to you.

I don't want infinite food though, read op.

I want early game seed economy to make sense for players that don't have living off the land, and I want an ongoing cost for efficient farming.

Farming is broken without living off the land as seeds cost more than they produce and are a trap investment. Also once you have living off the land food is beyond sustainable and it is very easy to have free infinite food, which means hunger is never a danger. Having a cost for good harvests means capping how much excess food you can create.

1 hour ago, bloodmoth13 said:

Also once you have living off the land food is beyond sustainable and it is very easy to have free infinite food, which means hunger is never a danger. Having a cost for good harvests means capping how much excess food you can create.

The whole game is like that. Are you going to say you go through the entire game without putting any points into Strength? or Health? Or Intellect?

Yes, you MUST become stronger and  inteligent as the game progresses, this is called EVOLUTION.

Do you complain when you become strong enough and fight zombies effortlessly instead of avoiding them? Don't you get "too strong" for them too?

You are weak at first and become strong later. What is the logic of complaining about difficult farming at the beginning and rewarding after conquering LoT? What's the point of spending a lot of resources and time on fertilizers, if just a few LoT points are enough for your farm to be bountiful?

If you want better health, it's fair to invest in skill

If you want more strength, it's fair to invest in skill

If you want more farming resources, it's fair to invest in the skill as well.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Food scarcity is not an issue at all in this game. You don´t need farming. It´s basically a nice to have. Not a must have.

I fully agree

Edited by DiegoLBC1 (see edit history)

After playing for awhile I don't think the farming really needs any fixing. I just don't bother farming unless I can go 3 of 3 in LotL. In Solo games food doesn't really seem like much of a struggle after the first few days just eating everything I find and boiling or charring meat. In Multi-Player the food pressure is definitely much more noticeable but then it's also easy enough for one person to go Fort first and be the farmer, and it's likely that someone will already also be delegated as the Int first player so it's not like someone having to play a role is unprecedented. It might be arguable that getting the initial seeds could be a challenge except that there appear to be pretty sizable farms scattered all around that can supply plenty of stuff to turn into seeds.

4 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

So you think food should be more scarce but infinite free food from one point in living off the land is perfectly fine?

No. I wasn't saying that. My disagreement with you was limited to your premise that purchasing LotL is mandatory to engage in farming and that should not be. You can do a rudimentary sort of farming as an unskilled character that is perfectly sufficient for creating dishes that can supplement your food. You will have access to some dishes sometimes as your luck with finding seeds dictates. That is a level of engagement with farming that is perfectly fine for spending zero points in farming skills.

By spending one single point your engagement with farming increases by quite a bit. With a lot of work and patience you can get a farm going and to the size needed to all but guarantee its continuance. 

So I do not believe that there is zero engagement with farming before you spend a point and you do not have to invest heavily at all in LotL in order to be able to increase your engagement with it. That is all I am disagreeing with.

I also stated that I'm all for improving farming which means, in my opinion, adding features that will help limit it further from becoming an infinite free food source whether one point two points or three points are spent on LotL. Perhaps your suggestions to this end would be fine. I didn't read past the point where you said that farming needed to be fixed because it shouldn't be mandatory to spend points to be able to engage in farming.

As I said, I would love for meat harvesting to get a nerf as well. I don't want infinite food sources but I also don't think that the player should have to worry about starvation for the entire length of the game. There should be a point where the food crisis is solved and the player can focus on other things. I wouldn't mind occasional events that could throw the player for a loop like something destroying the farm or a player's store of food so that you have to recover from that.

2 hours ago, Whorhay said:

After playing for awhile I don't think the farming really needs any fixing. I just don't bother farming unless I can go 3 of 3 in LotL. In Solo games food doesn't really seem like much of a struggle after the first few days just eating everything I find and boiling or charring meat. In Multi-Player the food pressure is definitely much more noticeable but then it's also easy enough for one person to go Fort first and be the farmer, and it's likely that someone will already also be delegated as the Int first player so it's not like someone having to play a role is unprecedented. It might be arguable that getting the initial seeds could be a challenge except that there appear to be pretty sizable farms scattered all around that can supply plenty of stuff to turn into seeds.

Yea solo it was meaningless to have farming unless you wanted to spend all your seeds for extra food instead of a actual food source.  But with groups of people hitting the environment at once then suddenly a cooperative farm plan became a massive necessity. We ran out of food FAST.  Not enough meat to go around, not enough canned goods to go around and with the revamped insanity hunger system we had people screaming about starving every hour.  Thankfully it also meant we could cooperate to get a farm up faster and make it BIG.  I got delegated to farmer since I was going punch build anyways, everybody kicked in every seed they found and all the spoiled meat they could find.  We had guys digging already for clay.  So by the end of the first week we had 30 or so farm plots all growing something.  Hunger was mostly gone for all of us by then with the designated cook just cranking out stews from the hunter and my farm.  But those first few days were rough with all of us eating everything, had to keep disciplined to not eat the veggies till we had enough seeds.

Thank god we edited the xml for seeds staying in the ground or we would have to devote even more time to keeping the fridges full.  None of our players want to spend all night doing that.  They want to do their pet projects or run Tier 5 POI's over and over, not play the hunger mini-game.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

No. I wasn't saying that. My disagreement with you was limited to your premise that purchasing LotL is mandatory to engage in farming and that should not be. You can do a rudimentary sort of farming as an unskilled character that is perfectly sufficient for creating dishes that can supplement your food. You will have access to some dishes sometimes as your luck with finding seeds dictates. That is a level of engagement with farming that is perfectly fine for spending zero points in farming skills.

By spending one single point your engagement with farming increases by quite a bit. With a lot of work and patience you can get a farm going and to the size needed to all but guarantee its continuance. 

So I do not believe that there is zero engagement with farming before you spend a point and you do not have to invest heavily at all in LotL in order to be able to increase your engagement with it. That is all I am disagreeing with.

I also stated that I'm all for improving farming which means, in my opinion, adding features that will help limit it further from becoming an infinite free food source whether one point two points or three points are spent on LotL. Perhaps your suggestions to this end would be fine. I didn't read past the point where you said that farming needed to be fixed because it shouldn't be mandatory to spend points to be able to engage in farming.

As I said, I would love for meat harvesting to get a nerf as well. I don't want infinite food sources but I also don't think that the player should have to worry about starvation for the entire length of the game. There should be a point where the food crisis is solved and the player can focus on other things. I wouldn't mind occasional events that could throw the player for a loop like something destroying the farm or a player's store of food so that you have to recover from that.

Well read my original post beyond that point, skip to my 'solution' and see if you agree. My goal is to have seeds go back to being profitable (they cost time already that should be enough) but just barely, and shifting the profitability to fertilizer, which add ongoing cost to replenishing food stocks. 

I agree that food shouldnt be overly abundant but it needs to be accessible as playing the game with zero food is just painful, but forcing a player to focus on getting food over weapons or building material should be enough.

9 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

You like a20 farming as is? Is that with perk investment or without? Because without investment crafting seeds will generally lose you food whereas with lotl it's just the same as A19 with infinite food and nothing actually changed

I have lotl fully upgraded and yeah I have more than enough food, but still need to invest something to get that said food and thats nice as it is. You just can't balance out farming without food spoilage, cause no matter how hard they make it to get seeds or crops, just build more farm pots and you're fine again. Thats why I'm fine with it and you should too. this game isn't about super realistic farming, it's about fighting zombie hordes.

Just now, Diragor said:

I have lotl fully upgraded and yeah I have more than enough food, but still need to invest something to get that said food and thats nice as it is. You just can't balance out farming without food spoilage, cause no matter how hard they make it to get seeds or crops, just build more farm pots and you're fine again. Thats why I'm fine with it and you should too. this game isn't about super realistic farming, it's about fighting zombie hordes.

I dont think food spoilage would fix all the issues, but it sure as hell would make things super clunky and likely force really bad gaming habits where the game decides when you play it instead of the other way around. 

Having to build a fridge and a canning station though would thematically feel like good milestones for the game, and being able to craft tinned food would be cool. 

I think i like the concept of it far more than i would like the reality of it.

The only problem with farming imo is that there is simply no cost for producing large quantities of food, the only cost is set up costs and meager perk investment and you have pretty much infinite food. With fertilizer as a secondary cost you need to balance how much fertilizer you have with seeds, so turning your 100 corn into 20 seeds if you can only craft 10 fertilizer would be wasteful, and it would also put pressure on only focusing on the most needed crops rather than everything and you would be trading resources from glue and gunpowder and whatever recipes use rotten meat.

12 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Food scarcity is not an issue at all in this game. You don´t need farming. It´s basically a nice to have. Not a must have. There is more animals than ever before now. More farm POI`s than in any other alpha. That´s why i have no issues at all with a cost of skillpoints for a guaranteed net gain.

Also one point isn´t enough, you need lots of luck to get a self sustaining farm with one point in Lotl. 2 points is what you need for that. And 3 points can give you enough food to get rich with selling it at the trader. 

Not really. 1 point in LotL and finding only 1 seed for the whole game would involve lots of luck and time, 2 seeds a moderate amount of luck and time, 3 seeds some luck and time, ... Mostly it is more time the less seeds you have to experiment with.

12 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

And the snow biome is always full of meat, you can go hunting there pretty early if you are cautios enough, no need to tough, there is enough in the other biomes.  

And again, they changed the system because you could get infinite food with no skill point. And you suggest a new method that doesn´t need skillpoints either. No matter what you think it costs in ressources changes that fact (that ressources are basically "free" not really but it´s not really an effort to get them, you don´t need to do any extra work for it). The whole point TFP wanted to achieve is gating it behind a perk.

6 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

I dont think food spoilage would fix all the issues, but it sure as hell would make things super clunky and likely force really bad gaming habits where the game decides when you play it instead of the other way around. 

Having to build a fridge and a canning station though would thematically feel like good milestones for the game, and being able to craft tinned food would be cool. 

I think i like the concept of it far more than i would like the reality of it.

The only problem with farming imo is that there is simply no cost for producing large quantities of food, the only cost is set up costs and meager perk investment and you have pretty much infinite food. With fertilizer as a secondary cost you need to balance how much fertilizer you have with seeds, so turning your 100 corn into 20 seeds if you can only craft 10 fertilizer would be wasteful, and it would also put pressure on only focusing on the most needed crops rather than everything and you would be trading resources from glue and gunpowder and whatever recipes use rotten meat.

Your fertilizer scheme is a possible method, no question. And by changing the returns of fertilized ground one could even add the feature that LotL 0 does not allow a self-sufficient farm. Which is something the developers seem to want and you desperately don't want as you consider it broken that way. Unless you can convince them that one of their current design goals with farming is wrong you already have lost no matter what your scheme does

One disadvantage may be that fertilizer needs one bit in world blocks reserved for recording the "fertilized" state, a very scarce and expensive resource. This may have been part of the reason to remove fertilizer and the old way of farming and my guess is that that alone is a hard sell (unless there is an easy alternative available).

Another disadvantage from my point is that fertilizer makes farming even more work (producing fertilizer and fertilizing). A point TFP might actually like and that would probably appeal to Roland as well. At the moment more work would make farming so unappealing that most players would not bother anymore. Naturally that can be corrected by balancing meat resources.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

14 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I had a 20 plot farm and 10 mushrooms, took me not even 2 mins every 2 hours and i had enough food for 3 people at least.

We have a dedicated farmer in our world, never once complained about replanting. We have over 30 of every crop aside from mushrooms and a massive farm.

People are way too whiny about farming for literally no reason. "Oh no, mah food that that i don't have to hunt for, and that i have to do manual labor for!"

Edited by Darklegend222 (see edit history)

Personally, I think that this argument is basically the same as the people complaining about the "insane hunger", etc. etc.

Instead of adapting to the game they want the game to adapt to them.

I will admit, when I first read about the farming changes I was concerned, but after playing with them for a while, I learned to adapt.

I will admit,  I'm not overly fond of the farming activity now.  The unpredictable nature of it when just at LOTL1 and LOTL2 was frustrating.  I just recently boosted up to LOTL3 because it was totally necessary for Me at least.  At LoTL2 I was able to have an overall positive gain,  but by My 5th or 6th harvest My crops were dwindling again,  as I had tried running 6 plots for Corn,  6 for potatoes,  4 blueberry,  4 pumpkin, 5 Mushroom,  3 Coffee, 3 Aloe vera.  My 6th harvest saw Me having to only have enough pumpkin to replant 2 seeds,  Blueberries down to 3 seeds,  Mushrooms had dwindled to 3 spores replanted and the potatoes actually gave only a single seed back out of 6 plots.  So crafting 5 new seeds left me a yield of only 2 potatoes.    Now,  I can respect the work on the farming system,  but in trying to handle the farming chores for a group of four players,  I wasn't fond of feeling FORCED to place every point earned for my last 3 level ups,  into only FORT and then Farming to get LOTL3.  So, can I handle it?  yes, I can and I did.  Was it frustrating,  yes, and turning farming into less of a desirable use of My play time.  So,  its a mixed bag for Me,  I "get it"  that the previous Infinite farm system was too generous. I am applauding the changes to make LOTL2 at least viable; but just combined with other issues such as not being able to craft a chem station due to 35 days in-game and only finding a grand total of 5 acid between 3-4 people searching (we used two acid to make tires to get a minibike),  Just a lot of smaller frustrations in the game mechanics and I haven't been overly "joyous" to have farming turn into such a headache.  I suppose that I've simply come to expect My "dread to come from wandering hordes"  not from,  "oh lord,  time to harvest again"

31 minutes ago, PoppaSmirk said:

I will admit,  I'm not overly fond of the farming activity now.  The unpredictable nature of it when just at LOTL1 and LOTL2 was frustrating.  I just recently boosted up to LOTL3 because it was totally necessary for Me at least.  At LoTL2 I was able to have an overall positive gain,  but by My 5th or 6th harvest My crops were dwindling again,  as I had tried running 6 plots for Corn,  6 for potatoes,  4 blueberry,  4 pumpkin, 5 Mushroom,  3 Coffee, 3 Aloe vera.  My 6th harvest saw Me having to only have enough pumpkin to replant 2 seeds,  Blueberries down to 3 seeds,  Mushrooms had dwindled to 3 spores replanted and the potatoes actually gave only a single seed back out of 6 plots.  So crafting 5 new seeds left me a yield of only 2 potatoes.    Now,  I can respect the work on the farming system,  but in trying to handle the farming chores for a group of four players,  I wasn't fond of feeling FORCED to place every point earned for my last 3 level ups,  into only FORT and then Farming to get LOTL3.  So, can I handle it?  yes, I can and I did.  Was it frustrating,  yes, and turning farming into less of a desirable use of My play time.  So,  its a mixed bag for Me,  I "get it"  that the previous Infinite farm system was too generous. I am applauding the changes to make LOTL2 at least viable; but just combined with other issues such as not being able to craft a chem station due to 35 days in-game and only finding a grand total of 5 acid between 3-4 people searching (we used two acid to make tires to get a minibike),  Just a lot of smaller frustrations in the game mechanics and I haven't been overly "joyous" to have farming turn into such a headache.  I suppose that I've simply come to expect My "dread to come from wandering hordes"  not from,  "oh lord,  time to harvest again"

I think your bigger problem is playing with 3 other mates who aren't helping you with farming. As the perked player it should be you harvesting and crafting seeds but then you should just stick the seeds in a container and let them do all the planting.

It might also be better for you to stay at LOTL 2 and have one or more of them spend a point to get to LOTL 1 and have everyone contribute by creating farms and sharing surplus. Then it isn't one person farming to feed four but two or three people farming to feed four. 

As a team you guys have to talk about the fact that you don't necessarily want to go that deep into Fort so farming isn't going to all be piled on you-- it's going to be shared.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:05 PM, bloodmoth13 said:

So farming will look like this:

Build a farming plot that will cost 10 wood and 50 clay, craft a seed for 5 crops, plant seed into plot.

Without fertilizer the seed will provide 3 total harvests that will only yield 2 crop per harvest for a total of 6 crops for a net gain of 1 crop

With fertilizer added after planting the seed, you will add +1 per harvest, increasing the yield to 9 crops total over 3 harvests for 1 seed for a net gain of 4 crops 

Living off the land will increase the harvest for fertilized crops by 1/2/3, and will also reduce the cost of fertilizer 10%/20%/40%.

I don't have a problem with this model. If TFP were to switch to this I wouldn't be mad. If a mod was made that changed farming to this I would definitely check it out.

I also think the current model is fine. I'd have to actually play both to decide which I like better and would prefer.

As far as spoilage, I think an ongoing spoilage mechanic that is a timer would be too hard to implement. I've been thinking a lot about an idea that on the bloodmoon all uncanned food has a chance to change to spoil. I was even thinking maybe a 30% chance to spoil and a 1% chance to change into some kind of super sludge with cool benefits when used in a recipe...