How I feel and hope changes are made.

lordderryth

Are you loving A20?  Yes.

Is it challenging? Yes and No.

Do you play Blood Moon? No.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Hey folks,

I've loved this game from day one.  I'm a zombie fanatic.  Unfortunately, I'm not enthusiastic about tower defense.  I've been a long-time avid Madden player since the days of Nintendo. How does Madden play in the role of 7d2d?  Let me explain.  Madden began introducing sliders that allowed players to author realism to the games.  I believe that genre other than sports can be also implemented into realism.  Are zombies real?  Yes and No.   For a 44 year old that grew up to zombie movies, I can assure there is no such thing as zombie dogs.  Where does this all play into?  

If I were to rate 7d2d vanilla I would say 4/10.  If you add mods to the factor, 9/10.  Here are the mods I use to enhance my gameplay and give me a challenge without the tower defense style of blood moon.

• JaxTeller718 Zombie Reach
  • JaxTeller718 Slower Progression
  • JaxTeller718 Nuts & Berries
  • JaxTeller718 Nails
  • JaxTeller718 Jars of Honey
  • JaxTeller718 Increase Zombies x2
  • JaxTeller718 Harsher Death Penalties
  • JaxTeller718 Eggs In Fridges
  • JaxTeller718 Crafting Queue
  • JaxTeller718 Charcoal
  • JaxTeller718 Birds Nest and Trash Destroyed on pickup
  • JaxTeller718 Bigger Wandering Hordes
  • JaxTeller718 Working Devices
  • JaxTeller718 Fiber Cutter
  • JaxTeller718 Normal Zombie Rage Removal
  • Telrics Health Bar v2
  • Telrics Fishing
  • The TFP Raft
  • Ragsy Find Bicycle 
  • Always Seed
  • FaHUD
  • Food & Water Hud
  • 60 Slot Bag, 30 reserved
  • No Animal Ambush
  • Head Shot

Why are you showing us your mods.  This is the wrong section. Simple, because it all plays into why A20 is nothing but a world generator update.  I understand that most of you love blood moon.  I for one am not a fan.  It's short lived and involves building traps and contraptions until the final day when you can't defeat them no more.  For me, I like the long haul and longer game time play.  Explore, loot, kill zombies and build a beautiful impenetrable base.  Let me explain what my gripe is.

1. It's been nearly 9 years and about to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of 7d2d.  The UI still resembles of a 1999 Microsoft Simulator.  TFP not realize that aesthetic is important to a game.  Thanks to SMX, we have a shed of light at the end of the tunnel.  Unfortunately, not ready until after Christmas. 
  2. Shoot a zombie in the leg enough times they die.  Want realism?  Where is the "Only Head Shot" feature in the settings?  What if we want a real apocalypse?  Hasn't traditional lore taught us that zombies can only be killed with a bullet or stab to the brain?
  3. Press B, stats check Hunger and Thirst.  Does this get annoying?  Maybe not for some of you but for me it's tedious.  I like to keep track of my vitals.  Knowing when I'm about to eat or drink is crucial to my survival.  Yea, but you are warned before 50% you're getting thirsty or hungry.  I like to keep myself topped off at all times and see the stats in front of me.  Food & Water Hud simply puts graphs under your health & stamina.  That wasn't so hard, was it?
  4. The lack of zombies.  I wanted to be bombarded with a horde of zombies.  Every corner I turn I want a zombie in my face. When I die, I want to die because I made a simple mistake that cost me my life.  Kinda like what you see in zombie movies.  Cornered yourself in the basement and no exit strategy with 20 zombies headed downstairs to get you?  Do your best to fend them off and escape or you're dead.  How much fun is that?
  5. Zombie's in 7d2d have an incredible reach.  Thanks to Zombie reach mod, you can experience what the lore has always told us about zombies.  Slow, dumb and can barely lift their hands to grab you.  You can walk around zombies without getting hit from 10 feet away.  Yea, but doesn't that make it easy?  With zombies increased x2 with the option of x3 and x4 and being human, bound to make mistakes you think it's easy?  Did I mention I play on insane difficulty?
  6. Why a nuclear attack that turned people into zombies?  I wish there was an option for non-nuclear where the cities looked clean yet still broken in some way by zombie attack with minimal damage. 

I hope you get the idea and where I'm coming from.  I've used these mods to enhance and challenge me on a level that is not Blood Moon.  I also forgot to mention.  All my zombies walk except day and night.  Unfortunately, there is no option to set each zombie.  I would like Spider Zombie and Feral Wight to jog.  The only option is feral zombies and that can be more than challenging on insane difficulty even survivalist.  In the end, zombies shouldn't run PERIOD.  

I hope I haven't triggered anyone as opinions these days usually do.  Just giving my 2 cents and how I feel about 7d2d.  Sure, would love some feedback.  In the end, we are all here to help make 7d2d the best zombie simulator.  If I knew how believe me, I would create a whole new UI that fit with 2021.  Until then, happy Zombie hunting.

Edited by lordderryth (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Treb said:

About point #3, there are already bars for hunger and thirst in the vanilla HUD. There's no number on it, but you can estimate pretty well.

These are so easily missed. I tend to play hard for a few months, go play something else then come back. And each time, I forget about those tiny bars until someone mentions them again. LOL I don't forget anything else about the game, they're just so tiny! Especially if I'm on my laptop.

I'm sure most people are gonna be glad you could make the game appeal to you more using mods. It's almost like TFP themselves encourage modding by making it extremely easy for people to mod. Seriously though. It is great that you can tailor the experience with third party game modifications with ease. Just look at games like Skyrim. Most people who play to this day enhance the experience with modifications. Anyone can argue that adding mods to vanilla would make the game "better" but not everyone wants to tailor their experience to be like yours. I for one do not mod the game because I am satisfied with how it is and how it progresses. There are hundreds if not thousands of others who feel and do the same thing. There is nothing wrong with tailoring the experience for yourself. But fyi, zombies are fiction and can work however the author or visionaries want. Considering they cannot biologically exist in real life there is no reason to confine oneself to how some people may assume they have to work. The final thing I'll say is. The game is what the devs want and I (and many others) simply want to enjoy their vision and see how it pans out. But again. Theres nothing wrong with changing it how you want it to be. This reply is not meant to be rude or attack you either. I just wanted to add my opinion to the mix before others decide to just be plain rude.

Glad you are getting an enhanced experience with mods. We see a future bright with even more mods and ultra-realistic settings available to make the game perfect for almost anyone.

Just a couple of things from me:

1) The game launched on kickstarter in summer of 2013 and then on Steam in December of that same year. That means we just reached the 8 year anniversary this past summer and are currently witnessing the 8 year anniversary on Steam. In another year that will be nine and in two more years we will finally reach ten years. I know it sounds more epic to just round things off at 10 and believe me I have no doubt that we will probably be able to advertise the game as "a decade in the making!!!" when the time finally comes but-- unless you were a kickstarter, we are still a year away from 9 years.

2) That is important for my second note in that the length of development doesn't really matter. Some will argue and scoff that the game isn't truly in development any longer but I can assure you that it really is and although they are at the tail end, there is still more that needs to be added to the game before they can call it done. As a game that is still very much in development, they are going to pick their own priorities. That means that menu options that create different play settings are only going to come when they feel the timing is right. I know for a fact that they are keeping the entity population low intentionally until they add bandits and NPCs. Once their cast of entities is complete they will have the full picture of how many zombies they want in the world and what sliders they will add to the main menu to allow users to fine tune those things. The timing is not quite right for that and so the appropriate thing for us to do while we wait is to edit those zombie amounts ourselves for ourselves according to how our own rigs can handle those things.

Your settings certainly do sound like a lot of fun and challenge!

There is no zombie dogs in zombie movies? Resident Evil. And the dogs in the game definitly are RE dogs.

The UI is good for me, played some newer survival games and they all aren´t as intuitive as this one. And usually more complicated in terms of crafting for example.

The HUD is also very good in this game. I don´t get why people want more stuff cluttering their screen. It´s an immersion killer. I am still hoping that we can play with HUD off someday. Sure you can´t do that all the time, but it would still be sweet.

You don´t need to press B to see your hunger and thirst. The hunger and thirst bars are under the toolbelt.

For headshots only check out romero mod. No bloodmoon, all zombies walk, no rage mode. 8x spawn, huge wandering hordes. (Won´t be available before A20 stable though)

And as someone a bit older than you, please use the white font. That blue is hard to read for people who start to need glasses for reading.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Roland said:

2) That is important for my second note in that the length of development doesn't really matter. Some will argue and scoff that the game isn't truly in development any longer but I can assure you that it really is and although they are at the tail end, there is still more that needs to be added to the game before they can call it done. As a game that is still very much in development, they are going to pick their own priorities. That means that menu options that create different play settings are only going to come when they feel the timing is right. I know for a fact that they are keeping the entity population low intentionally until they add bandits and NPCs. Once their cast of entities is complete they will have the full picture of how many zombies they want in the world and what sliders they will add to the main menu to allow users to fine tune those things. The timing is not quite right for that and so the appropriate thing for us to do while we wait is to edit those zombie amounts ourselves for ourselves according to how our own rigs can handle those things.

I think they made huge mistake with this. If they added bandits in A16- A17 we would have 7dtd almost done. 7dtd is not far cry or call of duty or f.e.a.r so it just can't have good AI because it is still voxel game. Minecraft AI is quiet simple and that work. Honestly i think even zombie AI they made overcompicated- zombies in this game are too smart. We don't know nothing about NPC but in my opinion they could just work similar to DS - just sitting in traded outpost talk about something trade stuff and giving quests.  But well we can't change time so we will lose another few years... great... Honestly more zombies + very rare bandits enemy and "passive" npc would be better option

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

There is no zombie dogs in zombie movies? Resident Evil. And the dogs in the game definitly are RE dogs.

For headshots only check out romero mod. No bloodmoon, all zombies walk, no rage mode. 8x spawn, huge wandering hordes. (Won´t be available before A20 stable though)

RE is  specific. because most of enemies there are human made mutants. So better option would be change them by mods into kids zombies ( orginal dawn of living dead airfield scene) . 

Well zombie animals like cod monkeys looks too much as joke for me. i think zombie cat would be comical. So the best ideas to solve zombie animals in zombie games are : animals are immune in wd style or animals will die but not became zombie in l4d2 style

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Matt115 Well, the lore in 7D is also mutants actually. That´s why things like the spider, screamer, vomiting cops and vultures and what ever that new vomiting zombie is called exist.

Yep but if i good understand lordderryth, he want to have "twd" experience.  So if i 'm correct that change will suit good. 

Btw vultures and dogs are just reanimated corpses, and probably vomiting zombie  and vomiting cops are change by radiooactivity reanimated corpses like burning zombie is "made" by fire . But  i agree - spider and screamer looks like human made mutants

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

zombies in this game are too smart.

Every  post I read about zombie AI complains about equally that they are either too smart or too dumb....lol. Seems that it must be an entirely subjective state and if there are equal complaints about either extreme then it must mean TFP has found the middle ground. Personally, I liked it better closer to the A17 end of the spectrum for everything except blood moon night and the way they are now are great for blood moon night.

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

RE is  specific.

I like that excuse. I'm going to use.

7 Days to Die is specific. It has zombie dogs. Period.

You are all absolutely awesome.  I love the positive and negative vibe.  Truly a picture-perfect way to communicate in a civil matter. :)  I want to apologize for the blue fonts.  The grey all around and white fonts was making me dizzy.  I'll make sure to keep my posts default.

The reason for the use of mods is to always change the game to my liking.  You have the Vanillas, the perfectionists and the arcade type.  I always prefer to be the perfectionist and strive to bring realism to my game.  I understand Zombies are not real.  It's always the "What If" factor.  George Romero summed it up well.  Resident evil is considered the teen of the zombie genre.  

I honestly do feel stupid.  Come to think of it.  I was wondering what the two colors meant under the toolbelt.  I would prefer the HUD mod for better visuals.  The reason is because of 
JaxTeller718 Harsher Death Penalties.  When your vitals are low, you tend to lose stamina and health.  I like to keep myself above 50% to utilize my full strength.  

I promise you, I'm not the arcade type.  60k stacks, 80+ inventory and all sorts of gadgets is not my thing.  Yes, I want TWD and NoTLD type play.  Last night we had a horde run up on our base as if it was a blood moon even though it wasn't.  We found ourselves cornered in the church hall.  We took a bit of beating trying to get out.  I told my friend, "People would tell you how easy it is to escape a horde of zombies in numbers of 20.  Look at it this way.  Had we made one mistake it was over."  She understood why I use those mods and play style.  I play on Insane.  I've had many hair pulling moments that Hollywood would definitely love.  Unfortunately, I did not realize zombies increase in HP after longer days of play.  This becomes an unrealistic style of play as Zombies are much harder to kill.  In the end, animals like Dogs and Bears become instant death and impossible to kill.  I nearly fell to dogs last night.  Two zombie bears gave me a good chase.  400+ bullets from a machine gun did not get the job done.  I'm looking for the adventure and long haul.  I'm also looking for more ways to spice up the game with mods.  One of them is trying to disable the jump and climb as zombies DO NOT do that.  

Overall, 7d2d is by far one of the best survival games out there.  It reminds me of minecraft.  You can play over and over and over and over again without getting bored.  7d2d is a blessing to the survival genre.  I look forward to seeing more.  I had surgery a few days ago that is keeping me in the house for 3 weeks and hopefully no longer.  I'm playing more games than usual.  I'm currently stuck on 7d2d.  Love those zombies. :)

btw....I purchased this game from their website.  I believe it was a kick starter.  I could not find my original purchase as that was ages ago.  I had to purchase again from steam.  Anyway I can find my old purchase?  I'm a hoarder and nostalgia are a thing for me.  

You all rock, thank you! 🥳

P.S.
How insane is UnrealEngine5.  Can you imagine a 7d2d scenario in UE5?  -Passed out from excitement-

Edited by lordderryth (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Roland said:

Every  post I read about zombie AI complains about equally that they are either too smart or too dumb....lol. Seems that it must be an entirely subjective state and if there are equal complaints about either extreme then it must mean TFP has found the middle ground. Personally, I liked it better closer to the A17 end of the spectrum for everything except blood moon night and the way they are now are great for blood moon night.

I like that excuse. I'm going to use.

7 Days to Die is specific. It has zombie dogs. Period.

Well everyone have they own preference - i think dying light  have the best zombie AI ever- they are most of the time stupid as hell but in this same time smart enough to do something.

XD well lord what to have if i good understand TWD exeperience. RE is honestly the most specific zombie game but keeping "be serious" style - Mr. X, mutant Plaint , gigant spiders, gigants , superpower teenager  girl etc. 

7dtd is more "classic" - trying to keep more "realistic" setting. well dogs suits here very good but damn. vultures are...  damn idea to add this was war crime! 

6 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well everyone have they own preference - i think dying light  have the best zombie AI ever- they are most of the time stupid as hell but in this same time smart enough to do something.

XD well lord what to have if i good understand TWD exeperience. RE is honestly the most specific zombie game but keeping "be serious" style - Mr. X, mutant Plaint , gigant spiders, gigants , superpower teenager  girl etc. 

7dtd is more "classic" - trying to keep more "realistic" setting. well dogs suits here very good but damn. vultures are...  damn idea to add this was war crime! 

I think Vultures are a waste of space in the game.  Right click with your Sledgehammer and they are dead.  In theory any living organism can be a zombie if the virus attacks them.  I presume.  I live in the Romero world where TWD does a good job.  Even though the tribe in "The Forest" are not zombies.  I do feel the AI presents one of the best I've ever come across.  I almost felt like I was communicating with them before bashing their heads.  Something that is unreal to me and never experienced in a video game from a realism standpoint.  How does work with zombies?  Quite easy.  If The Forest can have intelligent AI, it can also be used for zombies making them smarter in a sense of "I want your brain" and come after you in a "oh look what a dumb zombie" yet have that zombie instinct.  

So where might I find the Food & Water Hud? I was perfectly happy with 

but the food & water stopped displaying numbers and I haven't figured out how to fix it.

What breaks MY immersion is having to stop what I am doing and open a UI and then click around it to find some quick info. Especially when 2.5 minutes is an hour and the clock is ticking. Ain't nobody got time fo'dat!

For the most part I agree the vanilla HUD is fine, just lacking a bit of info that this mod adds. Other UI mods make too many style changes for my taste.

I really need to try some more mods, I too would prefer a more Romero/TWD experience over this Z-Nation bull@%$#.

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

16 hours ago, minisith said:

Actually 7DTD lore is zombies was from a mutated virus.   Just check the newspapers on the ground in game.   That is what they were aiming for but that could have changed, but not that I know of.  It is not from a nuclear war.

A few of those papers also show nuclear blasts, so a combination of zombie virus and nuclear warfare, if the nukes weren't a failed attempt to contain the virus, is possible.

40 minutes ago, lordderryth said:

I think Vultures are a waste of space in the game.  Right click with your Sledgehammer and they are dead.  In theory any living organism can be a zombie if the virus attacks them.  I presume.  I live in the Romero world where TWD does a good job.  Even though the tribe in "The Forest" are not zombies.  I do feel the AI presents one of the best I've ever come across.  I almost felt like I was communicating with them before bashing their heads.  Something that is unreal to me and never experienced in a video game from a realism standpoint.  How does work with zombies?  Quite easy.  If The Forest can have intelligent AI, it can also be used for zombies making them smarter in a sense of "I want your brain" and come after you in a "oh look what a dumb zombie" yet have that zombie instinct.  

cannibals in the forest are degenerated people by aliens ( yep that's crazy) and mutants are effect of probably this strange ball so they can be undead or not.  Btw the most strange zombie types are "return of the dead" zombies- they are almost humans but they want brains because death make them feel great pain (don't ask this zombie woman was strange) and only way to kill them were flame or electricity

51 minutes ago, Krougal said:

but the food & water stopped displaying numbers and I haven't figured out how to fix it.

I never need to know the exact numbers tbh and i really hope it stays this way. It amazes me everytime i see a DF screenshot or video how people can play with that massive HUD having those frames around everything. 

59 minutes ago, Krougal said:

So where might I find the Food & Water Hud? I was perfectly happy with 

What breaks MY immersion is having to stop what I am doing and open a UI and then click around it to find some quick info. Especially when 2.5 minutes is an hour and the clock is ticking. Ain't nobody got time fo'dat!

For the most part I agree the vanilla HUD is fine, just lacking a bit of info that this mod adds. Other UI mods make too many style changes for my taste.

I really need to try some more mods, I too would prefer a more Romero/TWD experience over this Z-Nation bull@%$#.

Try the mods I listed.  It's perfect for that style.  I do insane with all zombies walking.  AI block break is 100%, player is 200%.  
For a testing twist.  Try Scavenger difficulty, AI block break at 25%, player 200% and all zombies sprint.  hahahaha this should be fun.

So who actually made the food & water hud mod? A search isn't coming up with anything. Other than the one I use.

7 days to die ui/hud for a19, 7 days to die hud mod

This is perfect for me and has all the info I want without being too noisy or bothersome. Nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully it gets updated when A20 drops for real.

Oh, and as far as the lore, I think the nuclear was "secondary kill" where the zombie virus was "primary kill".

Military response to the zombie hordes was to nuke the large population centers, that kind of thing.

I have played with 200% player and while it makes early game less tedious, it's very bad for game balance late game as it removes the need to bother with steel tools. 25% for AI, I was one of the people who championed that being decoupled from the player setting so I of course use it always. They still rip through concrete too fast for my liking.

I honestly hate all things RPG (level grinding bleyt!) but I haven't been able to find a good balance to make it less obtrusive either. Faster XP is bad. I've messed with different amounts of skill points per level too but once again, late game it gets silly. I enjoyed the game more before the skill system but it is so entwined into everything that it feels impossible to remove it.

I'll have to look for some of those mods, although most of them seem like little tweaks and not major changes to zed behavior. More inventory slots...there's another thing I been thinking I need lately, so many items added, especially nonstackable @%$#. I mean when my inventory is full and my gyrocopter is full and I still have to make 2 trips there is too much @%$#. That's carrying minimal gear outside the hotbar (I probably carry too many tools and weapons though)

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

18 hours ago, minisith said:

Actually 7DTD lore is zombies was from a mutated virus.   Just check the newspapers on the ground in game.   That is what they were aiming for but that could have changed, but not that I know of.  It is not from a nuclear war.

The special zombies can also be explained by the game lore that they tried using nukes to deal with the problem but they took to long to do it, so it was too late. I mean the wasteland biome deff looks like a nuke hit it.

1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

A few of those papers also show nuclear blasts, so a combination of zombie virus and nuclear warfare, if the nukes weren't a failed attempt to contain the virus, is possible.

Yeah they tried using nukes to stem the flow after a point, but all that did was breed newer stronger more mutated zombies. They made the problem worse not better.

24 minutes ago, Krougal said:

So who actually made the food & water hud mod? A search isn't coming up with anything. Other than the one I use.

7 days to die ui/hud for a19, 7 days to die hud mod

This is perfect for me and has all the info I want without being too noisy or bothersome. Nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully it gets updated when A20 drops for real.

Oh, and as far as the lore, I think the nuclear was "secondary kill" where the zombie virus was "primary kill".

Military response to the zombie hordes was to nuke the large population centers, that kind of thing.

I have played with 200% player and while it makes early game less tedious, it's very bad for game balance late game as it removes the need to bother with steel tools. 25% for AI, I was one of the people who championed that being decoupled from the player setting so I of course use it always. They still rip through concrete too fast for my liking.

I honestly hate all things RPG (level grinding bleyt!) but I haven't been able to find a good balance to make it less obtrusive either. Faster XP is bad. I've messed with different amounts of skill points per level too but once again, late game it gets silly. I enjoyed the game more before the skill system but it is so entwined into everything that it feels impossible to remove it.

I'll have to look for some of those mods, although most of them seem like little tweaks and not major changes to zed behavior. More inventory slots...there's another thing I been thinking I need lately, so many items added, especially nonstackable @%$#. I mean when my inventory is full and my gyrocopter is full and I still have to make 2 trips there is too much @%$#. That's carrying minimal gear outside the hotbar (I probably carry too many tools and weapons though)

I love this response.  It's quite balanced and I agree with you.  My UI is exactly like that.  Only the hunger and thirst shows up with hp and stam.  I do like the XP information.  Is that a mod? My friend told me about the Lore it was nuclear.  I do believe what you say when mililtary nuked the zombies which caused all this other mayhem.  However, I would prefer a non-nuclear attack in most areas that buildings look clean rather than broken down.  

I agree faster XP is bad.  Which is why I use Slower Progression Mod.  Believe me when I tell you.  Even with the extra inventory, I still find myself encumbered.  I love that mod because it has slots for encumbered.  A lot of inventory mods don't have that and to me it's almost like cheating.  There must be encumbrance.  

Just a thought continuing on alpha progress, dev vision, and zombie behavior...

I sometimes wish they would have continued with the whole zombies run in the dark thing going back to Alpha 1. I'm not even certain it would be that great, but I kinda want to experience this now in A20. I know it looked jarring when zombies would move from dark to light or vice versa, but I bet now that they have people working on animations and models, they could pull it off nicely.