Is it worth maxing out a stat?

Silverjohn

Back to the game after a long hiatus and I was wanting to ask a quick question.

Since you can get to 7 in an attribute and have tier 4 in the assorted skills for just 8 points (12 counting what you put into the skills itself) but then have to spend another 8 points to get your attribute to level 10 to get the tier 5 skill is it really worth it? Looking at the actual increases in damage to get those last few percentages it doesn't really seem worth it when you could build up another stat to compliment your main skills. The reward to cost ratio just doesn't seem to be there unless you're an ocd min/maxer. Or am I missing something?

As MM has stated many to really get into game or into your character you need to RP. This what your character is training himself for. Basically you play with limitations, makes game more interesting. If you're just playing the game, then no.

Mind that to buy ranks 4 and 5 of most skills of any given skill in a tree you do need the associated Stat at level 7 and 10 respectively; So if there's a skill you want all 5 ranks of, Yes, you want to max out the stat it's associated with. So you're not only buying the stat for the minor bonuses the stat itself gives; You're buying the stat up for the additional skill levels it unlocks in the tree.

That said, I generally stop most stats at 3 or 5 in the short term; 2-3 ranks of most skills is plenty to get along with; And only max to 10 the one that has my weapons of choice.

Thank you for the replies. For the role play element I was making a hunter/settler style character and I went to 7 in Agility as soon as I could as sneaking with a cross bow with hunting knives for back up melee seems to be in theme and makes me a lot more survivable. If it's not essential to max out that stat I may branch off and try some of the other skills in other stat trees. The tracking skill in perception and master chef in strength are what have caught my eye.

It's not supposed to be essential to max out any given attribute.

Depending on who you ask each of the 5 attributes can be best. There is no objectively best attribute because play styles vary too much.

The right balance of attributes? Only you can answer that.

I agree with you, the only skills i really like to max are the endurence branch and intelligence. The rest I dont focus max.

My brother! <knucks>

Almost nobody talks about putting points into intelligence because you can "just find or buy" schematics or items. Since I play 95% co-op I love being the crafter and letting my playing partner specialize in brutishness or whatever it is he does. I'm able to craft anything we need when we need it, not relying on RNGeesus to provide. It is sometimes annoying to find all Motorcycle parts right after I spent two points or whatever to learn it, but whatever.

Our current game, though, he is trying the pugilist track and I am trying strength + agility. So far we have one bicycle. Normally by now I'd have built us both minibikes. But I am pretty deadly with spears, which is a change.

Some skills can be ether/or.

An example, for A19 with the proposed limited canned goods:

1) Spec out growing crops so you can get Pumpkins and corn growing, Pumpkin bread is great long term for both SP or MP.

-or-

2) Spec out iron gut to 4% buff vs food poisoning and eat corn bread without worry. A SP solution.

In the end, you can always grab a bottle of that Fergit Elixir (It's spelt somewhat like that in game) and it'll reset your skills and you can reallocate them how you want.

There are some macro things you can do with that.

So, before you "Fergit":

1) Max out crafting and make a few of every item you like.

2) Cook up a chest full of top quality food items. Or two chests...

I wonder, did "The Duke" give the player a spiked version of the Fergit Elixir as he thought he needed to pin a note to you?

Only stat to 10 (or 9 + nerdy Glasses) is INTelligence so you can get 5/5 Better barter to get Solar Panels locked away in the Vendors secret stash and get quality 6 Solar panels. Outside that NO, stat to 7 or 5 gets you most what you need mechanically speaking.

Oh you need Better barter 3/5 for the Night vision goggles to.

The last points are expensive for their effect, but you might as well; having 6 points waiting to be spent won't do anything. It's not like you Need them anywhere else..

- adding odd points to weapons you don't use doesn't do anything;

- you've clearly survived without the quality-of-life things, nothing stopping you from surviving with a maxed stat instead of potato seeds.

You'll never run out of skills that would do "something", so it's all a matter of what you value most at the current time. Most of the stuff just does very little later in game :)

It's not supposed to be essential to max out any given attribute.

Depending on who you ask each of the 5 attributes can be best. There is no objectively best attribute because play styles vary too much.

The right balance of attributes? Only you can answer that.

Well you are shoehorned into certain attributes for certain things, like if you wanna be a good miner with good resource yeilds, your going to need 7 str to be able to max miner 69'er and motherload. If you wanna stealth at all, your going to need 10 agi as it really doesn't any get good till you have at least 7 at least for the sneaking around part. There is no other way to get those bonuses elsewhere. If you wanna be the best crafter you can be your shoehorned into intel, not so much for the recipes, but for the craft time reduction and lower mat costs.

The major 2 shoehorns though is Stealth perks in agility, or the mining stuff in str. The mining stuff is less of an issue in a multiplayer game if your with a group, but if your playing single player? you pretty much NEED to hit 7 str to max miner 69'er and motherload. I mean sure you can go without but its extremly inefficent as hell. Takes much longer to mine and you have to mine twice as much for the same mats that someone with 7 str can get. I'd like to see top rank of miner 69'er/motherload only need 5 str, and maybe be reduced from 5 perks down to 3. same for the stealther stuff, IMO only the weapon skills themselves should really require 10 in a stat to max. Maybe give lower ranks of the weapon perks lower boosts and buff the higher level of the perks so its more worth it.

Its been beaten to death but I still think a16.4's learn by doing system was best, it just needing some tweaking is all. I'd love that system to come back at least just for mining tools, and the weapon perks. Not going to happen though but I can dream.

Only stat to 10 (or 9 + nerdy Glasses) is INTelligence so you can get 5/5 Better barter to get Solar Panels locked away in the Vendors secret stash and get quality 6 Solar panels. Outside that NO, stat to 7 or 5 gets you most what you need mechanically speaking.

Oh you need Better barter 3/5 for the Night vision goggles to.

Yeah, you can find them in loot but they are stupidly rare. For the Night vision goggles, I wish they were a tad more common, I really hate when they put in the ai change so zombies react to your headlamp. I miss when they didn't. Mind you if you do want it that way its a very simple xml tweak to get it like that, I don't use it, as I deem it as a cheat as they are meant to notice it.

My brother! <knucks>

Almost nobody talks about putting points into intelligence because you can "just find or buy" schematics or items. Since I play 95% co-op I love being the crafter and letting my playing partner specialize in brutishness or whatever it is he does. I'm able to craft anything we need when we need it, not relying on RNGeesus to provide. It is sometimes annoying to find all Motorcycle parts right after I spent two points or whatever to learn it, but whatever.

Our current game, though, he is trying the pugilist track and I am trying strength + agility. So far we have one bicycle. Normally by now I'd have built us both minibikes. But I am pretty deadly with spears, which is a change.

I dont put in intelect cause the crafting stuff, I focus intelect cause barter skill, rewards from quests, junk turrets, Physics skill and Advanced Enginering...

- Turrets are OP when moded and help very much in BM nights, they have the most cheapest ammo in the game, they can even be used as a normal gun or a stationary gun. I use 2 turrets in the start of the game, one as a weapon, another estationary, when the estationary run out of ammo, I swap with the one I am handling, so I have a turret working all the time.

- The trading skill is great too, save you Money from buying and give you more Money from selling, Money can be smelted and turned into bullet case... The more Money you have, more ammo you have.

- The Daring Adventurer skill give you great rewards, auger, chainsaw, first aid kits, dukes, weapons, books...

- With Advanced Enginering you can craft forged steel more cheap, without it you pay 30 iron and 15 clay per bar, with the skill maxed you can craft steel ingots with 20 iron and 10 clay. It is perfect to a builder like me who spent lots of steel fortifying my external walls.

- With the Physics skills my healling is more effective, In a situation I need 2 bandage to heal my HP, I can use just one with same ammount of healling and plus: more fast healling, and on top of that I can help a friend, get good exp and heal myself with just ONE item! The less healling I spent, more I will have to use.

- With Science I can craft gunpowder and fuel more cheap. Needless to say what uses there are for gunpowder and fuel.

The Intelect branch not are just for crafting purposes, it is for the economic purposes, most of it. The more you save, the more you will have and less time you will spent looting. Of course you can learn all crafting stuff by recipes, but the true economic advantages you wont get just Reading recipes.

Anyway, sorry for the grammar, hope you understand my gamestyle strategy.

Thats also true that its about play style. Only thing I use intelligent for is better barter. I'm a looter, loot everything then sell everything. Then I just buy all ammo I need. Almost never run out of ammo.

once I have auger I have so much iron to smelt, I dont need to worry about wasting any.

Archived