Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

12 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

So... Jawoodle found a level one double barrel at the beginning of his game (at 8:05 on his video)... The loot rebalance isn't quite perfect it seems. 😛

Cuda found one like day 2 or 3 too. I'm surprised by how much ammo he's been finding, by day 7 he had like 600 shotgun shells and 6 stacks of 7.62mm and probably nearly a thousand 9mm

Just now, Khalagar said:

Cuda found one like day 2 or 3 too. I'm surprised by how much ammo he's been finding, by day 7 he had like 600 shotgun shells and 6 stacks of 7.62mm and probably nearly a thousand 9mm

I thought I heard something about TFP increasing the ammo spawns, but that is a little too much, yeah.

Also, Kage found out that Big Momma is invincible while zombie AI is turned on. 😛

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticClearSowShadyLulu

Yess! I finally got someone to try the Junk Sledge! Devs leave that ragdoll on other players, it's so good. Of course, 2 seconds after making it he tested it and it was completely and totally useless and he almost died 1 vs 1 to a basic zombie,  so he's currently ranting about wasting all his mats on it after we harassed him to make it and he's probably about to rage sell it, but still!

I think the sledge would be at least kind of usable if it scaled in any way with int or the junk skill, it's kind of silly that it doesn't. Extra attack speed and damage would definitely not be OP on it, it rocking a whopping 14 damage is pretty lul

20 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

From what I have seen from most streamers, they have loot turned up

Just now, Dethar said:

From what I have seen from most streamers, they have loot turned up

It has nothing to do with loot abundance, it's about loot gamestage, which is now a 1 to 1 ratio with your regular gamestage. Just an inconsistency, I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticClearSowShadyLulu

Yess! I finally got someone to try the Junk Sledge! Devs leave that ragdoll on other players, it's so good. Of course, 2 seconds after making it he tested it and it was completely and totally useless and he almost died 1 vs 1 to a basic zombie,  so he's currently ranting about wasting all his mats on it after we harassed him to make it and he's probably about to rage sell it, but still!

I think the sledge would be at least kind of usable if it scaled in any way with int or the junk skill, it's kind of silly that it doesn't. Extra attack speed and damage would definitely not be OP on it, it rocking a whopping 14 damage is pretty lul

Aaaaaand he's selling it. 😛

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Aaaaaand he's selling it. 😛

Yep, less than like 5 minutes after making it he's rage selling it and going to respec to get his point back. RIP Junk Sledge, needs some serious buffs. He's the only streamer I've even seen try it after the horrific showings it had during the dev streams. Definitely in need of a lot of tweaking. I'm confused on why it doesn't even scale with int or the junk skill, if it at least got attack speed and damage from the perks it would scale so a level 10 int character with 5/5 Junk skill would be better than a level 1 character using it lol

Even with it not costing stamina usage to use,  in a playthrough where he's been out of stamina 24/7, he still says it's terrible =(

Edit: Also after looking at it, the Junk Sledge literally does less damage than Cuda's wooden club lol. The Junk Sledge doesn't even start spawning until stuff like the Iron Sledgehammer and guns start spawning despite them being "Tier 2" and the Junk Sledge only being "Tier 1".  It's not a primitive age weapon, but it loses in damage to basically everything even in the primitive age, let alone in the  iron age when you get it. He rushed straight to crafting it and it was already out classed

He quite literally traded his futuristic automated sledgehammer for a wooden stick and went back to the stone age wooden club and increased his damage by nearly 50% by going from 14 to 20 . . .rip

3 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Yep, less than like 5 minutes after making it he's rage selling it and going to get his point back. RIP Junk Sledge, needs some serious buffs. He's the only streamer I've even seen try it after the horrific showings it had during the dev streams. Definitely in need of a lot of tweaking. I'm confused on why it doesn't even scale with int or the junk skill, if it at least got attack speed and damage from the perks it would scale so a level 10 int character with 5/5 Junk skill would be better than a level 1 character using it lol

All it needs is a higher chance to ragdoll enemies. It's not designed to kill them, just render the zeds harmless as you do the dirty work. Currently it needs to hit zombies 3 or 4 times to ragdoll them sometimes, which is no bueno. 😛

It's a fine balance though. It can't be ragdolling zombies all the time or it would be OP at that point.

It being a ragdoll machine would be good if it didn't take your junk turret spots. I srsly think you should be able to throw out two junk turrets + two junk sledges. ATM dual junk sledges would add so little it's a non factor. The other builds all got buffed by getting new Tier 3 weapons, I don't think it's unreasonable for the Int build to get some new end game toys and slightly higher over all damage in the form of 4 total turrets (2 Sledge + Gun Turret).

The T3 for Int isn't for offense and if the Drone also takes a junk turret slot, it would cripple the Int tree compared to the other trees getting better. Int  would lose massive DPS to use the drone by giving up one of their main guns, and every other build would be able to use the drone for "free" since the other builds don't generally use junk turrets and won't care to lose their unperked junk turret in favor of the drone.  Especially since drone doesn't scale with int or the perk, so a shotgun build could throw out a drone and have the exact same benefit as a fully perked Junk Build, except they wouldn't be losing 50% of their damage in the process like Junk build would

#justiceForJunk

5 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Yep, less than like 5 minutes after making it he's rage selling it and going to respec to get his point back. RIP Junk Sledge, needs some serious buffs. He's the only streamer I've even seen try it after the horrific showings it had during the dev streams. Definitely in need of a lot of tweaking. I'm confused on why it doesn't even scale with int or the junk skill, if it at least got attack speed and damage from the perks it would scale so a level 10 int character with 5/5 Junk skill would be better than a level 1 character using it lol

Even with it not costing stamina usage to use,  in a playthrough where he's been out of stamina 24/7, he still says it's terrible =(

Edit: Also after looking at it, the Junk Sledge literally does less damage than Cuda's wooden club lol. The Junk Sledge doesn't even start spawning until stuff like the Iron Sledgehammer and guns start spawning despite them being "Tier 2" and the Junk Sledge only being "Tier 1".  It's not a primitive age weapon, but it loses in damage to basically everything even in the primitive age, let alone in the  iron age when you get it. He rushed straight to crafting it and it was already out classed

He quite literally traded his futuristic automated sledgehammer for a wooden stick and went back to the stone age wooden club and increased his damage by nearly 50% by going from 14 to 20 . . .rip

You mean to say that one the of the major selling points for a new Alpha is worthless? Nah.. That would be awkward :)

8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

So we are talking about him having (very very roughly) 14+20=34 damage if he were using sledge plus wooden club. Which is supposed to be what an INTelligent player should be doing.

So, if you put a sledge turret on a flat, open area and use the turret like a block for cover. 

Then move around the turret as the zombie moves around it, will the zombie eventually jump on top of it, or will that be a new OP meta?

Edit: Also putting the sledge turret on the opposite side of a door and off to one side, will that be OP?  Just repair the door as the turret kills all zombies on the other side.

19 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

This is honestly an interesting and, in my opinion, fantastic change... but still, it only half-answers my question. 😛 Is one trader guaranteed to spawn per biome, or could you end up in a situation like I described above? (4 in the forest, 1 in the desert. None in the burnt biome? Whoops, tough luck son.)

Unless you can half more than one of each biome in the new RWG instead of 1 biome of each.

Everyone spawns in the forests now, and the trader is usually only 300 meters away.

18 hours ago, Caelen Tigris said:

Ah, so the thirst thresholds are changing? I get the thirsty debuff much earlier than half in A18, but I didn't see any notes about it. I did see that max stamina will no longer be capped by hunger, so that will be much easier to manage. And it looks like overeating/overdrinking is being removed too, and that's really all I wanted numbers for. Bars will work just fine :3

You don't need to over eat, but you can. Rather than the number inflating though the buff feeding your food or water stays on the left longer (digestion). There is no reason to though the new system feels immersive and I only eat when I'm reacting to it being low, or when I need health and I have to eat anyway. Food is my main source of health, pills and medical bandages are conserved.

13 hours ago, Freshmint said:

Fair enough and the new system does seem fulfilling enough with better hitboxes. I just figured it was pretty straightforward to implement even if it was just a small blotch/dot. You guys have made strides on that area in A19 and felt it was the only thing missing. 

Zombies already react to being hit on certain parts of their body, get a little blood splatter from an exact spot and even get disfigured so i thought the ruling was already in place to add decals so you can mark which one you've hit and get just that little bit extra feedback. Its a qol thing which typically is not important i guess, but may actually work easily in internal testing. 

A decal system is pretty involved actually, I doubt we'll get one any time soon.

42 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

So, if you put a sledge turret on a flat, open area and use the turret like a block for cover. 

Then move around the turret as the zombie moves around it, will the zombie eventually jump on top of it, or will that be a new OP meta?

Edit: Also putting the sledge turret on the opposite side of a door and off to one side, will that be OP?  Just repair the door as the turret kills all zombies on the other side.

There is no collision with it, so impossible. You can shoot through doors already, but they usually break. I doubt one will target a zombie or hit one through a door frequently.

4 hours ago, madmole said:

There is no collision with it, so impossible. You can shoot through doors already, but they usually break. I doubt one will target a zombie or hit one through a door frequently.

As one streamer said, Junk Sledge Turrets should rotate 360º to actually be useful in every close range situation within their limits. Wouldn't upset balance one bit.

BUGS:

1-TYPO in IRON GUT PERK. Several times reads "EXERCION" (doesn't exist in english) while probably meaning "EXERTION" (to exert yourself from some kind of exercise)

2- Clip from GRUMBUL stream: dissappearing items with the exact repro in this clip:

https://www.twitch.tv/grumbul/clip/ImpartialCrowdedOkapiStoneLightning

EDIT: While it is very easy to spot the repro steps by watching this clip, I will extend the comment to clarify:

Bug is also in 18.4 and it happened to me once and couldn't repro it until now .

STEPS:

1- Have 2 slots with 2 of the same consumable in the inventory (ANY CONSUMABLE in the game will do : food, books, water or even medicine and broken glass lol). 

2- Said consumables's stack can't be completely full. Example : 9 bottles of red tea and 9 bottles of red tea // 4 first aid and 4 first aid ... etc

3- Consume 1 item from one of the partial stacks.

4- While consuming (animation playing) said item using "A", shift-click in the second stack.

5- As you can see, the shift-clicked stack disappears forever.

3: From Games4kickz stream : Fully modded unusable top tier sniper rifle renders the weapon useless as players can't aim nor see where they are aiming (possibly happens with other new weapons too ) :

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/662205414?t=1h08m55s

I don't know if the second one is a @Gazz thing or a @faatal thing. To me, everyone is a hero these days.

new alpha builds require new starts and new map seeds. you can use same seed just have to get rid of all saved files (use launcher to clean things out)  and then rebuild the map, otherwise you may get errors or unexpected anomalies.

:)
QA Tester-unholyjoe

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived