Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

5 hours ago, Aldranon said:

Adding food spoilage would solve some things wrong with food survival in 7D2D.

Counters to food spoilage could add more challenge:  Refrigeration which would need power (Ether with a generator or moving near a POI with a completed "Restore Power" quest).  

It all completes a nice plot arc.

I'm torn on this. On the one hand it would make food more of an issue (which it should be).

On the other the 2 games I can think of offhand that have this mechanic both suck.

In the end though, I think it would only make the early game more punishing but later on everyone would just have their fridges and power setup and still have an overabundance of food. Early game seems to be punishing enough, especially for new players since coming to rage about it seems to be the leading cause of new forum account creation. Being as mid-game I have an overabundance of pretty much everything (I do tend to hoard though) the food does not bother me. Indeed having a shortage of food at this point would be an imbalance.

Considering that the reality ship sailed a long time ago on this game, the unrealisticly low amount of meat from butchering is the least of my concerns.

11 minutes ago, Krougal said:

I'm torn on this. On the one hand it would make food more of an issue (which it should be).

In the end though, I think it would only make the early game more punishing but later on everyone would just have their fridges and power setup and still have an overabundance of food.

I have more food issues in the early game again with A20 compared to A19. Feels like it is consumed faster. Furthermore, I think it is quite normal and a good thing for games that you don't have to fight the early game struggles all the progression through. It would suck if food was still an issue at day 50 since there are other things you need to spend your valuable ingame time on.

One of the most important things:

Don't forget how you have started 7D2D. I remember very well what my first savegame looked like. Have started in A18 together with a friend of mine in 2 player LAN coop mode. It takes a very long time to understand the various menus, skill trees, crafting, books, weapon tiers, mining, food, criticals and lots more. Most people here in this forum are hardcore 7D2D nerds and just because we don't starve to death does not mean new players do neither. For a brand new gamer 7D2D on default settings is very challenging and they are the major audience. If a few dozen players with hundreds / thousands of playing hours seek for new challenges adding some mods or self-imposed rules is the way to go.

4 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

I have more food issues in the early game again with A20 compared to A19. Feels like it is consumed faster. Furthermore, I think it is quite normal and a good thing for games that you don't have to fight the early game struggles all the progression through. It would suck if food was still an issue at day 50 since there are other things you need to spend your valuable ingame time on.

One of the most important things:

Don't forget how you have started 7D2D. I remember very well what my first savegame looked like. Have started in A18 together with a friend of mine in 2 player LAN coop mode. It takes a very long time to understand the various menus, skill trees, crafting, books, weapon tiers, mining, food, criticals and lots more. Most people here in this forum are hardcore 7D2D nerds and just because we don't starve to death does not mean new players do neither. For a brand new gamer 7D2D on default settings is very challenging and they are the major audience. If a few dozen players with hundreds / thousands of playing hours seek for new challenges adding some mods or self-imposed rules is the way to go.

Oh don't misunderstand me, as an experienced player I still think the early game is punishing enough.

It was without sarcasm or malice that I mentioned the new players registering to complain about it.

21 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Currently the mutated zombie feels... slightly weak? To help rectify this I offer these two suggestions: 1. Buff its health a bit, perhaps similar to a feral cop, for instance. 2. Perhaps it should explode upon dying, dealing massive entity damage. Just one player's feedback. :)

If this were a fantasy game, the cop would be an armored archer and the mutated zombie the wizard in cloth doing AoE damage spells (that green stuff is doing AoE damage, right?).

I think he is well suited for horde nights, especially since it also clouds your vision. Getting blasted from cops and mutated from all sides could do some damage I suppose.

If he were meant as a boss zombie like the demo then he would need a massive boost though.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

If this were a fantasy game, the cop would be an armored archer and the mutated zombie the wizard in cloth doing AoE damage spells (that green stuff is doing AoE damage, right?).

I think he is well suited for horde nights, especially since it also clouds your vision. Getting blasted from cops and mutated from all sides could do some damage I suppose.

If he were meant as a boss zombie like the demo then he would need a massive boost though.

Is the Demo the only "boss" zombie in the game? As in, the only one that can drop a Red loot bag?

13 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Is the Demo the only "boss" zombie in the game? As in, the only one that can drop a Red loot bag?

I didn't even know there is a red loot bag. I'm judging him a boss by the demo-ralizing effect he has on horde base inhabitants 😉

13 hours ago, Survior said:

Also, outside of the summer time you can hang a deer carcass for several days without spoilage even without electricity.

Not where I am from, lol. Even winter doesn't have enough consecutive cold days for aging a carcass outside of a climate controlled environment. 

Because only someone who didn't grow up in a hunting family wouldn't know that a deer will feed a family of four ever day for a week at least,

I don't think its fair to assume that none of TFP hunt because of the game mechanics they chose.  They weren't creating  a hunting simulator. 

a deer will feed a family of four ever day for a week at least, a bear.. I can't even imagine..

A bears edible weight is about 30% of its live weight.  Which is lower than your typical deer which is about 45% (bears have heavier inedible parts than deer) 

If we take a average buck weight of 200# and 45% of that you get 90lbs of meat. In the game you get 30 meat from a buck.  A 1:3 ratio

If we take 400lbs as the weight of a NA male Brown Bear 30% will get you 120 lbs of meat.  In the game you get 50 meat from a bear.  A 1:3 ratio would get you 40 meat so the bears give plenty relative to the deer in game. 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:46 AM, Doomofman said:

Anyone else running into an issue with the latest build of getting stuck in the skills menu/inventory? As in the menus show up but you can't click anything. Sometimes opening a different menu will fix it

Yes. I have had that issue a number of times.  The cursor in the search bar is still active and it won't let you click on items.  Hitting <Enter> does not clear it. It hasn't happened in a while though. 

On 12/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, Tmodloader said:

Something I've noticed: There is no incentive to actually craft much of anything in this game aside from building shapes. All gear is easy to get from traders or looting. I just got a tier 5 steel club as a club build and I'm not even done with my 2nd week. There was no reason for me to devote any resources to crafting gear.  Before this I had just used a tier 6 stone club I found somewhere.

The situation was a bit similar back when I played a lot in A18, there wasn't much reason to craft my own stuff.

I used to agree with you more but I believe TFP have made some changes. I am playing 2hr days at 100% xp and have found crating to be extremely helpful for so far (still in the early game)  in A19 crafting was such a regretabl endeavor. 

But I am concerned about the scarcity of needle and thread. If it does not start dropping more than creating g and higher level armor will be put of the question.  I am considering just tweaking the drop rates of needle and thread so it won't be the only reason I was so late to craft armor that I am already finding it. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

Yes. I have had that issue a number of times.  The cursor in the search bar is still active and it won't let you click on items.  Hitting <Enter> does not clear it. It hasn't happened in a while though. 

Do you use Khaine's Lockable Inventory slot mod by any chance?

24 minutes ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

No.  I am running ning a dedicated server and no mods.   I finally decided to do a bug report for it and then it stopped doing it. 

I reported a bug for it too but because I was using that mod they basically told me to go **** myself. Kinda figured it wasn't the mod's fault though

Nobody reacted to my post about the overlapping city elements, so I tried some things.

- I uninstalled the game and renamed the savegame directory.

- Reinstalled the game. But I noticed that the game does still know all your game settings, like controls, video and how you want to run your 'server'. For some reason all of this is not removed when you uninstall the game.

- Started the pregen 10k map with a new save.

- Went into dev mode and went to the closest big city and found overlaps within seconds.

So my question was, is everybody having this problem? And if so, I guess this is known bug or am I for some reason the only one?

ps.

I also have sometimes trees disappearing. They are still there because I can't walk in those spots. But I had this problem also in A19.

2 hours ago, Aero said:

Nobody reacted to my post about the overlapping city elements, so I tried some things.

- I uninstalled the game and renamed the savegame directory.

- Reinstalled the game. But I noticed that the game does still know all your game settings, like controls, video and how you want to run your 'server'. For some reason all of this is not removed when you uninstall the game.

- Started the pregen 10k map with a new save.

- Went into dev mode and went to the closest big city and found overlaps within seconds.

So my question was, is everybody having this problem? And if so, I guess this is known bug or am I for some reason the only one?

ps.

I also have sometimes trees disappearing. They are still there because I can't walk in those spots. But I had this problem also in A19.

This would be a question for the General Support section. But as a first answer, start the game launcher, change to the tools tab, use the last option on that page. It allows you to delete old game setting, world and savegame files. Maybe after that your problems are already history.

4 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

I used to agree with you more but I believe TFP have made some changes. I am playing 2hr days at 100% xp and have found crating to be extremely helpful for so far (still in the early game)  in A19 crafting was such a regretabl endeavor. 

But I am concerned about the scarcity of needle and thread. If it does not start dropping more than creating g and higher level armor will be put of the question.  I am considering just tweaking the drop rates of needle and thread so it won't be the only reason I was so late to craft armor that I am already finding it. 

Are you maybe ignoring all those trash heaps?

9 hours ago, meganoth said:

Well nope - cop is more like beheaded green zombie from serious sam. btw honestly this reference can't work. okay let say armored archer can have 10 diffrent armors and bows and it would suits well and works good. and wizard can have diffrent spells etc, but  my point is : "realistic" 7dtd ( if you don't know make something in resident evil or back for blood style) is very limited  limited. Well skeleton and  human archer usually a lot of diffrences- in 7dtd it can be done so... ofc 7dtd need more bosses but (if behemot is too big)- add heavy armored zombie , better cop variant (deputy zombie) and this would solve problems

33 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well nope - cop is more like beheaded green zombie from serious sam. btw honestly this reference can't work. okay let say armored archer can have 10 diffrent armors and bows and it would suits well and works good. and wizard can have diffrent spells etc, but  my point is : "realistic" 7dtd ( if you don't know make something in resident evil or back for blood style) is very limited  limited. Well skeleton and  human archer usually a lot of diffrences- in 7dtd it can be done so... ofc 7dtd need more bosses but (if behemot is too big)- add heavy armored zombie , better cop variant (deputy zombie) and this would solve problems

I was making an analogy to show that in a balanced setting a ranged fighter has to have a disadvantage to offset the advantage that he can do damage at range.

This has all to do with balance and nothing to do with what will be implemented in 7D2D.

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I was making an analogy to show that in a balanced setting a ranged fighter has to have a disadvantage to offset the advantage that he can do damage at range.

This has all to do with balance and nothing to do with what will be implemented in 7D2D.

But he if i good understand this guy- he want to change cop into boss- so : good boss need to have something op- demo is dealing high  dmg if he explode- so cop need to have are range attack with big dmg but for example be weak like boomer from l4d2. 

22 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

But he if i good understand this guy- he want to change cop into boss- so : good boss need to have something op- demo is dealing high  dmg if he explode- so cop need to have are range attack with big dmg but for example be weak like boomer from l4d2. 

Since he didn't say anything about changing the cop I am sure you misunderstood him

20 hours ago, Aldranon said:

Adding food spoilage would solve some things wrong with food survival in 7D2D.

Counters to food spoilage could add more challenge:  Refrigeration which would need power (Ether with a generator or moving near a POI with a completed "Restore Power" quest).  

It all completes a nice plot arc.

I like the idea of food being more difficult, but I don't think spoilage is the best option, I believe personally that reducing the amount of food you find just scavenging would help. You can survive on purely scavenged food in A20 just by looting pois if you don't care about the stamina buff.

This would cause the player to be required to devote more time to hunting or trying their hand at farming, which would make food seem harder.

I'd love to see a cannery to make up for it lategame where you don't need to spend much food to create cans of food for efficiency at the cost of more time and high levels. Hell give can cooking to intelligence and leave strength as fresh food, that would be cool.

Fun can ensue in parties where the int guy keeps feeding everyone dog food.

15 hours ago, Krougal said:

Early game seems to be punishing enough, especially for new players since coming to rage about it seems to be the leading cause of new forum account creation.

I see them as experienced players that are just upset that they can't farm limitlessly early game without a point in the skill. That seems to be the leading cause. New players wouldn't even feel the difference in food between A20 and A19, you get way hungrier ever since a few alphas ago, but food is abundant. Increasing food rarity while reversing the hunger rate change would make it more new player friendly, but I assumed this hunger rate with abundance is how the devs want it since it's been this way since I think A18 or 19.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:01 PM, stupid said:

The one trope I'm not thrilled with are all of the surprise attacks behind every closet door, or trying to avoid the trigger which causes everything to wake up and fall from the ceiling at once

My experience with this has been ok, if you sneak around when they wake up, they still don't know where you are and just either stand there or wander around. 

20 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

If you demand hardcore realism you should not play a game that includes zombies in the first place but rather switch to flight simulator or something. A bear gives you 50 meat which feeds your character for 1-3 days, depending on cooking skills and activities. That are a few hours of playtime where you don't have to worry about starving. Sounds good to me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

That sounds like realism to me, I'm sure I could get a few days out of a bear too.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:13 AM, Lord Morphleyes said:

Only a person who has never field dressed and butchered a bear with a shard of bone in the wilderness with no refrigeration, all by themselves and with frequent wandering packs of coyotes and dire wolves would think that only getting a few meals out of it is not immersive

It reminds me of people complaining that bears have too much hp. I've never hunted but as far as I know bears are tough as nails out there and you need special equipment to hunt them. Some people think a regular pistol shot to the head would kill a bear instantly somehow. 

On 12/31/2021 at 12:12 AM, falloutcloud said:

I think the ol' laundromat was either removed or redone to the point I don't recognize it anymore. It was a great POI to get started in.

Yeah, it was redone. On the front of the poi, it's called "Gores Laundromat". However, it still does have all the laundry machines in it!

Archived