Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

To be fair, five minutes asking stupid questions to an expert will save you five hours of googling. If you don't know the keywords to look for the information can be incredibly difficult to find.

That said, many moons ago when facebook was cool (before they started doing mass mind control experiments) I used to help out a lot on programming pages and quite often I'd just post a link to a relevant stack overflow page... as you may have noticed, the habit stuck :-)

Yeah well, Facebook is beyond a shadow of a doubt going down the same gutter that MySpace shares, even if the transition will be quite bit less obvious and will take more time. I wonder which will social media platform will become the next Facebook? Hmm...

It's one of those circle of life kind of things, I suppose.

Damn, just realized it's only like 6 or 7 OGs posting. Where did everybody go? Not just this thread either.

Anyway, @madmole - Seems like you guys are growing fast. Is your ultimate goal to be a AAA studio? I mean if you do plan to go that big then getting publisher would probably have to be a must so there is pros and cons for both.

Any "spoilers" on how common candy will be? 50% of a vending machine's contents? More? Only a couple per? (My only concern here, if it is even valid in the first place, is multiplayer worlds where food would be even more scarce as a result. **Perhaps making vending machines show their contents client side and not server side could be a solution here? I don't play multiplayer however, so I might just be talking out of my hat.)

(**Then again, maybe they already do. I have no clue.)

It takes up a good portion of the vending machine's inventory so food is less available by design.

Damn, just realized it's only like 6 or 7 OGs posting. Where did everybody go? Not just this thread either.

Anyway, @madmole - Seems like you guys are growing fast. Is your ultimate goal to be a AAA studio? I mean if you do plan to go that big then getting publisher would probably have to be a must so there is pros and cons for both.

No ambition to partner with a publisher, nor really be AAA, but we would like to make great games that might look or feel AAA, but have the game play we like. I think lots of studios get stupid big and the burn rate is ridiculous. They throw away multiple half finished games because nobody has any passion, its whatever funding you can get for x y z. That is no way to build a studio or build a brand IMO.

Its just a matter of time when we replace or update things. We're adding new things to fill the void, and then upgrading old stuff. I just replaced the couches last week, the modular sectional ones, they have been around since A1 if I recall.

Lots of memories with those couches. RiP...lol

No ambition to partner with a publisher, nor really be AAA, but we would like to make great games that might look or feel AAA, but have the game play we like. I think lots of studios get stupid big and the burn rate is ridiculous. They throw away multiple half finished games because nobody has any passion, its whatever funding you can get for x y z. That is no way to build a studio or build a brand IMO.

Good answer ?

Lots of memories with those couches. RiP...lol

Ahh yes, the cloud of moths enveloping the room, the dust bunnies forming great colonies underneath, the cockroaches scuttling up your arms while the termites make their way into your teeth... Where was I getting with this?

Edit: ****, that rhymed.

Not every early access game is great I have to admit but there are some VERY good examples of top tier games emerging from this type of setup and I for one am very glad that there is an alternative and successful way to make really good games.

This one is almost the perfect example of it. The game is gorgeous and keeps getting better. The gameplay is engrossing and rewarding and still it gets better with each iteration.

It is clear to see that the people who are making it really love it and for them it's more than a money making vehicle. It is a passion, an artistic expression in a modern medium and we are the beneficiaries of that expression.

Lotsa love and many kudos for their efforts and long may they hold onto that passion and determination to make the best possible thing that they can make. I've been on the train now for almost 2000 hours and I'm not getting off anytime soon.

I literally have no idea what that is, so I'm not being rude, I'm saying I'm not the kind of guy looking at new stuff and hoping its going to save the day on performance. I'm looking at optimizing using standard tried and true methods that work on all platforms, like cleaner UVs, designers adhering to poly count standards, etc. I buy the best hardware about 3500 can get me every 3 years and it works great but I'm not looking at new hardware coming out at all. I still don't know what Vulcan is and never will. Its not my job. If programmers come to me and say "we gotta do this" then I'd be ok what is it and what does that do for us. That is more engine level stuff so Unity can take care of it for us.

I understand. This might not be the best time to bring the subject up. BTW, AWESOME couch models.. Well done.

I just noticed the new couches at the beginning of this thread. Added 1 hour ago? Nice!

Edit: I love how the plaid design was kept. Like a hommage to the old replaced one. Great job lol!

thats old news now... you need to be faster :)

the plaid looks much better now.

How's the terrain generation of the biomes looking in A19? Any major alterations between the current alpha and the next?

Also, I've noticed you've re-done the texture model for the LCB; it resembles the A16 version back when it was made of iron. Is the recipe still going to be 5 stones?

Just waiting for the update, so I can litter the world with thrown spears until it crashes the game.

Not really much to talk about other than how stupid people are in acting like a slightly worse flu season is the toilet paper apocalypse, and shutting down the planet so people actually starve lel.

With the ongoing lockdowns, I've been itching to sink my teeth into this game again. Are there any time estimates for A19 alpha release?

Plenty of them, none of them very accurate and none of them any time soon. :-)

There'll be some teaser vids released beforehand and the forum will be going crazy with the hype train.

Archived