Which would you pick, helmet light mod or two herbal antibiotics?

ElCabong

By day four, I found one jar of honey. Used that very early on. Then I got diseased and was unable to find an antibiotic or a jar honey after spending most of the day looking.  I went all the way up the ceiling of a hospital, looking for antibiotics. By then  my diseased state was like 50%. I was totally unprepared for what I encountered and woke them all up.

Didn't need antibiotics anymore.

So I did a mission today and the trader gave me a choice of a helmet light mod, which I did not have, or two herbal antibiotics. Had to think about it for 3 minutes.

Which would you pick?

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)

• ElCabong changed the title to Which would you pick, helmet light mod or two herbal antibiotics?

It depends.

If I got it recently, I would have gone helmet light mod as I have a blue pill, one green pill, and 2 honeys in my inventory stash.

If I had none of those, I would have gone with the green pills and just use a torch / flashlight for a bit longer

In my SP, definitly the antibiotics. ~30 treestumps no honey, one pop´n´pills found so far and there were no antibiotics, trader has none either. 20% infection right now. As i play permadeath, dying to get rid of an infection is not an option, even with no permadeath i find that kind lame, would feel like cheating. I honestly think we should have it like in subsistence, where you keep your infection when you die.

In MP we have enough honey and antibiotics.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Sucker-C4 said:

Yeah, no brainer there. You’re gonna use that helmet light the rest of your days. What quest and what trader, asking for a friend 😅

T2 clear quest from trader Jen

10 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

In my SP, definitly the antibiotics. ~30 treestumps no honey, one pop´n´pills found so far and there were no antibiotics, trader has none either. 20% infection right now. As i play permadeath, dying to get rid of an infection is not an option, even with no permadeath i find that kind lame, would feel like cheating. I honestly think we should have it like in subsistence, where you keep your infection when you die.

In MP we have enough honey and antibiotics.

I didn't even think about permadeath. It's no brainer then

The vultures new designs make it the prime virus spreader with rapid attacks and a small hit box with jerky movements.

Also they have a behavior where they are more prone to attack if you reload.  So, reload any weapon then immediately change to a MG and hose them down.

17 hours ago, Aldranon said:

The vultures new designs make it the prime virus spreader with rapid attacks and a small hit box with jerky movements.

Also they have a behavior where they are more prone to attack if you reload.  So, reload any weapon then immediately change to a MG and hose them down.

I've actually found vultures easier to deal with in my few encounters so far (roof tops not desert).  They seem to be flying straight and level at you now instead of going high and diving.  If I time it right I can one shot them with a power attack from a bone knife.

34 minutes ago, Silverjohn said:

I've actually found vultures easier to deal with in my few encounters so far (roof tops not desert).  They seem to be flying straight and level at you now instead of going high and diving.  If I time it right I can one shot them with a power attack from a bone knife.

When you see them from a distance, its game over for them.

I think that is why a lot of new POI roofs have a chaotic look, and when multiple vultures are in that mess... you got a problem.

SO, I will almost always choose (or buy) anti-biotic/honey.

When you can make your own, it not a big deal for the most part.  Its just getting to that point alive!

Of course some people use broken glass as the wonder cure for all that ails you.   :D

Not my thing but I don't have a character that has survived three weeks in A20.  Not a good sign...

Edited by Aldranon (see edit history)

On 12/8/2021 at 7:07 PM, ElCabong said:

By day four, I found one jar of honey. Used that very early on. Then I got diseased and was unable to find an antibiotic or a jar honey after spending most of the day looking.  I went all the way up the ceiling of a hospital, looking for antibiotics. By then  my diseased state was like 50%. I was totally unprepared for what I encountered and woke them all up.

Didn't need antibiotics anymore.

So I did a mission today and the trader gave me a choice of a helmet light mod, which I did not have, or two herbal antibiotics. Had to think about it for 3 minutes.

Which would you pick?

You get honey from stumps. Stumps are a plenty out in nature. You should get 1 honey in at least 10 stumps chopped down.

In any case I'd chose the helmet light mod, as that is a long time reward while the antidote is a one time use, and disease goes away if you die anyway and dying isn't that big of a deal as long as you're not on a quest and have a bedroll placed nearby.

Edited by IgnyteZero (see edit history)

Helm light hands down, even if I was infected, there are many diff ways to get rid of infection, honey, herbals, antibiotics. However getting that helm light is a game changer, since it now allows you to easly do things at night and generally makes life easier, its also as someone else has mentioned a permament upgrade where a infection cure is just a temp one. I also play hardcore dead is dead rulesets, as if you allow respawning it kinda defeats the purpose of any difficulty setting if you can just infintely respawn.

For me I always pick the reward that will last the rest of the game instead of one that will provide a short term (or one shot) benefit. I watch people skip over mods or skill books they could use for the rest of the game and pick ammo (which is easily made), and wonder why? lol

So for me:

1) Something that will last the entire game

2) Something I could use if #1 is a bust

3) Whatever sells for the most if #1 and #2 are a bust

This does mean in early game I may be ammo starved, but usually in early game I can use a club or other melee weapon even with no perks. It does make infections more dangerous since antibiotics would fall into category #2. I don't play dead is dead, but I still won't commit suicide to get rid of infections and do everything I can to stay alive. So it's not too uncommon for me to be running around with various levels of infection in early game until I find what I need to cure them.

But I also haven't tried A20 yet (kinda hoping I can hold out until it hits stable so I don't have to restart when it does), so my strategy may change.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:46 AM, IgnyteZero said:

You get honey from stumps. Stumps are a plenty out in nature. You should get 1 honey in at least 10 stumps chopped down.

In any case I'd chose the helmet light mod, as that is a long time reward while the antidote is a one time use, and disease goes away if you die anyway and dying isn't that big of a deal as long as you're not on a quest and have a bedroll placed nearby.

This in no way resembles my experience. Apparently, bees were wiped out by the virus in my world.