A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

25 minutes ago, Gobarg said:

I know it's kinda left field but are we going to get the ability to custom design RWG maps?

Things such as designing road systems and placing specific POIs to achieve a unique map design.

A world editor with all the bells and whistles.

Just say NO and I'll pop back into my box :)

Check the first page, it gives all the details / hints regarding RWG customization. :) But when it comes to customizing our worlds to the extent that you are proposing, that is definitely not going to happen. If it does by gold I'll be greatly surprised.

2 hours ago, danielspoa said:

melee weapons are not amazing for their damage, but the utility they bring with stun/knock down is great. Many players stick to melee weapons to the late stages of the game. Spear lacks some way of controlling enemies and thats why it sucks so hard compared to all other options.

Sledgehammers + heavy armor are the biggest offenders, people never die.

edit: they also scale very well with the chance to dismember/ explode heads.

Funny that I find the spear one of the best weapons in the game, until clubs become totally OP. The club perks and the club magazines are what make it totally broken. I suggest comparing them to the spears, and you'll see spears bonuses are essentially a subset of clubs bonuses.

BUT, spears have a lot of range, and they pack a decent punch compared to everything but clubs. The spear power attack damage is higher even than the sledgehammer's power attack damage (example: stone: 29.355 spear vs 21.875 sledge). At the steel level the sledge gets better (53.01 vs 57.75), and maybe it is better as iron as well since iron spears suck, but I'm saying spears are very good early game, not late.

Spears simply have nothing special late game. Clubs have stamina reset, sledgehammers and stun batons have AoE, knuckles have health recovery. Machetes are also somewhat lacking. Knuckles also had a bug, which might still be present, whereas a power attack would always knock down opponents as long as you had a point or two in the perk.

Now, someone said the stun baton is OP. The stun baton is OP in a horde night scenario, with nerd tats and, preferably, repulsor mod. As a looting weapon it is lacking. You might feel like it can keep zombies stunned until you kill them, but if you were using clubs the zombies would be dead or on the ground.

Finally, spears do have one enemy control option: thrown spears will slow down enemies. And often knock them down, at which point you can get more damage by throwing them again, if you have the magazine for it. It just sucks tremendously for stamina.

28 minutes ago, Gobarg said:

I know it's kinda left field but are we going to get the ability to custom design RWG maps?

Things such as designing road systems and placing specific POIs to achieve a unique map design.

A world editor with all the bells and whistles.

Just say NO and I'll pop back into my box :)

You'll be happy to learn that you can do that in alpha 19! And 18! And 17!

Well, not roads, or terrain elevation, or biomes. It sucks that the world editor cannot do these things, but you can definitely place POIs (or remove them) to your heart's content.

2 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

You'll be happy to learn that you can do that in alpha 19! And 18! And 17!

Well, not roads, or terrain elevation, or biomes. It sucks that the world editor cannot do these things, but you can definitely place POIs (or remove them) to your heart's content.

To my knowledge that tool was removed.

1 hour ago, Burrfly said:

Will alpha 20 experimental be compatible with alpha 20 stable?

I'm curious because I'm really excited for a20 and want to play it right along without having to start over if a20 stable releases

Like with any alpha, every time there's a patch there's a chance that your particular save with become corrupted. TFP recommend you restart every time there's a new update. You might go through the entirety of experimental and not having to restart the one time, or you might have to restart every few days, or anywhere in between. Waking up to a new build and a corrupted world is not TFP's responsibility nor is it within the realm of anyone's control.

As such, my advice? Never get attached to an experimental world.

1 hour ago, Burrfly said:

I'm curious because I'm really excited for a20 and want to play it right along without having to start over if a20 stable releases

Huh, do you mean Alpha 20 exp compatible with Alpha 19 stable?  😉

It's always best to either A) continue playing at the Alpha 19 until you end your playthrough, or B) Start a new playthrough when upgrading between Alphas (major releases).  Since they make a lot of changes when they go from Alpha X to Alpha Y, it's always best to start anew.  When they upgrade from Alpha X.X to Alpha X.Y, you might be able to do so without a lot of issues.

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

Huh, do you mean Alpha 20 exp compatible with Alpha 19 stable?  😉

It's always best to either A) continue playing at the Alpha 19 until you end your playthrough, or B) Start a new playthrough when upgrading between Alphas (major releases).  Since they make a lot of changes when they go from Alpha X to Alpha Y, it's always best to start anew.  When they upgrade from Alpha X.X to Alpha X.Y, you might be able to do so without a lot of issues.

To add onto this, deleting all of your 7D2D files manually (simply uninstalling the game sometimes fails to do this simple task) between every alpha before upgrading is highly recommended. IF you don't, due to merging files and files being placed alongside one another, it's most probable you won't be able to start the game at all.

1 minute ago, Jost Amman said:

The cake is a lie...

3 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

See, that is not a very good precise timing.  You should have said "After 19.5 but before A21"  😁

Now they have a date range of when they should see Alpha 20

Guys you are so wrong - sw have ep 4 5 6 1 2 3 7 8 9

So we  can have alpha 100 ,  500 , 20 , 111 , 999 , 21 , 30 , 50 and........ beta ofc

3 hours ago, Burrfly said:

There's no guarantee of compatibility. That's what it means to be "experimental".

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Since the outfit system has been delayed, what will protect the player against the radiation in the wasteland?

Would be probably done when the outfits are in, if radiation in wasteland is in earlier, it would break the game experience a lot without them.

1 hour ago, beerfly said:

Would be probably done when the outfits are in, if radiation in wasteland is in earlier, it would break the game experience a lot without them.

"If you want to skip the primitive age, just loot in the wasteland! But there's a catch: you can't go there without immediately dying!" 😜