KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

So if the height map runs from 0 to 256, a height of 60 would simply be 60,60,60 as 0,0,0 is black and 255,255,255 is white? Roughly? Maybe?

Tested that just now. Yes that works great. So just to confirm, 60,60,60 in terms of rgb255 is a comfortable height for spawning of cities.

Thanks for your help and thanks for developing this software. Next to play with painting cities. 

4 minutes ago, Tallman Brad said:

So if the height map runs from 0 to 256, a height of 60 would simply be 60,60,60 as 0,0,0 is black and 255,255,255 is white? Roughly? Maybe?

Tested that just now. Yes that works great. So just to confirm, 60,60,60 in terms of rgb255 is a comfortable height for spawning of cities.

Thanks for your help and thanks for developing this software. Next to play with painting cities. 

Yes 60 is good. However you should be working in grayscale, so you should not have 3 channels (rgb) but only 1 channel for white. Perhaps the software you are using allows you to export the image in grayscale, so that's not a problem.

Yes, I'm just trying 'gimp' and that has an option to export 8bit,16bit gray. Also let's me do layers so I can mark out biomes according to the shape of the terrain on layer 2, export as colour png, then a third layer with buildings etc. This is great fun. Thanks for this. 

Edited by Tallman Brad
Fixed spelling error (see edit history)

Hello.First of all, thank you for your work, RWG already has impressive functionality.
And now, please tell me where I made a mistake and what needs to be corrected.
I wanted to make a custom map of biomes and drew 5 islands with different biomes in photoshop,everything came together in colors,but I don't understand how to make water.What color do you need?
Instead of water, a continuation of the forest biome is obtained.
Thanks.

Spoiler

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

From what I've learned so far, it looks like you've allowed the software to generate the terrain. You've only specified biomes. I think you'll need to generate a height map that has the areas that you want as water. Someone more knowledgeable than me will help you shortly I'm sure. 

11 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

Hello.First of all, thank you for your work, RWG already has impressive functionality.
And now, please tell me where I made a mistake and what needs to be corrected.
I wanted to make a custom map of biomes and drew 5 islands with different biomes in photoshop,everything came together in colors,but I don't understand how to make water.What color do you need?
Instead of water, a continuation of the forest biome is obtained.
Thanks.

Hi, here are 2 tips that will help you:

1) in the biomes map, anything that you leave empty will become forest. Keep this in mind

2) the biomes map has nothing to do with water. If you want to set water, you have to paint your own heightmap. In a custom heightmap, anything below level 43 will become water

I have issued about custom heightmap I was edited bit lighting up when generator UK map went sunk under water because after generator adjust itself on brightness too dark heightmap make low land. I have no issued with NitroGen didn't change adjust brightness just stay same. After generator look weird map UK sunk into water.

7DtD bug 1.png

7DtD bug 2.png

4 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Hi, here are 2 tips that will help you:

1) in the biomes map, anything that you leave empty will become forest. Keep this in mind

2) the biomes map has nothing to do with water. If you want to set water, you have to paint your own heightmap. In a custom heightmap, anything below level 43 will become water

I drew a height map and a corresponding biome map.
Same size 8192x8192 8bit
height map Grayscale
RGB Biome Map

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

When generating height map, everything is OK,but when generating biomes, an error occurs::

Spoiler

" Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "gui.py", line 1240, in generate
 File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
 File "world.py", line 1011, in run
 File "world.py", line 197, in generate
 File "world.py", line 799, in init_biomes_map
 File "world.py", line 812, in load_biomes
IndexError: too many indices for array: array is 2-dimensional, but 3 were indexed
"

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

I drew a height map and a corresponding biome map.
Same size 8192x8192 8bit
height map Grayscale
RGB Biome Map

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

When generating height map, everything is OK,but when generating biomes, an error occurs::

Hide contents

" Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "gui.py", line 1240, in generate
 File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
 File "world.py", line 1011, in run
 File "world.py", line 197, in generate
 File "world.py", line 799, in init_biomes_map
 File "world.py", line 812, in load_biomes
IndexError: too many indices for array: array is 2-dimensional, but 3 were indexed
"

What am I doing wrong?

It seems like the biomes map you are using has a single channel. But it should have 3 (RGB)

16 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

Now there are no generation errors, but the final result looks like this..

Hide contents

spacer.png

The heightmap you provided is probably not saved in the correct format. It must be a grayscale, single channel, png. Also remember that anything below level 43 will be under water

I just trial & error now worked I been first time custom POIs with zoning is awesome look better than NitroGen was lack things just random & some spawn edge land was crappy & keep re-generation all time.

My first time tested UK map with KingGen 👍 & tweaked no POI blocked spawn on mountains preview.thumb.png.91c2cf6f0c498ab3011be106cb21a8d4.png

3 minutes ago, Wolves Hero said:

I just trial & error now worked I been first time custom POIs with zoning is awesome look better than NitroGen was lack things just random & some spawn edge land was crappy & keep re-generation all time.

My first time tested UK map with KingGen 👍 & tweaked no POI blocked spawn on mountains preview.thumb.png.91c2cf6f0c498ab3011be106cb21a8d4.png

Love it

7 hours ago, Wolves Hero said:

//quote

That looks great. I'm not having as much luck. I swear the city level adjusts by itself. Is that an 8k map? 

Edited by Tallman Brad (see edit history)

Hi.

This time I was testing the No POIs feature, and it effectively won't place any POIs in the demarked area... but it also won't place any POIs anywhere else (other than wilderness ones) Is there any other colour we are supposed to fill the file file with for KingGen to generate cities in the rest of the map? or it only works if I also made the custom cities. 

Maybe the no POIs feature should be in the zoning file instead of the Cities file?

cheers

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5317e4874bcebaa52d0ffd1991802eea.png

Spoiler

Cities.thumb.png.76c35e5e6162dab8019c3ab2021a13ca.png

6 minutes ago, Jugom said:

Hi.

This time I was testing the No POIs feature, and it effectively won't place any POIs in the demarked area... but it also won't place any POIs anywhere else (other than wilderness ones) Is there any other colour we are supposed to fill the file file with for KingGen to generate cities in the rest of the map? or it only works if I also made the custom cities. 

Maybe the no POIs feature should be in the zoning file instead of the Cities file?

cheers

If you use the city map, you also have to draw cities... if you want to let KG generate the cities, then do not use the city map

24 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

If you use the city map, you also have to draw cities... if you want to let KG generate the cities, then do not use the city map

Got it. 

Might want to consider adding it as a feature?

I think more often people will want to leave certain area clear than to actively draw the whole city planning.

4 hours ago, Jugom said:

Got it. 

Might want to consider adding it as a feature?

I think more often people will want to leave certain area clear than to actively draw the whole city planning.

Initially I thought your suggestion was good, but now I am thinking that some map makers might leave the cities map empty because they do not want cities to be generated. (some people for example generate the same map over and over in severla steps and each iteration they change something)

This map generator don't have smoothing option yet like Nitrogen already have smoothing terrain option was smooth hills & mountain but this KingGen not smooth hills & mountains. Hope next update KingGen add smoothing option.
See picture look weird big steps feel like Minecraft game.

spacer.png

Here my map maker from KingGen

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Wolves Hero said:

This map generator don't have smoothing option yet like Nitrogen already have smoothing terrain option was smooth hills & mountain but this KingGen not smooth hills & mountains. Hope next update KingGen add smoothing option.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have the same issue with some maps that have been downloaded. Maps I create by hand are smooth though. I think the steps in the terrain are caused by a low resolution downloaded map. If you have the option in your photo editing software to 'soften' or 'blur' your downloaded map it might reduce those steps. Maybe just try softening by a minimal amount. I'm going to try it myself today but your UK map is particularly good and worth trying to fix. 

2 hours ago, Wolves Hero said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

If you use 8 bit heightmaps, they will be smoothed by KingGen.

If you use 16 bit heightmaps, they won't be smoothed by KingGen.

This is a design choice.

15 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Initially I thought your suggestion was good, but now I am thinking that some map makers might leave the cities map empty because they do not want cities to be generated. (some people for example generate the same map over and over in severla steps and each iteration they change something)

Different creative process I guess.
I do generate empty maps over and over again while adjusting the heightmap.
but once I'm happy with it, I just leave the tool to generate all the POIs. unfortunaltely KingGen keeps adding some POIs at a certain places where I do not want POIs to be generated no matter how many I have generated so far be it some mountains or tiny island I have reserved for something. Nitro did have the option to mask where you didn't want POIs to generate. used mor often I guess so it didn't decide to create a whole city in the middle of the ocean. luckily King does not have that issue so far. but it was still nice to have that control over it.

18 minutes ago, Jugom said:

Different creative process I guess.
I do generate empty maps over and over again while adjusting the heightmap.
but once I'm happy with it, I just leave the tool to generate all the POIs. unfortunaltely KingGen keeps adding some POIs at a certain places where I do not want POIs to be generated no matter how many I have generated so far be it some mountains or tiny island I have reserved for something. Nitro did have the option to mask where you didn't want POIs to generate. used mor often I guess so it didn't decide to create a whole city in the middle of the ocean. luckily King does not have that issue so far. but it was still nice to have that control over it.

I think I can do what you asked me. I got this idea: if the cities map does not contain any city, town or village, then the normal generation will be triggered. However, if a user wants to force no generation, he can simply color a single pixel in the cities map, and that will not be big enough to create a city around it, but no generation will be triggered. This way, both problems are solved.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

10 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

If you use 8 bit heightmaps, they will be smoothed by KingGen.

If you use 16 bit heightmaps, they won't be smoothed by KingGen.

This is a design choice.

Thank you, I was confused 16bit high quality & 8bit low quality. I tried 8bit heightmap went smooth hills & mountain feel real 7DtD no Minecraft lol,
I change to 8bit then re-generate 16k map still fast finished 3mins with SSD & i7 7700K & 32Gb RAM 👍.

Spot difference 16bit vs 8bit on map preview zoom in picture can see on left pic not smooth & on right pic was smooth

16bit = Minecraft 

8bit = smooth 

spacer.png