Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Whaaa????

A18 runs much better than A16 and much much much better than A17.

That depends on your computer specs. People who don't have extra processors or decent graphics cards are reporting a reduction in performance. Hell. my oldest potato ran A16 reasonably, it won't even run A18 at all.

That depends on your computer specs. People who don't have extra processors or decent graphics cards are reporting a reduction in performance. Hell. my oldest potato ran A16 reasonably, it won't even run A18 at all.

This is true in my experience as well, and while my computer certainly isn't a new gaming computer, it's not a "potato" either.

But, I don't think anyone can deny that A18 runs much better than A17, and in general performance has been returning since the big dip due to the engine upgrade.

This is true in my experience as well, and while my computer certainly isn't a new gaming computer, it's not a "potato" either.

But, I don't think anyone can deny that A18 runs much better than A17, and in general performance has been returning since the big dip due to the engine upgrade.

I've no shortage of computers to plaly on but when I have to knock the graphics down to the lowest setting on a dedicated gaming laptop to get a decent framerate there's got to be a problem somewhere.

To put it into perspective, I can run Space Engineers while on a 120k voxel planet with barely a ripple but I can't get a decent framerate on a 16k 7dtd map?

Whaaa????

A18 runs much better than A16 and much much much better than A17.

Also no suprise that a game that started in 2013 ( i think?^^) develops better graphics and features wich in return demand higher Hardware.

Sure, there needs further optimization to be done but as you said, there has been allready a lot of progress.

Also no suprise that a game that started in 2013 ( i think?^^) develops better graphics and features wich in return demand higher Hardware.

Sure, there needs further optimization to be done but as you said, there has been allready a lot of progress.

That's a fair point but TFP seem to be aiming for hardware that very few people have access to yet. We're getting to the stage where only the top 10% of gamers are able to see the funky new graphics in all their glory.

Every game could look like the film "Avatar", unfortunately it would render at about the same rate... several hours per frame on what is essentially a supercomputer.

That's a fair point but TFP seem to be aiming for hardware that very few people have access to yet. We're getting to the stage where only the top 10% of gamers are able to see the funky new graphics in all their glory.

Every game could look like the film "Avatar", unfortunately it would render at about the same rate... several hours per frame on what is essentially a supercomputer.

Oh, cmon guys, I was just gonna have a good game in Minecr...I mean 7 days to die..

PImps aim on certain appearance and performance among all the complicated systems behind what we see. It is a voxel based game, primarily, that takes a lot, but what they continue to upgrade is thanks to the technology evolving with the years. They could have locked it in A13, but they keep kicking, and don`t forget there is so much of a balance and optimizations to be done :p

There has been significant work to DMS. I don't know the details so I haven't added it. I do know every trader has their own music and that players have music in their fort now if the threat level is low. No that doesn't mean music is a giveaway to incoming zeds, but if you run into your base surrounded by zombies its not going to play the player base theme.

Nice! So it's when you don't hear it, worry. I get that, it's like that in nature so why not in the game. :)

Oh, cmon guys, I was just gonna have a good game in Minecr...I mean 7 days to die..

PImps aim on certain appearance and performance among all the complicated systems behind what we see. It is a voxel based game, primarily, that takes a lot, but what they continue to upgrade is thanks to the technology evolving with the years. They could have locked it in A13, but they keep kicking, and don`t forget there is so much of a balance and optimizations to be done :p

This is the worst performing voxel game with the smallest map that I own. I'm fortunate that I have the hardware to run it well, many others aren't so lucky.

The voxel engine isn't the issue.

I don't know what you're guys talking about, but when it comes to quality, this single picture is enough of a proof for me that this game finally starts to look like a modern zombie game with that super unique feature of destructible world. Sure, it looked good before and I loved this game even when it was all blocky like Minecraft, I even miss that look sometimes, but now it's getting that modern AAA "Dying Light" like look that will sell millions of copies and I mean this with no irony whatsoever.

w0bOpid.jpg

Nice shot. RG?

This is the worst performing voxel game with the smallest map that I own. I'm fortunate that I have the hardware to run it well, many others aren't so lucky.

Ok, what are these other True voxel games? Only one i know is minecraft, and you cant really compare them.

Not an issue, no doubt. It is one of the best parts in the game, with it`s advantages and disadvantages, it was just an example.

Performance is something that everyone has been kicked by, getting a bit higher requirements is inevitable. I hope it is not a big kick for everyone though.

Nice shot. RG?

You mean Random Gen? I would like to know that too, I guess only devs could answer that, but in the twitter post which showed this image they mentioned that the POI behind the zombie is a new one that was not in Alpha 18 yet, so unless they are working hard on upgrading Navezgane, I would guess this is indeed a randomly generated world and it looks pretty cool. It's getting to that stage where it doesn't really matter where you look, you see some fancy stuff that makes it feel realistic. :)

Ok, what are these other True voxel games? Only one i know is minecraft, and you cant really compare them.

You really need to try an unpowered orbital drop in Space Engineers, don't start the engines until the last minute. Possibly the most fun experience you can have while clothed. The company who produce it suck and there's very little in the way in the way of guided content but if you want to make a custom trebuchet from scratch that'll literally launch you to the nearest moon I can't think of many other games that'll let you do it. :-)

Their voxel engine uses an octree system to render which is significantly different from either minecraft or 7dtd.

It has that kind of vibe of Navezgane, can't quite put my finger on it why do I feel that way about it, but it could also be random gen too. Maybe it's already that much better in Alpha 19.

idk about that their are a few missing like Berserker bills, the clinic, some of the western POIs, and a few i may have missed

Actually there are many new POIs that never made it to Navezgane yet. Like that big construction area, I think that was never added to Navezgane.

The Construction site skyscraper ?

The tall naked building with the big yellow crane that his rods on the horizontal beam don`t fall apart when you or a zed activates the mine in the middle of it.

The Construction site skyscraper ?

The tall naked building with the big yellow crane that his rods on the horizontal beam don`t fall apart when you or a zed activates the mine in the middle of it.

Yeah, I haven't seen that one in Navezgane. Maybe it's there, but I haven't seen it.

idk about that their are a few missing like Berserker bills, the clinic, some of the western POIs, and a few i may have missed

this also makes me think that they will "expand" navezgane due to a area in the Wasteland that looks like a PERFECT area to make a City due to lap post, and roads shaped like ones in citys.

EVb2k7DWkAEsZ-4?format=jpg&name=small

Archived