Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

10 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

True, or just find a working "generator" like ones for job sites, camping, power outage. Gasoline goes bad pretty quickly though, 18 months?

Or is that the 2-stroke bit? Can a common 2-stroke (guessing things like weed wackers/chainsaws?) run for a while on alcohol? Or would you add more/less oil?

Automotive alternators generally require supportive electronics to produce any juice. Regulators used to be seperate bits, but seems most are tied into the ECU now a days.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator_(automotive)#Field_regulation

Solar panel/cell/charge-pad for direct DC might be easiest. Use to charge automotive batteries. If you didn't have a DC-DC charger for the drones battery you could cannablize 'normal' lead-acid auto batteries for their 2.1 Volt cells and wire up a custom one for needed charging voltage. But then you'd need either enough input solar voltage to charge the ~16 volt battery (assuming drone needed >15 volts) or a charger/diode in between solar <-> battery. Or make individual 2.1 Volt batteries then when charged, wire in series to charge the drone..

And I've almost certainly gotten something wrong in this, ha. Been too long since I went mad-scientist in the garage :)

I meant replacing the "battery" on the drone with a small 2 stroke engine (they can be smaller than a chainsaw motor, and I am including the needed fuel tank as part of the engine) with the engine's output either being the generator's drive shaft or routing through some gearing to the generator's drive shaft to generate the DC output needed to run the drone.

1 minute ago, hiemfire said:

I meant replacing the "battery" on the drone with a small 2 stroke engine (they can be smaller than a chainsaw motor) with the engine's output either being the generator's drive shaft or routing through some gearing to the generator's drive shaft to generate the DC output needed to run the drone.

ahh, ok, now I'm following you! Like the old timers RC plane/boat engines. Those were a lot of fun, until you crashed and all that balsa wood exploded into sawdust :( ...

Now that I think about it, making a mashup of a drone that used small RC internal combustion engines to power the rotors, and somehow still steer the thing would be a mad hack. Now I have something to look for on YT, thanks! :biggrin1:

17 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

Well here..... the truth has surfaced... 

❤️ Cats

:D

THAT is difficult to do for a survivor.

But the drone is an OS with simple outputs

And a bunch of lines of code. I did one drone with arduino, and IT IS easy to do and can be compared in difficulty to other contraptions in the game like making a vehicle.

Sure, they can't heal you per se, nor carry weapons for legal reasons. But sure as hell they have collision detection at many light detection capabilities  ( or as faatal would say, " curves " )  You can record voice and put together a database of responses, add little things to it, you name it.

You like the babbling about  because YOU personally don't like it, which is perfectly valid. But watch out, a drone with those abilities already exists in the military barring the "doctor" skills.

4 hours ago, madmole said:

They have to be half empty before you start suffering any side effects. The number is in the character stat page, anyone can tell if the bar is half full.

Ah, so the thirst thresholds are changing? I get the thirsty debuff much earlier than half in A18, but I didn't see any notes about it. I did see that max stamina will no longer be capped by hunger, so that will be much easier to manage. And it looks like overeating/overdrinking is being removed too, and that's really all I wanted numbers for. Bars will work just fine :3

12 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Sure, they can't heal you per se, nor carry weapons for legal reasons.

These are sort of the same existing restriction. If it wasn't for the second, the first would be possible, okay it is possible but you'd get into a @%$*#! ton of trouble, to an extent (more along the lines of enabling you to get to someplace where you could get first aid care) via dart delivery of painkillers, adrenaline, stimulants, etc.

A drone is very much doable and far more believable then auto targeting turrets that only target and fire upon enemies being made from scratch! didnt see any of those people complaining about those...or the lava demons ;) but were complaining about drones...

Its a game...enough said , don't like it , don't use them

32 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

I meant replacing the "battery" on the drone with a small 2 stroke engine (they can be smaller than a chainsaw motor, and I am including the needed fuel tank as part of the engine) with the engine's output either being the generator's drive shaft or routing through some gearing to the generator's drive shaft to generate the DC output needed to run the drone.

That's similar to how Hybrid Vehicles work, though there are a handful of variations you can have, that's a common one and points at the gist of it. They do make a ton of wee little single and two stroke engines, my grandfathers desk was covered in them, and that was wayback, 70's & 80's. One of those and a small tank is another chunk of anatomy that has existed for decades in high quantity. Although brick and mortar hobby shops are rare these days(they do still exist), the market itself is MUCH larger, just online, so it'd mostly be in warehouse storage somewhere...

oh, my goodness, that made me think of something... a POI like an Amazon Fulfillment Center kind of place... maybe when they finally overhaul the Post Office(already on the level guys list) they could come up with some play on Amazon, UPS, DHL, etc. Have a satellite small warehouse/shipping center or two, and then a huge one somewhere would make for another great T5 POI in the future. I bet the level designers thought about this already, those guys seem like they have a HUGE list of ideas they still want to pursue. Hope this is one of them.

5 hours ago, madmole said:

There are tree stumps that give honey everywhere. Anyone who doesn't treat their infection deserves whatever happens. You just have to drop what you are doing and find a stump, but what I do is harvest every stump I see ahead of time and carry some with me. I can eat for food if I get desperate or overstocked.

Only once have I struggled with infection, and that was last week during my horde every night nomad playthrough. Typically my worlds are flooded with tree stumps, but on this particular occasion during the early stages of an infection, it took me quite a while to find one. RNG at its finest - if you want something, it'll never give it to you, but if you lose hope or you outright don't need it, RNG will shower you with that item.

I think of RNG as an ancient and bored omnipotent being with an often sarcastic and witty personality who occasionally likes to get a kick out of toying with us mere mortals. Many superstitions arose to explain its unpredictable ways, including "luck". But perhaps they are all just stories.

1 minute ago, KuriousTurtle said:

That’s what I did when a18 dropped and I ran into some bugs. I can’t quite remember how to do a proper full uninstall. I think Roland had a post about it last year

Delete all of your files beforehand then, outside of isolated folders that you yourself made, such as world copies. I ran into an issue in A18 very recently and after wiping my files in an identical way several times it randomly corrected itself. I also ran into an issue in early A18 where every time I placed down a 4x4 it corrupted my game; that issue was transferred over from A17, when I only did a simple update. I would suggest wiping your files, like I said above.

11 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Delete all of your files beforehand then, outside of isolated folders that you yourself made, such as world copies. I ran into an issue in A18 very recently and after wiping my files in an identical way several times it randomly corrected itself. I also ran into an issue in early A18 where every time I placed down a 4x4 it corrupted my game; that issue was transferred over from A17, when I only did a simple update. I would suggest wiping your files, like I said above.

Thank you, I appreciate. I’ll do that Sunday night after I’ve finished my final A18 playthrough. I’ve got works settings cranked up to see how long I’ll last for one final farewell.

f4thxiF.png

TFW you get off work glance at the forum thread after looking away for 12 hours

Has any streamer done an in depth test of the Junk Sledge yet?!

5 hours ago, madmole said:

You should see me make avatars of them

Make one of me as the defacto miner player with junk turrets duct taped all over me! Junk Turrets are the single greatest thing to happen to miners since the Auger tbh. Throw those things down to watch your back and auger away in peace

10 hours ago, madmole said:

Nope, that will require a whole new system. Pain animations and sounds aren't enough? I always know I hit a zombie or not.

Fair enough and the new system does seem fulfilling enough with better hitboxes. I just figured it was pretty straightforward to implement even if it was just a small blotch/dot. You guys have made strides on that area in A19 and felt it was the only thing missing. 

Zombies already react to being hit on certain parts of their body, get a little blood splatter from an exact spot and even get disfigured so i thought the ruling was already in place to add decals so you can mark which one you've hit and get just that little bit extra feedback. Its a qol thing which typically is not important i guess, but may actually work easily in internal testing. 

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

So... Jawoodle found a level one double barrel at the beginning of his game (at 8:05 on his video)... The loot rebalance isn't quite perfect it seems. 😛

Shh, it is experimental. And we are the guinea pigs. 

Archived