Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I’m wondering if you put a block in a doorway, place junk sledge on the block. Then you could use your club while the sledge does its thing for zombies trying to come through the door. If you get a group of zombies, that setup just might be ideal. It’s going to be fun trying to discover the best ways to use it.

12 minutes ago, Star69 said:

I’m wondering if you put a block in a doorway, place junk sledge on the block. Then you could use your club while the sledge does its thing for zombies trying to come through the door. If you get a group of zombies, that setup just might be ideal. It’s going to be fun trying to discover the best ways to use it.

Glock already tried that and it's not very effective sadly.

14 minutes ago, Star69 said:

I’m wondering if you put a block in a doorway, place junk sledge on the block. Then you could use your club while the sledge does its thing for zombies trying to come through the door.

Zombies treat turrets like an impassible block as best I can tell. They path around them. So if  you put your junk turret directly in front of / behind your door, the zombies will just tear out the wall instead because they will consider the door inaccessible.

Now, that raises the question of what would happen if you built your entire base out of junk turrets or lined the walls with a row of junk turrets, but they'd probably find the support holding the whole thing up or dig down or something

The combat music gets old relatively quickly. Our brain doesn't process the tiny details of variance in it and instead sticks with the sci fi techno electro tune that rules that particular track,  eventually resulting in annoyance. The same happens with ambient music, but that doesn't stress the player and I found myself longing for it even at 80% .

My point being : 7 days to die needs more battle tracks with different lead tunes. Also, 1 ambient track per biome mixed with the actual tracks would be awesome too. Tracks for city, country side and so on wouldn't hurt either.

Edit: And a couple of beers and a pimp hat if you don't mind.

1 minute ago, Blake_ said:

The combat music gets old relatively quickly. Our brain doesn't process the tiny details of variance in it and instead sticks with the sci fi techno electro tune that rules that particular track,  eventually resulting in annoyance. The same happens with ambient music, but that doesn't stress the player and I found myself longing for it even at 80% .

My point being : 7 days to die needs more battle tracks with different lead tunes. Also, 1 ambient track per biome mixed with the actual tracks would be awesome too. Tracks for city, country side and so on wouldn't hurt either.

I'm probably just going to turn off music when raiding POI's (I'm listening for the zombies anyway) and during horde nights, when the combat music will be playing the most. I enjoy the rest of the music however.

40 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

or a Combat music setting!

ON OR OFF

you want to have music for the background but don't want Combat music? Sure

Want No background music but want combat music? Sure!

WANT NO MUSIC? SURE!!!!!

but maybe that will be a thing for A.19.1 2 or 6

23 minutes ago, bloodmoth13 said:

are there 3 tiers of stun batons now? or is it still the only melee weapon with no t3 option?

Nope, 1 tier only which is why I don't like the "Junk Sledge is only a T1!!!" defense. Stun Baton and Junk Sledge are basically outside the tier types as they are only melee weapons Int even has and both fill unrelated niches from the other weapons in the tree and from each other.

I think a lot of confusion comes even on the dev side from the different terminology and  fact that there aren't three tiers, there are four, but a lot of weapons are missing their 4th tier.

So some are saying "Junk Sledge is only a Stone Sledge" when it's not, it's a Iron Sledge equivalent and doesn't spawn until Iron Sledges and iron weapons do. So it's being balanced against Tier 0 weapons like the Wooden Club and Stone Sledge when it's not a tier 0 weapon

I've always been pretty critical of this game and haven't played since A17. I finally gave A18 a whirl, and damn, what an improvement. It really brings back the feeling of being able to play the way you want to play, but also balances it with some firm but fair level gating. I don't know what's in store for A19, but I'm pretty optimistic after seeing the massive improvement A18 brought. I never thought this game would come as far as it has, but this is pretty amazing. Much respect to the devs for sticking with this project for so long. I think I can see myself as one of those fanboys now. At this point I would be happy if 7D never left alpha and continued improving until I'm dead. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, stupid said:

I've always been pretty critical of this game and haven't played since A17. I finally gave A18 a whirl, and damn, what an improvement. It really brings back the feeling of being able to play the way you want to play, but also balances it with some firm but fair level gating. I don't know what's in store for A19, but I'm pretty optimistic after seeing the massive improvement A18 brought. I never thought this game would come as far as it has, but this is pretty amazing. Much respect to the devs for sticking with this project for so long. I think I can see myself as one of those fanboys now. At this point I would be happy if 7D never left alpha and continued improving until I'm dead. Thank you!

Lifetime of free updates.  I can get behind that. :)

hey Madmole or any other dev, how do you guys feel about steam workshop support for custom prefabs and POIS? We could make our own prefabs and share it with anybody who wanted to use it without pesky modding tools like Vortex/NMM

Do you see that ever being implemented? If so how would it work? 

24 minutes ago, CholulaSouls said:

hey Madmole or any other dev, how do you guys feel about steam workshop support for custom prefabs and POIS? We could make our own prefabs and share it with anybody who wanted to use it without pesky modding tools like Vortex/NMM

Do you see that ever being implemented? If so how would it work? 

They said on several occasions during the dev streams, that they will do Steam workshop support, and SDK etc., once the game is done. Alpha development changes too many things too frequently to do this now.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:11 AM, xfejiou5 said:

So the huge melee range issue is still not fixed? What a shame. I wonder if this will ever be returned to its previous, sane state.

No time to fix yet. It is also a two way street, since player melee ranges are also too long.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:51 AM, madmole said:

Not true, there is a 100% chance with the option Delete all on death.

True, but that is 100% and the change log was referring to deleting back packs from the bug.

8 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Watched Jonahs day 14 horde night turned up to survivalist. He did it in a garbage dumpster with a ramp and floating quarter block. After watching faatals bit on the devs stream I thought that he said that half would path and half would attack. It seemed too easy anyway.

I was talking about ramp jump loops. He made a ramp path to himself. There was no jump gap, so the zombies just took the path.

2 hours ago, stupid said:

What the.... Is this real? Somebody is punking me, right? I feel like I need to email the real Stupid and let him know his account's been hacked.... ;)

1 hour ago, faatal said:

I was talking about ramp jump loops. He made a ramp path to himself. There was no jump gap, so the zombies just took the path.

okay so I don't want to take away from what you did cause it is progress, they can't cross the wedge tip and that was a big exploit! They can't do the loop!

I'm also pretty sure I'm hated at this point cause my views don't equal fun which seems to be the main goal now.

If you look at my previous posts I am a fan of permadeath and am pretty much a 7 days to die masochist which is not your main focus and crowd and I know you really don't have to answer this. Also everything I say is because I want this to be better and actually for 'everybody.'

Is there a chance they will ever act less like 'that' and more like they acted in earlier versions. I hate to say it but they acted more liked Zeds in A16 or before, even when they were running in circles. They are lining up for the kill shot, its fish in a barrel. I'd rather see them throwing there soulless corpses into my end game meat grinder and attacking everything before I can trick them into jumping into it then the state they are in now.

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

okay so I don't want to take away from what you did cause it is progress, they can't cross the wedge tip and that was a big exploit! They can't do the loop!

I'm also pretty sure I'm hated at this point cause my views don't equal fun which seems to be the main goal now.

If you look at my previous posts I am a fan of permadeath and am pretty much a 7 days to die masochist which is not your main focus and crowd and I know you really don't have to answer this. Also everything I say is because I want this to be better and actually for 'everybody.'

Is there a chance they will ever act less like 'that' and more like they acted in earlier versions. I hate to say it but they acted more liked Zeds in A16 or before, even when they were running in circles. They are lining up for the kill shot, its fish in a barrel. I'd rather see them throwing there soulless corpses into my end game meat grinder and attacking everything before I can trick them into jumping into it then the state they are in now.

The only reason you would be hated is because you are trying to tell people how to play. Why do you care how other people play. If you don't want to play that way, good for you. Don't try to shove your play style down other people's throat.

Archived