madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

1 minute ago, FileMachete said:

To me what would be "most beneficial" for a flying drone in a zompoc would be scouting.

And I wouldn't expect that finding a flying camera drone would be all that hard.

Batteries & charging could be a challenge; depends on if you know anything about electronics.

Likely the most difficult bit would be finding a compatible tablet/cell, that already had the drone app on it. Good luck downloading it off the internet, heh.

Could always use a small 2 stroke engine hooked to a small generator (which is basically an electric motor with something turning the drive shaft causing the coils to generate power) to produce the power for the drone, the controller could be set up similarly...

4 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

To me what would be "most beneficial" for a flying drone in a zompoc would be scouting.

And I wouldn't expect that finding a flying camera drone would be all that hard.

Batteries & charging could be a challenge; depends on if you know anything about electronics.

Likely the most difficult bit would be finding a compatible tablet/cell, that already had the drone app on it. Good luck downloading it off the internet, heh.

Yeah, tbh honest software and control would be the bigger challenge. But the physical anatomy part, no way. Most drones evolved from existing off the shelf parts as it is, mainly from the hobby sector in the early days, but their success took off and now the market is SATURATED in usable components for making drones at all levels, sizes, and abilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

its on the 29th :(

i wanna play SO badly! 

streamers get it early to stream and show

Yeah, I was watching Grumbul on my lunch break

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

Pssst, don't tell aynone, but ... still possible WITH drones. 😉

Pssst, it's even possible with a beautiful female voiced healing/attacking drone 😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

They spawn in cities now, so its easier to ensure 1 per biome.

This is honestly an interesting and, in my opinion, fantastic change... but still, it only half-answers my question. 😛 Is one trader guaranteed to spawn per biome, or could you end up in a situation like I described above? (4 in the forest, 1 in the desert. None in the burnt biome? Whoops, tough luck son.)

Unless you can half more than one of each biome in the new RWG instead of 1 biome of each.

21 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

No, no, it's not a companion. This is a first aid kit with a propeller and a loot bag. Companion - this is something like a dog, that can be petted as in "Blair witch".

(I love cats)

Your in luck, if the drone makes it in, modders can and probably use the same  mechanic to probably replace it with a cat....minus the laser beam if that's still too immersion breaking for your tastes...😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

This is honestly an interesting and, in my opinion, fantastic change... but still, it only half-answers my question. 😛 Is one trader guaranteed to spawn per biome, or could you end up in a situation like I described above? (4 in the forest, 1 in the desert. None in the burnt biome? Whoops, tough luck son.)

Unless you can half more than one of each biome in the new RWG instead of 1 biome of each.

Corrected by @Kosmic Kerman

Edited by Trankitas (see edit history)

Just now, Trankitas said:

I'm not sure but, i think at least trader with the log cabin (i don't remember his name) spawns only in the snow per example

Patch notes say traders are no longer limited to specific biomes.

7 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

Yeah, tbh honest software and control would be the bigger challenge. But the physical anatomy part, no way. Most drones evolved from existing off the shelf parts as it is, mainly from the hobby sector in the early days, but their success took off and now the market is SATURATED in usable components for making drones at all levels, sizes, and abilities.

Theres a guy on youtube that even made a drone using lego parts...😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trankitas said:

I'm not sure but, i think at least the trader with the log cabin (i don't remember his name) spawns only in the snow per example

In the changelog it stated that Hugh and Joel can now spawn in any biome.

4 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Your in luck, if the drone makes it in, modders can and probably use the same  mechanic to probably replace it with a cat....minus the laser beam if that's still too immersion breaking for your tastes...😂

Yeah, that laser beam... I expected the zombies to be disintegrated or something. XD

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

My bad, I missed that one! 

In that case, I join with a +1 to your question about 1 trader per biome.

or like the swarm of small , explosively charged drones with facial recognition...that the United States military is currently testing to eliminate specific targets...cheap , produced in massive quantities and effective...Drones are fun! ;) 

Just keep a tennis racket on hand to swat them little @%$*#!s lol

It's funny how he seems so opposed to the robot specifically being a "companion"... n2n1 is a "robophobe"... lol, is that a word? It is now. Anyway MOST people, you not being one and that is fine, actually assign anthroporphism on all kinds of things. Like naming your car, or talking to a volley ball with a face on it.

My first ever robot was a companion for the elderly, back in 2000, and it also monitored their drug schedules, helped them with simple tasks, etc. That was a prototype, the reality of THAT level of interaction is still difficult, blame software. Point is that some people are VERY likely to treat a drone as an actual companion, some people just scoff at the idea, but it is rare, by far most humans do this. I also worked on a $50k teddy bear at the MIT Media Lab that was built specifically as a companion. Heck most of my career is taking functional anatomy and making it more attractive, giving it personality, for the specific purpose of being a better companion.

Oh, and the "big new thing" in robotic arms, the largest robot anatomy sector on Earth(drones are up there too though) is... wait for it... CO-BOTS... as in Companion Robots, working alongside humans, safely, and interactively. Ffs one company, UR, realized this early and now dominates half the market because, unlike n1n2, they get it.

5 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

The Cat, a flying cat.

I'll probably make a flying Cat that shoots cuteness. It won't break the atmosphere. Cats never disturb the atmosphere....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Yeah, that laser beam... I expected the zombies to be disintegrated or something. XD

You mean like this? 😂

crdyoGg.gif

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

You mean like this? 😂

crdyoGg.gif

BIGGER! I want some sort of phantasmal deathray that vaporizes them into the 4th dimension!

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

It's funny how he seems so opposed to the robot specifically being a "companion"... n2n1 is a "robophobe"... lol, is that a word? It is now. Anyway MOST people, you not being one and that is fine, actually assign anthroporphism on all kinds of things. Like naming your car, or talking to a volley ball with a face on it.

My first ever robot was a companion for the elderly, back in 2000, and it also monitored their drug schedules, helped them with simple tasks, etc. That was a prototype, the reality of THAT level of interaction is still difficult, blame software. Point is that some people are VERY likely to treat a drone as an actual companion, some people just scoff at the idea, but it is rare, by far most humans do this. I also worked on a $50k teddy bear at the MIT Media Lab that was built specifically as a companion. Heck most of my career is taking functional anatomy and making it more attractive, giving it personality, for the specific purpose of being a better companion.

Oh, and the "big new thing" in robotic arms, the largest robot anatomy sector on Earth(drones are up there too though) is... wait for it... CO-BOTS... as in Companion Robots, working alongside humans, safely, and interactively. Ffs one company, UR, realized this early and now dominates half the market because, unlike n1n2, they get it.

N2n1 is a robophobe LOL!!! We don't deserve your posts, they are too good.

1 minute ago, Mechanimal said:

omg.. I almost forgot about this... perfect time to remind me... enjoy:

my mom showed me this and i laughed my @%$*#! off!

it is sad tho! poor cat!

2 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

omg.. I almost forgot about this... perfect time to remind me... enjoy:

Now that's a MechAnimal! (He took it too far IMO...)

Just now, Trankitas said:

Now that's a MechAnimal! (He took it too far IMO...)

Yes, he certainly did... by himself.. in the countryside... as a hobbyist... years ago... old news, not "unrealistic". Although perhaps some things, like this actual @%$*#!ing cat drone, should not be real. Humans gonna human, even in the apocalypse. Someone m-word this in for n2n1 so he can have his cat companion.

1 minute ago, KuriousTurtle said:

I wonder what the chances are of us getting it Sunday evening are

0%

sadly

Spoiler

EVEN THOUGH I WANT TO PLAY!!!! IM SO BORED!

30 minutes ago, madmole said:

They spawn in cities now, so its easier to ensure 1 per biome.

so wait, they are legit INSIDE the city? cause this is a dream come true. Now i can post up in a city with a base and just be happy Q.Q