I decided to try a new world by only focusing on Intelligence.

ungkor

The Stun baton is super weak . I assumed it would be balanced out by the junk turrent.  But there is no way to craft it besides a random schematic discovery.

Make up your  minds:  7d2d is a rpg/long term build up character game, or is a 2-3 week replayable game with no depth.

Edited by meganoth
Removed swearing (see edit history)

Have you followed the recent discussion about INT in the dev diary?  If not, you might read up on the pro and contra arguments first.

Crafting a stun baton on day 1 will be possible in A20 because they added scrap versions for most weapons, including batons. 

Secondly, ranting will not make your argument stronger. You did not show how your reasoning goes from noncraftable or weak baton to 2-3 weak playable with no depth.

Int is supposed to be a class with weak offensive abilities and being more difficult to master. Probably the best strategy is to use unperked weapons of other classes and the otherwise unusable ammo for them to bolster your damage output while using perked turrets and baton

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Say - I am not Rambo

Say - I am Raistlin

8 hours ago, ungkor said:

7d2d is a rpg/long term build up character game, or is a 2-3 week replayable game with no depth.

lol...You say you want a long term build up character game but are complaining that a pure intelligence character doesn't get strong quickly enough.

The PURE intelligence build IS a slow game in which you are vulnerable for quite awhile. It is exactly what you claim to want: a long term time investment from weak to strong. Now you don't have to do a pure intelligence build at all. If that is too challenging and slow then you can supplement from another build and do a hybrid character.

As for replayability, your mileage may vary but there are at least five pure builds you can try as well as a myriad of combination builds so just because one single tree doesn't spark your fancy as a pure progression build, that doesn't make the whole game un-replayable. There are a lot of choices for subsequent playthroughs.

6 hours ago, Roland said:

Say - I am Raistlin

My fav character in that series. Loved the Twins 3 part trilogy as well.

By the end of the series he was ready to destroy the WORLD

But he started off so weak his hulk of a brother had to fight for him until he could throw fireballs.

Good analogy ;)

One way to look at it is it literally takes more strategy and planning with an intelligence build, and that is in and of itself roleplaying personified.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

The problem with playing a "pure" build is that you happen to miss out on most of the things required to have a good playthrough. "Pure" builds only really work in MMO's where the "build" is based merely on stat points to equip certain gear, and not on proficiency selection.

I'd say that is true for a newish player. For veteran players who have experience the full spectrum good playthrough a number of times, doing a pure build as a challenge playthrough can be a fun challenge. I agree it isn't the normal way to play. 

The other side of the coin is fun as well...at least once: Take one rank in EVERY perk and spread yourself broadly as a super mediocre jack of all trades.

18 hours ago, ungkor said:

The Stun baton is super weak . I assumed it would be balanced out by the junk turrent.  But there is no way to craft it besides a random schematic discovery.

Make up your  minds:  7d2d is a rpg/long term build up character game, or is a 2-3 week replayable game with no depth.

I am assuming this is purely a rant post as you didn't post enough objective information to start a discussion.

As others have stated there are plenty ways to play INT builds.

I almost always set a rule for myself where I can only choose one tree of perks and I have to max it out completely before choosing another and this ofcourse includes intellect (which I've done several times now) and it's by far one of the easiest to do IMO (only 2nd to strength ), just as long as you're putting pts in the right areas to start. If your having trouble with intellect then maybe you set the bar too high for yourself and need to adjust the settings. 

Playing an intellect focused game means you don't have the early benefits of better clubs, tools, mining, t-rex, or lucky looter that you would otherwise get right out the gate in a normal game by putting points into "strength" and "perception"......but the alternatives to these perks are readily available with intellect via traders, challenges, vending machines, and the option to have better transportation. The more jobs your complete the more money you make and a better chance you have at finding a better tool.

Better club/tools (Pummel Pete/Miner 69) alternative = Trader/Jobs/eye candy
Motherlode (mining) alternative = Rock buster candy
Lucky loot alternative = Eye candy
T-rex alternative = Mega crush

In short, intellect builds means you have to rely heavily on your brain and money for traders and vending machines. Hence the word "intellect". And in order to make more money (via jobs) you need faster transportation ASAP to complete more jobs and all of this attainable if you put points into better barter and grease monkey early on.

I will never get why you would put points in one attribute only. Mainly INT yeah sure why not. But pure INT is just asking for trouble with extra trouble as a side dish.

There is a lot of ways to make the game more challenging, Pure builds are the least fun of them all.

Also nice try to blame the devs when pure builds are something that are possible but not what they had in mind for how to play this game. I mean it´s pretty obvious that you are supposed to spread out your points over all attributes, at least a few everywhere. Simply said: It´s your own fault tbh.

It works in MP tough. Just needs a party that plays regulary.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

@JaWoodle has a great A19 series where he played through (to the first horde night I think) each ability. From what I can remember he had the most difficult time with Agility (knife/blade/pistol). He breezed through INT, especially making that first Horde Night easy.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:48 AM, Laz Man said:

You challenged yourself and discovered it's a difficult challenge. Well done. Wouldn't want a challenge to be too easy, right?

23 minutes ago, PBRstreetgang said:

@JaWoodle has a great A19 series where he played through (to the first horde night I think) each ability. From what I can remember he had the most difficult time with Agility (knife/blade/pistol). He breezed through INT, especially making that first Horde Night easy.

You challenged yourself and discovered it's a difficult challenge. Well done. Wouldn't want a challenge to be too easy, right?

You quoted the wrong person, just FYI