Idea to fix A20 farming

bloodmoth13

19 hours ago, PoppaSmirk said:

I just took the LoTL3 skill yesterday after finally getting My FORTITUDE stat up to 5 a day earlier.   So I should harvest the first LoTL3 level crops on Day 36,  when We all go back into play it will be prep for Horde Night.     I think my frustration came in feeling that I had no option other than spend My last 3 skill points toward just getting LoTL3.    its been very strange that when I first took LoTL2,  I had a fair surplus,  enough to replant the same number of crops,  with 4 to 9 food items left in each of the crop types.  Then after the 3rd harvest it seemed I was getting less and less seeds back after each replanting.

FYI - Unless I am playing a Fortitude heavy character, I usually just do Fort 4 and get the last increase via the Tough Guy Glasses.  Saves me a perk point at the beginning for something I use more often - though note you have to remember to swap out to the glasses before you harvest to unlock LoTL Level 3 and get its benefits.   Eventually when I got my other stuff maxed out, I will put a point into Fort to get to Level 5 so I don't have to swap out glasses.

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Now I grant you that you selected the most stamina-burning playstyle of all and that could be a large reason why the food balance is out of whack.

People who just shoot the whole horde night or while running through a POI in light armor use a pitiful amount of food while someone (I assume in heavy armor) using a club or sledgehammer for ALL the fighting is really uncommon, I'm not sure the testers inside TFP really did test that. You are not the common case!

You might even record your daily usage of food and explain your play style in a bug report. But I think they might just say working as intended and that such a playstyle needs special focus on food procurement.

Yea fortitude build with max punching and heavy armor sprinting at full speed (perked out for stamina regen!), doing horde night in the street at times with fist only.  I may be burning a few calories. 

47 minutes ago, Orclover said:

Yea fortitude build with max punching and heavy armor sprinting at full speed (perked out for stamina regen!), doing horde night in the street at times with fist only.  I may be burning a few calories. 

Iron Gut maximized or not?

8 hours ago, Orclover said:

Out of 6 players, nobody ever touches that skill.  Matter of principal really.

You play FORT and have a massive food throughput and don't put points in it? Each point in there would reduce the time you spend farming and increase the time between eating, which is a comfort win and an efficiency win.

Veteran players have the problem that they learn things in one alpha (like for example that this and that perk is useless) and then forget that a new alpha may change the rules, I fall into this trap like everyone else. Yes, in previous alphas Iron Gut was a waste of good perk points. This alpha though it may not be in some circumstances, because food production is more expensive now. In your case so expensive that you either have to mod the game or actually invest points there.

Fully buffed Iron Gut means every blueberry pie you eat is worth 60 food instead of 45. Could be better for 5 perk points, but in your case it makes a difference

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I try to spread the skills linearly with the first 4 initial points, eg: 1 point on Tyrannosaurus, 1 point on Dart, 1 point on Archery and 1 point on Iron Gut. Then I put the skills as needed

PS: Sorry, my game uses the Portuguese language, I'm not sure which is the correct reference in English. Later I will change the language and correct this post.

On 1/12/2022 at 3:53 PM, Orclover said:

Were each going through a stack and a half of beef stew/veggie stew per play session on average.  Some (like me) go through 3 stacks easily (melee build at pretty high game stage) a night.

If you're truly eating 30 beef stews a day I can't see how. Even at 90 min days. I play 120 min days, also all melee and only eat 3-4 a day. I think you're wildly exaggerating your actual food intake.

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

If you're truly eating 30 beef stews a day I can't see how.

Your "a day" vs his "per play session" or "night", which I assume is several hours of real time. Several stacks is a lot, put it's plausible given long enough sessions and maybe using it to heal as well.

4 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

If you're truly eating 30 beef stews a day I can't see how. Even at 90 min days. I play 120 min days, also all melee and only eat 3-4 a day. I think you're wildly exaggerating your actual food intake.

A stack is 10, a stack and a half is 15 veggie/beef stews.  Thats 15 per play session, not 90 minutes.  On average.   If we were eating a stack of food every 90 minutes we would edit the XML file again because that would be insane.   But yea about 7 beef and 7 veggie stews in a 6-7 hour game is about right with red tea or mineral water before every meal (honestly thats probably a conservative estimate).  Every tier 5 poi ends up taking a couple stews due to damage taken and all the running around. 

I was kinda disgusted by how much stew and spaghetti I was going through last night but we were running mini-horde nights in wastland hitting the max zombie caps (250) in buildings over and over again by triggering screamers and then clearing them all out (one player in particular was going nuts with it).  We blew a lot of them up of course but I in particular melee a lot of my kills which leads to a lot of damage taken.  Soo much food.

12 hours ago, Orclover said:

A stack is 10, a stack and a half is 15 veggie/beef stews.  Thats 15 per play session, not 90 minutes.  On average.   If we were eating a stack of food every 90 minutes we would edit the XML file again because that would be insane.   But yea about 7 beef and 7 veggie stews in a 6-7 hour game is about right with red tea or mineral water before every meal (honestly thats probably a conservative estimate).  Every tier 5 poi ends up taking a couple stews due to damage taken and all the running around. 

Ah, the Red Tea myth has confused many players it seems, happened to a friend of mine as well. Efficient Digestion doesn't mean you eat better but you use up less food while regenerating stamina.

So you should drink red tea before mining or a fight. Drinking it before a meal does simply waste the buff.

12 hours ago, Orclover said:

I was kinda disgusted by how much stew and spaghetti I was going through last night but we were running mini-horde nights in wastland hitting the max zombie caps (250) in buildings over and over again by triggering screamers and then clearing them all out (one player in particular was going nuts with it).  We blew a lot of them up of course but I in particular melee a lot of my kills which leads to a lot of damage taken.  Soo much food.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Orclover said:

A stack is 10, a stack and a half is 15 veggie/beef stews

He said in his post that his friends were eating a stack and a half and that he was eating three, count that, 3 stacks. Yes I know he's on 90 minute days. I'm on 120 min days. Yes I also read his play session length meant that was 30 stews in 3-3.5 in game days, Almost double my consumption rate. Please actually read what you're responding to.

Edited by JCrook1028
ps, yes I also drink nothing but red tea unless I drink something just to clear out a slot while looting. (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Are you replying to Orc about your quote from Orc and blaming him for not reading his own post, or did I confuse something at some point?

Lol I didn't even look at the name but if he (and apparantly this is the case) doesn't even remember what he said he was eating then YES, I am. He said he was eating 3 stacks a day then when I confront him abut it he then says it was only 1 stack and a half?

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Lol I didn't even look at the name but if he (and apparantly this is the case) doesn't even remember what he said he was eating then YES, I am. He said he was eating 3 stacks a day then when I confront him abut it he then says it was only 1 stack and a half?

But I have gone through 3 stacks of food a night of playing, not average mind you.  Why is that so hard to believe?  Ya know what i honestly don't care if you believe.  

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

Ah, the Red Tea myth has confused many players it seems, happened to a friend of mine as well. Efficient Digestion doesn't mean you eat better but you use up less food while regenerating stamina.

Had no idea it was worthless.  Will pass the info along.

2 hours ago, Orclover said:

Had no idea it was worthless.  Will pass the info along.

For you, especially, it's not worthless! It's just that the buff really only helps when you're expending/recovering stamina. So make sure you trigger the buff when you know you're going to be punching a bunch of zombies. Not when lazing around the base (though if you have enough Red Tea to go around, no reason not to just use it all the time).

You still get the buff even if you 'waste' a Red Tea when you're fully hydrated. So you can use them as sort of Potion of Efficient Digestion too.

I think farming is fine currently. Maybe add a new item to the farm plots' recipe, like fertilizer, and make it kind of rare to find. This automatically limits the possible size of your farm. Spending points in Lotl lets you craft fertilizer yourself eventually (should be expensive, lots of nitrate for example so you need to trade your mining time) and increases crops per harvest. Like this farms stay a possibility to solve starvation problems but instead of having to spend a single skill point only you need either luck and time to find enough fertilizer or invest skill points and expensive materials into it. If a self-sustaining farm is something a player has really earned I have no problems with it giving kind of unlimited food supplies.