Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

57 minutes ago, Dethar said:

The only reason you would be hated is because you are trying to tell people how to play. Why do you care how other people play. If you don't want to play that way, good for you. Don't try to shove your play style down other people's throat.

because the way you play shouldn't be forced on me either there is a difficulty level. If one wants to build and not get his base wrecked turn it lower, if one actually wants to be challenged in the SURVIVAL fantasy zombie apocalypse where stuff actually gets wrecked turn it higher. Asking for more options has been joked about like its a pipe dream when its exactly what it needs.

@faatal

For your awareness The Grand Spartan appears to have defeated the horde AI, though I'm not sure he's aware of it. He took the advice of some folks and used vertical poles to create a large density of HP to hold up his bird's nest. What unfolded was a call back to A16 horde mechanics where the zeds mostly just milled around underneath his horde base and couldn't seem to figure out that they needed to actually attack the blocks. If you watch the end, you'll see that there was extremely low damage on his base. This is almost equivalent to wedge tips.

He doubled up hordes, though his second run of his day 7 is on his second stream (which is still processing on youtube).

Watch the last 15 minutes of his stream here: 

Those pathing issues don't look too good, hopefully they are just some random slip-up and will be fixed easily.

What stroke me the most was the fact he had an AK47 with close to 900 bullets on day 7, I hope he turned up loot abundance, but even with 200% that seems far too much.

2 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Those pathing issues don't look too good, hopefully they are just some random slip-up and will be fixed easily.

What stroke me the most was the fact he had an AK47 with close to 900 bullets on day 7, I hope he turned up loot abundance, but even with 200% that seems far too much.

He obtained everything on the stream (though I wasn't watching it too closely). He is known for looting next to nothing besides the most useful stuff and blitzing POIs. He gets a crazy amount of ammo during his normal gameplay loop.

I don't honestly know his loot settings though, I only know he plays on Warrior.

2 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Judging by the other content creators I have been watching... Their loot abundance is probably not turned up. Getting thousands more ammo for even day 7 seems to be the norm now, unless it's balanced accordingly. *Shrugs*

The ammo for A19 does seem quite crazy. Usually they have like 8 full stacks of 7.62 and don't even have a gun to use it with. It seems like every streamer I've seen has said the Auto shottie is ridiculously OP and some even specifically try not to use it because it just deletes an entire room.

Still some balancing to do between those things and Junk Sledge etc, but it is an early experimental after all so I'm sure it's being tweaked pretty much daily at this point

5 minutes ago, beHypE said:

Yeah, with THAT much ammo, even people like me would be tempted to actually fight a BM horde with bullets.  :)

Just now, Khalagar said:

The ammo for A19 does seem quite crazy. Usually they have like 8 full stacks of 7.62 and don't even have a gun to use it with

Yeah, in A18 you can expect on average about 90-100 shotgun shells, a stack of 9mm, and a little over a stack of 7.62 by the first horde night. In A19 so far it seems to be about triple that, or even more. Maybe it's to compensate for lower tier weapons we'll be getting after the stone age, or it's meant for people who dislike mining? Or perhaps simply an unbalance. Regardless, by the time Monday hits and the rest of us mice get to *hopefully* play A19, we can send our feedback as needed. :)

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Yeah, in A18 you can expect on average about 90-100 shotgun shells, a stack of 9mm, and a little over a stack of 7.62 by the first horde night. In A19 so far it seems to be about triple that, or even more. Maybe it's to compensate for lower tier weapons we'll be getting after the stone age, or it's meant for people who dislike mining? Or perhaps simply an unbalance. Regardless, by the time Monday hits and the rest of us mice get to *hopefully* play A19, we can send our feedback as needed. :)

It could be TFP want to remove mining altogether.  The things they could do with a Non-Voxel game using the same computer has to be a strong temptation for them.

4 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

It could be TFP want to remove mining altogether.  The things they could do with a Non-Voxel game using the same computer has to be a strong temptation for them.

Maybe. But come to think of it, maybe it's future prep to deal with the upcoming bandits.

20 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Maybe. But come to think of it, maybe it's future prep to deal with the upcoming bandits.

If you need that much ammo, it has some scary implications.  Could turn into a wild and crazy game with "Dead-is-Dead" being a thing of the past.

But I suspect there will be mining in their next game, but it'll be similar to how Skyrim does it, as previously spitballed by TFP. As a matter of fact, such a POI (that contains ex resources that aren't part of the terrain) already exists in 7D2D and all that's missing is that respawn function, and that is the Dump N' Lung Coal Mine.

1 minute ago, Aldranon said:

Of you need that much ammo, it has some scary implications.  Could turn into a wild and crazy game with "Dead-is-Dead" being a thing of the past.

Perhaps; zombies in 7D2D could become like the undead in The Walking Dead series, providing a threat once in a blue moon (or to be more accurate, once in a red moon ;) ) but the bandits are the main source of trouble. I hope this isn't the case however and it's balanced between the two, but hey, that's just my silly personal preference and opinion.

20 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

Madmole has said exactly that before, but IMO that would kill the game, for me at least if no one else. I play 7 Days for the digging and building destruction etc. It's what this games unique draw is over the other zombie games. Without the digging, it would be pretty much just directly competing against games like that, as well as the big dogs in the survival crafting genre like Ark and Conan.

I would much rather them just focus on the underground stuff and add way more underground content like caves, underground zombie nests, underground digging type zombies etc. The "Minecraft for Adults" aspect is this games most unique feature and what lets it be one of the big names in the genre. If they embraced that aspect they could definitely carve out a pretty solid niche that isn't really that exploited atm. If they drop it, it would just be another The Forest type game which are a dime a dozen

1 minute ago, Khalagar said:

Madmole has said exactly that before, but IMO that would kill the game, for me at least if no one else. I play 7 Days for the digging and building destruction etc. It's what this games unique draw is over the other zombie games. Without the digging, it would be pretty much just directly competing against games like that, as well as the big dogs in the survival crafting genre like Ark and Conan

I highly, highly doubt that mining will ever be downright removed from 7D2D; this isn't Alpha 5 or 6, this is Alpha 19, probably a couple to a few years away from gold. Sure, they may attempt to wean us off of mining a bit (maybe in preparation for their next non-voxel based game), but the chances of them removing mining or making it obsolete in this game are about the same as removing crafting or building entirely. Again though, it's all up to speculation. Let's see where this train takes us.

16 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

That would surprise me to be honest. I don't think we'll see bandits 1 year from now, it seems farfetched to think they would already raise ammo abundance in "preparation" for a yet to come feature. Especially since ammo abundance probably has a simple to change base value.

Besides, while TFP have done wonders in a lot of areas, seeing all the AI issues Alpha after Alpha kinda raise my concerns about how well implemented bandits can/will be in the end. Making an intelligent, human like AI that is believable is so much more complicated than basic pathing-routes discovery, and even that is far from perfect right now.

1 minute ago, Khalagar said:

Yeah, it's very unlikely to happen in 7 Days, but they have already talked about 7 Days 2 a lot, which would be where they drop it if they were going to

7 Days to Die 2? 2 7 Days to Die? 14 Days to Die? 7 Days to Cry? 7 More Ways to Die? 7 Ways to Fly? Whatever, we'll see what they make. 😛

Just now, beHypE said:

That would surprise me to be honest. I don't think we'll see bandits 1 year from now, it seems farfetched to think they would already raise ammo abundance in "preparation" for a yet to come feature. Especially since ammo abundance probably has a simple to change base value.

Besides, while TFP have done wonders in a lot of areas, seeing all the AI issues Alpha after Alpha kinda raise my concerns about how well implemented bandits can/will be in the end. Making an intelligent, human like AI that is believable is so much more complicated than basic pathing-routes discovery, and even that is far from perfect right now.

I'll reason that it's broken then, or just simply unbalanced. Regardless, a little under 2 days to go! :)

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

7 Days to Die 2? 2 7 Days to Die? 14 Days to Die? 7 Days to Cry? 7 More Ways to Die? 7 Ways to Fly? Whatever, we'll see what they make. 😛

7 Dies Twoday. Except that's a Star Trek Voyager game.

Archived